Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Mass Effect 3 Review

This is a discussion on Mass Effect 3 Review within the Game Reviews forum, part of the Trophy Guides, Reviews & Articles; I know I speak for myself but I am certain there are others like me out there who believe that ...

Hunter-Scholar-Gentleman

I know I speak for myself but I am certain there are others like me out there who believe that playing games, reading books, watching movies, listening to songs, no matter what the artistic medium, it all comes down to the experience they provide. I may enjoy a movie or a book because it created a great experience; I may have laughed, cried, been angry or passionate about something in it. At the end of the day, that experience was amazing for the things it did well or bad because of things it didn't do so well.

It looks like no matter how much Curb enjoyed playing ME3, the ending ruined his overall experience. From a large number of people, 60K+ from the looks of it, this seems to be a consistent mood. Their overall experience was ruined by the ending and the time they invested in the series.

I think people are missing the point that at the end of the day, ME3 is scored at 7/10, which is a decent score. It is by no means superb, but it's not a horrid review either. And considering Curb's passion for this game, I think he was generous. If something I loved and enjoyed disappointed me this badly, I probably would've rated the entire game at 2/10 and be done with it. The fact that Curb has sat behind his review and tried to explain it shows a lot of courage and character and I feel that comes across in his review. I would much rather listen to a thing he has to say because I know he believes in it, he is passionate about it and it's true to him.

I still reserve the right to make my own damn mind about something. At the end of day, I can appreciate the fact that a disappointment is a disappointment; it doesn't matter how good the graphics are, how good the story is or the voice acting may be. All of those little ingredients create the experience and if one of those ingredients is rotten, then your overall gaming plate is spoiled.

The Road So Far And The Road Ahead
    `Best Trophy Checklist (2014)
    `Checklist Spotlight #2 Winner (2014)
    `2nd place Trophy Checklist (2013)

Currently Playing
    `Batman: Arkham Knight [95%]
    `AC: Syndicate [6%]
    `Helldivers [26%]

Signature & Avatar

`courtesy of DaRe_xLw

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
    You quoted me and obviously didn't read my post.

I never said subjectivity wouldn't come into play. However, it seems like the scores was based on COMPLETE subjectivity.
    You obviously didn't read mine, for I was clearly replying to both you and Davey, so I didn't really address you or him individually.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by kiona05 View Post
    feel bad for the poor sucker looking to buy this game but is on the fence. if he comes to this site for a review...he wont ever get to enjoy this amazing game. why? because the awful score based on a so called "bad ending" from this reviewer will sway him away as soon as he sees 2/10. thats just lame. the whole review is basically based on the ending...sad really.

p.s. if your on the fence about this game DONT BE, its flipping amazing. i feel real bad for people that let an endinig ruin an entire series. dont give me hes a bigger fan B.S, you just sound even more "entitled" than you already do.
    I don't honestly believe Curb's review is going to sway anyone's opinion. We're all savvy enough to read multiple reviews from our favourite gaming sites, aggregators like Metacritic, GameRankings etc and discuss with friends to formulate our own value judgment. I know the ending is pants, but I don't care - I'll still buy and enjoy the game, possibly more-so because i'll set the benchmark for my expectations lower than rabid ME fans.

I'm currently working my way through Mass Effect on 360 and I gotta admit...it's kinda meh. I was really hoping it'd live up to the Game of the Year status, but it's left me feeling, quite frankly, bored. I like (but don't love) the setting, the story, the characters, the dialogue trees, the artwork, voice acting, cut-scenes etc, but the core RPG experience and combat is lacklustre and the side-quests & world exploration is boring as batshit. I'm not getting sucked into the world of ME and the bulk of it feels more like a chore than a pleasure.

You can breeze through and thoroughly enjoy the short main storyline in 8-10 hours (and probably should leave it there), but as an RPG completionist (like most here), I feel the 20-30 additional hours you need to invest in generic "scrape map, find base, kill baddies, loot gear" scenarios using recycled scenery is wasted effort and simple content padding for the sake of Achievements.

I like ME and I look forward to completing the trilogy, but I really don't get the hype over the role-playing choices or the fuss over the shoe-horned ending. I don't get the feeling that my Paragon / Renegade dialogue responses significantly shape the storyline at all. Dialogue trees don't make any difference to me aside from which option returns the most credits, karma & XP and allows me to kill the most NPCs for their equipment. I'm not even bothering to role-play because it makes zero difference if you're a Paragon on one assignment and a Renegade on the next.

Sure, you get a small amount of flow-on from ME > ME2 > ME3 depending on assignment outcomes, but they're mostly just "Oh hi! Fancy seeing you here. Glad I didn't kill you, I'll never see you again." encounters. The only occasions it actually matters in ME are a few "nail Asari / arrogant white broad", "save Wrex / forgettable white chick" or "convince Saren to blow his brains out" decisions. My choice one way or another doesn't boil down to character empathy or storyline development, but whether or not they have the stats to warrant a slot in my team, or the decision pops a cheevo.

So far in ME, I'd prefer to skip the bulk of the dialogue, ignore all of the side-quests, ditch the exploration, and the combat is far too easy with Spectre weapons in your hands. When you boil it right back to the main storyline, ME is a decent 10 hour game and is well worth playing. As a 40 hour do-all-and-see-all RPG, it's bland and is not worth replaying.

ME is not a game that'll stick in my memory and I'm yet to find a dialogue response that makes any significant difference to the outcome. I'm hoping that's not the case in ME2 / ME3 and your choices do shape the game, even though I already know it ultimately doesn't matter. But that won't dampen my overall experience of the individual games or the series as a whole, which has to date been enjoyable but forgettable and probably warrants no more than 7/10.
    Last edited by ant1th3s1s; 03-27-2012 at 11:09 PM.

\(^o^)/ (・。・)

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post

Toggle Spoiler

Don't worry, ME2 and 3 are better than ME1, seeing as I have already played through both by now. As for a comparison between ME2 and 3, I would have to say that ME3 delivered a very satisfying conclusion to the series, albeit the sub-par ending; the voice cast was amazing, as were the environments (wait until you get into the Geth Consensus). The graphics were also better than in ME2, but at the end of the day, both are great games in their own right. Don't let reviews sway you from an otherwise great sci-fic trilogy, so finish them all! =3

Though, if you want a harder difficulty, ME2's Insanity mode is right up there while ME3's is slightly easier, sort of.

PS: You will be addicted to ME3's multiplayer; the co-op system is quite fun. I have already spent endless hours on it by now, long after I had done everything in the single-player campaign, and will still be spending more.
    Last edited by cocoasg; 03-27-2012 at 11:51 PM.
    | Avatar by In2 | | Sig by Athena |

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by cocoasg View Post
    Don't worry, ME2 and 3 are better than ME1, seeing as I have already played through both by now. As for a comparison between ME2 and 3, I would have to say that ME3 delivered a very satisfying conclusion to the series, albeit the sub-par ending; the voice cast was amazing, as were the environments (wait until you get into the Geth Consensus). The graphics were also better than in ME2, but at the end of the day, both are great games in their own right. Don't let reviews sway you from an otherwise great sci-fic trilogy, so finish them all! =3

Though, if you want a harder difficulty, ME2's Insanity mode is right up there while ME3's is slightly easier, sort of.

PS: You will be addicted to ME3's multiplayer; the co-op system is quite fun. I have already spent endless hours on it by now, long after I had done everything in the single-player campaign, and will still be spending more.
    Glad to hear it Cocoa. I have the impression that both ME2 and ME3 are vast improvements over ME, and from my point-of-view, they need to be.

Reviews never sway me - if a game looks good, I'll play it eventually and make up my own mind. I really want to like ME, and I do from a character, story and setting perspective, but the easy combat, repetitive gameplay and dull side quests are sorely letting me down. I was disappointed to find you effectively have only a handful of storyline missions, making it a much smaller game than I was led to believe.

My advice to other new ME players (which is kinda irrelevant given this is a PS3 forum, but we do have PC and 360 gamers here) is to ignore the side quests, forget dialogue consequences and follow the Missions through to completion for the most enjoyable experience. Then replay it on a harder setting if you really want to explore the full game which IMHO, isn't worth the effort.

That said, I'm looking forward to completing ME and getting stuck into ME2, shortly followed by ME3. I think i'll get a lot more out of the sequels than the original.

Since Aug. 09

[QUOTE=ant1th3s1s;200541]Glad to hear it Cocoa. I have the impression that both ME2 and ME3 are vast improvements over ME, and from my point-of-view, they need to be.

Reviews never sway me - if a game looks good, I'll play it eventually and make up my own mind. I really want to like ME, and I do from a character, story and setting perspective, but the easy combat, repetitive gameplay and dull side quests are sorely letting me down. I was disappointed to find you effectively have only a handful of storyline missions, making it a much smaller game than I was led to believe.

My advice to other new ME players (which is kinda irrelevant given this is a PS3 forum, but we do have PC and 360 gamers here) is to ignore the side quests, forget dialogue consequences and follow the Missions through to completion for the most enjoyable experience. Then replay it on a harder setting if you really want to explore the full game which IMHO, isn't worth the effort.

That said, I'm looking forward to completing ME and getting stuck into ME2, shortly followed by ME3. I think i'll get a lot more out of the sequels than the original.[/QUOTE

i agree 100%...i personaly have never bought a game based on a review. but if you ever read the post in alot of the reviews here you will see alot of..."oh curb great review, you just swayed me to buy this game!" or vice versa. just saying.

Dominate!

Immortal

Still haven't finished the game yet, but am preparing myself for a massive anti-climax, and it's a rent - so I don't mind so much.
    *spoiler!* Slightly annoyed that Traynor is a lesbian

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    also yes it's that bad. It completely ruins the whole entire series in 5 minutes because it's so rushed.
    ^Quick question: What platform did you play this on? Can't see it on either your Steam account, or PSN. You seem to bash everything(to be honest, in this instance you're probably correct), yet you don't actually seem to play a lot. Unless... it's on a '360 - then comes the question: Why are you on a PS3 community?

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Swanny View Post
    *spoiler!* Slightly annoyed that Traynor is a lesbian
    I'll give you +rep for this when I can...

I actually kinda liked her character quite a bit, wanted to romance her but the way they handle the Male Shep "romance" caught me off guard and actually kind of pissed me off.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    there are times where the ending can ruin everything.

this game is one of those times imo.

Remember star wars, where the force was this mystical thing of wonder and you had so many questions for how it worked (for me anyway)? it was a awesome thing to think about

then george lucas ruined it by saying it's mini-organisms in your blood stream called midichlorians.

thats how mass effect fans felt towards the ending.
    And that is exactly why they are remaking the ending now. Just because of this im buying the game used (unless theres an online pass then i may just avoid the game) i was gonna buy it new but i dont felling like giving EA any cash for this game the whole point of this series is to make choices that will cause changes in the future good or bad not the same (people who completed the game will know what i mean)

Real Life Alchemist

2/10 for the ending, guess black will be black and white will be white. Ever heard of gray? All the ending haters are so fixated on how bad the ending is that most of them completely lost sight of anything relevant about the game.

No offence but the way the "ending haters" keep talking about the ending and won't relativize the rest of the game just feels like "racism".
    One german wanted to kill all jews so all germans want to kill the jews? That's the feeling I get from "ending haters"

I don't intend to insult anyone by this, it's just a figure of speech and how I feel when I read ending hater opinions

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dondar01 View Post
    2/10 for the ending, guess black will be black and white will be white. Ever heard of gray? All the ending haters are so fixated on how bad the ending is that most of them completely lost sight of anything relevant about the game.
    You mean the game that even ignoring the ending feels like a step back from ME2? A game with less character development/character focus than either of its previous 2 titles? Look, ME3 (minus the ending) isn't bad, but its not really stellar either...

ME3 feels smaller, there is less side-content, and most of the fetch-quests are kind of garbage. Its lower quality in the writing department than ME2 for sure. There just isn't as much thats relevant going on...

ME3 is an above-average story with the worst ending of any major game this generation (worse than MW2).
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.

KCCO!

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    You obviously didn't read mine, for I was clearly replying to both you and Davey, so I didn't really address you or him individually.
    Then our responses should've been mutually exclusive, seeing as how that part of the response didn't pertain to what I said. :stare:

Quote Originally Posted by Gauss View Post
    You mean the game that even ignoring the ending feels like a step back from ME2? A game with less character development/character focus than either of its previous 2 titles? Look, ME3 (minus the ending) isn't bad, but its not really stellar either...

ME3 feels smaller, there is less side-content, and most of the fetch-quests are kind of garbage. Its lower quality in the writing department than ME2 for sure. There just isn't as much thats relevant going on...

ME3 is an above-average story with the worst ending of any major game this generation (worse than MW2).
    I sort of liked how they changed the handling of the very minor missions. That's one thing I didn't like about ME2, how you had to probe each individual planet for minerals and other such things. I like that the game told you, pretty much, when a planet was useful for probing or not. That particular "mini-game" aspect of ME2 was a waste of time, much like the door hacking was. ME3 may seem shorter, and in fact, in most regards it is, but length doesn't always equal quality.

The Old Guy

Quote Originally Posted by Swanny View Post
    then comes the question: Why are you on a PS3 community?
    A question we've all been asking Ps360 for years...

The ending was not great by any means, but it wasn't 2/10 worthy, either. The only thing that really bothers me about it is the nagging suspicion that it was all a ploy to sell the "fixed" ending as DLC. Remember that chart they published about how DLC development has to happen alongside of the main game, when they were trying to justify the day one stuff?

Kiwi Defender

Then our responses should've been mutually exclusive, seeing as how that part of the response didn't pertain to what I said. :stare:
    That's one way of looking at it :stare::stare::stare::stare:.

Quote Originally Posted by ONUOsFan View Post
    A question we've all been asking Ps360 for years...

The ending was not great by any means, but it wasn't 2/10 worthy, either. The only thing that really bothers me about it is the nagging suspicion that it was all a ploy to sell the "fixed" ending as DLC. Remember that chart they published about how DLC development has to happen alongside of the main game, when they were trying to justify the day one stuff?
    Ps360 does play his Ps3, though. He just happens to overreact when Sony fucks up (thing that sadly happens very often) and blow it out of proportions, just like some people love to overrate CoD.

I've been thinking the same for quite a while, too, and I'd be willing to bet it was their plan all along, but without proof, I can't be 100% sure.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

PRO Member

I sort of liked how they changed the handling of the very minor missions. That's one thing I didn't like about ME2, how you had to probe each individual planet for minerals and other such things. I like that the game told you, pretty much, when a planet was useful for probing or not. That particular "mini-game" aspect of ME2 was a waste of time, much like the door hacking was. ME3 may seem shorter, and in fact, in most regards it is, but length doesn't always equal quality.
    Yeah, length does not equal quality, on this I agree. Its not just the length though, the entire galaxy in ME3 feels smaller than it ever has.

Royal Flush X2

I'm still gonna buy this game and enjoy it. Gameplay matters to me more than story. Story is just a bonus to me lol.

Lvl 7 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Gauss View Post
    Yeah, length does not equal quality, on this I agree. Its not just the length though, the entire galaxy in ME3 feels smaller than it ever has.
    Yeah, I'll agree with this. In Mass Effect 3 everything felt like it was all in one area. It didn't really bother me but the universe of ME3 did feel smaller than its predecessors.

Sig and avatar courtesy of ABSTRACT678
    Platbar courtesy of ThunderStick

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Mass Effect 3 got the same score as Rayman 3 Hoodlum Havoc HD? WOW.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I have come back from the dead.....to tell all the people whining how much the ending ruins the game that they need to stop whining...BUT FIRST: reviews are reviews, so dont get mad curb, nag, or gauss for that...if you disagree otherwise, go crazy

ANWAYS.....a few small things about the ending, to start...lets see. This game was the closing of a widely-acclaimed and loved trilogy, so like most of the game ending trilogies like this, they face a ridiculous task in bringing to wraps this amazing story across these games, that has become adored by many, and who all want their own satisfying ending. I think that while the cutscenes may have totally left everyone in the dark....really, its not that bad. For example....think of most movie trilogies, the first two i think of are Jurassic Park and Transformers. these games are great movies, and the trilogies are very well made....but the endings leave much to be desired...know WHY? because the trilogy was so satisfying, that you want more...but thinking on it, if they make more to satisfy people, eventually it will spoil, ala Call of Duty. everything has to end, and to me, when you want more of it, that means you should treasure what you have, because its the best you'll get.

TO THE NEXT POINT! honestly, i dont care if you say "oh, the ending pissed me off....but in honesty the game wasnt too bad otherwise". Mass Effect 3, to me, had more emotional, though provoking choices to make, the combat is much smoother, the story (as in the return of past friends, and the meeting of new ones) was great. Hell, when i got to the ending choices, i sat there for 10 minutes, thinking to myself "what do i feel is right?"...i did what i felt was the right choice, and im happy with it. anything else i dont care, all that matters is that i did what i felt was the right choice, and i will stand by that.

last thing, here....Nag and some others said that the game ruins the others, mostly by making the choices made seem worthless....not exactly. say, for example, you decided to save Wrex in ME1...you get to see him for one last time, and go on one HELL of a mission in Mass Effect 3. its not so much that they are worthless....they definitely come into play in the game, and honestly, when those credits rolled, even though i only got to play the second two, i thought about everything ive done in those two games...and i was fine saying im happy with my choices.

Honestly, besides this...and im going to get pissy here.....they are changing the ending, because everyone stood up. good for you if you did. they are making it....want to keep whining? its pointless, and really friggen annoying, so just be happy and wait....and maybe try stop being tunnel visioned into thinking that the ending should represent everything about this series and what you've done.....the ending seals the story, but your choices through the game should be something you fondly remember.

.....now i need to go die again, if you will excuse me, my job of trying to set some people straight is over.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Interesting review i personally disagree with the score but it was a good read. I really liked how my choices in the previous games had an effect on the game but i was very displeased on how little all my efforts to bring the galaxy together made no difference to the ending.

'You're a soldier! Finish your mission! Show your loyalty! Face me.'

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast