Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 109

Mass Effect 3 Review

This is a discussion on Mass Effect 3 Review within the Game Reviews forum, part of the Trophy Guides, Reviews & Articles; Originally Posted by DaveyHasselhoff You wrote a nice review but I wouldn't agree with the SP score you gave the ...

  1. #61
    Kiwi Defender
    Nagflar's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Vice City
    Posts
    6,570
    Reputation
    386

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveyHasselhoff View Post
    You wrote a nice review but I wouldn't agree with the SP score you gave the game...the SP mode of the game should be much higher for the reasons you listed in your review..

    with the score you gave the game on the SP just because of the ending you seem more like an obsessed fan who has been wronged than you do an official review team member with an objective outlook on the scoring for the game. That type of score I would expect from an unofficial review but not from a professional like yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
    Being disappointed in a game is one thing; I, myself, am not disagreeing with that point and I'm aware of how big a fan Curb is of the series. However, for the sake of professionalism, I'm not sure a horrible ending should weigh so heavily on a review.

    I would expect that well-written reviews are done as objectively as possible, although I do realize reviews aren't written in a vacuum so there will always be subjectivity. I would imagine that as members of the Review Team, however, you all would try to minimize the amount of subjectivity involved in writing your reviews. This clearly doesn't seem to be the case with this review. Don't get me wrong, I like Curb, but I certianly disagree with his review of the game.
    I'll tell you both what I've told Minarum countless times: you can't be completely objective, it's impossible. It'd be like asking both of you to stop being who you are, or like wanting to only be objective in your life. It's simply impossible. You can't ask Curb to stop being the fan he is and disregard the huge impression the ending had on him just because you think he exaggerated. In the end, that's the final impression that finishing the game more than once left on him, and that's obviously why he rated it as he did. We've never pointed out how we should weight down the pros/cons of a game and decide how it should be rated, because in the end, that's up to the reviewer and to him, a pron can easily outweight 5 cons, or vice-versa.

    I'd love to assume you both read the review completely (Davey's post gives me said impresison), so stop focusing on the score and focus on that instead. Curb has explaind pretty well how he feels about the game, and you shouldn't limit yourself to what he scored it. If you think he worded it in a way that says "Singleplayer should be a 6/10 according to you", then simply leave it at that, because at least now you know where he's coming from.

    Toggle Spoiler



    Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

  2. #62
    Platinum Dohvakiin
    platzreign's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    This Side of Hell
    Posts
    938
    Reputation
    57

    I'm with Nag on this one. Curb gave it the score he "thought" it deserved. Which is what a review is. One persons thoughts on in this case a game. A person cannot be completely objective in reviewing any kind of media. The whole purpose of the review is to give another person. Your personal thoughts and feelings about it.
    Now I may not have given the game a 2/10. Hitman you said it should have gotten a 6/10. Personally after playing and beating it. I'm still perplexed as how I would rate the SP. But I can understand why he gave it the score he did. Because as a fan of the series. And having played all the games. And spent somewhere around $200 on the entire series. Mass Effect is more than a collection of 3 games. It's an experience. You become emotionally invested in your character, your squad the story you help create. And when you get to the last 5-10 minutes of it. You find out that whole experience was a lie.
    It's like finding someone. Spending 5 years of your life with them. Fall in love and right as your about to propose. You find out that everything about them is a lie. Does it make how you loved them any less real. No. But it's still a kick in the gut. That's ME3's ending in a nutshell. You can still love each individual game. But the over all experience is ruined in the last 10 minutes. And no matter how you slice it up. How something ends. Is the last thing you think about.
    And for Curb it left a really bad taste in his mouth. Me personally. First I was confused, then I became offended, then down right pissed off. because I was blatantly lied too. Which is what a lot of people feel. The score is in all honesty. Just a number and not really all that relevant. The actual words is what counts. Forget the number. Assigning a number to somebody's opinion. Is a guess-ta-mation at best. The only thing that really should matter is. That Curb feels as if the ending to ME3. Was a total let down and a slap in the face to series experience as a whole. Which is what a lot of feel like.
    Gauss will argue that ME3's ending doesn't ruin the stories of the previous games. And to that extent he is right. But for me. ME3's ending, ruined my whole ME experience. Because after watching the story unfold and the choices you make. Ultimately have no meaning or purpose. For me, made the experience as a whole. Not even worth it. Because in the end. it doesn't matter what you did. After years of being told that it would.

    Sig & Avi by:Stupot00
    PlatzReign Supreme
    MLB2K11 Trophy Guide


    Currently Playing:Lightning Returns:FFXIII, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Call of Duty: AW




  3. #63
    Hunter-Scholar-Gentleman
    TerminalPhoenix's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    618
    Reputation
    42

    I'm not a ME fan; I've played the 2nd to a large extent on the PC and it's just not my cup of tea. For some reason, I can't get into it. I'm sure everybody has a critically acclaimed game that they don't necessarily care for. With that being said, I respect ME for what it has done as a series and I'm disappointed as a gamer that they would universally screw up the ending this badly. I agree, an ending can make or break the experience, and from what I've heard from many a people, ME3's ending is thoroughly disappointing.

    I hear that Bioware will be making changes to the endings and this desperate move may potentially salvage some face with some gamers, but for those who went all the way to the end, it may be too late. The game has some impressive strengths; great review btw.

    The Road So Far And The Road Ahead
    `Best Trophy Checklist (2014)
    `Checklist Spotlight #2 Winner (2014)
    `2nd place Trophy Checklist (2013)

    Currently Playing
    `Batman: Arkham Knight [95%]
    `AC: Syndicate [6%]
    `Helldivers [26%]

    Signature & Avatar

    `courtesy of DaRe_xLw


  4. #64
    Lvl 6 - Silver
    The_Tonto's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    578
    Reputation
    22

    Since the Mass Effect 3's ending will be changed. Will Curb be doing a re-review of Mass Effect 3?

    Awesome Sig by TheGeneral09
    My Awesome Checklist

  5. #65
    Local Drunk
    Feral's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    5,999
    Reputation
    603

    Quote Originally Posted by YumeOMiru View Post
    You new to any kind of story telling? You fan of plot holes? You donīt care about the story ? Then by all means ignore the ending.

    and

    I never understood why silver tongue Shepard let ________ f*** him over at the end. A complete 180 turn in balls.
    Honestly I don't have the energy to get into another arguement with you. So let's just leave it at that, alright?


    Awesomely awesome sig by Beam & social group bar by DaRe
    The Local Drunk's Experience With Trophies

  6. #66
    #cutformesa
    Curb's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Faust
    Posts
    629
    Reputation
    117

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Tonto View Post
    Since the Mass Effect 3's ending will be changed. Will Curb be doing a re-review of Mass Effect 3?
    There has been no definitive word that anything will be changed, only that new content is forthcoming and in some way it will provide answers/closure. Since we don't know for certain whether that's an altered ending or simply post-ending content, and since we don't know whether that's paid or free content, there's no way to say right now.




    Current Playthrough Counts:
    Mass Effect: 25 || Mass Effect 2: 44
    Mass Effect 3: 15
    Add me for ME3 multiplayer shenanigans.
    First legit Mass Effect 3 100% on PS3T.


    SERBIA STRONG

    Thanks to Luckay for the ETGWG bar and avy, and Qurb for the sig!

  7. #67
    Trophy Guide Kitten
    Compalicious's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,232
    Reputation
    244

    So here I am to step in. Not to step on the RT or anything. For those of you who do not agree with the review and wanna sit here and say it pisses you off, and it sucks, and he shouldn't write reviews no more, well I would highly suggest thinking before you type, cause Curb has said his piece and people continue say things, so I will now hand out warning and infractions to those who spam this thread with their nonsense.

    Thanks
    K? Thanks

  8. #68
    Lvl 6 - Silver
    crewe-fox's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    406
    Reputation
    4

    Good review Curb, I agree with you on most points keep up the good work

  9. #69
    PRO Member
    Gauss's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,243
    Reputation
    98

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Tonto View Post
    Since the Mass Effect 3's ending will be changed. Will Curb be doing a re-review of Mass Effect 3?
    Depending on what the DLC ends up being, Curb and the rest of the RT can agree on whether a supplemental review will be added or whether an entirely new review will be written.

    The current score is unlikely to change though.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.


    Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

  10. #70
    Team Dingleberry
    simula67's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    363
    Reputation
    10

    My 2 cents: I think the 2/10 rating for single player based on 15 minutes at the end of the game is really weak. Say what you will about the endings, up until the final sequence this game is the best of the three. A 2/10 is like saying that the one burnt potato chip in the bag has ruined the whole bag.

    Looking at Gauss' rating rationale in the post above mine, there is no way that I could honestly describe Mass Effect 3 as "just a plain bad game." I know Curb isn't using Gauss' scale, but still.

    All that being said, it's your review and you can score it as you please. I just disagree with the score. And that's fine.



  11. #71
    The Old Guy
    ONUOsFan's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    393
    Reputation
    27

    I'm going to say what I think, and do it in the nicest, most professional way possible, so infract me if you want, but here goes.

    I get that you are a big fan of the series and you hate the ending. That's your opinion and that's fine. The problem is with the rationale that "this review is my opinion and so I can give it whatever score I want." I'm sorry, but that's just not true. At least it shouldn't be true if you guys want your reviews to be taken seriously. You're allowed to be a fan, and even to let that color the way you write your review, but you still have to give the game an honest assessment of its quality, and no one could possibly believe that this game deserves a 2/10 rating for the quality of the single player campaign.

    As simula said above me, you guys have published a scale and used it to justify other reviews in the past. If you want to throw that out there, you need to stick to it and it needs to mean something, and there's no way that 2/10 is an honest assessment of this game based on your scale. There are 40 to 50 hours of the best single player content in gaming today. I don't care if the last 10 minutes of the game is an episode of Spongebob Squarepants - it still wouldn't deserve a 2/10.





  12. #72
    #cutformesa
    Curb's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Faust
    Posts
    629
    Reputation
    117

    Noted. Thanks for your time.




    Current Playthrough Counts:
    Mass Effect: 25 || Mass Effect 2: 44
    Mass Effect 3: 15
    Add me for ME3 multiplayer shenanigans.
    First legit Mass Effect 3 100% on PS3T.


    SERBIA STRONG

    Thanks to Luckay for the ETGWG bar and avy, and Qurb for the sig!

  13. #73
    Team Dingleberry
    simula67's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    363
    Reputation
    10

    Honest question for you, Curb. You wrote:

    You know how it all ends, so why bother?
    Doesn't this also apply to every game you've ever played, good ending or bad? I know how every game I've played ends, and yet I've replayed plenty of them. Are you saying that you won't replay any game because you know how they all end?



  14. #74
    PRO Member
    Gauss's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,243
    Reputation
    98

    2nd opinion is up.

    Quote Originally Posted by ONUOsFan View Post
    There are 40 to 50 hours of the best single player content in gaming today.
    I disagree with this statement though... Its 40 to 50 hours of some SP content that is mixed between really good, really boring, and exploration/side-content that is very "mini-gamish."

    I think its actually pretty average in regards to SP campaign.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.


    Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

  15. #75
    #cutformesa
    Curb's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Faust
    Posts
    629
    Reputation
    117

    Quote Originally Posted by simula67 View Post
    Honest question for you, Curb. You wrote:



    Doesn't this also apply to every game you've ever played, good ending or bad? I know how every game I've played ends, and yet I've replayed plenty of them. Are you saying that you won't replay any game because you know how they all end?
    You're right; I should revise that statement. "You know how badly it ends, so why bother?" None of your choices matter in the end; everything you do in the three games is utterly pointless. You get the same shitty endings each time, so why bother putting in the time to make those choices? That's what the ending take away from you. Mass Effect's biggest feature is rendered completely useless by the third game's ending. Honestly, the only choice that has any impact at all is what your Shepard looks like. That's it.




    Current Playthrough Counts:
    Mass Effect: 25 || Mass Effect 2: 44
    Mass Effect 3: 15
    Add me for ME3 multiplayer shenanigans.
    First legit Mass Effect 3 100% on PS3T.


    SERBIA STRONG

    Thanks to Luckay for the ETGWG bar and avy, and Qurb for the sig!

  16. #76
    The Old Guy
    ONUOsFan's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    393
    Reputation
    27

    Quote Originally Posted by Gauss View Post
    2nd opinion is up.



    I disagree with this statement though... Its 40 to 50 hours of some SP content that is mixed between really good, really boring, and exploration/side-content that is very "mini-gamish."

    I think its actually pretty average in regards to SP campaign.
    Fair enough. But even with that I'd start with a score of, say 7 or so... and then mark it down a point or two for the ending.





  17. #77
    Team Dingleberry
    simula67's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    363
    Reputation
    10

    Quote Originally Posted by Curb View Post
    None of your choices matter in the end; everything you do in the three games is utterly pointless. You get the same shitty endings each time, so why bother putting in the time to make those choices?
    That's what I was getting at. Can't argue with that.



  18. #78
    #cutformesa
    Curb's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Faust
    Posts
    629
    Reputation
    117

    Quote Originally Posted by simula67 View Post
    That's what I was getting at. Can't argue with that.
    I think we may be dancing around the same idea, but just to reiterate I do replay most, if not all of my games, and ME3 is no exception. I got an early copy and I'm now halfway through playthrough number six. However, it doesn't appeal to me as much as it did the first time by a longshot, and yet ME and ME2 both did. But now they too don't have the same enjoyment - I'll still replay them time to time, and I guess if the rumors are true and ME3 does get a retconned ending then maybe I'll enjoy them again. But it's not the same, and that's why it's gotten such a low score. Any game can have a bad ending, but it takes a special kind of terrible to mar an entire series. It's the difference between my disappointment with God of War III still allowing me to enjoy the first two/four games, and my disappointment with ME3 ruining the enjoyment of ME and ME2. It's so bad that it steps beyond it's own badness to actually hurt other games in the series as well.

    But one more time, to everyone reading this, that is just my opinion. There are many, many people who agree with me, and also just as many who don't. That's the point. At least give it one playthrough; it's worth that at least.




    Current Playthrough Counts:
    Mass Effect: 25 || Mass Effect 2: 44
    Mass Effect 3: 15
    Add me for ME3 multiplayer shenanigans.
    First legit Mass Effect 3 100% on PS3T.


    SERBIA STRONG

    Thanks to Luckay for the ETGWG bar and avy, and Qurb for the sig!

  19. #79
    KCCO!
    Hitman's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,748
    Reputation
    196

    Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    I'll tell you both what I've told Minarum countless times: you can't be completely objective, it's impossible. It'd be like asking both of you to stop being who you are, or like wanting to only be objective in your life. It's simply impossible.
    You quoted me and obviously didn't read my post.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman
    I would expect that well-written reviews are done as objectively as possible, although I do realize reviews aren't written in a vacuum so there will always be subjectivity. I would imagine that as members of the Review Team, however, you all would try to minimize the amount of subjectivity involved in writing your reviews.
    I never said subjectivity wouldn't come into play. However, it seems like the scores was based on COMPLETE subjectivity.

  20. #80
    PRO Member
    Gauss's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,243
    Reputation
    98

    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
    I never said subjectivity wouldn't come into play. However, it seems like the scores was based on COMPLETE subjectivity.
    Well the question becomes how "subjective" we are talking about here, I'll approach it from a different direction.

    As an example (this appears in multiple places, but since its been in this thread alot I'll use it) After you've finished playing the game, and the ending really does leave that bad taste in your mouth, do you really want to give it a 7/10 or 6/10 in light of the ending?

    You can't necessarily sever those two in a universal sense, you can't say "well, its only 15 minutes of 40 hours" because it makes a big impact. Its what the story is building to, its among the most important 15 minutes in the whole story.

    Would you rate a day 7/10 if it was generally a good day, but right before bed someone hit you in the balls with a baseball bat?

    You can't say for certain the average person would agree with your answer. The important thing is you have a few paragraphs explaining why you came to your answer. This way you (Hitman) can say "Well, I see everything Curb is saying, makes sense... I think I'd give something else to SP" (As an example)
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.


    Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:11 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.10
Copyright © 2018 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO