Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Mass Effect 3 Review

This is a discussion on Mass Effect 3 Review within the Game Reviews forum, part of the Trophy Guides, Reviews & Articles; very interesting...im in the middle of "dealing with it" right now. i better not comment....

Since Aug. 09

very interesting...im in the middle of "dealing with it" right now. i better not comment.

Dominate!

\(^o^)/ (・。・)

While I agree with the MP aspect of ME3 as being very amazing and fun, I do not see how the incredible sci-fic experience that is ME3's singleplayer can deserve a 2/10. Even if I had doubts about the ending itself, I did not let it cloud my judgment on how well done the rest of ME3's story was. The way Shepard gained allies, united the whole universe against the Reapers, and overcame all obstacles, was well worth playing for. The dialogue and side-missions were pretty entertaining too, and every location was a melting pot of strategic fun. In all, if you would give yourself the chance to play through everything that ME3 has to offer, it is a pretty damn good game (and a fine conclusion to one of the best sci-fic trilogies ever), albeit the sub-par ending. =3
    | Avatar by In2 | | Sig by Athena |

#cutformesa

Quote Originally Posted by Gauss View Post
    Nice review, agree with the score and content.

This is the only sentiment (aside from creative/content complaints) that drives me nuts about the ending-haters in general.

Why does the ending for ME3 ruin the brilliance of ME1 and ME2? Those stories aren't reliant on ME3 for what they are. ME1 and ME2 have been great for years before ME3 comes along.
    It's not that it ruins the playability of the first two games, nor the game itself. However, it removes the fun and tension from all of the decision-making because, in the end, none of those choices turn out to have mattered. The defining characteristic of this series has been the power of choice - dealing with the repercussions and consequences of your actions in each successive installment. That is what has set this series aside from all the others out there - and ME3's ending makes all of those choices count for nothing. I justify the low score by saying that the biggest selling point of this game was utterly ruined in the end. It seems like like a harsh score and it is; I debated for a long time giving it a 9 out of 10 because the rest of the game was stellar. But on every subsequent playthrough after my first it just didn't feel worth it.

Let me reiterate for everyone else: the ending, for me, was awful. I've followed and played this series for years, and it is my favorite of all the games I play. The endings were terrible and they did ruin the other games for me, but that won't be the case for everyone which I stated in the review. You may hate them but still enjoy everything else; you may actually like them or just not care in the end. It just amounts to personal opinion in the end, just like everyone else.

In that spirit I ask you keep things civil when discussing viewpoints on the ending, because we don't need this place to turn into the ME Facebook page or the BioWare Social Network forums or any of those other places. If you really want to hash it out with each other about the endings, do it in the ME3 subforum.

Current Playthrough Counts:
    Mass Effect: 25 || Mass Effect 2: 44
    Mass Effect 3: 15
    Add me for ME3 multiplayer shenanigans.
    First legit Mass Effect 3 100% on PS3T.

SERBIA STRONG

Thanks to Luckay for the ETGWG bar and avy, and Qurb for the sig!

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Really, 2/10? Shitstorm right here.

Lvl 6 - Silver

Such a fantastic first post ^

It's curbs opinion and he is entitled to it. I actually agree, I haven't gone back to it since. I played the hell out of mass effect 1 and 2 but I can't bring myself to go back to ME3.

One
    Lvl 6 - Silver

You praise the singleplayer up until the last 5 minutes, and it gets a 2/10..

"Oh, so you think that the darkness is your ally? You merely adopted it, I was born in it."

The One and Only

Ah, nice review you wrote there Curb.

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist back in contruction!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop with knuckle and Bladia, currently taking requests!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

Let Me Watch

Quote Originally Posted by Feral View Post
    It's not that bad but it's not too good either.
    No, it's THAT bad.
    Thanks to djunglist for the sig and avy

"Got more soul than a sock with a hole"

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    oh this thread is going to be fun to read

also yes it's that bad. It completely ruins the whole entire series in 5 minutes because it's so rushed.
    You know, while I'm still in the process of platinuming ME2 I really don't think that's true. Everyone can stop their bitching about the ending, it was Bioware's story to tell, and they told it. Just because of the ending doesn't mean that Mass Effect one or two are no good, nor does it mean there will be no Mass Effect 4.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Good review. If people are truly that taken aback by the SP score maybe you should read the whole review wherein he gives a clear impression of how single player plays. His score is based on his overall impression at the end of the experience. If someone was truly outraged by the ending (and there seems to be quite a bit of that going around) he has a right to declare the entire SP experience a failure.

The ending of this game certainly didn't ruin the series for me, how could it? I already played and enjoyed the other entries. Did this game go back in time and erase my memory? Then again I wasn't all that surprised by the ending either since the game was basically a 30 hour cutscene. To me that was all the ending and nomatter how long the last piece was it wouldn't be tarnished. ME is one of the few game series where I don't skip dialogue, that alone tells me the story was worth experiencing.

Kiwi Defender

I'm sure that at the moment I get the game and finish it, I'll completely agree with Curb/Ryan/Ps360 because, like them, I would have played all three games. I would've debated who to save, I would've debated who to kill, I would've debated how to get rid of Saren, I would've decided my good ol' commanding officer was more suit to be on the Council because I actually got to know him on the first game, etc, etc. It'll be interesting watching the end of this game and see why so many hard-die fans bash it so much .

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Plat. Blackjack Warrior

NYC, NY ( Or where the Navy sends me :-D)

In my opinion, i rate it 6/10, points taken due to ending but the who experience getting to Point A to Point B was very exciting but the ending doesn't hurt me TOO much. i've experienced WORSE ending then that honestly. Worse game ending ( which can't really remember but hope someone can help me out on this one) was a Asian game who is a ninja/samurai fighter, doesn't talk, carries two swords and VERY BEAUTIFUL graphics....I'll update this once i go to my local gamestop store.

Playing: Final Fantasy 14
    Latest /100%: Saint Rows 4
    Next Platinum/100% Goal: FF 14 (going to a LONG haul...)
    CLAN/GUILD: KUPO KNIGHTS - SARGATANAS SERVER
    LINK: http://kupoknights.guildwork.com/

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I live in Earth, the third planet from the Sun in the Sol Star System in the Milkyway Galaxy

I don't think that Mass Effect 3 singleplayer deserves a 2 out of 10. It should be a 7 out of 10. But I agree. The ending was horrible and still is of you continue to replay singleplayer. Its soooooooo horrible that it upseted 90% of Mass Effect fans in BioWare's Social forums. Plus many other--not accounted--Mass Effect fans.

Platinum Procrastinator

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
    I certainly don't feel the SP score is weighed correctly. By that reasoning, a shitty game with a brilliant ending would merit an 8/10 or higher? Weighing the ending so much in comparison to the rest of the SP experience is incorrect in my opinion.
    I agree with you. It seems you are punishing the game overall because you hated the ending. If the ending sucked for ME or ME2, I'd still rate the games very high because of the campaign, character interaction, and the sub quests. Then again its your review and you can give it whatever you want. However, in my opinion which doesn't mean anything, you put your bias for the ending fist before you factored in the score.
    Like TV shows, join the Small Screen Gossip group!

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by Denaratuck View Post
    I agree with you. It seems you are punishing the game overall because you hated the ending. If the ending sucked for ME or ME2, I'd still rate the games very high because of the campaign, character interaction, and the sub quests. Then again its your review and you can give it whatever you want. However, in my opinion which doesn't mean anything, you put your bias for the ending fist before you factored in the score.
    Well, I guess you need to put yourself in his shoes, first. Not only is he a very big fan since the beginning who has tons of playthroughs in both ME and ME2, but he's also someone who was expecting an ending that concluded everything well and actually gave improtance to his choices throughout the series, thing that it seems to not do. Thus, his disappointment is bigger than that of yours because you just don't love the game like he does and you simply ain't a fan as big as he is. In other words, it might seem like an over-reaction to you, but to him, it's natural.

It'd be like, say, Fringe ending with a flying cookie killing the protagonist without explaining anything, and oyu being massively disappointed and me not giving a crap because it's a fitting ending for such a series.

Toggle Spoiler

My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

This is why I never trust reviews. I liked the ending. So the ending destroyed the single player score? Wow. Don't agree.

Legendary...Nuff Said

Quote Originally Posted by D-Square23 View Post
    This is why I never trust reviews. I liked the ending. So the ending destroyed the single player score? Wow. Don't agree.
    A review is an extensive opinion, you're not supposed to, 'trust,' it, you're only supposed to use it as a jumping off point as to either get something, or to compare YOUR opinion to. You do not need to agree with it, it's one man's opinion vs. another.

deviantART | Gifts | SOTM XXXVI
    Circumstances may change, but circumcisions are forever.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by JackAttack View Post
    A review is an extensive opinion, you're not supposed to, 'trust,' it, you're only supposed to use it as a jumping off point as to either get something, or to compare YOUR opinion to. You do not need to agree with it, it's one man's opinion vs. another.
    your right. but still. I've seen so many people hating it. And I've followed the story as well for a long time. From my perspective of stories, not all of them have a good ending. I however won't let it destroy my love for the games.

Platinum Procrastinator

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    Thus, his disappointment is bigger than that of yours because you just don't love the game like he does and you simply ain't a fan as big as he is. In other words, it might seem like an over-reaction to you, but to him, it's natural.
    How do you know he's a bigger fan of ME than I am? I haven't played ME3 yet but I already own 3 copies of ME2 and two of the original ME and have played both multiple times. That still doesn't mean anything in regards to the single player though, nor does it determine whose a "bigger fan". If the ending wasn't in the game, what would the rating be? I'm sure it would be a heck of a lot higher than 2/10. My problem is that because of the last x amount of minutes, he seems to forget about all the good times he experienced getting to that point.

Again, I haven't played ME3 yet nor have I seen the ending(s). I might get to it and jump on the Bioware must change it wagon. However, with that being said, it still won't make me forget about the experiences of story and side quests along the way. I'll simply just be pissed off at the ending to something I love.
    Like TV shows, join the Small Screen Gossip group!

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by Denaratuck View Post
    How do you know he's a bigger fan of ME than I am? I haven't played ME3 yet but I already own 3 copies of ME2 and two of the original ME and have played both multiple times. That still doesn't mean anything in regards to the single player though, nor does it determine whose a "bigger fan". If the ending wasn't in the game, what would the rating be? I'm sure it would be a heck of a lot higher than 2/10. My problem is that because of the last x amount of minutes, he seems to forget about all the good times he experienced getting to that point.

Again, I haven't played ME3 yet nor have I seen the ending(s). I might get to it and jump on the Bioware must change it wagon. However, with that being said, it still won't make me forget about the experiences of story and side quests along the way. I'll simply just be pissed off at the ending to something I love.
    Wasn't really meaning you, I was generalizing, but ok, point taken.

Ever been truly disappointed with something? No? Well, then this is hard to explain, and even harder to understand. I can't say I defend the score, but I defend his opinion because I've been disappointed with other games in the past (MW2 being a very good example). Until I play it, I'll say whether I agree with the score or not, but this being a game that heavily focuses on decision-making and that always made a point by telling you that said decisions matter, no matter how small/big, for the ending to seemingly disregard all of them and to make everyone rage, it should factor into the score. Not only for the ending, but for the aforementioned focus on decision-making and the weight it has on the overall story.

Toggle Spoiler

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast