Question about servers

This is a discussion on Question about servers within the Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn forum, part of the F; I have tended to stay away from MMOs, but was sold on this after playing it at a friend's house, ...

Lvl 8 - Gold

Question about servers

I have tended to stay away from MMOs, but was sold on this after playing it at a friend's house, so I bought the game, installed it, and created a character. When I went to select a server for the character (I chose Exodus), I didn't see if there was a capacity issue with the server. My question is if I could switch servers for the character, as my understanding is that you can't play with someone on a different server.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

For the most part you cant. Duty finder will group you with random players from all servers, but that is the only way you will play with players from different servers . Yes you will be able to switch servers, im not sure when tho.

Lvl 8 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by drunkinslacker View Post
    For the most part you cant. Duty finder will group you with random players from all servers, but that is the only way you will play with players from different servers . Yes you will be able to switch servers, im not sure when tho.
    According to my buddy that got me started in the game, we're going to be able to switch sometime this week. I wish it was sooner, because I keep getting booted (I have a shitty internet connection, as I live on the edge of a swamp, so internet connection can come and go with no warning) and when I go to get back on, the server is at max capacity.

DON'T BLINK

They are implementing new servers today into tomorrow and all worlds will be down when that starts. There have been rumors of free server changes once the new worlds open but nothing is set in stone as far as I have seen. IF they do offer that, I'd imagine that it's only from current servers to new ones, not to an existing server.

Final Fantasy XIV Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mikesorrell View Post
    I have tended to stay away from MMOs, but was sold on this after playing it at a friend's house, so I bought the game, installed it, and created a character. When I went to select a server for the character (I chose Exodus), I didn't see if there was a capacity issue with the server. My question is if I could switch servers for the character, as my understanding is that you can't play with someone on a different server.
    Yes you will be able to switch eventually. I believe they will do what Komia says and offer free transfers after Wednesday when their servers get upgraded.

Quote Originally Posted by Koimia View Post
    They are implementing new servers today into tomorrow and all worlds will be down when that starts. There have been rumors of free server changes once the new worlds open but nothing is set in stone as far as I have seen. IF they do offer that, I'd imagine that it's only from current servers to new ones, not to an existing server.
    I really hope it isn't to just new servers. Because, there are lots of my friends all on one server that isn't a new one now and they have made friends and even started our free company. I think it should be to any world lol.

Signature created by: DaRe_xLw

Lvl 8 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Organization XIll View Post
    Yes you will be able to switch eventually. I believe they will do what Komia says and offer free transfers after Wednesday when their servers get upgraded.

I really hope it isn't to just new servers. Because, there are lots of my friends all on one server that isn't a new one now and they have made friends and even started our free company. I think it should be to any world lol.
    Thanks for clarifying that. Hopefully, I will be able to get a decent server now!

DON'T BLINK

If it's like any other MMO I have ever played, whenever there is overcrowding on a server and they open new ones, they only offer transfers to the new servers. Why would they move people from one crowded server to another crowded server? Most likely you and your friends may want to start talking new server. That or when they allow creating new characters you start anew on your friends server.

Final Fantasy XIV Guru

If it's like any other MMO I have ever played, whenever there is overcrowding on a server and they open new ones, they only offer transfers to the new servers. Why would they move people from one crowded server to another crowded server? Most likely you and your friends may want to start talking new server. That or when they allow creating new characters you start anew on your friends server.
    But there are six of them on Goblin. They won't want to change. Also, if they only allow transfers to new ones the new ones are going to be crowded instead of the others because of all the frustrated people that want off their "crowded" servers. Everyone is going to go to a new server leaving the other worlds ghost towns by comparison.

DON'T BLINK

But there are six of them on Goblin. They won't want to change. Also, if they only allow transfers to new ones the new ones are going to be crowded instead of the others because of all the frustrated people that want off their "crowded" servers. Everyone is going to go to a new server leaving the other worlds ghost towns by comparison.
    Actually no. As you pointed out yourself, your friends aren't going to want to move, they've already established a FC on that server and FC's won't transfer from what I've read. The frustrated people are the ones who also won't have as high level characters and so a transfer would be easier on them. That or they may also have friends already on that server and so will too stick around to play with them and let others move.

I'm not saying it won't happen, but MOST MMO's will only allow transfers from Very Populated servers to Lower Populated servers and nothing else. When it comes to Free Transfers that is. Paid transfers is another story

Final Fantasy XIV Guru

Actually no. As you pointed out yourself, your friends aren't going to want to move, they've already established a FC on that server and FC's won't transfer from what I've read. The frustrated people are the ones who also won't have as high level characters and so a transfer would be easier on them. That or they may also have friends already on that server and so will too stick around to play with them and let others move.

I'm not saying it won't happen, but MOST MMO's will only allow transfers from Very Populated servers to Lower Populated servers and nothing else. When it comes to Free Transfers that is. Paid transfers is another story
    Ok lol. Well if this is the case I will be "that guy" that waits through the free period to pay for the same service. >.> lol

Final Fantasy XIV Guru

Tell me if I'm reading this wrong but it looks like we will be able to go to any server.

...For Worlds that remain crowded despite these measures, and for those players who have been unable to create characters on their desired Worlds due to congestion, we will be introducing a World transfer service. Please keep in mind, however, that if you choose to move to a highly populated World, you are more likely to encounter the login restrictions described above─choosing to transfer to a less-populated World may prove to be the best choice for your gameplay experience...
    Further Server and System Improvements, Part 2

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Yep it looks that way. I think I'll be sticking with the Pheonix server regardless. I have a friend there and there are a lot of friendly and good players currently on my server. I am not much of a sociable person or conversationalist, but if I feel up to it then my server is good for it... Most of the time.

Shame we can't play with people or speak with people more from other servers. I've met some cool people using the duty finder. Now that SE will be restricting it with the next update, it may be difficult to find a decent team.