Should I buy it or no?

This is a discussion on Should I buy it or no? within the Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn forum, part of the F; Ok, so here's my "situation": I'm on the fence about getting Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn. After playing the ...

Plats-O'-War!!

Should I buy it or no?

Ok, so here's my "situation": I'm on the fence about getting Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn. After playing the beta, and playing it over a friends house, I want it, but I'm not sure about paying the $15 a month. No, I'm not cheap at all (hence the backlog lol ), but I'm considering my backlog. I spent 5 hours on it last night when I was over my friends house, and I was hooked on it. But, do I have to sacrifice some of my backlog to do this? I know last year I said I wouldn't even touch it, but now I'm considering buying the game. So, what are your thoughts on the game? Is it worth the price of admission or no? And if so, should I get the regular version, or the collectors edition?

All out of bubblegum.....

I loved it when i picked it up on black friday... havnet touched it since my time ran out.... I just can't bring myself to have a recurring charge for a game that I could go over a week without playing. I know there are different subscription options... but just my two cents. I don't see myself playing it unless a large group of people play with me ( Started with GDT, then didnt see him again before my sub ran out)>
    Trade your Games HERE!
    Scogg34's House of Splatter

Avy/Sig by the Awesome Stupot

Kiwi Defender

It's awesome. Got to love going around the map searching for FATEs and having a team to do them together. Lots of fun all around .

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Lvl 8 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by SplatterScoggs View Post
    I loved it when i picked it up on black friday... havnet touched it since my time ran out.... I just can't bring myself to have a recurring charge for a game that I could go over a week without playing. I know there are different subscription options... but just my two cents. I don't see myself playing it unless a large group of people play with me ( Started with GDT, then didnt see him again before my sub ran out)>
    Essentially the same here, as I stopped playing when my free trial ran out. Also, remember that the PS4 version will be coming out shortly (can't remember for sure)

Plats-O'-War!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    It's awesome. Got to love going around the map searching for FATEs and having a team to do them together. Lots of fun all around .
    Yeah, those FATE's were fun, had a blast going through a few of them

Quote Originally Posted by SplatterScoggs View Post
    I see. So, it's better to play in a group than just flying solo? Never player a MMO before, so I'm brand new to that world

Quote Originally Posted by mikesorrell View Post
    Essentially the same here, as I stopped playing when my free trial ran out. Also, remember that the PS4 version will be coming out shortly (can't remember for sure)
    Don't care for the PS4 version as I'm not getting one for a long time. But, I understand what you're saying though

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by kidson2004 View Post
    I see. So, it's better to play in a group than just flying solo? Never player a MMO before, so I'm brand new to that world
    Don't care for the PS4 version as I'm not getting one for a long time. But, I understand what you're saying though
    MMOs are always better with people to play with. Flying solo isn't bad, but you should at least get to know other players so you don't play on your own.

Upgrading to the PS4 version will be free, so you can buy and play the PS3 version with no worries and, whenever you eventually buy a PS4, upgrade to that version.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Galaxy beauty pirate

I had the same doubts, never played an mmo either, but I bought the game a week ago in the PS store (FF sale). This game is so addicting, I really enjoy it so far! I'm still not far into it, I'm trying to figure out which class suits me. Started with an archer, but now I'm a lancer (lv 9) which I like better. I just entered a few random fates, which sometimes gets me killed.

Unfortunately, unlike Nag, I don't have people to play with (yet). Would be even more awesome, so hit me up if you're playing on Ragnarok (Chaos, EU).
    Sig by Ramon

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Have bought it at lunch of 2.0 and still playing Currently in the same Free Company (Guild) as GDT

To answer you question:
    For roughly 20 (and cheaper depending on the version and which Amazon you are ordering from) I definitely would recommend it as you are getting one month of free sub. Just look at as if you are buying a game like any other games. Most "not MMO" games don't last a month of playtime anyway. (As I said "MOST". There are other titles which outdone MMOs but that's for another discussion )
    And after one month, if you still want to play, then you need to subscribe to a monthly fee.
    However this kind of makes it awkward as you would be paying for the same game you have already paid for and the other bad side with a monthly sub is, that if you don't play, then it is lost money so it kind of binds you to play the game. Just my opinion.
    But hey, they need the money to maintain the servers, do bug fixes and develop new content as the game progresses, don't they? At least I hope they do

As for the game itself, as Nag already stated, the game is playable solo, but MMO is always better and more fun with friends and other people you are getting along with. The more the merrier as they say XD

@Artemis
    I am also on Ragnarok server. So let me know if you are on. My nick in game is Shylene Shiro. Maybe I can recrute you to join GDTs guild?