Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 59 of 59

Final Fantasy XIII-2 Review

This is a discussion on Final Fantasy XIII-2 Review within the Game Reviews forum, part of the Trophy Guides, Reviews & Articles; Originally Posted by Timeless-Enigma Saying a poor or average game is a great game is pointless. What would reviews like ...

  1. #41
    Lvl 9 - Gold
    AizawaYuuichi's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,014
    Reputation
    41

    Quote Originally Posted by Timeless-Enigma View Post
    Saying a poor or average game is a great game is pointless. What would reviews like that achieve?
    Considering that these are "user" reviews and not paid or commissioned reviewers, they have nothing to gain or lose. Poor, average, good and great are all subjective. I personally thought N3:Ninety-Nine Nights was a great game on the 360. I also thought Too Human was good. But basically anyone else you ask would say they were average and poor respectively. This is why I don't trust user reviews. If they think the game is good, they'll say it's good. But how am I to know if their likes mesh with mine.
    This is why, if I ever read reviews, I prefer to read reviews by a professional reviewer, more often than not reviewers from this site, because while they may gush somewhat over a game they really like, a professional reviewer (or one from here) will generally go into detail about the aspects of the game that they liked/disliked and why, which allows me to form my own opinion about the game content. The vast majority of user reviews, or clicks of the +/- buttons or rating it a 1 or 5 don't do much to tell me why the user gave it the rating they did, at least not in any meaningful sense.
    But, um... I'm way off-topic now.
    Sorry.

  2. #42
    PRO Member
    Kerwan_Ratchet's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    In a multiverses of different bodies and souls
    Posts
    1,901
    Reputation
    74

    Quote Originally Posted by Lasombra View Post
    Why is the score a 7 when the average is 7.6?
    Because we don't base our opinions on megacritic or gameranking. We have own our. Period.




  3. #43
    Game on....
    Timeless-Enigma's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,915
    Reputation
    348

    Quote Originally Posted by Kerwan_Ratchet View Post
    Because we don't base our opinions on megacritic or gameranking. We have own our. Period.
    I see your point but shouldn't the score be rounded up to an eight? Just a thought...

  4. #44
    Legend...Nuff Said
    Lasombra's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Korea
    Posts
    1,535
    Reputation
    185

    Quote Originally Posted by Kerwan_Ratchet View Post
    Because we don't base our opinions on megacritic or gameranking. We have own our. Period.
    What does metacritic have to do with that? That reply makes no sense bro.

    He gave 3 categories with scores, with the average of them being 7.6, but he gives an overall of 7. Whats the point of giving an overall when the average of the individual categories is completely different?

    L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.
    Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter @LasombraFiles
    My novels can be found here: The Lasombra Files: Choice and Consequence and
    Til Death Do Us Part
    Big thanks to the site for giving me my start as a writer!

  5. #45
    PRO Member
    Gauss's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,243
    Reputation
    98

    Quote Originally Posted by Lasombra View Post
    What does metacritic have to do with that? That reply makes no sense bro.

    He gave 3 categories with scores, with the average of them being 7.6, but he gives an overall of 7. Whats the point of giving an overall when the average of the individual categories is completely different?
    Well, first off we don't give out 7.6s. Its in increments of 0.5 (i.e. 7, 7.5, 8, 8.5, etc). They are rounded up or down to this point at the discretion of the review writer.

    Second, I must have plugged something in wrong when I was back-calculating. Maybe I plugged in a 7 instead of 8 or an 8 instead of 9 because I got 7.3 when I originally did this.

    Ultimately though that's irrelevant, I don't pay a whole lot of attention to the sub-scores. I pick the main overall score (according to my rationality below). This game is a 7 in my opinion. After I wrote the review I decided I wanted to give it a 7, so I gave it a 7. PERIOD.

    I bucket the sub-scores so the averages mesh up. When it comes to works of art/entertainment like video-games the overall package is the most important element as one overtly sour element can drag the whole experience down.

    As such I consider the sub-scores to be useful in indicating where I find the "value" in the experience so you can better understand how I think and where my opinion comes from. In this review, for example, I am saying its getting its score because I REALLY liked the gameplay, thought the SP was a solid "meh," and the technical presentation was above average. Maybe after watching some gameplay vids you say "This looks stupid," then you can take the information I've provided here and make a more informed decision regarding your purchase because you know that the gameplay is a big part of why this game is a 7, after this maybe you realize the game would be a 5 for you.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.


    Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

  6. #46
    Legend...Nuff Said
    Lasombra's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Korea
    Posts
    1,535
    Reputation
    185

    Quote Originally Posted by Gauss View Post
    Well, first off we don't give out 7.6s. Its in increments of 0.5 (i.e. 7, 7.5, 8, 8.5, etc). They are rounded up or down to this point at the discretion of the review writer.

    Second, I must have plugged something in wrong when I was back-calculating. Maybe I plugged in a 7 instead of 8 or an 8 instead of 9 because I got 7.3 when I originally did this.

    Ultimately though that's irrelevant, I don't pay a whole lot of attention to the sub-scores. I pick the main overall score (according to my rationality below). This game is a 7 in my opinion. After I wrote the review I decided I wanted to give it a 7, so I gave it a 7. PERIOD.

    I bucket the sub-scores so the averages mesh up. When it comes to works of art/entertainment like video-games the overall package is the most important element as one overtly sour element can drag the whole experience down.

    As such I consider the sub-scores to be useful in indicating where I find the "value" in the experience so you can better understand how I think and where my opinion comes from. In this review, for example, I am saying its getting its score because I REALLY liked the gameplay, thought the SP was a solid "meh," and the technical presentation was above average. Maybe after watching some gameplay vids you say "This looks stupid," then you can take the information I've provided here and make a more informed decision regarding your purchase because you know that the gameplay is a big part of why this game is a 7, after this maybe you realize the game would be a 5 for you.
    Why bother having sub scores then if their irrelevant? Whats the point of scoring them if they have no merit on the overall score? Why not just give an overall and do away with a subscore? I'm just curious.

    As an FYI, I don't know the tone you and Kerwan are trying to express by putting 'period' in caps but its coming off very douchey and condescending. I don't really have any beef with the score for this game, I was just trying to stay informed as to how things were scored and am simply asking questions.

    L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.
    Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter @LasombraFiles
    My novels can be found here: The Lasombra Files: Choice and Consequence and
    Til Death Do Us Part
    Big thanks to the site for giving me my start as a writer!

  7. #47
    PRO Member
    Kerwan_Ratchet's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    In a multiverses of different bodies and souls
    Posts
    1,901
    Reputation
    74

    Quote Originally Posted by Timeless-Enigma View Post
    I see your point but shouldn't the score be rounded up to an eight? Just a thought...
    It's Gauss' review. I've just got a minor part in it. His word is final, not mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lasombra View Post
    Why bother having sub scores then if their irrelevant? Whats the point of scoring them if they have no merit on the overall score? Why not just give an overall and do away with a subscore? I'm just curious.

    As an FYI, I don't know the tone you and Kerwan are trying to express by putting 'period' in caps but its coming off very douchey and condescending. I don't really have any beef with the score for this game, I was just trying to stay informed as to how things were scored and am simply asking questions.
    I'll tell you why: because certain scores have more or less effect then others. Tell me, which one do you think would lower the score of a game more: the gameplay being crap or the multiplayer being crap? Would the single player campaign have less value then the presentation would? Of course not, and that's why it effects the score in different ways.

    And we aren't being "condescending". Our point is that the score is final and anyone trying to nick-pick at it is performing a fruitless effort. Different reviewers value different parts of a game more then others or find quality in other places then their partner. Trying to dwindle down on each person's value and their priorities in games won't get anyone far. I don't mind responding to your question, but sometimes I get the feeling that when someone disagrees with a score they find ways to pick it apart. I've been guilty of this in the past as well, but you adjust with time.




  8. #48
    Trophy Guide Kitten
    Compalicious's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,232
    Reputation
    244

    Tell me, Why in a review about a game are we sitting here whining and crying about a few numbers? Just stop.
    K? Thanks

  9. #49
    PRO Member
    Gauss's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,243
    Reputation
    98

    Quote Originally Posted by Lasombra View Post
    Why bother having sub scores then if their irrelevant? Whats the point of scoring them if they have no merit on the overall score? Why not just give an overall and do away with a subscore? I'm just curious.
    Because they aren't irrelevant, perhaps I wasn't making my point clear enough... the point is I am indicating where I think each category of the game sits and why I am scoring it the way I am. So when I give this game a 7, why am I doing that? Is it because the entire game is just "7" material or is it because there are some real shortcomings in the singleplayer that are made up for by the Gameplay?

    It also does have merit to the overall score, I just think the way your saying of rating each individual subscore and then averaging for an overall score is one way, but I prefer my way in which I assign the overall score and then decide the subscores based on what I feel the overall game deserves.

    I use the system I use because the score is already an objective representation of a subjective opinion, no matter what way you slice it there isn't a scientific way of assessing something's merit. I think its best to assess the overall game first to give a clear conclusion to the opinion, then treat the sub-scores as details rather than make the sub-scores the focal point. Particularly as different games have different content and have different vision/ideas/execution.

    Its just much less complicated and cumbersome to say "This game is a 7" and work backwards.

    Keep in mind, I already said I made a math error, but the math error is not in the overall score, its in the sub-scores. I gave the game a 7, that's the overall score I meant to give. That's what I pick first, and I pick it based on which sentence in my signature fits my views on the game best (keeping in mind I use the '0.5' as a way of saying is in between something).

    Quote Originally Posted by Lasombra View Post
    As an FYI, I don't know the tone you and Kerwan are trying to express by putting 'period' in caps but its coming off very douchey and condescending. I don't really have any beef with the score for this game, I was just trying to stay informed as to how things were scored and am simply asking questions.
    Right, which is fine. I'm trying to explain it to you.

    I can't speak to anything KR is saying, I have never hidden our review guidelines or criteria from the public (they used to be posted in this sub-forum actually before the site went down a few months ago).

    My point with the "PERIOD" is that your first post seemed to be indicating that I should have given a 7.6/10 because thats what the averages of the sub-score come out to.

    I am saying that we don't give out ".6s," its rounded to a scale of 0.5 increments and whether its up or down is up to whoever is reviewing it because I don't want a really complicated formula just to come up with an overall score.

    I am also saying that, atleast with me, I decide the overall score first. So I thank you because you pointed out a minor math error, but I am saying that, as a reviewer, I decided to give this game a 7. That's my right as a reviewer based on how I rate games. If you want to review a different way, go ahead, you can write your own reviews and post them.

    The 7 isn't going to change, its not misleading or deceptive, its not wrong... The 7 is what I wanted to give this game. I gave the game a 7... period.

    I made a mistake when putting in my sub-scores, not my overall. Again, I thank you for pointing it out.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.


    Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

  10. #50
    Game on....
    Timeless-Enigma's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,915
    Reputation
    348

    Quote Originally Posted by Gauss View Post
    The 7 is what I wanted to give this game. I gave the game a 7... period.
    Which is why more reviews of the same game should be submitted by multiple reviewers and then possibly an overall review score can be obtained by the combined score of the different review scores. I also don't think your 7 score for FFXIII-2 according to your rating rationale reflects FFXIII-2 as the great game it is. According to your rating rationale, FFXIII-2 is an average game!? How the hell is FFXIII-2 an average game?

    Trust me, i have played average games and FFXIII-2 isn't one of them.

  11. #51
    PRO Member
    daftprophet's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    4,593
    Reputation
    345

    Though I liked the review, other than score (which shouldn't determine whether you buy or play a game...it's someone else's opinion, not yours) I like the idea of having multiple reviews. I like seeing where others are coming from, not just one person.






    |
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |by Smashguy |

    |Avy - Animals As Leaders|




  12. #52
    PRO Member
    Kerwan_Ratchet's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    In a multiverses of different bodies and souls
    Posts
    1,901
    Reputation
    74

    Quote Originally Posted by Timeless-Enigma View Post
    Which is why more reviews of the same game should be submitted by multiple reviewers and then possibly an overall review score can be obtained by the combined score of the different review scores. I also don't think your 7 score for FFXIII-2 according to your rating rationale reflects FFXIII-2 as the great game it is. According to your rating rationale, FFXIII-2 is an average game!? How the hell is FFXIII-2 an average game?

    Trust me, i have played average games and FFXIII-2 isn't one of them.
    As I said, some parts of the game had more influence than others. Personally if I was giiving those sub-scores the overall score would turn out different, but this is Gauss' review, not mine.




  13. #53
    Galaxy beauty pirate
    Artemis's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    1,464
    Reputation
    216

    I think a 7 is pretty good actually, but that's because I would've rate FF XIII a 5 (maybe 6). It was the first FF I didn't really enjoy. It's definitely not that every FF game deserves a high grade/score just because it's a FF game. I'm glad that the reviewer does not only see positive points (or is blinded in his love for the series) but also see the game's flaws.
    After reading some different reviews and hearing the people around me, I've better hopes for this one though. I'm gonna buy the game soon.
    Good review!
    Sig by Ramon

  14. #54
    Kiwi Defender
    Nagflar's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Vice City
    Posts
    6,570
    Reputation
    386

    Quote Originally Posted by Compalicious View Post
    Tell me, Why in a review about a game are we sitting here whining and crying about a few numbers? Just stop.
    Because they always do (sadly). If we had a FarmVille review and it had a score you'd disagree with, you''d also probably argue about it .

    Toggle Spoiler



    Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

  15. #55
    Trophy Guide Kitten
    Compalicious's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,232
    Reputation
    244

    Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    Because they always do (sadly). If we had a FarmVille review and it had a score you'd disagree with, you''d also probably argue about it .

    I for one don't like to bring a thread off course..BUT how dare you bring Farmville into this >:F.....I mean I don't play that silly game


    But to stay on course, I did read the review, and have talked to several people who have played and platted this game, and with the review and people talk, I can't wait to start the game
    K? Thanks

  16. #56
    Kiwi Defender
    Nagflar's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Vice City
    Posts
    6,570
    Reputation
    386

    Quote Originally Posted by Compalicious View Post
    I for one don't like to bring a thread off course..BUT how dare you bring Farmville into this >:F.....I mean I don't play that silly game


    But to stay on course, I did read the review, and have talked to several people who have played and platted this game, and with the review and people talk, I can't wait to start the game
    Don't lie, you love FarmVie .

    Well, good to know! Don't forget to play FFXIII first, though.

    Toggle Spoiler



    Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

  17. #57
    Final Fantasy XIV Guru
    Organization XIll's Avatar


    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    302
    Reputation
    11

    I agree with Kerwan's rating. The game isn't the greatest Final Fantasy title, but it isn't one of the worst. The graphics are amazing I think we can all agree. The characters have pretty good depth and progression. The story is slightly less focused than desired, but that was a main complaint of XIII anyway. The battle system has been improved due to the leader change possibility in battle and due to the tameable monsters. There are many things to do after you finish the storyline. They even incorporated characters from XIII without them overpowering or overshadowing the main characters.

    All in all this is a great game. It can entertain you for 50+ hours. I know I thoroughly enjoyed all 85 I put into it, and I would rate it 8 - 8.5.


    Avatar created by: remus1997
    Signature created by: DaRe_xLw


  18. #58
    Game on....
    Timeless-Enigma's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,915
    Reputation
    348

    Quote Originally Posted by OrganizationXiLL View Post
    All in all this is a great game. It can entertain you for 50+ hours. I know I thoroughly enjoyed all 85 I put into it, and I would rate it 8 - 8.5.
    Same here. I will be going back to the game once more DLC is released.

  19. #59
    PRO Member
    Kerwan_Ratchet's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    In a multiverses of different bodies and souls
    Posts
    1,901
    Reputation
    74

    Quote Originally Posted by Timeless-Enigma View Post
    Same here. I will be going back to the game once more DLC is released.
    To tell you the truth I'm not even sure if the DLC is worth it from what I've heard. If they add more timelines, etc, it will be, but spendind extra cash on more battle arena ain't my style to say the least. That's just me though.




Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:35 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.10
Copyright © 2018 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO