Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Mass Effect 3 Review

This is a discussion on Mass Effect 3 Review within the Game Reviews forum, part of the Trophy Guides, Reviews & Articles; How can you let an ending bitter you this much? I'd say that 99% of all video games ending suck ...

the dead don't speak

How can you let an ending bitter you this much? I'd say that 99% of all video games ending suck donkey cock. Ending a game always suck anyway. You're done with it. If you played until the end, you enjoyed the game and ending it sucks. I remember back in the 80s you got a GAME OVER and started the back at level one. When I'll play ME3, I might agree on the plot holes but trashing a game down to 2/10 solely because the end is poor is not being objective. Anyway. I'll still get the game soon and figure this out by myself

Lvl 1 - Bronze

well, I for one, completely agree with the 2/10 score. I spent years of my game time coming to know and love some of the characters in the game.. developing relationships and really taking part in the character interactions. It was more like an interactive movie for me than just another game. I am a person who likes to suspend my reality when I game, so I emotionally attach myself to characters, especially in bioware games where the character development and interactions are so well done.
    To have spent all that time and effort through 3 games bringing relationships and character developments together, I was expecting a rewarding end. If you think about it, your choices in ME1 effect ME2.. then your choices in ME2 effect ME3, then every choice you have made and every relationship you have forged through all 3 games, end up amounting to SHIT at the end of the series. It absolutely takes away from the "Gameplay" for me. As much as I like "take cover..then fire" Gameplay. It isn't groundbreaking or even new, the story IS... and the end absolutely spit on the entire series.
    Last edited by Arcanephilosophy; 04-29-2012 at 02:52 PM. Reason: I reek at all things - spelling

Legend...Nuff Said

Here is some food for thought. Ever think that Bioware played everyone for fools and the message of the whole series went over everyone's head?

I, thankfully, never had an XBOX so I didn't get on the ME bandwagon in the beginning, and only just beat 2 and 3 this past month. But from what everyone has said, and everything I read, the defining part of the game is all the 'choices' people make.
    I think people don't realize that there are no 'real' choices in the game. There are lots of smaller choices that make some cosmetic choices on the game world, but there is nothing that can be done that makes any long-lasting consequence to the game world.
    The whole game series is one big analogy about free will, and the belief we have free will but in the end we don't.

Now, you might say to me "Oh, but so and so died". Yes, characters can be perma-killed but does that change the world? Nope. There is just a generic put in that characters place. Losing Tali and Garrus as playable characters in 3 is just a cosmetic change. The world doesn't shift without them.
    "Oh, but you can choose different characters to romance". Yes you can, but does that change the world? Nope, nothing special happens but a differing couple sentences of dialogue.
    "Oh, but you killed off the spider creatures" Yeah, but they came back again. Nothing changed.

The story doesn't change no matter what anyone does from 1-3.

L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.
    Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter @LasombraFiles
    My novels can be found here: The Lasombra Files: Choice and Consequence and
    Til Death Do Us Part
    Big thanks to the site for giving me my start as a writer!

#cutformesa

Quote Originally Posted by Lasombra View Post
    Here is some food for thought. Ever think that Bioware played everyone for fools and the message of the whole series went over everyone's head?

I, thankfully, never had an XBOX so I didn't get on the ME bandwagon in the beginning, and only just beat 2 and 3 this past month. But from what everyone has said, and everything I read, the defining part of the game is all the 'choices' people make.
    I think people don't realize that there are no 'real' choices in the game. There are lots of smaller choices that make some cosmetic choices on the game world, but there is nothing that can be done that makes any long-lasting consequence to the game world.
    The whole game series is one big analogy about free will, and the belief we have free will but in the end we don't.

Now, you might say to me "Oh, but so and so died". Yes, characters can be perma-killed but does that change the world? Nope. There is just a generic put in that characters place. Losing Tali and Garrus as playable characters in 3 is just a cosmetic change. The world doesn't shift without them.
    "Oh, but you can choose different characters to romance". Yes you can, but does that change the world? Nope, nothing special happens but a differing couple sentences of dialogue.
    "Oh, but you killed off the spider creatures" Yeah, but they came back again. Nothing changed.

No one's saying that it changes anything on a fundamental level - it would be too much work for BioWare; this isn't the Witcher 2 where the entire middle section of the game can be bypassed based on earlier choices. But it still feels like your world because of the things you do to shape it, and BioWare promised that the endings would actually expand upon that and offer significant choices. The word that came up over and over was 'divergent'; the endings were promised to have wildly different outcomes and choices which was not present. It wasn't in line with other choices earlier in the series - however much they hadn't actually done anything, they still felt like they changed things, which was the whole point anyway.

Current Playthrough Counts:
    Mass Effect: 25 || Mass Effect 2: 44
    Mass Effect 3: 15
    Add me for ME3 multiplayer shenanigans.
    First legit Mass Effect 3 100% on PS3T.

SERBIA STRONG

Thanks to Luckay for the ETGWG bar and avy, and Qurb for the sig!

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Mister Curb I'd like to extend an apology. I hadn't experienced the ending myself when I saw this review and couldn't believe what was being said. But after experiencing it I despise it beyond belief. The Extended Cut however I liked. So I apologize for thinking you were biased and whatnot. Being another fan of ME I would've given the game the same score.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Was this too short? A friend finished it in one day... Just a few hours.

#cutformesa

Quote Originally Posted by Javito12PR View Post
    Then he bypassed a large number of side missions and extra content. But even then, even doing only the required missions, he still wouldn't have been able to finish in one day unless he sat down from morning until evening. At bare minimum this game's about 15 hours for the first playthrough.

Current Playthrough Counts:
    Mass Effect: 25 || Mass Effect 2: 44
    Mass Effect 3: 15
    Add me for ME3 multiplayer shenanigans.
    First legit Mass Effect 3 100% on PS3T.

SERBIA STRONG

Thanks to Luckay for the ETGWG bar and avy, and Qurb for the sig!

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Javito12PR View Post
    Every game in the series is roughly 50 hours per playthrough, assuming you do and see everything.

Given ME2 and ME3 side-missions are heavily story-driven (ME1's assignments were terribly weak), you're robbing yourself of the full experience by rushing through it. And your friend is bullshitting you - there's no way on God's green Earth to complete it in "just a few hours".

BTW, having played little else than the Mass Effect trilogy for the last three months, I completely disagree with the 2/10 single-player rating. To focus on the pink ribbon and bow on a massive, shiny box of goodies is just silly.

There's 150 solid hours of gameplay to be had in the Mass Effect universe, double if you do both Paragon and Renegade playthroughs. To suggest the single-player for ME3 verged on "worst game ever" territory is ludicrous based on the 10 minute ending and demonstrates extreme bias. Knock a point off for disliking the ending, not 7 or 8 points.

Honestly, I neither liked nor disliked the ending - I simply accepted it and thought nothing more of it. In no way did it taint my experience, which was overwhelmingly positive and I felt enough closure to pack away the Blu-Ray and leave Shepard to his or her fate. I really don't understand the collective pissing and moaning, but each to their own...

If anything, the weakest part of the game by far is the multiplayer, which recycles singleplayer levels and shoe-horns a co-op into it. That said, it's still a blast to play and the character / weapon unlocks provides incentive to keep playing beyond pinging the trophies.

If anyone's sitting on the fence about getting ME3 based on the shitstorm over the cut-scene ending, play the game and decide for yourself, or download the Extended Cut to soothe your butthurt. It's an excellent series and I'm now having trouble getting into other RPG's after the incredibly high benchmark set by Mass Effect. It truly rocked my world, or in this case my galaxy.

#cutformesa

Quote Originally Posted by Lasombra View Post

Simply starting your argument with "I, thankfully, never had an XBOX" immediately makes me question reading the rest of your post. Still though I was intrigued by what blind ignorance could concoct so I gave it a go. It is true that the overall story doesn't change through your actions but the world itself is indeed at least shaped by your actions. Seemingly small decisions from ME1 as well as quite large ones (I'm talking *that* decision at the end game) do affect how ME2 and ME3 appear and treat your character. Decisions in ME2 will greatly affect missions in ME3. Saying that the world doesn't shift without certain characters from ME1 and ME2 is simply wrong; Tuchunka is a prime example of that. The story might not change as a whole, but the world most definitely does and that's what made this series something that people cherished because there was / is a proper connection between what you do and how things play out.

If you play as a renegade Shepard it is easy to see how that connection can affect you. Being a total renegade leaves you feeling like a total **** afterwards because this game does affect you on a deeper level than most. Your decisions and actions make this so. Saying that they are meaningless is quite simply being ignorant of how the human mind and emotions work.

- PS3T OG -
    All Hail The Eyepat
    "If I find out that LeeMcD slags my good name off to anyone else I will personally track him down and teach the little puff a lesson." - LEE200

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456