Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sony psn overcharging australian consumers online

This is a discussion on Sony psn overcharging australian consumers online within the Game Deals forum, part of the General PS3 Discussion; Why would I buy GTA5 online through PSN for $109 & get no disk, no packaging, no booklet, no case, ...

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Sony psn overcharging australian consumers online

Why would I buy GTA5 online through PSN for $109 & get no disk, no packaging, no booklet, no case, when its only $85 for a hard copy, bought from a store. And no doubt the 1st release will be the minimum package, later it will be re-package for XMAS sales, with extra content/missions & equipment, for the same price, hopefully by the time that happens I will have finished Skyrim. Save your $$$ & wait for a better deal Australia, also the new 'Batman Gotham' will be released later in the month, that will create more competition for sales & further drive that ridiculous price down. I still have a chuckle when I think of a someone I know who paid $120 for Red Dead Redemption in 2010, its now $14 in the "bargain bin" at K-Mart.

Local Drunk

This is the wrong spot for this thread.

Anyway yeah you're right, waiting for games to go down in price is a good way to save money but if you're impatient like me then it doesn't matter.

Awesomely awesome sig by Beam & social group bar by DaRe
    The Local Drunk's Experience With Trophies

illegal in 9 countries

Even at $85 we're being price-gouged. Import the game from the UK instead to get the best bang for your buck in Oz.

Sony doesn't necessarily set the prices on the PSN - it's done in consultation with the Australian video game retail industry and typically reflects EB Games extortionist prices.

What they're banking on by pricing PSN games so high is convenience - they're saving you the effort of walking out your front door to head to the local store.

Lord of all Goat-Men

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    What they're banking on by pricing PSN games so high is convenience - they're saving you the effort of walking out your front door to head to the local store.
    That, and ignorance. The reason why EB price so high is that Joe Blow that doesn't know any better will buy GTAV at $109, so why not charge that much. Savvy gamers will ask them to price-match or take their business elsewhere; usually to JB Hi-Fi or even Target (which had GTAV for $79 on release day).

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    That, and ignorance. The reason why EB price so high is that Joe Blow that doesn't know any better will buy GTAV at $109, so why not charge that much. Savvy gamers will ask them to price-match or take their business elsewhere; usually to JB Hi-Fi or even Target (which had GTAV for $79 on release day).
    Never underestimate the lowest common denominator. What's worse is EB Games is usually located in the same shopping centre as two or three lower-priced competitors, but they can't be fucked to walk the hundred or so metres to do a price comparison.

Lvl 9 - Gold

What the real problem is that the AU dollar that has been parody with USA and the USA games are $20 to $30 cheaper on psn for a digital product, damn government trying to rob us..... (hence why I buy my digital stuff off my alt usa acc!!)

Kiwi Defender

As ant1 said, you're better off just importing your games from somewhere else (I believe him when he says importing games from the UK is the best way to save your moneyz). PSN titles are rarely (if ever) a good choice when you're trying to save money, because the prices take ages to go down, therefore, you're better off sticking to retail, which is bound to go down much faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Man-023 View Post
    What the real problem is that the AU dollar that has been parody with USA and the USA games are $20 to $30 cheaper on psn for a digital product, damn government trying to rob us..... (hence why I buy my digital stuff off my alt usa acc!!)
    There's more to it than just that, but sure, that's a fair criticism.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Lvl 7 - Gold

yeah it messed up eb games price matches though so whatever is the cheapest and if eb closer to you can always do that

i buy physical copies off ebay though much cheaper

even ratchet and clank deadlocked cost double price apparently americans can buy it for 10 buks yet we got pay 20 wtf and that a psn game only

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Man-023 View Post
    Unfortunately it applies to ALL retail in Oz. It's referred to as "The Australia Tax".

I have a US and UK PSN account for the same reason. Between the 3 PSN stores, you'll typically find discounted items and I buy wherever is cheapest.

The main reason to import from the UK (aside from the cheapest retail price and limited export options from US to Oz) is the PSN DLC compatibility between UK and AU PS3 content.

Lvl 7 - Gold

does uk psn have cheap game prices compared to aus?

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by stealthkiller22 View Post
    does uk psn have cheap game prices compared to aus?
    Typically, no. They tend to be on-par with Oz.

The US PSN store is usually the cheapest, however you will find special offers from time to time on the UK Store, but those specials are usually running in Australia too. For example, Tales of Graces F was about 50% cheaper on the Oz store than the US recently.

For day-to-day pricing, the US store is the best PSN option. UK internet retailers like Zavvi, Ozgameshop and Game.co.uk are easily the best way to buy games in Oz, as long as you're prepared to wait 2 or 3 weeks for shipping.

Actual shipping cost is sweet fuck all - it costs 1 pound per order from Zavvi and OzGS ships for free. Game.co.uk is great for picking up used games - shipping is a bit more expensive, but far cheaper than eBay.

Wowhd.com.au (part of a global franchise) also runs some pretty good specials and often sells both UK (Pal) and US (NTSC) editions of PS3 games. Shipping again is the only issue.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Never underestimate the lowest common denominator. What's worse is EB Games is usually located in the same shopping centre as two or three lower-priced competitors, but they can't be fucked to walk the hundred or so metres to do a price comparison.
    My local EB usually just calls the store in question when I've done price-matching, not physically gone to check.

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Rymillon View Post
    My local EB usually just calls the store in question when I've done price-matching, not physically gone to check.
    I meant the customers are too lazy to price-match, not the EB staff.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

You see the same sort of posts time and time again at the AUS/NZ official Sony Playstation Forum.

Sony's standard response is "Sony do not set the prices asked at the PStore , the distributor does"

Which is a load of crap, and which I thew back in their faces a few weeks back when I pointed out the prices discrepancy of the recently released PUPPETEER. US PStore $29.95 - Aus PStore $49.95 - Disc version at JB $44
    Which happens to be a Sony made and distributed game.

Local Drunk

Lol I don't bother with the price comparison anymore just go to Big W straight away, EB is a last resort.

Awesomely awesome sig by Beam & social group bar by DaRe
    The Local Drunk's Experience With Trophies

The Playboy Wikipedia

I always go to EB Games to get my games. Though I also mention that [insert other place here] has it for [insert money figure here], and they match it. I would go to other places, but I like the staff at EB Games. I've been going to the nearest store for 8 years, and have had no problem with the place...except for that one time where the store in the morning smelled like puke. Damn near puked myself when that smell hit my sense of smell.

Anyway, while I do wish to sometimes pay a little cheaper, I'll sometimes pay more for extra free stuff that you wouldn't get at other places.
    Amanda Cerny - Playboy's Miss October 2011

Credit to Saul (from another site) for the sig!

Lvl 1 - Bronze

wrong spot for the thread??!! I made the thread...but anyway. The idea is to keep retail prices at a minimum, How many Bill Gates in the world do you need? And if your impaitient & want to pay that sort of $$$ because you don't have the mental capacity for patience, then go right ahead...Because its only fools like you, that pay these ridiculous prices that ruins it for the rest of us. thanks to Faust for the info - GTA5 retails @ TARGET for $79

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by DANRAM69 View Post
    wrong spot for the thread??!! I made the thread...but anyway. The idea is to keep retail prices at a minimum, How many Bill Gates in the world do you need? And if your impaitient & want to pay that sort of $$$ because you don't have the mental capacity for patience, then go right ahead...Because its only fools like you, that pay these ridiculous prices that ruins it for the rest of us. thanks to Faust for the info - GTA5 retails @ TARGET for $79
    It's in the wrong sub-forum since it has nothing to do with game deals. Afterall, you're just complaining about the prices being retardedly high, which isn't a deal lol.

Those with money are the ones that dictate prices. Welcome to the real world, where monopolies and capitalists "pigs" do as they please.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Lvl 8 - Gold

Digital games in general shouldn't be priced the same as physical games.

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by M40A3 View Post
    Digital games in general shouldn't be priced the same as physical games.
    That's how it was in the early days of Steam because digital distribution eliminated packaging, stock control and shipping costs. But publishers quickly cottoned on that many of us don't care about packaging and jacked the prices up to match retail to make more profit by cutting out or paying less for the middleman.

The reason digital maintains a high value these days is because there is no inventory management. Retailers take a gamble by ordering X number of physical units under the assumption they'll sell that many within Y time. We get cheaper retail prices as new games are released that need to compete for the same shelf space. Older physical stock is dumped into the bargain bin while the digital version remains at full price.

You can argue that the front page of the PS Store, XBL and Steam is prime shelf real estate and that'd be right, but the actual costs of storing the software is almost zero (no sales = no bandwidth = no cost). Given most video game sales are front-loaded, only those people who really want the game digitally are likely to buy it months later, so it holds its value for longer. Inevitably, it'll hit the bargain bin too, but it tends to be much later than retail.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast