Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty Review

This is a discussion on Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty Review within the Game Reviews forum, part of the Trophy Guides, Reviews & Articles; Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty HD by Nagflar Basic Information: Developer: Kojima Productions (ported by Bluepoint Games) Publisher: ...

Kiwi Defender

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty Review

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty HD
    by Nagflar

Basic Information:
    Developer: Kojima Productions (ported by Bluepoint Games)
    Publisher: Konami
    North American Release Date: 11/8/2011
    European Release Date: 2/3/2012
    Trophies: Yes, 1 | 4 | 5 | 36
    Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty HD Trophy Guide

Overview

Sons of Liberty is the direct sequel to the original Metal Gear Solid. Released in 2002 for the PS2, it was awarded multiple “Game of the Year” awards and became a huge critical and financial success, even though it sparked a lot of controversy between its fans due to changing its protagonist, Solid Snake, halfway through the game.

Gameplay

The game features a fixed camera like the one in MGS1, and like its predecessor, focuses on stealth and not on combat. For this, the game improved from its predecessor to make it easier. The aforementioned fixed-camera has been improved so you can assimilate the area in a much better way and it follows you in such a fashion which rarely (if ever) obstructs your view and harms the gameplay, since it helps evade guards easily and not bump into them by accident, triggering an Alert. Remember those times when the guard would find one of their sleeping/dead comrades and go into Alert Mode? This can easily be fixed by finding a locker near you and hiding the dead/unconscious body inside it (or, if you are already being chased, you may use the locker to hide yourself).

With a place as big as the Big Shell, you might wonder where you should go to next, but luckily your objectives are clear and always point you in the right direction.

Although you’ll spend most of your time trying to sneak past enemies, it doesn’t mean you won’t find yourself in combat situations, which are handled either with your guns or your fists, the former usually being the best option, especially since you get more and more weapons as the game progresses.

As many of you may remember, aiming consisted of pressing a single button and moving your character’s direction with the analog stick, all while using the fixed-camera view. Well, not only is this still in MGS2, but there’s also a First Person View which allows for much bigger precision. Want to take out a guard on an upper level so you don’t have to deal with him when you get upstairs? Simply use this FP View and shoot him in the head with your gun.

Singleplayer

The game begins with Solid Snake infiltrating a tanker in search of a new Metal Gear variation. Following the Shadow Moses incident, many variations of Metal Gear started popping out around the world thanks to Revolver Ocelot selling the blueprints in the black market, so Solid Snake and Otacon created an organization known as Philanthropy in order to ‘hunt’ and destroy all of them. After the Tanker is boarded by Russian mercenaries, things turn out for the worse and Snake finds himself once again in a dangerous situation.

Kojima provides us with a story full of turns and twists, including Cyborg Ninjas.

MGS2 has one of the most bizarre and complex plots that have ever been released (or at least that I’ve seen). It has so many twists and turns that you may find yourself confused more than once and that make you wonder how many drugs Kojima took to come up with it, since more often than not it is way over the top. Taking that into account, Kojima still manages to keep you interested with the characters and the aforementioned plot twists, since you keep asking yourself what the hell will happen next.

The level design isn’t very original. Most of the levels looks very similar to each other (without counting the little back-tracking that there is in the second half of the game), with a few differences here and there and some special parts in others, but the game still manages to keep some kind of freshness along the way, mainly due to the way the story progresses and the things you are told to do in order to keep moving on.

Technical

This is what every other HD port should be. Not only are the graphics revamped and good-looking, but the audio quality is top-notch. The voices, the score and the in-game noises (like footsteps or the sound of guns being fired) have all been improved from what I can tell.

Snake never looked so good before (without being old, that is).

The graphics, while still not on-par with the newest PS3 games, look great. When I first saw the opening cinematic with Snake running in the rain at the Manhattan bridge, I was as amazed as when I first saw it on the PS2.

Bluepoint Games did an absolutely great job with this one.

Trophies

MGS2 is by far one of the hardest platinums for an HD remake. Not only must you play through the game 5 times (one in each difficulty) and get every dog tag, but you must also beat every VR missions, some of them being a true test of skill and patience. If you are skilled enough to get the plat, you’ve got my respect.

Closing Thoughts

MGS2 is still one of the best games ever released on the PS2, and this is a port that lives up to that legacy. With improved graphics and sound, and a gameplay that has aged well, it’s a great game to play even today.

Gameplay: 10/10
    Amazing and very well-done. Still entertaining.

Singleplayer: 8/10
    A very complex (albeit bizarre) plot and semi-original level design make this an overall enjoyable experience.

Technical: 10/10
    A port (alongside Snake Eater) all other ports should look up to.

Overall: 9 /10 Brilliant
    Last edited by Nagflar; 02-21-2012 at 04:57 PM.

PRO Member

Good review Nag! Can't say I agree with the score, Kojima's plots are far too convoluted, pretentious, and wordy for me to take them seriously, and the end of this one I find particularly offensive.

However, as a game, was alot of fun! Good Job
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

Lvl 5 - Silver

Excellent review , I think all parts of the audio sounded just as good as the PS2 days. For me an extremely difficult, frustrating, yet rewarding Platinum. Yes VR MGS1 Snake missions...... nuff said.

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by Gauss View Post
    Good review Nag! Can't say I agree with the score, Kojima's plots are far too convoluted, pretentious, and wordy for me to take them seriously, and the end of this one I find particularly offensive.

However, as a game, was alot of fun! Good Job
    I won't lie, Kojima set up the bar on a whole new level when it comes to bizarre and stupidly complex plots when he wrote this game's script, but I still liked it . It kept me hooked all the time, since I kept wondering what the hell could happen next, and I actually enjoyed the last part and have thought of it more ever since SOPA/PIPA/ACTA came to be.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

AAh well done Nag! I love Sons Of Liberty like a second child and you sent me into that warm fuzzy place with that review!

Too many were/are quick to throw fecal matter at this game for it's plot (which is over the top as they come but i love it's sheer madness), Switch of character ( Being Raiden makes you respect Snake as a badass even more) or because they couldn't 'get' stealth (which is silly) but it's aged so very well along with Snake Eater and both deserve to be kept in the annals of gaming masterpieces.

Soon as i finish Skyrim i will unwrap my HD Collection and enjoy this all over again, going for the plat will be tough but i'll try for once as i've done it all before many times.

Also, one of the most touching scenes in gaming lies within this game, well for me anyway.

PRO Member

Ahhhh my favorite game of all time, MGS2. Great review! Personally I love the ultra-confusing Kojima plot. The end of this game is the only time ever in a game that I felt creeped out or uncomfortable. I mean seriously how creepy is "I NEED SCISSORS, 61!!!!" for thoe of you who know what I am talking about.

Sig by Bladia

PRO-M Thanks 2 NeroRadec!

Absolutely love the game, great organized review.

Signature by DaRe_xLw

Lvl 1 - Bronze

This is a freaking awesome game. Although the sudden transition from Snake to Raiden was a bit off-putting for me, it didn't retract from the awesomeness this game had to offer in my opinion. Great review, sir!

***Now the real game begins!***

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Ah this game will forever hold a place in my heart. Great review, man - I happen to agree with with every syllable of this review up until this:

MGS2 has one of the most bizarre and complex plots that have ever been released (or at least that I’ve seen). It has so many twists and turns that you may find yourself confused more than once and that make you wonder how many drugs Kojima took to come up with it, since more often than not it is way over the top. Taking that into account, Kojima still manages to keep you interested with the characters and the aforementioned plot twists, since you keep asking yourself what the hell will happen next.
    Yes, it's not the most accessible story-line ever, but it is perhaps one of the most clairvoyant stories ever conceived; whether that was a happy accident or predetermined goal is something only Kojima will ever know.
    "Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much."
    "I swear I used to be somebody."

PRO Member

Dude, you know you always get my respect... Great Review...

No just to let people know, i've spent the last 2 weeks playing this for the Dogtags one each diff and section....total of 9 plays (havent beaten Extreme Big Shell and Missing One on Normal), so my comments are just cause im burnt on this game...

I agree that this was one of the best games on the PS2 (along with Okami, FFX, Shadow of the Colossus and Kingdom Hearts)

Personally: this was the game that introduced me to the Series, same as Final Fantasy X....and i wasnt disappointed with Raiden's appearance, because like him i had no idea what was going on....

the trophies are no joke, some are a test of skill, a few are test of patience and dumb luck...lol..Chancing the trophies cost me a controller (battery burnt out)...

but like Kojima's other game (Zone of the Ender & the 2nd Runner)....all his games are great in any era and getting the trophies (little only The plat) add an extra burst of awesomeness cause of the history these games have to each different player....
    ~Aim For The Bushes~

Lvl 9 - Gold

I like that MGS2 has a bizarre story. I think its a great story with twists and turns that keep you wanting to play and find out what happens. Although I've played through this games so many times I know the whole story now. The MGS series is one of the only games in which I can keep playing the story and not getting bored of it. Maybe someday I'll get platinum but I'm not rushing it at all as. I always seem to do atleast one playthrough of the series every year

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by ecks13 View Post
    the trophies are no joke, some are a test of skill, a few are test of patience and dumb luck...lol..Chancing the trophies cost me a controller (battery burnt out)...
    Best tip I can give you for now is to keep trying haha. Practice is one of those things that make some of the VR missions possible, and perseverance is most likely what'll help you get past the boss fights in Extreme Difficulty.

Quote Originally Posted by Gotakibono View Post
    Ah this game will forever hold a place in my heart. Great review, man - I happen to agree with with every syllable of this review up until this:

Yes, it's not the most accessible story-line ever, but it is perhaps one of the most clairvoyant stories ever conceived; whether that was a happy accident or predetermined goal is something only Kojima will ever know.
    Yeap, and that's why I love it, for it being so over-the-top (even for Kojima's standards) and extremely bizarre at points. Again, I think it hurts the game story-wise, but it's one of those things that made this game such an iconic one.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Lvl 9 - Gold

One thing I need to say about the story is that makes it extra bizzare but ive had some good childhood memories from can be summed up in this video

was Kojima on drugs when he thought of this??

Lvl 2 - Bronze

To anyone interested, I believe you should read this article on Metal Gear Solid 2. It's a thoroughly well-written article that will truly change your perspective on the game and its much maligned story-line:

Metal Gear Solid 2: Gaming's Greatest Con Job from 1UP.com
    "Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much."
    "I swear I used to be somebody."

Still the Chocobo

Great read and well done review Nagflar. It is one of the most memorable games I've ever played and I'm definetly picking up the HD version sometime. I felt like the plot WAS very bizarre but it never strayed TOO far. For whatever reason though, I hate Raiden.... so much...... Great game though.
    Currently Playing:
    Zombie Tycoon 2
    Brainhov's Revenge

Nothing is true,
    everything is permitted.

Flashy Avatar by K.I.D
    Beautiful Signature by Beam & K.I.D

If I could, I would GLOW

Lvl 9 - Gold

I actuallydidn'tmind Raiden as much as other people, I think he became quite an important character to the series.