Valfodr lv70 help?

This is a discussion on Valfodr lv70 help? within the Final Fantasy XIII-2 forum, part of the F; Hmm, not sure if anyone still plays FFXIII-2 at this point as this entire forum has been rather quiet, but ...

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Valfodr lv70 help?

Hmm, not sure if anyone still plays FFXIII-2 at this point as this entire forum has been rather quiet, but I need some serious help with Valfodr on level 70. I tried beating him for over 4 hours with no success.

Originally I tried to kill his chichus then stagger him, but realised I couldn't keep up with the chichu population so I switched to attacking him and ignoring chichu. Still no success.

My paradigms:
    COM COM COM (serah, noel, omega)
    RAV RAV COM (serah, noel, omega)
    RAV RAV COM (serah, noel, omega)
    MED MED SENT (serah, noel, xolotl)
    MED SYN SYN (serah, noel, chocobo)
    MED SYN SENT (serah, noel, xolotl)

approx stats: (including weapons+equipment)
    Serah 600 str, 900 mag, 7000hp, weapon from neochu that increases atb charge
    Noel 900 str, 600 mag, 9000hp, romulus&remus
    omega 1300st, 900 mag, 9000hp (infused using the 'aspir siphon' build, only I kept magic +36% and left out auto bravery)
    xolotl 10,000hp
    chocobo 600str, 1000mag, 7000hp (not infused with anything so only knows the default syn moves like bravery, faith, veil)
    Everyone is maxed. I didn't buy any of the DLC packs aside from this one - so I only have snow and omega. My main ravager is cloudburst with 1200mag and 7000hp, but I haven't taught it any moves aside from the default. HMy other commando is chichu with 1200 mag and 8000hp. He has been built using the 'godly' chichu build, only I retained the magic + 36% and ignored pack mentality.

My method:
    Start battle with MED/SYN/SYN when everyone is buffed go into RAV/RAV/COM and switch between the two until he is staggered. Raise chain to 999% and go into COM/COM/COM. From there, once he gets out of stagger, he will summon chichus. I then start to hit-and-run, using RAV/RAV/COM until I'm weak and switch to MED/MED/SENT until everyone's green, quickly go to COM/COM/COM to keep up chain, switch into MED/SYN/SYN or MED/SYN/SENT until buffed, then repeat cycle. Eventually the guy's eyes glow red; combined with the chichus' barrage of attacks I can no longer keep up and am forced constantly into MED/MED/SENT. Even potions and phoenix downs aren't fast enough to heal me.

Loads of people say to use SAB to debuff, but for some stupid reason NONE of my debuffs ever go onto him so I pretty much gave up with that method. To test it I used a SAB SAB SAB paradigm right at the beginning and kept going at it until the chichus arrived. This was probably half a minute. Half a minute with 3 sabs, and not a single debuff sticks, this just shows that there's no point debuffing him.

Are my stats too low or what? Bear in mind I never minmaxed any of my characters, but I simply can't go through the thought of starting all over again just to beat this stupid mechanical centaur
    Last edited by Thowra; 06-07-2012 at 10:54 PM.
    Eeyup.

Fight Off Your Demons

Okay, so after reading this I decided to try this battle out and got him on my third attempt. Bear in mind my Serah and Noel are a bit stronger than yours, but that shouldn't be too big of a deal. Put as much +mag equip on serah as possible, and I used Noel with Grasitha and brawlers wristband/power wristband/delicate power wristbands. It doesn't matter much which of those you use, just as long as you have at least 3 of those types to get the vampiric strike syth ability to at least 5%. This will help keep you out of healing paradigms. The monsters I used were Lightning (rav, but your cloudburst should be fine, might wanna infuse him with a few bombs to get other elemental abilities though), chichu (your omega should work out fine) and purple chocobo.

My paradigms:

Com/com/com- reg
    rav/rav/rav - wide
    sab/sab/syn- x
    med/sen/syn - reg
    rav/sen/com - wide
    med/sen/com - reg

The delta attack (rav/sen/com) I didn't really end up using at all, so you could probably replace it w/ another com/com/com to use for atb refreshes. Basically I started out in sab/sab/syn, after one turn went into tri-disaster to raise the chain, then went back to sab/sab/syn until deshell/deprotect/imperil were all stuck. It's easier to stick them when his chain is higher, so you should have better luck with that. After they stuck I got his chain to 999% using tri-disaster, then switched to cerberus to put on as much damage as possible before he brings the first chichus in. Once he does, it's just a matter of switching between tri-disaster and cerberus to keep his chain going and take out the chichus he brings in. Always have your party leader target Valfodr, as when you go to cerberus your other 2 coms will take care of the chichus. Heal when you need to, depending if you need to refresh buffs for keep the chain up to decide what paradigm you need. I just put delta attack incase the chichus were overwhelming me but I didn't need to heal, but never seemed to occur. Overall the battle took about 5 minutes, but with lower stats it may take a bit longer. Debuff again as necessary, but try to do it when his chain is higher, it'll be easier to land them. You can always use cloudbursts feral link to refresh buffs too.

Sorry, that was a bit wordy. If you have any questions or it's not working for you, lemme know and I'll retune the strategy.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Thanks! Your tip with getting the debuffs to stick worked once I got his chain gauge up. Unfortunately I couldn't play for very long today (about 40min) and he killed me twice in that time with that gancragh (however it's spelt) attack. It's the chichus that are the main problem though; whenever I kill a batch he just summons more! Then he casts bravera and they headbutt the crap out of whoever they're attacking.

Using your strategy I managed to whittle down his health to about less than a quarter, but then that ultimate g-attack and bolverk start coming more often and I run out of time to heal. Is there a pattern/time period where he summons chichu? If those pesky little onions didn't exist I would've killed val long ago. Is there some way to stop him summoning, or am I just taking too long to fight him?

I'm going to have another crack at him tomorrow with your recommended paradigms. Hopefully I can defeat him this time round. Not looking forward to the lv99 fight, although I've heard that he's easier that 99...
    Eeyup.

Fight Off Your Demons

The constant chichus are definitely the hardest part of the battle. That I've found there isn't really a way to stop him summoning, once you kill the last one or very shortly after, he seems to summon more. Having Chichu as your com will help with the bravera cast, since he has bravery feeder and will take it off them and cast it on himself instead. You might wanna experiment with changing the offensive paradigms to X instead of regular or wide, and focusing on one chichu at a time until there is only one left, then focusing on Valfodr. By having one left it'll make the damage easy to deal with and may prevent him from summoning more, at least for a little while, but I'm not positive on this since I didn't try it.

Instead of com/sen/rav, I would replace that with sen/sen/(com or syn) and switch to it whenever he uses his ultimate attack. I never had to deal with that during this battle, it must come in after a certain time frame, but as many sen as possible is the way to deal with it. If you are still having issues, you may want to replace your purple choco with a sen (I like goblin chieftain purely because of his feral link over other sens, or snow has a ton of health if you have him).

The real key to this battle for me was getting rid of the chichus as fast as possible to prevent going to a healing paradigm, and allow a round or two of tri-disaster on Valfodr to increase his chain. Cerberus really helped, since Chichu and Noel took out the horde pretty fast, especially with me spamming ruinga on Valfodr as much as possible when they were out.

Good luck with this one and lvl 99. 99 is easier in the sense that he doesn't summon anyone, but with pretty quick constant attacks, him buffing himself (which chichu does a good job at stealing most of them ) and over 15 million hp, he's not a walk in the park by any means. Took me about 22 min to beat him lol.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

YES! I finally beat him. This was what my battle results looked like:

easy mode
    target time: 18min
    battle duration: 37min

*hangs head in shame* man I seriously fail at this...

In the end I had chichu, cloudburst and snow. Didn't use cloudburst very much as I hid in the diversity paradigm for most of the battle and chipped away at his health. The vampire strike ability was epic in that I never needed to heal Noel, which was what kept me alive for so long as I only needed to heal Serah or Snow when necessary which saved a tonne of time - thanks for that tip!

Now to beating him at 99 and finally getting his crystal...
    And once that happens I think I'll try and get the battle duration down to under 10min on normal mode
    Eeyup.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Does any of the DLC help much on this game???

Fight Off Your Demons

Most of it, no, not at all. It's mostly just stuff that extends your play through or if you are replaying it. The weapons are okay, but not better than anything else you can get in the game, and will never end up being the best in the game. The costumes give no bonuses what so ever, just purely cosmetic changes. The coliseum battles are fun, but most of them you have to be fully leveled to really stand a chance. The Omega and Lightning/Amodar battles you can get away with lower level parties though.

Sazh's DLC doesn't require battling, and you can get him at a very early stage in the game (he can actually be your first monster) so he can be pretty useful. I did my second play through and got him right away, and having a good offensive SYN that early can really help you power through the game.

Lightning's ROTG DLC can be really usefull as well, but I wouldn't suggest it until after you've played through the game, because it has A TON of spoilers. You'll basically see the ending before you even know whats going on, so if you do plan on playing it, I suggest skipping all the cutscenes until after you beat the game, then go back and play it. That being said, when you do get her, she is one of the best (if not the best) COM in the game, and you can unlock her as soon as you open up the Historia Crux just like Sazh.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Yeah, I agree with Beam, DLC's aren't required to finish/platinum this game. When I got all trophies many months ago, the only DLC I had was Omega, and he wasn't even being used as at that point I was still a bit of a noob and didn't know how to infuse to create strong monsters. This explains why my characters are so weak and why my chichu (the first monster I built) is so underpowered.

The sad thing with most of the DLC characters is that you'll have to practically be maxed/finish the game to get them. Some of the battles are far too hard/time consuming for an unmaxed party. This kind of makes them pointless because by that stage a lot of people will have just moved on to another game. It's only people who are really dedicated that continue playing and testing the game mechanics. I myself quit the game right after I finished it and only picked it up again last week when I saw how cool Noel looked in his Ezio outfit. Plus I wanted a giant robot centaur on my team. Love steve blum's voice I can still hear Valfodr screaming 'HHHMMMPH! COWERRRR!' Whenever he's blasting away at Raspatil and his ugly cronies.
    Eeyup.