Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - The Teeth of Naros DLC Review

This is a discussion on Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - The Teeth of Naros DLC Review within the Game Reviews forum, part of the Trophy Guides, Reviews & Articles; Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - The Teeth of Naros DLC Review by NeroRadec707 Basic Information Developers : 38 Studios and ...

Harvester of Souls

by NeroRadec707

Basic Information
    Developers: 38 Studios and Big Huge Games
    Publisher: 38 Studios and Electronic Arts
    Genre: Action RPG
    World Release Date: April 17, 2012
    Trophies: Total: 6 / 1 / 0 / 5
    Release Price: $10.00 USD

Overview
    The Teeth of Naros is the latest DLC addition to Kingdoms of Amalur. You can access it immediately without any level requirements, unlike the previous DLC pack. Set to take place in an area known as the Naros and includes the floating city of the Kollossae named Idylla. Upon starting your adventure here, you're thrown into the turmoil of their civilization.

Gameplay
    Starting out this DLC, you will notice that it plays identical to the rest of Kingdoms of Amalur. Nothing major changes with this new addition, but it does add in a few things to enjoy. You will have more loot to plunder and special armor and weapons to acquire throughout and a new power element to use with your new loot. As with the previous DLC title, there are a few new enemies and creatures brought into the world of Amalur. Also, you will notice that this specific DLC will contain a similar "special theme" just like the pirates of Dead Kel, but this go around we will have a more Greek oriented theme around us. It fits and looks amazing in the land of Amalur, but isn't as noteworthy as the pirate island DLC you may have played previously.

Leader of Idylla, one of the Kollosae people.

In the Legend of Dead Kel DLC, we got a new enemy called scavs, but with this new addition we have "chocobo-esque" creatures known as pteryx. These are monster bird enemies that use storm magic as well as jump around and try to peck you to death. Also included is the new Primal Magic, which is the only big change to the gameplay. It uses raw power in your spells so you deal a greater amount of damage to all enemies affected from your spells and attributes. As you play through, you will discover new loot and gear that will be affected by your level when you start questing in the new regions.

What the eff kind of chocobo are you? I don't know if I'm putting my money on you in the Golden Saucer.

Singleplayer
    You begin the story of the Teeth of Naros DLC at an early point in the realm of Amalur, starting a sidequest leading through the mountains and into a new hidden region. You will encounter a new race of beings known as the Kollosae, who are a friendly and advanced civilization. You are basically led through your journeys into a city known as Idylla. As you play the story, you will see many Greek references that play a prime part of the story of the Teeth of Naros DLC.

Welcome to the entrance of Mount Olympus. Oh wait, wrong game.

For the majority of the game, you are assisting these Kollosae in their journey to appease their gods and save the civilization, but as you continue forward things will begin to unravel and your impact will be noticeable. Not much really stands out to mention from the story and it will be finished really quickly. It's a good bit extra if you really love Kingdoms of Amalur, but may not be worth it for those that have already completed everything else to do in the game. It will come down to being a trophy grind to most people, however, that doesn't change that there is a decent story to play and it is still just as fun as the core game and previous DLC title.

Technical
    First off, the graphics remain unchanged from the core game so expect that similar Fable-Esque feel there. Also the soundtrack is on par with the setting and the realm of Kingdoms of Amalur in this DLC and is fantastically orchestrated. The basic controls will all function the same and feel just as fluid as before, with no new features added. Even with the decent amount that the development team added into Kingdoms of Amalur, the DLC has no extra glitches or bugs to worry about or that will take away from your experience.

Trophies
    Each of the trophies in this DLC are very straightforward to achieve. You will obtain a few simply from playing the story, while some are action specific, such as dropping off a hole at a certain point. There isn't anything wrong with the small trophy list, but nothing majorly sticks out to achieve or make it apart from other trophies. It's a easy list, with minimal missable trophies for a quick playthrough.

Closing Thoughts
    It's definitely a decent DLC to buy if you really want more to experience with your Kingdoms of Amalur game, however it will be short lived if you have already completed the rest of the core game and can be completed in one sitting. It is nice to have the loot and gear you acquire throughout the remainder of the story, but with the late release, most players will have completed everything already. It's definitely a bit more noteworthy for someone who has acquired Kingdoms of Amalur and the DLC at the start. The trophies are nice to try and get, but won't really prolong your game much. Nothing really changes except for a few basic things and having more quests, so you won't notice any serious technical issues from installing this DLC.

Gameplay: 8/10
    Good solid gameplay, but remains unchanged from core title. New loot and enemies to face and discover, but nothing really new to experience for those that have had their fill.

Singleplayer: 6.5/10
    Decent story in this DLC, but nothing that stands out exceptionally when compared to the rest of the Kingdoms of Amalur world. Very short, however.

Technical: 8/10
    Game runs and plays fine, with no new issues or problems from the core title. Graphics look and controls operate the same as well.

Overall: 7/10
    Last edited by NeroRadec707; 09-16-2012 at 11:13 PM.

HOSTED BY GREAT DAZE TAZER!!!!! COME JOIN THE MAYHEM!!!

Guide Bar Created by Ds_luckay

Kiwi Defender

Cool review, Nero. Would probably buy this if I had the cash and the game .

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Lvl 5 - Silver

I just recently picked the game up at a discount price( also because nephew recently visited & he gave me his 360 copy & I had a chance to play more than the demo). But i enjoyed it enough to get the PS3 version also, & i do want to get the dlc , but i'll wait to see if there may be a bundle price soon for both dlc's, theres too many games coming out while still playing this. Your wording on the review seems fine Nero, bummer deal its a short dlc, but i wont be playing it for awhile.

Harvester of Souls

Thanks I_Nero_I. . I've just had alot going on so the review kept getting delayed and such. I feel good that I got all the points across of it. DLC reviews are just tougher to write with less content and especially if it's really similar to the core game as this case.

As for a bundle package, I've heard nothing on one, but I wouldn't be surprised come end of the year or something like that. The company isn't any longer around so they may do it to get some final sales however.

Kid, not loser

Great review man. Good to see the dlc is at least decent. I'm still on the fence about getting the game thouugh, especially since I have Dragons Dogma and haven't touched it yet. Maybe someday I'll pick it all up at a discounted price.

Thanks to Bladia for the amazing Sig and Avy.

Harvester of Souls

I'd say play through Dragons' Dogma first. Then start with this. Get the DLC with the game though on release as this one won't be worth tha tmuch later on. But nice to do a bit as you play through the game.

Legend of Dead Kel you have to wait on anyways in the story so it works for whenever you're playing through, least how I viewed it. Thanks guys.

Hunter-Scholar-Gentleman

First off great review. I would give it a slightly higher mark because it did some things I have seen very few DLCs or games for that matter do well, and that is primarily about the environment design and its sense of verticality. You start off on a land like any other in KoA but when you take to the city in the sky and then descend in that city's sewer system, I only felt compelled to commend the game design for making me feel so close to falling, while still being very much on solid ground. The sewer system's angles, slants and overall mini-labyrinthian structures felt me compelled to explore all the while trying to avoid ledges and falling into the abyss. It was a tad short for the price of the DLC and Legend of Dead Kel had a bit more charisma with the pirate theme, I think.

The Road So Far And The Road Ahead
    `Best Trophy Checklist (2014)
    `Checklist Spotlight #2 Winner (2014)
    `2nd place Trophy Checklist (2013)

Currently Playing
    `Batman: Arkham Knight [95%]
    `AC: Syndicate [6%]
    `Helldivers [26%]

Signature & Avatar

`courtesy of DaRe_xLw

Harvester of Souls

I can see your point there.. but for me the entire sewer area, that I forgot to touch on when I was writing the review, felt very boring and a huge grind. I just went there when I had to for the story and for the one trophy. I hated it and took away from the feel of KoA for me. I loved Idylla though and the rest of the environment. I only knocked it down so much cause it was so short and didn't keep me as into it as KoA did or the Dead Kel DLC. I still enjoyed it but wanted a fair overall score to get the points across of it.

Bob 'n' Becca

Been playing the dlc and I enjoy it. One thing I've noticed, and this applies to the main game as well, but I don't actually care for the story. I skip all of the dialogue and I've never done that before. I just like to get my mission and killkillkill. Also as far as the "this can be finished in one sitting" I call bollocks. I've put a bunch of hours into this dlc alone and I'm not finished. Close to being so but not quite there.

Thanks to Thunder for the platbar!!!

Harvester of Souls

I completed it in about 5 1/2 hours. Pretty sure it's possible lol. That includes doing other stuff and it sitting and doing trophy guide at same time haha.