The Amazing Spider-Man Review

This is a discussion on The Amazing Spider-Man Review within the Game Reviews forum, part of the Trophy Guides, Reviews & Articles; The Amazing Spider-Man Review by NeroRadec Basic Information Developer: Beenox Publisher: Activision Genre : Action-Adventure North American Release Date: June ...

Harvester of Souls

by NeroRadec

Basic Information
    Developer: Beenox
    Publisher: Activision
    Genre: Action-Adventure
    North American Release Date: June 26, 2012
    European Release Date: June 29, 2012
    Trophies: 1 | 2 | 11 | 33

Overview
    The Amazing Spider-Man video game, created by Beenox studios and Activision, is set to take place directly after the events from "The Amazing Spider-Man" film. It will tie into the movie as a direct sequel to events that occur that sees Spider-Man in Manhattan watching over the apartment of his friend, Stan (Lee). This video-game movie adaptation comes packed with it's own original story and hours of fun web-slinging as you take on several classic villains from the comics.

Gameplay
    Right from the start, you can easily get the hang of flying through the city with your web-shooters. With the addition of the new Web-Rush ability, you can instantly target and zoom to different points and locations with the simple press of . These tactics will come in handy on some of the larger battles you will take part in during the game, being reminiscent to Shadow of the Colossus where you target certain weak points as you progress slowly to taking down the enemy.

The Amazing Spider-Man game is mostly free roam and allows you the choice of going on through with a mission or just spending time collecting items such as comics as you web-sling through the city. Also, you have the option to replay any past areas of the game or chapters to collect missable items and replay for fun. You're capable of buying and upgrading Spider-Man's different abilities to upgrade his moves and unlock new powers. You are given the choice, in most cases, of how you want to play through the game. This includes sneaking and using stealth take-downs to one-shot and eliminate your foes or jump in fists flying for intense combat and utilizing the environments to your advantage.

The combat system of the game was designed similar to that of the other Free-flow combat titles developed by Rocksteady, developer of the recent Batman video game titles. You will immediately notice during your fights with normal thugs and grunt enemies how similar the combat system is. You will throw punches with and dodge using button, easily noted by the white/red "spider-sense" icons that appear onscreen just before an enemy hits you. Dodging these attacks will cause an automatic combo and you can flow this directly into another combo towards the rest of your enemies. Pressing allows control over your Web-Shooters for more variation in your attacks and combos, but is also sometimes used to break the guard of enemies you'll encounter. You can tell a difference between Spider-Man's combat compared to Batman's however, in that his punches and moves are much more fluid and quicker, yet not as deep or powerful looking.

Also, the web-slinging controls great and feels very natural and fluid leaping and moving through the city. The player is capable of zooming through streets and over buildings, web-slinging from building to building and even running up buildings at times, all with the ease of pressing/holding . Direction is controlled with the Left Analog Stick and you have free reign over where Spidey goes. Also, he will mostly automatically go around or over buildings if need be. You are capable of easily using the Web-Rush ability with the press of mentioned previously in the review. This allows you to see in slow motion, view different points of contact from enemies, and interact in the environment to quickly move automatically to and from. This ability will also work as a sort of guide for Spider-Man as you play the game, being able to see highlighted areas in the environment such as vents, openings, etc. Tapping the button will automatically go to the closest area that is interact-able in front of Spider-Man.

Web-slinging feels completely natural and fluid in the game as you traverse Manhattan.

Singleplayer
    The game opens with Gwen and Peter sneaking around the labs of Oscorp to check out some experimentation and other projects of Oscorp. The work in question are cross-species, which are genetically altered humans and animals whose DNA has been mixed together to create a new being. Unfortunately, these cross species start to react to Peter's presence here and begin to act violently resulting in their escape. The lab becomes under lock-down but the cross-species escape into the city, incidentally infecting numerous civilians. Also, Alistair Smythe activates some of his robot droids programmed to kill cross-species and lets them loose on the city as well to hunt down the creatures, causing great harm so Spider-Man must help to protect the citizens by stopping both the machines and cross-species. After the beginning events of the game, Gwen is infected from a bite obtained from the cross-species Vermin and Spider-Man must save her and the rest of the scientists by freeing Dr. Conners from Beloit Mental Hospital. The goal is to create an antidote and save the city. You will face off against several prime faces from the original comics

The story mode is very straightforward, but you can explore the city and complete the missions/chapters as they become available to you in your own time since the game is a free-roaming sandbox adventure. One big drawback from this is that if you play through the story quickly, you will complete all 12 main chapters of the game and be finished very quickly. There is a decent amount of replay value for trophies and attempting to find all of the collectibles scatteredthroughout Manhattan. Collecting certain items and obtaining photos taken in select locations will unlock in-game comic books to read dealing with numerous characters from the game and some concept art work.

You will encounter numerous and intense boss fights with some of Spider-Man's more iconic villains.

Technical
    Graphically, Spider-Man looks really nice at first glance. The streets and city are detailed amazingly, as is Spider-Man himself and the villains he will face. If you look closely however, some small details are kinda blurry and facial animations aren't that great. Nothing is exceptionally bad, only a few parts in the game seem rushed during the in-game cutscenes where it could have shined more.

Everything from the combat to web-slinging feels very fluid and responsive during gameplay as does the movements of the enemies, though somewhat scripted and readable. There aren't any really known glitches to worry about, though once I managed to fall through the floor... getting stuck in perpetual darkness under the world. Pressed :pause: button and selected restart from checkpoint. Luckily it restarted me just to the point I was at at a cutscene and I was no longer stuck or infinitely falling. Never managed to recreate this or found that is was a widely occuring problem. The framerate stays steady and fluid at all times, even when web-slinging around the city nonstop.

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEH!!!

Closing Thoughts

The Amazing Spider-Man was a definite buy and a very fun experience for me. Enjoyed most every moment of it. Spent several hours just web-slinging through Manhattan collecting comics and admiring the detail of the game. Combat is amazing too and definitely shines this game a bit being similar to that top rated Arkham City Batman style. Very little to qualm about with the game, except that the actors from the movies didn't do any of the voices, however i feel they did a stellar job with the chosen voice actors.

Gameplay: 9/10
    The combat system works very well and the fluid controls of the web-slinging definitely push this game. Everything works great, but there is nothing really innovative except the Web-Rush mode that can make things a bit too easy at times. This is a very fun title, but lacks a variety of useful skills.

Singleplayer: 8.5/10
    It contains an amazing storyline and overall experience, however it's a tad short if you rush through it and don't care about the collecting. There are tons of collectibles in the game, but this doesn't do much to extend the experience other than some bonus unlockables. This game does a a good take on some of the classic villains of Spider-Man and is quite an adventure.

Technical: 8/10
    Graphically, this Spider-Man title is nicely polished in most areas, though held back slightly during in-game cutscenes. Gives you that feeling they could of done more and leaves a bit to be desired as it does nothing overly outstanding or groundbreaking. The controls are very responsive and as long as you're airborne or crawling, they work great. Ground controls are bit patchy and the same goes for the camera. Despite these issues, there are no major glitches or frame-rate problems and the game runs great.

Overall: 8.5/10
    The Amazing Spider-Man video game has a bit to improve on, but is nonetheless a great, nearly epic video game work, with some great features. One of the better Spider-Man titles out there to date in my opinion, and is reminiscent of the older games. It is a very fun game to play and comes with little baggage in the form of glitches or problems. The storyline is on par with that of the feature film released July 3, 2012 and follows a similar path.
    Last edited by NeroRadec707; 07-20-2012 at 09:49 PM.

HOSTED BY GREAT DAZE TAZER!!!!! COME JOIN THE MAYHEM!!!

Guide Bar Created by Ds_luckay

PRO Member

Good start with your first review Nero, after watching the film it put me in the mood to play a spiderman game, so I reckon I'll give this one a rent!

Resident PHD

Great review Nero (am watching the movie tomorrow and then will start playing the game).

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

Change is mediocre

Well done first review, Nero It seems this one might be good I was always looking for a free-roam Spider-man game. I have yet to see the movie though, and I doubt I will.

Harvester of Souls

Playing the game will definitely tell you what happens int he movie. Not a completely smart idea, but least the few people that wanted to get the game early, could like myelf. Didn't ruin the movie for me, as I can live with spoilers though. Few things after the movie come up with the game, but still doesn't do anything to make or break the movie experience OR the next movie it may do for those wondering.

*insert Latin phrase*

So true Nero, so true. I agree with your score entirely. Nice first review.

Outdated Plat-bar by ThunderStick, sig by DaRe, avatar by ROBO3AG13
    Click the sig and be whisked away to my checklist (now with updates!)! Or click here to visit my YouTube channel! Vote on my Playstation Grandmasterpiece HERE!

Trophy Guide Grand Master

Nice review nero....I would have scored it a touch lower...maybe a 7.5-8, for some things that annoyed me but thats just the Hoff's own second opinion...

Nice to see some Reviews on new games going up

PRO Member

Review team now, huh

Nice one buddy keep them coming
    Sig by Alison//Avatar by kid420247//PPS BAR by RaveNScythE18

Kid, not loser

Great first official review there Nero. I liked how you extended it much more from your original. Good to see that you reviewed it, especially after writing such a good guide for it as well. Congrats to yah for making RT and your first review. Keep 'em coming.

Thanks to Bladia for the amazing Sig and Avy.

Aussie Furry, Bitch

In a multiverses of different bodies and souls

Well done for your first review man! I can see many great things coming for ya.

*insert Latin phrase*

One thing I thought you'd point out is the load-in. I'd drop an infected civilian off at a medical area with no tents or anything around. Then it'd just pop up. Got annoying after the fourth time. Still a great review.

Outdated Plat-bar by ThunderStick, sig by DaRe, avatar by ROBO3AG13
    Click the sig and be whisked away to my checklist (now with updates!)! Or click here to visit my YouTube channel! Vote on my Playstation Grandmasterpiece HERE!

Harvester of Souls

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalman123 View Post
    One thing I thought you'd point out is the load-in. I'd drop an infected civilian off at a medical area with no tents or anything around. Then it'd just pop up. Got annoying after the fourth time. Still a great review.
    I never really had issues with that. So couldn't say anything, but least you noted it here so everyone that reads through the comments may see it. Thanks Davey for your bit there on the score . Helps as well.

Also, the review was written by me, but definitely lots of help came from the rest of the Review Team in touching it up and making me notice minor things that could be changed. Read over it again before posting and corrected a good bit myself so yeah. Hopefully will continue pumping out this high quality review. . Feel free to drop me a line anytime to review something for you guys. I'll definitely try if I can. I'll be as unbiased as possible and will be as honest as I can on every level.

Saints Row IV

Youre first review is great Nero! I thought this game was shit but i think i will give it a try
    Epic avatar by PixieOfDarkness!
    Epic signature by spanishstoat

Click on my Signature to check my website

Lvl 2 - Bronze

To me the combat is ok he does cool moves here and there but its not even close to being as smooth as batman so i got to disagree

Harvester of Souls

And that's why it's all opinions. . Everyone will think differently of it. That was what I felt when I played it compared to when I have played and watched Batman. Soooo definitely sticking to that. In this game anyways, you have a ton more coming at you more often rather than just a few thugs primarily.

Galaxy beauty pirate

A really good first review Nero.
    Looking forward to your next review.
    Sig by Ramon

CMN
    PS4 - Christmas 2014

This is a good review, will rent it when finished with NCAA13. I will not see the movie because if I see emma stone with blond hair i will vomit.

Sig and Avatar from one of the Elite, Dare

PRO-M Thanks 2 NeroRadec!

Thank you for the review!

Signature by DaRe_xLw

Harvester of Souls

Thanks guys. Glad it helps. .

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I was on the fence but this may of just sold it, thanks for the review dude.