Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater Review

This is a discussion on Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater Review within the Game Reviews forum, part of the Trophy Guides, Reviews & Articles; Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater HD by Nagflar Basic Information: Developer: Kojima Productions (ported by Bluepoint Games) Publisher: Konami ...

Kiwi Defender

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater Review

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater HD
    by Nagflar

Basic Information:
    Developer: Kojima Productions (ported by Bluepoint Games)
    Publisher: Konami
    North American Release Date: 11/8/2011
    European Release Date: 2/3/2012
    Trophies: Yes, 1 | 4 | 5 | 36

Overview

Originally released for the PS2, Snake Eater offered a setting completely different from those found in MGS and MGS2, the jungle. Widely considered one of the best games released for the PS2, Snake Eater is a fan-favorite that even to this date feels fresh and original, having a lasting appeal that few other games match.

Gameplay

Like in previous MGS titles, the gameplay focuses on stealth and not on action, sending you in with a vast array of weapons to neutralize the enemies either silently or lethally depending on how you approach each situation.

In order to achieve this, you’ll be playing in one of two different camera views: either a Third Person View (like those found in TPS games) or a fixed camera view (like the one featured in MGS and MGS2). While the latter works well and has few cons, it’ll be the TP one that you’ll probably find the most comfortable with, since it lets you assimilate the situation in a much better way and makes aiming and shooting much more accurate and less complicated.

In order to improve the stealth aspect of the game, Kojima decided to introduce a camouflage system. Now, you can make Snake wear different uniforms and face paints in order to improve your camouflage index and be able to sneak past enemies. The effectiveness of your camouflage depends on the aforementioned index, which is a number displayed as a percentage that dictates the probabilities of being seen. Depending on where you are hiding, how much you are moving and what camo you are using, the index number will vary, and with the higher your camo index the less the chance you have of being spotted. This added a lot of depth to the gameplay, since now you find yourself adapting to the different jungle environments in order to sneak past the enemies easily.

Now, since you might not always be able to take out enemies through the use of weapons, the hand-to-hand combat system has been improved and is now called CQC (which stands for Close Quarter Combat), which is impressively effective. Not only can you now punch and kick your enemies, but you may hold them up and break their neck or use them as a meat shield (which sadly isn’t very effective, but still works sometimes). This makes sneaking up behind enemies more effective since now you don’t need to waste a bullet on them.

CQC is one of the best tools you’ll have at your disposal in order to defeat the different guards you may encounter.

Kojima also decided to add more realism to the game adding a Stamina bar below Snake’s health bar. This bar will be depleted with almost every action you do and leads to problems like being heard by the enemies due to Snake’s stomach aches and not being able to aim well. Stamina can be replenished by resting (in other words, laying low and not doing anything) or eating the local flora/fauna, which you may collect by either shooting animals (or capturing them with traps) or cutting flowers with your knife. Of course, eating whatever you find in the jungle isn’t always going to yield positive results, and you may get sick, which could lead to your stamina getting depleted faster.

Singleplayer

Snake Eater is a prequel to every other Metal Gear game, and it’s set during the Cold War (1964, to be exact). You are an operative that goes by the name of Naked Snake and have been sent into Soviet territory in a search and retrieve operation. After finding your target and trying to get to the landing zone, your mentor and friend The Boss (also known as The Joy) attacks you, leaves you for dead and defects to the Soviet Union alongside your target Sokolov and her ex-WW2 unit. After a quick evacuation, you are told you’ll have to re-enter Soviet territory, rescue Sokolov (again) and kill The Boss.

The story is simply one of my favorite stories in videogames. Not only is it interesting and well-written, but there’s also a lot more to it. During the game you’ll find questions like what it means to be a soldier and a patriot and you’ll often ask yourself if doing what your government asked you to do is worth it. All of this makes you want to keep playing and push forward to find out the truth behind The Boss’ defection and how it all will end between her and Snake.

The ending is very emotional and will probably make you want to finish the game again and again.

The level design is very different from that of the first two MGS games. This time most of the game will be spent on the jungle and not inside some sort of facility, which helps put the camo index to better used and makes you feel less like James Bond and more like Snake.

Technical

The game looks great even today, and with the improved graphics it looks even better. While it can’t hold a candle against games like Killzone 2, Uncharted 2 or MGS4, it still looks like it was made in this day and age. The sound has also been revamped and the quality can be noticed.

The game looks very well for a PS2-era game. While it isn’t true HD and it’s just upscaled, it’s still a good improvement from the original.

Regarding glitches/bugs, I ran into no issues throughout the game and haven’t really been told about any by those I know who have played the game, so it’s safe to say Bluepoint Games did a good work with this re-release.

Trophies

MGS3 offers no real challenge to trophy hunters. Although you’ll need to collect every animal/plant in the game and might need to replay it to shoot every Kerotan frog, the lack of emblem-related trophies makes the platinum a low-difficulty plat.

Closing Thoughts

MGS3 is a game that has aged very well and that everyone should experience at least once. Of all the MGS games out there, this one MGS4 a run for it’s money when it comes to talking about the best MGS ever released.

Gameplay: 10/10
    Very in-depth and a huge improvement over the last ones. It’s still fun to play and it has aged well, especially due to the Third Person view.

Singleplayer: 9/10
    With clever level design and a very interesting plot, it makes you want to keep playing through it, even if you’ve finished it 4 times already.

Technical: 10/10
    Bluepoint Games did a very good job. The game has no problems as far as I could experience and it looks and sounds better than ever.

Overall: 9.5/10
    Brilliant
    Last edited by Nagflar; 07-23-2013 at 02:38 AM.

PRO Member

This and Peacewalker are the two MGS games I haven't finished... Looks like I need to fix that.

Good review Nag!
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

One
    Lvl 6 - Silver

No doubt one of the greatest games of this era, arguably better than MGS4. Nice review.

"Oh, so you think that the darkness is your ally? You merely adopted it, I was born in it."

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by One View Post
    No doubt one of the greatest games of this era, arguably better than MGS4. Nice review.
    I would of argued there a few years ago about MGS4 lol. Snake Eater was my favourite game of the ps2 era but now its become the favourite of this era as well. I'm enjoying this on so many more levels. Trophies have taught me how to play this game properly. On ps2 I just run and gun before but now I'm stealth all the way! I love it. I might even get it for Vita.

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by One View Post
    Agreed. I still think it defined the series, and even though MGS4 is fantastic, I can't really think of any other MGS but Snake Eater when it comes down to which one I liked and enjoyed the most.

Quote Originally Posted by Gauss View Post
    This and Peacewalker are the two MGS games I haven't finished... Looks like I need to fix that.

Good review Nag!
    Yes, you should, so get to it!

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Platmate Ass Editor

Should put this in the OP as Thread theme music lol

"The artist has a duty to seduce the ear and delight the spirit"
    You can't spell sarcasm without RC

Did you .... ( _) ( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■) put on sunglasses?

An old-fashioned cowboy

Still the best game in the series. I need to go and get myself this HD collection just so I can replay this game.

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

What more can be said? One of the greatest games ever and one as you say Nag, hasn't lost it's sparkle.

This was the game in the series that made Ocelot my favourite MGS character, it fleshes him out to be more than the delightfully hammy villanous sidekick/mastermind of the other titles.

Lvl 5 - Silver

For me, the best MGS of all of them, Ive played this over so many times. Was a very enjoyable platinum, the Kerotan & Markhor trophies were the only time consuming ones. As Hideo hid them well.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

nice review, I want a copy

Lvl 1 - Bronze

this is my favourite game ever... good review

PRO-M Thanks 2 NeroRadec!

Without a doubt, thee best Metal Gear Solid game EVER.
    ..Another great review!

Signature by DaRe_xLw

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I will enjoy playing this game because i did not have it in ps2 niiiiiiice game