Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Review

This is a discussion on Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Review within the Game Reviews forum, part of the Trophy Guides, Reviews & Articles; Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon: Future Soldier by Kid_Loser Basic Information: Developer: Ubisoft Paris, Ubisoft Red Storm, Ubisoft Romania Publisher: Ubisoft ...

Kid, not loser

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Review

Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon: Future Soldier
    by Kid_Loser

Basic Information:
    Developer: Ubisoft Paris, Ubisoft Red Storm, Ubisoft Romania
    Publisher: Ubisoft
    North American Release Date: May 22nd, 2012
    European Release Date: May 25th, 2012
    Trophies: Total: 53/ 1/ 2/ 7/ 43

Overview
    Ghost Recon returns in its fifth installment of the series with Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon: Future Soldier. Ghost Recon is a tactical shooter with the most futuristic technology the series has brought forth yet. So does the new Ghost Recon live up to its predecessors?

Gameplay
    As with any game, the first thing that will pop in to your mind when playing GR:FS is the controls. They are quite as comfortable as can be for the game, with minor discomforts. You will find them similar to most shooters on the PS3, with a little work around to match with the games mechanics. You get the feeling of playing a game like all other top-tier shooters out on the market. This may sound great, but really doesn’t set itself apart from all others. You will, however, get used to the control scheme and feel as though they're as comfortable as they can be.

GR:FS is a third-person shooter, with a camera similar to most TPS’s you will play. The game makes it easy for you to control where you are looking and makes great improvisation on where the camera should be when moving into cover. With a click of the button you will also be able to switch shoulder views, from left to right and vice-versa, a feature that should be in most other TPS games. A major negative with the camera system, is when you’re in cover and you are being suppressed by enemy fire. When being suppressed, the camera automatically zooms in on your player and makes it feel as though you are more so in the action and perhaps the realism of actually being there. The problem is this makes it so you’re unable to aim, shoot and look over the cover you are behind. This is a cool little feature when you first experience it, but once it happens to you quite often (because it will) it becomes more of an annoyance and you see that there really is no need of it. This feature is in all modes, the singlplayer, multiplayer, and co-op. This becomes even more of an annoyance when playing online, as people will continue to fire at you without giving you a break, making it so that you’re unable to see, or do anything in this situation.

As the game title suggests, this should be a game that shows the future of military. This may be so, but you do not feel as though it really is too much of a futuristic game at all compared to others. The game has many similarities that have been done before in modern shooter games. You will get just about all weaponry that is in all other games. You will also use gadgets that are in other games as well, like the UAV Drone. You can mark enemies by using the Drone, using a nade that shows enemy locations, and being able to mark enemies while on foot similar to Battlefield 3. You will also be able to use active camouflage to use the stealthy feature of the game. It is a great feature, and works very well, but it has many limitations in the game that you feel like they might as well have not added at all. For instance the active camouflage works only from a distance (you can’t be twenty feet in front of enemy or they will notice you) and does not work if moving too fast. These limitations seem like they are small and understandable to have, but if you were to take it away you can be just as stealthy by moving slowly and keeping distance from the enemy and end up with the same result.

"I'm gonna make this guy piss his pants."

One feature in the game that stands out beyond the rest is Gunsmith. The Gunsmith allows you to edit nearly every part of the weapon you want, inside and out. With this feature you are able to make over 20 million different gun combinations. This also makes progression through the sinlgeplayer and multiplayer worthwhile, so that you may unlock more weapons and accessories to make your weaponry the best it can be. The only drawback to this system is that the accessories are limited to where you will always pick the desired gun combination you made with your previous weapon. You also feel like there is only one great weapon that fits you the best, even after testing many other guns out, making the 20 million combinations seem limited.

Singleplayer
    GR:FS is a tactical shooter, and you can really see why you need to use tactics and strategy to get through it. Sure you can get play most of the game in any way you want, either going out gun blazing or be as stealthy as can be. However, the game is at its best when you use tactics and stealth, and you can see that that’s where the developers really put their focus at.

"Johnny! I told you not to go over there."

You get 3 other A.I. teammates or you can have up to 3 other friends to play with you as well, making it even more fun to play. Controlling your A.I. teammates was really as simple as it could be. They listened to everything you said and did, followed you wherever you went, and got into perfect positions when needed to. Playing co-op with friends was simple to do as well, as even if you were not able to communicate using a mic, they made it so you could coordinate where to go and how to mark enemies and shoot them at the right timing, easy.

The story is a fairly forgettable one that is unoriginal and not so awe-inspiring. You can really just sum it all up by saying, ‘Go there, rescue him, kill him/them, done’, as most military shooters are at their simplest. The characters are just as forgettable as the story is, as you will hear them bicker and make little jokes about each other here and there but see no other detail on their background or history. You can see they all have a friendship of being squad mates, but that really is it.

The entire campaign can be beaten between 6-9 hours depending on difficulty and if you have people helping you. It is just a bit longer than your average shooter but it is also well paced with its many different environments and sections of needed stealth or heavy gun fire. Having spilt-screen or up to 4 player co-op online makes the replay ability for this game very high. They also added more guns for you to unlock by completing certain tasks and a scoring system for you to beat your previous run through of the missions.

Multiplayer

The multiplayer portion of GR:FS is where the game really does shine, but not so bright. There are only 4 game modes for you to play, Conflict, Decoy, Siege and Saboteur. Yet, with just 4 game modes you feel as though these 4 are what truly belong in the game. The biggest problem with only having these game modes though is these modes require teamwork, and not everyone will work together. You will see many people running and gunning in the game as if they just got off of playing COD. The singleplayer portion of the game is where it allowed you to play the game however you wanted. For multiplayer, it is almost required for you to move slowly, use cover, and be a good teammate, or you will not get far. That is why it would have been nicer for them to add a TDM game mode, for the people that want to just kill and not work together with you. I can’t tell you how many times I played a match where I was capturing something and a guy runs by me instead of staying to protect me, so that he would get points for himself and cause my death and a loss for our team.

There are 3 classes you get a choice to play as with different weapons than each other. Leveling up a character will allow you every once in awhile to choose 1 of 2 different weapons or accessories to use. Once you level up a character all the way, you unlock another version of that character at level 0, so you can level him up and choose the opposite weapons you chose before. This adds much more reason to continue playing the game by making you interested in unlocking and using all weapons. The Gunsmith is also in multiplayer and becomes even more important here. By leveling up you need to make the best decision on what to add to your weapon to make it better than the enemies, and will cause you to put much time in experimenting with all the guns. It really becomes fun to know what each accessory does and what gun it is best fitted for.

There is another co-op mode called Guerilla mode, which allows you to play with up to 4 friends online or split-screen. In this mode you have to try to pass 50 waves of enemies while you protect a base. Guerilla mode is quite a lot of fun and it has a good progression of difficulty through the 50 waves on each level even on the easier difficulties. This mode doesn’t really add too much to the overall game compared to its competitive multiplayer and singleplayer components, but still offers a fun co-op mode to play with friends.

In Guerrilla mode, you get streak bonuses for every wave you do not die in to help you out in the long run.

Technical
    First thing you will notice about GR:FS is the graphics. The animations of the environments and character models are gritty and uninspired. You will see a lot of gray and brown through most of the areas you play. All other colors seen within the game seem dull. The game looks like a beginning generation game and gets even worse once you play the multiplayer portion. The snow environments are the best you will see in the game, and even that is not much to look at.

The sound effects on each weapon are very distinctive and you can tell which weapon is which once you fire with it, just by the sound. The sound effects can be off every so often, but that it something not easily noticeable. Overall the sound is well implemented and shouldn’t cause any problems or distractions during gameplay.

Trophies
    The trophies in the game are very diverse across all game modes. The singleplayer trophies should be no problem to obtain and are even easier when playing co-op. In Guerilla mode the trophies are really basic and you could even get them by playing the mode a few times over. The competitive multiplayer portion of the game is where the grinding and perhaps most frustration will come. Most trophies could come with natural play, but there are a few trophies you really need to focus on obtaining that will give you a headache. There is a set of trophies called the domination trophies and these require you to hook up with 3 other people, or 7 other people to make it easier for you. The problem is though, finding 3 or 7 people is extremely difficult, and having to work with and manage them is even more infuriating, but sometimes, maybe the only way. Another trophy requires you to hook up with one person to continue to return challenges to one another over 5 times, and is the most frustrating to accomplish for there is a time limit, and it only gets harder and harder. The platinum for GR:FS may not be too difficult to get, but requires time, patience and other people as well. Going for this platinum caused me headaches and many disappointments. Good luck if you try achieving Platinum.

Closing Thoughts

Ghost Recon has made its return with a little bang that has a long lasting effect. You can play the game over and over with minor issues, but it is those issues that are too difficult to ignore. GR:FS really is a good game, and I recommend all shooter fans to play it. It is just that there are quite a bit of annoyances that hold it off from being great. GR:FS really has a lot to offer that most games do not and is definitely worth its price tag for its replay ability and amount of content. I know I will be playing it a long time after and perhaps get its future DLC’s as well. Give it a rent at first, but know that there is no harm in taking a risk with this one.

Gameplay: 8/10
    The game is a solid tactical shooter with a lot of thought put into it. There are minor inconveniences here and there, but you are still able to get past them.

Singleplayer: 8.5/10
    The campaign is a fun experience only brought down because of its unoriginal story and graphics presentation. Other than that it is highly relpayable and is a little longer than most shooters out today.

Multiplayer: 8.5/10
    With an additional co-op mode and much to unlock and experiment with online, you could be playing this for months and still be hooked.

Technical: 6.5/10
    The games graphics really set the tone of the game as gritty and dull. The game only has its sound effects to help improve its technical side.

Overall: 7.5/10
    Last edited by Curse; 08-05-2012 at 09:38 AM.

PRO Member

Good start to your time with the RT, Kid.

Ive played the game a little myself but it ended up just being stuck in my backlog of games to play, loved the weapon customization though

Change is mediocre

Great start on your RT journey Kid

My friend said this game was great so I have been meaning to check it out

Harvester of Souls

Nice review my friend . happy to see your first official one and part of the team .

HOSTED BY GREAT DAZE TAZER!!!!! COME JOIN THE MAYHEM!!!

Guide Bar Created by Ds_luckay

дурак

After playing the Beta, I felt like I was the only one who thought the animation looked kind of crappy. Good to know others feel the same way. I also am glad to see the weapon customization is so vast, games need more of that.

And it should be no surprise about the no teamwork thing, that's just how gamers are these days. Which is unfortunate, because Co-op in games have a lot of potential, and it's squandered on being against others competitively. Rant over.

Great review, Kid. I'll probably wait for the game to lower in price before picking it up.

Blank Friend Requests will be ignored and/or blocked
    My Checklist | My Trading Thread | My Youtube Channel
    "The oldest and strongest of emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown"

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Hmmm....well.....without saying to much and starting an all out flame war I'll just say that I don't agree with this score.

Crocodile Hunter

Great review bro, its well written and thought out, however i think the game is crap and returned it the same day

Sig by Apokolypz

PRO-M Thanks 2 NeroRadec!

Thank you for the review! Really had some hopes for this game over the years of development, so far from all the reviews everywhere, it's a decent game & somewhat a let down.. so I'll wait for the price drops.

Signature by DaRe_xLw

Kid, not loser

Quote Originally Posted by Curse View Post
    Good start to your time with the RT, Kid.

Ive played the game a little myself but it ended up just being stuck in my backlog of games to play, loved the weapon customization though
    Thanks man. You should really give it another go, it definitely is worth playing a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by dsluckay View Post
    Great start on your RT journey Kid

My friend said this game was great so I have been meaning to check it out
    You definitely should at least check it out man. Thanks too

Quote Originally Posted by NeroRadec707 View Post
    Nice review my friend . happy to see your first official one and part of the team .

Thanks man. Glad to be apart of it all now

Quote Originally Posted by Vulgar View Post
    After playing the Beta, I felt like I was the only one who thought the animation looked kind of crappy. Good to know others feel the same way. I also am glad to see the weapon customization is so vast, games need more of that.

And it should be no surprise about the no teamwork thing, that's just how gamers are these days. Which is unfortunate, because Co-op in games have a lot of potential, and it's squandered on being against others competitively. Rant over.

Great review, Kid. I'll probably wait for the game to lower in price before picking it up.

Thanks bro. Yeah you should definitely give it a go sometime, but you should probably wait for it. It is worth picking up now, but you'd be much more satisfied waiting for a price drop.

Quote Originally Posted by NewYorican2006 View Post
    Hmmm....well.....without saying to much and starting an all out flame war I'll just say that I don't agree with this score.
    That's no problem man, were all entitled to our opinions. I almost gave it an 8, I just didn't feel it quite deserved it amongst other games.

Quote Originally Posted by Ac3dUd3- View Post
    Great review bro, its well written and thought out, however i think the game is crap and returned it the same day
    Thanks man. Yeah I've heard that a few times from others. I have also heard others love it too. A lot of the old SOCOM fans really like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotically-Epic View Post
    Thank you for the review! Really had some hopes for this game over the years of development, so far from all the reviews everywhere, it's a decent game & somewhat a let down.. so I'll wait for the price drops.
    Thank you for taking your time to read it Yeah definitely wait for it to come down, but be sure to give it a chance.

Thanks to Bladia for the amazing Sig and Avy.