Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Jak and Daxter HD Collection Review

This is a discussion on Jak and Daxter HD Collection Review within the Game Reviews forum, part of the Trophy Guides, Reviews & Articles; Jak and Daxter HD Collection Review by Shemhazat Basic Information: Developer: Naughty Dog, Mass Media Inc. Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment ...

RPG Master

by Shemhazat

Basic Information:

Developer: Naughty Dog, Mass Media Inc.
    Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment (SCE)
    North American Release Date: February 7, 2012
    European Release Date: February 22, 2012
    Trophies: Yes
    Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy: 1 | 4 | 12 | 22
    Jak II: 1 | 4 | 10 | 26
    Jak 3: 1 | 3 | 9| 34

Overview

The Jak and Daxter HD Collection brings together one of the Playstation 2’s most memorable and epic duos on one blu-ray disc. This trilogy of games encompasses an adventure that spans hundreds of years and ultimately involves forces from beyond the world itself.

Gameplay

In TPL there were five different types of eco known to the world: green eco (restores health), blue eco (supercharges Jak with energy), red eco (makes Jak stronger), yellow eco (allows Jak to shoot energy blasts) and dark eco (dangerous). Each of the 4 (minus dark eco) had easy to understand applications that did not need a long and boring tutorial to understand. You see box that you can’t punch through – use yellow eco to blast it to pieces. An enemy has a shield that you are too weak to destroy – use red eco. The uses were practical and easy to understand.

Jak II did away with using 4 different types of eco and condensed it down to two types: green eco for health and dark eco for Dark Jak powers. But Naughty Dog did not just forget about the other types of eco. In a very shrewd way they managed to incorporate blue, red and yellow eco into the different types of mods that Jak uses for his Morph Gun. The Scatter Gun which functions as a short-ranged shotgun and is very powerful took the place of red eco, the long range Blaster took the place of yellow eco, and the quick firing and rapid Vulcan Fury replaced blue eco. Jak 3 expanded slightly on the Morph Gun by allowing different functions to be applied to each of the four mod sections, allowing you to customize your gameplay even further. By allowing a total of 12 different mods (up from 4 in Jak II), everyone is able to fight to the play-style that they prefer.

If Jak II took away from us the chance to use eco as weapons, it gave back to us tenfold with Dark Jak. Dark Jak is the result of Jak being subjected to two years of dark eco experiments and is very powerful and very deadly. In order to access the ability to become Dark Jak outside of story-driven events, you must go out and collect dark eco pellets scattered throughout the world. While these may have been deadly to Jak in TPL, they are now the source of power for Dark Jak. Jak 3, on the other hand, in order to balance out Dark Jak, introduces Light Jak. This Jak (if you guessed correctly) has the ability to use light eco defensively such as clapping his hands to briefly stop time and creating wings of light eco to both fly and glide.

Something that has always played a role in the Jak and Daxter series are vehicles. TPL introduced us to the idea with Kiera's homemade Zoomer, Jak II gave us three different types of hover cars, racecars, and Jet Boards, and finally Jak 3 had us drive gun-totting dune buggies across the Wastelands. In each iteration of the Jak and Daxter series, Naughty Dog expanded on the ideas and concepts of the previous games in order to make the next game a whole new experience.

Who knew that Jak and Daxter takes place in England...

What I didn't like was that while the Zoomer in The Precursor Legacy was easy to handle and drive in, the mechanics of the vehicles in Jak II and Jak 3 were a lot harder to handle. Take for instance, simple turning. I could be driving and while attempting a turn, crash several times into a wall simply because the hover car has the turning radius of a lead weight. Basically in Jak II the controls for the hover cars feel very awkward and sometimes it seems as if they are either barely responding to my controls or they are too sensitive.

Single Player

Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy, the game that began the trilogy, opens with a cutscene showing Daxter having an accidental exposure to dark eco–the most dangerous substance in the world. In order to get back to normal, he and Jak take the advice of the Green Eco Sage Samus and begin their adventure by making their way north in order to find the only person that has a shot of reversing what was done to Daxter. Soon after beginning their journey however, they stumble upon a plot to remake the world in a madman’s image and are forced to race against time before he unleashes a tidal wave of dark eco upon an unsuspecting world.

Jak II starts off a few weeks after the end of TPL. In the time after defeating Gol and Maia, Keira had managed to transport and reassemble an ancient Precursor technology known as a ‘rift gate’ as well as the ship needed to carry them through. Upon opening the gate, thousands upon thousands of beasts known as Metal Heads and their leader stream through. Thinking quickly, Jak forces the ship to travel through the rift gate where everyone is separated and he is quickly captured and subjected to brutal and inhuman experimentation.

It takes two years before Daxter is able to find and free Jak from the prison. However, all the experiments done to him using dark eco have created an alter ego known as ‘Dark Jak’ which Jak has difficulty controlling. Fleeing the prison, Jak and Daxter come across an old man named Kor and a young boy. After the Krimzon Guards arrive and Jak fends them off, Kor promises to bring Jak to the underground resistance and its’ leader, the Shadow, who he says can help him get his revenge on Baron Praxis.

Jak angry at living conditions...

The final game in the trilogy begins a shortly after the end of Jak II. In order to settle the unrest throughout Haven City following the death of the Metal Head Leader, Jak has been banished to the Wastelands and left to die. Instead of dying, he is found by the leader of the town of Spargus, Damas, who sees in him great potential and offers to make him a citizen if he could prove his worth in the harsh environment

Eventually making his way back to Haven City, Jak is caught in a three-way fight for the city between the new Freedom League, the old Krimzon Guards, and the Metal Heads. After helping to secure the city, Jak must prepare himself for the return of the Dark Makers, an ancient evil that is on their way to the planet.

The Jak and Daxter trilogy had storylines that followed the basic premise each time: the game starts with Jak and Daxter being thrown into a new environment or situation and have to either go after or seek the help of a certain being. Once they are in reach of the goal however, something always happens that exposes a new and grander plot that they have to try and stop. Don’t take my sarcasm and criticism as a sign that Jak and Daxter are not worth playing. I take solace in the fact that Naughty Dog, rather then trying to create a new plot-style for each game, simply decided to stick to what worked. In all honesty, I enjoyed trying to figure out what was the plot twist in each game and would make guesses as to who would try and betray me at some point (I lost a lot of times, which speaks highly for the plot).

Technical

Jak and Daxter: TPL was first released in 2001 and it shows its age. While it may have been updated to 720p and 3D support, it is impossible to hide exactly how old the game is. Do not, however, take this to mean that the game is bad or boring. On the contrary, the controls are solid. While some of the mechanics may have aged a bit, they still hold up to most modern platformers with only a few drawbacks or sections where frustration sets in.

One of the key technical problems that I experienced involved the vehicular transportation. While the problem was not so bad in TPL due to the Zoomer having to only move forward in most cases, in Jak II and 3, the vehicles are clunky and are hard to control. By hard to control, I mean that there are two ways that they respond to input: oversensitivity or lag. The larger vehicles turn very slowly (even accounting for mass) while the smaller ones tended to crash into walls with the slightest movement of the analog stick.

The musical score of the trilogy is nice due to the fact that the soundtracks reflect the current situation that Jak and Daxter find themselves in. In Haven City in Jak II , if the guards currently aren't looking for them, the music will play a slow, suspenseful, and ominous track showing that Jak could only be a few seconds away from being caught. If Jak is currently racing against time or is being chases, the music will change to a track that incorporates the sounds of a ticking clock or a fast, suspenseful tempo.

Trophies

The trophies in the Jak and Daxter games are mostly story based. By mostly, I mean around 80-85% of them. The rest of them are collectable trophies. The difficulty of the collectable trophies vary through the games. The collectable trophies from TPL can be considered the easiest to obtain due to how common the power cells, scout flies, and precursor orbs are. In Jak II the precursor orbs are much rarer, but are easier to find if you know where to look. The difficulty of the collectable trophies in Jak 3 is about average since precursor orbs are easier to find than in Jak II, but there is a lot more ground to cover.

Closing Thoughts

The Jak and Daxter HD Collection is solid tribute to one of the greatest duos in the Playstation franchise. While the games may show their age despite receiving the high definition, they are still solid games that are fun to play and have fun and witty dialogue. Graphics should not be the sole determiner of whether a game is good or not. If you are one of the gamers who had any of the games when they were first released on the Playstation 2, then you already know how good the games are. All in all, despite the few faults that the three games in the collection may have, this is a great purchase to anyone who enjoys good, old-fashioned platfomers.

Gameplay: 9.0/10
    The overall gameplay is solid with very few problems as a platformer. I do like how Naughty Dog tried to innovate the gameplay experience with each new Jak game to come out.

Singleplayer: 9.5/10
    The plot of the trilogy is one of the shining moments of the PS2's career. The plots aren't just thrown together without caring about the past games (or even future games).

Technical: 8.0/10
    Vehicle controls notwithstanding, this was a good game overall. The solid gameplay and appropriate music allow for anyone to still enjoy the game despite the graphics.

Overall: 9.0/10 Brilliant
    Last edited by Shemhazat; 02-27-2012 at 10:12 PM.

Gorilla see, Gorilla do

I purchased this the other day and having completed Jak 1 I can't bring myself to play the 2nd. The camera and god awful vehicle control have completely put me off from continuing. I can't have fun with a game where I spend a lot of time spinning the camera around

Nice review though

Big thanks to Bladia for awesome sig
    "Unfortunately the Nazi's don't play cricket - if they did, we wouldn't be on opposite sides now."

Platmate Ass Editor

How do you sum up 3 games in a single review??? :stare: they should be treated separately, like guides per say. But who am I to suggest such blasphemies.

Great review none the less. I found TPL quite boring and not deserving of a 9. I'd give it a 7 or a 6.5 and I'd give Jak II a 8. Dark Jak is frustrating to use and last for a good 2-3 seconds plus a few other things that kinda drove me insane. Jak 3 deserves the given score IMHO.

I haven't played this collection, but I am going by what I recall from the times back in the day. I plan on picking it up some time soon. Maybe then I will rethink what I have posted here lol.

"The artist has a duty to seduce the ear and delight the spirit"
    You can't spell sarcasm without RC

"I am the lightning"

Did you .... ( _) ( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■) put on sunglasses?

TLT

The Old Guy

I agree with red that the review seems a little rushed when you're trying to squeeze three into one... and maybe I'm missing something but I was surprised, after reading the text of the review, to see a 9/10 score. Your comments made it sound more like a 7/10.

In any case, I already have the collection and will play all three (never played them on PS2), but probably not until later this year sometime.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by redcell89 View Post
    How do you sum up 3 games in a single review??? :stare: they should be treated separately, like guides per say. But who am I to suggest such blasphemies.
    I leave it up to the individual reviewer. Metal Gear Solid, as an example, was different enough to treat them as 3 different games. Meanwhile when I reviewed the GoW collection, I reviewed them as one.

In this case Shem felt that the games were similar enough that the review could handle all 3 with one review/score/etc.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

RPG Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gauss View Post
    I leave it up to the individual reviewer. Metal Gear Solid, as an example, was different enough to treat them as 3 different games. Meanwhile when I reviewed the GoW collection, I reviewed them as one.

In this case Shem felt that the games were similar enough that the review could handle all 3 with one review/score/etc.
    What Gauss said is basically right. While there were 3 games, the gameplay in each of them were very similar so i felt that it would be best to review them all together instead of in three separate reviews.
    Sig by JK_Blade
    Shemhazat's Trophies

Platinum Procrastinator

Quote Originally Posted by Creditdue View Post
    I purchased this the other day and having completed Jak 1 I can't bring myself to play the 2nd. The camera and god awful vehicle control have completely put me off from continuing. I can't have fun with a game where I spend a lot of time spinning the camera around

Nice review though
    I agree 100%. If I had to rate Jak 2, it would be a 5/10 at best and that's being generous.

Quote Originally Posted by redcell89 View Post

Great review none the less. I found TPL quite boring and not deserving of a 9. I'd give it a 7 or a 6.5 and I'd give Jak II a 8. Dark Jak is frustrating to use and last for a good 2-3 seconds plus a few other things that kinda drove me insane. Jak 3 deserves the given score IMHO.

I haven't played this collection, but I am going by what I recall from the times back in the day. I plan on picking it up some time soon. Maybe then I will rethink what I have posted here lol.
    I agree. I probably would of given similar scores to the three games going from memories of them back on the PS2. However, after playing the TPL and Jak 2 from the collection I cannot understand why I though Jak 2 was amongst the best games back then. Quite simply, it sucks and has rage inducing controls and camera angels. Not to mention I wish there was an option to mute Daxter as the humor comes off as being very forced. Horrible, horrible game.

Quote Originally Posted by ONUOsFan View Post
    I agree with red that the review seems a little rushed when you're trying to squeeze three into one... and maybe I'm missing something, but I was surprised, after reading the text of the review, to see a 9/10 score. Your comments made it sound more like a 7/10.

In any case, I already have the collection and will play all three (never played them on PS2), but probably not until later this year sometime.
    Again I agree. If I had to rate the entire collection overall, I definitely wouldn't give it a 9/10. I don't even think the Sly collection lives up to those standards. Even if Jak 3 is better than the first two, I think giving it a 6/10 would be more accurate, at least in my opinion.

Anyways, nice review and I look forward to seeing more in the future.
    Like TV shows, join the Small Screen Gossip group!

PS420

Great review. Sad I never played these when they had come out, but now I just might. Shemhazat!

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |by Smashguy |

|Avy - Animals As Leaders|

Crocodile Hunter

Nice review, They are one of the best games of all time and deserve the 9/10 IMO

Sig by Apokolypz

Retired TGT Member

Nice review Shem. I've never played II or 3 and I probably never will, but TPL was excellent

NSFW

Quote Originally Posted by antoniosbandana View Post
    Nice review Shem. I've never played II or 3 and I probably never will, but TPL was excellent
    Yeah, honestly TPL alone was great enough for the price tag. Jak II wasn't as great, and you could kinda see they tried to hammer the now more dark storyline into the game, but it was good. Never played Jak III. It could be nice if they released another J&D collection containing Jak X, Daxter and Jak and Daxter: The Lost Frontier (but first gimmie Ratchet and Clank collection Sony ). Hopefully getting this game tomorrow.

Very nice and throughout review there Shem.

Sig made by Beam. Platbar by Thunder.

Sig made by Beam.
    Platbar made by Thunder.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

i got it for the nostalgia, the series kinda died a little because what used to be shocking is now just "oh hey, there's that part"...i usually try to say 1 or 10, i either love it or hate it but i'd have to agree on the 7's i read above...maybe 7.7 out of 10

and no reverse? there was reverse
    and even though i could manuever the vehicles greatly, i still enjoyed it when i messed up and died as a result...i just love driving the hover-cars, it's the first game for me that introduced them, and i find no faults with it
    Add me if you want (soulless94), as long as you don't randomly delete me for no reason
    If I randomly add you, it's because you're awesome...wanted an answer? There it is. =]
    -----
    Cops don't protect against mugging, abuse, or grand theft. I thought you should know how great your "protectors" are.
    -----
    Myanimelist - Ryxia6392

You gotta deal with it!

Quote Originally Posted by Shemhazat View Post
    Something that I really thought was lacking was a reverse feature.
    Reverse on the vehicles was ...

Aussie Furry, Bitch

In a multiverses of different bodies and souls

I'm seriously going to have to buy this soon. Thanks Shem.

Mista J

thanks for the review man. game looks great

Avy by: DaRe_xLw| Awesome Sig by:Beam|Aka bar by:Athena
    Gifts From Friends:
    Alison | Beam & Kid | TG09

Check out the shop- Deja View Sigs

RPG Master

Quote Originally Posted by vettes_4-ever View Post
    Reverse on the vehicles was ...
    If it was, then i missed it. Nice catch by the way.
    Sig by JK_Blade
    Shemhazat's Trophies

You gotta deal with it!

Quote Originally Posted by Shemhazat View Post
    If it was, then i missed it. Nice catch by the way.
    Yeah, tapping will apply the "brakes", while holding it down will go into reverse. The regular brakes on the buggies was to press

Platmate Ass Editor

You should edit that into your review[/RC]

"The artist has a duty to seduce the ear and delight the spirit"
    You can't spell sarcasm without RC

"I am the lightning"

Did you .... ( _) ( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■) put on sunglasses?

TLT

The One and Only

Nice review Shem. I'm getting this for my birthday for sure.

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist back in contruction!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop with knuckle and Bladia, currently taking requests!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

Good review Shem though i think you undersold it a bit in comparison to your end score.

TPL is one of my favourite platformers ever and i was a slight dissapointed when ND followed with a GTA mash for Jak II, however, it turned out to be a fine game in it's own right.

Jak 3 was a logical next step but lacked the appeal of the first two, solid game, just not spectacular.

Personally i'd score them 8, 9 and 7 in retrospect.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast