Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Official Final Fantasy Monster Taming Thread

This is a discussion on Official Final Fantasy Monster Taming Thread within the Final Fantasy XIII-2 forum, part of the F; With 13-2 being released i thought it would be a great idea to create a thread where we can discuss ...

Huge Skip Bayless fan.

Official Final Fantasy Monster Taming Thread

With 13-2 being released i thought it would be a great idea to create a thread where we can discuss the monsters regarding their locations, strength/weaknesses, rarity etc. it would be useful to know which monsters to find and upgrade instead of wasting time and CP on weak monsters. if you have anything to say about any monster then please share .

P.S. if this thread somehow affects the trophy guide then please let me know so i can close it or if a moderator wants to do it then feel free to. Thank you.
    Last edited by DaveyHasselhoff; 02-11-2012 at 01:10 PM.

Formerly known as UrbanHellraiser

Platinum Procrastinator

I haven't merged any monsters together yet because honestly, I wasn't paying much attention in the tutorial and forgot how to do it. However I'll list some of the monsters I've been using so far.

- A level 30 Cait Sith (MED)
    - A level 20 Svarog (COM) (Draon/Bird type creature)
    - A level 20 (Max level) Citcuitron (RAV) (Bomb type creature)
    - A level 30 Chocobo (COM)

Current Team:
    - A level 13 Cactuarina (MED) (Cactuar creature which is hidden)
    - A level 28 Chichu (COM) (Little Plant like creature which is hidden)
    - A level 20 (Max level) Citcuitron (RAV)
    Last edited by Denaratuck; 02-03-2012 at 09:55 AM.
    Like TV shows, join the Small Screen Gossip group!

In2
    January MOTM

Current Team:

- A level 15 Buccaboo Ace (RAV) (Robot Type)
    - A level 19 Flanitor (MED) (Slime Type)
    - A level 20 (Max Level) Orion (COM) (Big Militarized Robot)

PRO Member

I found the Pulse Knight (found at Bresha Ruins 005 AF) to be a very useful Sentinel for a lot of the game. It's attainable early, very cheap to maintain (as it maxes out at level 20), and with a max HP around 2,300, a well-qualified damage sponge. Obviously it gets outgrown eventually, but it was quite helpful when I wanted to speed through the main storyline and punch a little above my weight. Besides, most players don't enjoy playing hands-on as a Sentinel, so that takes care of that issue.

Later in the game, while nearing the end of the main story, I would suggest replacing the Pulse Knight with the Bunkerbeast (Yaschas Massif 100 AF). Between that and a Buccaboo Ace (Archylte Steppe ? AF) as a Ravager, my tamed monsters were at or surpassing the strength of my main party - less the versatility, of course.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I don't understand how the fusion system works. You're supposedly meant to get stronger monsters, but when I fused a level 12 Gremlin (RAV) to a level 23 Zwerf Droidborg (RAV) or whatever it's called (little red robot in Bresha Ruins, 10AF, the first monster you get in the taming monster tutorial along with Cait Sith) the droid only got a measly 2 points increase in attack and 5 points increase in magic. Considering that I've about halfway through chapter 3 and thus don't have much money yet, Getting the ingredients were pricey for me, and the results were poor. Would be great if anyone has any fusing tips or worked out the system.

As of yet (chpt 3 so far so yeah, excuse the poor team) my monster team consists of:
    -Cait sith lv 17 MED
    -Zwerg Droidborg (again, I can't remember the exact name of that robot) - lv 24 RAV
    -Giant orange insect thing in Oerba 200AF (sorry I can't remember its name at all) - lv 7 SAB

I don't like either Cait or Zwerg, and will be looking to replace them as soon as I find something big and ugly/badass that fit their roles. I like my SAB monster though, it goes great in a sab-sab-syn paradigm (Serah being the other sab) and it looks cool.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Fusing doesn't become useful until you can invest (normally) a decent amount of material into a monster you're just going to fuse into another. Usually the best type of fusions to perform is from monsters who aren't all that special by themselves, but have very good abilities/stats that would prove to further enhance one of your true monsters you intend to use for battle. Or even just look at one of your monsters weaknesses, you could use another monsters stats/skills learned to compensate for it. Its a very robust system and it makes it so you don't feel your materials have gone to waste when you find new more powerful monsters.

My current team:
    Cloudburst Lv.40
    Flanitor lvl 34. (may it into another monster)
    Silver Chocobo lvl.45

Bringing the PAIN

I am now using...

Cait Sith(Medic) - 41
    Silver Chocobo(Sentinel) - 5
    Chocobo(Commando) - 34
    Oannes(Synergist) - 10
    Garchimacera(Ravager) - 32

Haven't had much need of an outside Sab yet so I let Noel and Serah handle that mostly. I will probably switch out Cait Sith very soon for Cactuarina as she seems to have better stats. But it also seems that finding Orbs to lvl up your rank 3 creatures is not so easy. So looking for a good place to farm some of those at now.

Avi by:dsluckay
    Sig by:In2

Platinum Procrastinator

Quote Originally Posted by NOFORPAIN View Post
    But it also seems that finding Orbs to lvl up your rank 3 creatures is not so easy. So looking for a good place to farm some of those at now.
    I had the same problem. However, now two of my monsters require rank 4 orbs so I can't level them at all. Chocolina recently started carrying rank 2 orbs in her store so I don't know if she'll ever carry rank 4 and 5 ones.

Huge Skip Bayless fan.

when you guys are levelling up both characters and monsters do you try to have their roles at the same level or give preference on certain levels. for me im at the part where im just about to fight caius with noel and serah. both characters are level 13 in all their roles and my monsters are cat sith level 10, a monster that looks like a dog (they were in 13 and travelled across the steppe) at level 8, and a bat fat bat looking thing at level 1 (is a ravager role). what level should i take tehm all and which monsters should i swap out?

Formerly known as UrbanHellraiser

Platinum Procrastinator

For leveling, I try to go for specific roles. For example with Serah I concentrated on RAV, MED, and SAB early on. With Noel I concentrated on COM, SYN, and SEN. Believe it or not, Noel is the better SYN and Serah is the better SAB.

For my monsters, I just determine which Paradigms I want to use. I find the following very effective and haven't had many problems yet.

Serah / Noel / Monster
    RAV / COM / COM (Aggression)
    COM / COM / COM (Cerberus)
    RAV/ RAV / SEN (Mystic Tower)
    SAB / SYN / MED (Evened Odds)
    SEN / SEN / SEN (Tortoise-X)
    RAV / COM / MED (Diversity)

Before I found a good SEN (Silver Chocobo), I used a RAV so insetad of having (RAV/RAV/SEN) and (SEN/SEN/SEN) I used (RAV/RAV/RAV) and (SEN/SEN/MED)

In2
    January MOTM

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanHellraiser View Post
    when you guys are levelling up both characters and monsters do you try to have their roles at the same level or give preference on certain levels. for me im at the part where im just about to fight caius with noel and serah. both characters are level 13 in all their roles and my monsters are cat sith level 10, a monster that looks like a dog (they were in 13 and travelled across the steppe) at level 8, and a bat fat bat looking thing at level 1 (is a ravager role). what level should i take tehm all and which monsters should i swap out?

That's one tough SOB that Caius, you better grind a lot of CP and level up because if you're not strong enough he will destroy you. I'd say Lv 13 is not high enough.
    For your monsters, it's different for every monsters. Some have a Max cap Lv of 20 and others can go above 30-40.
    You have to level them up and see for yourself.

Bringing the PAIN

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanHellraiser View Post
    Urban... You need ALOT more lvling before you face him in Oerba 200AF. He is actually stronger there than most of the bosses you will face until end of the game. Go fragment hunting and do some side areas to build your lvls up my friend...

Quote Originally Posted by Denaratuck View Post
    I had the same problem. However, now two of my monsters require rank 4 orbs so I can't level them at all. Chocolina recently started carrying rank 2 orbs in her store so I don't know if she'll ever carry rank 4 and 5 ones.
    Ok well just after posting I found out that Dying World 700AF and New Bodhum 700AF you can easily get 5 stars and almost EVERYTHING drops LVL3 upgrade items. No more worries! :thumsbup: And also I just got to Academia 500AF and she starts selling LVL3 items now. I am sure that farther you go the more she sells.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

where i can find item to upgrade CLOUDBURST AND PULSEWORK GLADIATOR

Korean Girl Group Groupie

Pulsework Gladitor is in the southwest tunnel area of Bresha Ruins (005 AF) and Cloudburst (which was a bitch to find) is in Grave Ridge (southern most) area of Archylte Steppe (??? AF) most easily during Cloudy weather (try especially around the yellow teleportation cactaur area if having trouble).

Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Anyone know where the other locations for the Fencer (think that's what it's called, it looks like Orion)? I'm in the process of building up my Chichu as recommended by some online monster guides, and I need one of them to fuse. I know I've faced at least one since it's in my bestiary, but I can't remember if I've encountered anymore and I'm loath to reset the gate,seeing as I don't even know where to find the gate seal and I don't feel like wading through throngs of useless ghasts. Is a godly Chichu even necessary to face the final boss anyway? Just about wrapping up chapter 4 so no spoilers please...

Also, what is the catch rate of all Chocobos? I've fought a dozen of these overgrown birds and only gotten 3 normal chocobos

Korean Girl Group Groupie

Quote Originally Posted by Thowra View Post
    Anyone know where the other locations for the Fencer (think that's what it's called, it looks like Orion)?

Also, what is the catch rate of all Chocobos? I've fought a dozen of these overgrown birds and only gotten 3 normal chocobos
    Fencer is one of the more annoying monsters, only spawns in Academia (400 AF) as one of the possible gate guards in fixed positions. I believe there are only 3 up on a time at the map, and the tame rate is pretty low. You'd have reseal to keep fighting them and I really doubt it's worth the effort.

Chocobos have about a 10-15% chance of being caught and for the most part aren't too difficult to find. I personally think the Green Chocobo from Yaschas Massif's side maps is the worst because of how long the enemy lists are in both zones. Shouldn't worry too much about Chocobos until post game, unless it's a Gold or Silver bred for racing (or Sentinel in the case of Silver).

No monster is really that much needed for end game and each class has 4-5 solid finds that won't take hours or the rare monster fragment skill to find, so I wouldn't fret too much about maxing out your third wheels.

Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

\(^o^)/ (・。・)

Right now, I am entering Episode 6 and already have set up my own favourite monster pack, complete with random names. Below are the details, names being in brackets!

1: Chichu (Marley) | Commando - A really, really MEAN DPS machine. Able to pump up to over 1,000 STR and with the fastest attack speed, full ATB bar and ATB recharge on attack, this small, lovely pea-pod can really whither down tougher bosses' HP like no other. I also put on Lightning's mask on her for cute effect.

2: Bunkerbeast (Argon) | Sentinel - Infusing Pulse Knight's Mediguard into him, as well as Resist Physical, Elements and Magic, makes him a mean tank machine, ideal for the Mystic Tower formation (and others) - Ravager, Ravager, Sentinel. Along with high HP, he can survive just about any attack out there.

3: Cloudburst (Diedrich) | Ravager - Always with the useful Feral Link ability, Friendly Fire, buffing up all allies with just 4 button taps. One of the best Ravagers in the game, albeit with only two specialized elements (but that is easily ignored by infusing the other two elements into Cloudburst, making him a complete elemental Ravager!). Chain boost bonuses really can pump up the stagger meter to 999.99% easily.

If you are interested in capturing these monsters for your own perusal, here are their locations:

1: Chichu - You must have the Improved Moogle Throw from Mog's Manifestation Skill Fragment. Once you reach New Bodhum 700 AF (or Episode 4, I think), simply go to Serendipity as soon as you unlock it. Go to the southwest building and talk to the Mystic there who will give you fragment skills in exchange for fragments, one of them being Improved Moogle Throw (I am not sure if you have to find the fragment first). Then, head for Archylte Steppes and stop by the one red cactuar statue right outside of the village; you will see a flower patch nearby. Simply throw the Mog into the flower patch and you will get this lovely pea-pod!

2: Bunkerbeast - Found in Yaschas Massif 100 AF, after unlocking the gate to there in Academia 400 AF with a Wild Artefact. Simply go around initiating random encounters until you find him. I found him in a narrow passageway, so that should give you some ideas on where.

3: Cloudburst - Found on Archylte Steppes' Stonestump Wastelands, which is to the south of the village; simply go south until the name of the location pops up on the screen. Is a box-like monster, so you should have no trouble identifying him. May have to change the weather until you find him, I think.

Ok then, that is it! Have fun, and FFXIII-2 is ADDICTING like hell. I feel like my own Pokemon master, teehee. =3
    | Avatar by In2 | | Sig by Athena |

Aes Dana

Is it possible to purchase lvl 4 and lvl 5 monster materials from Chocolina at some point?

\(^o^)/ (・。・)

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless-Enigma View Post
    Is it possible to purchase lvl 4 and lvl 5 monster materials from Chocolina at some point?
    Here is the list of potent and non-potent materials and their locations:

(Link from GameFAQs: Monster Material 1.0 - Final Fantasy XIII-2 Message Board for PlayStation 3 - GameFAQs)

Toggle Spoiler

| Avatar by In2 | | Sig by Athena |

Bringing the PAIN

Well a different kinda post here... But I found a super rare monster! I was in Archlyte Steppe trying to catch a cloudburst for a better RAV when all of a sudden, a black hole opened behind me! Unsure as to what it was I went ahead and attacked it... I was EXTREMELY surprised when a Metal Gigantuar showed up on screen!!!

Now I will say I didnt check what his role was cuz I figured I would take him out quick enough to check my bestiary and find out after. But the asshole counts down about 5-6 seconds and does a 10k needles attack! Killed my almost max lvl party in 2 hits! Watch for this one. I saw him near the ravine that you jump to go to the little lake area. It was the southern most ramp into the ravine where he showed.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast