Ratchet and Clank 2 Review

This is a discussion on Ratchet and Clank 2 Review within the Game Reviews forum, part of the Trophy Guides, Reviews & Articles; Ratchet and Clank 2 Review by Kerwan_Ratchet Basic Information: Developer: Insomniac Games Publisher: Sony North American Release Date: August 28, ...

PRO Member

In a multiverses of different bodies and souls

by Kerwan_Ratchet

Basic Information:
    Developer: Insomniac Games
    Publisher: Sony
    North American Release Date: August 28, 2012
    European Release Date: June 29, 2012
    Trophies: 1 , 5 , 9 , 20

Overview
    After saving the universe from the evil Drek, Ratchet and Clank don’t really have much to do, and believe it’s time for a holiday. Do they get one? Not in this world you don’t. They are summoned by the eccentric Mr. Fizzwidget to hunt down a biological experiment for Megacorp...but things don’t go as planned.

Gameplay
    As with almost every other Ratchet game, this is the strongest point here. Tighter controls, extra weapons, more bolts, upgrades, and more allow you to pimp your arsenal to the max. And of course these all cost money, or bolts, to our furry friend and his robotic side kick. So start collecting and build up a collection and destroy anything that moves.

Of course, the entire game isn’t like this. In some instances you’ll come across fairly difficult puzzles that require you to think things through. One particular puzzle is built into a moon, and requires you to traverse the entire surface in order to continue. You’ll need to acquire certain gadgets and items before you can progress in some instances. Variety is the spice of life here; one moment you’ll be smashing every crate you see, the next you’ll be raining bullets of fire on your enemies, before grinding on a rail system over the city and hacking security systems, and then defeating a thug in a space ship who’s trying to kill you. The game never asks you to do anything for too long – with the exception of the moments where you must destroys waves of ships in space to continue. These moments are awkward to control, and beyond irritating, especially when you’ve died so many times already since in these moments the game decides to ramp up the difficultly level.

Boom, boom, boom.

Overall the gameplay is a huge improvement from that of its predecessor, and gives you many more options and weapons, allowing you to go on a destruction rampage while neatly solving some puzzles and hacking some systems along the way. And with tighter controls added into the mix, how can you go wrong here?

Singleplayer
    Again, the story isn’t the main focus on Locked and Loaded. Rather it’s about testing out new and exciting gadgets, exploring new planets and worlds, and solving a decent amount of puzzles. Not to say that the story isn’t given any focus, however. It provides plenty of twists and turns, albeit less than in the previous game, as Ratchet and Clank seem to have smoothed out their relationship. Rather the unexpected comes from other characters, most which are previously unseen in the previous game. One of them is Mister Fizzwidget, the overexcited and disturbingly familiar founder of Megacorp, who sends the dynamic duo on a quest to retrieve a biological experiment. As you might have expected, things don’t really go as planned, and you’ll discover a number of unexpected turns that I probably shouldn’t spoil for you. Sadly though, the scope of the story is a lot smaller and doesn’t have as much impact as the last game, but this shouldn’t cloud your judgement, as the game provides plenty a reason to reach the end.

The story serves its purpose well, but there are plenty of other things to compel you to continue through the game; as such entire planets that have been constructed around a puzzle, sneaky little platinum bolts to collect, arena games to be won, and more. There’s a lot more to do in R&C 2 than in the first game, but the difficultly has been toned down slightly, making some of these levels seem to be a breeze in comparison. However more bolts, extra guns, and additional enemies create even more fun filled chaos.

Lush environments are just waiting to be explored.

There isn’t really much to be said about the single player itself; other than you’ll get exactly what you deserve out of a Ratchet game, including witty humour, sexual innuendos, solid voice acting and an entertaining story. You get less of it than you did with the previous game, but other elements of the single player do indeed make up for it.

Technical
    There’s very little to be said here. Even on the PS2 the visuals were exactly the same as the previous game, so it’s only reasonable that the same should apply to the PS3 releases. Thankfully, a multitude of bugs and glitches have been cleaned up, making the game a lot more fun and less frustrating to play.
    This time around James Around Taylor provides the voice for our furry alien friend, and thankfully his performance helps add even more flavour into the audio section. Other than that, no noticeable sound effects or audio improvements have been made.

Trophies
    Harder than the previous title, and will require you to literally do everything in the game, including all the skill points, which as anyone who’s played the original releases will tell you, are a pain in the backside to complete. Saying that, this platinum will be fun to earn, and at the very heart of it isn’t that what’s most important?

Closing Thoughts
    Ratchet and Clank: Locked and Loaded might not have the same amazing story that the first one did, but a massive leap of faith has been taken in the gameplay, and thus should be rewarded with your purchase and praise.

Gameplay: 9/10

Singleplayer: 6/10

Technical: 8/10

Overall: 8.5/10
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Nagflar; 08-10-2012 at 08:13 PM.

Kid, not loser

Short and sweet

Great review man. This is the only R&C I haven't played besides the PSP ones. Hopefully I will play this come the 28th.

Thanks to Bladia for the amazing Sig and Avy.

Resident PHD

Still no mention of Qwark 0/10

I bet if Nag reviewed these he would mention Qwark

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

#cutformesa

Quote Originally Posted by dr_mayus View Post
    still no mention of qwark 0/10

i bet if nag reviewed these he would mention qwark

Toggle Spoiler

- PS3T OG -
    All Hail The Eyepat
    "If I find out that LeeMcD slags my good name off to anyone else I will personally track him down and teach the little puff a lesson." - LEE200

PRO Member

Of course he would.

Kiwi Defender

He's not worth my time, so he wouldn't get a mention from me .

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    He's not worth my time, so he wouldn't get a mention from me .
    You seem to mention me a lot though.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

excellent review! still cant wait for the HD collection this month!
    i dont mean to be nerdy here but the game is called "Going Commando" rotflmao unless if its called "Locked and Loaded" somewhere else, but oh well who cares? still a great game!

Crocodile Hunter

Great review man, The best one in the trilogy IMO

Sig by Apokolypz

Change is mediocre

Quote Originally Posted by Ac3dUd3- View Post
    Great review man, The best one in the trilogy IMO
    The best one you say? Someone agrees with me

This was and remains to be one of my favorite games of all time. Nice review Kerwan

Angel of Death

Being my first PS2 game ever, for nostalgic reasons I would give it a 10, but if I hadn't, this review would be spot on, which it basically is. Great review.

#cutformesa

I really think it should have been mentioned that all the cutscenes are in 4:3 with large black bands on either side unlike the rest of the game. That was a big surprise for me when I was playing it and I spent a while trying to find a fix that wasn't there.

- PS3T OG -
    All Hail The Eyepat
    "If I find out that LeeMcD slags my good name off to anyone else I will personally track him down and teach the little puff a lesson." - LEE200

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shelyx View Post
    I really think it should have been mentioned that all the cutscenes are in 4:3 with large black bands on either side unlike the rest of the game. That was a big surprise for me when I was playing it and I spent a while trying to find a fix that wasn't there.
    Hmm...true. I forgot about that....

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by dsluckay View Post
    The best one you say? Someone agrees with me

This was and remains to be one of my favorite games of all time. Nice review Kerwan
    The soundtrack is what made the game. Nothing else honestly.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Shelyx View Post
    They are? Well that sucks. Are the cutscenes in their original format too, like the God of War Collection, or have been HD'ed as well(just with 4:3)?

Oh well, this is probably my favorite in the series other than Deadlocked. Can't wait for the Collection!

Lvl 6 - Silver

Once again, great review! I got confused at first because I've never heard of Locked and Loaded. Then, I realized you must be talking about Going Commando. I don't know why they changed names for different countries. Oh well, great review! I can't wait to play!

Resident PHD

Quote Originally Posted by emosgirl View Post
    Once again, great review! I got confused at first because I've never heard of Locked and Loaded. Then, I realized you must be talking about Going Commando. I don't know why they changed names for different countries. Oh well, great review! I can't wait to play!
    Maybe because Going Commando is a North American term and other countries wouldn't get it.

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

PRO Member

Maybe because Going Commando is a North American term and other countries wouldn't get it.
    Indeed. The US might go commando, but down under we lock and load 'em.