Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Duke Nukem Forever Review

This is a discussion on Duke Nukem Forever Review within the Game Reviews forum, part of the Trophy Guides, Reviews & Articles; I made the mistake of buying this at full price. Worst game I've ever played Great review though!...

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I made the mistake of buying this at full price. Worst game I've ever played Great review though!
    68 Platinum Trophies

Member since 2009

Check Those Corners

It is $3.99 new at my gamestop. I plyd it on PC, but will buy it to have it in my collection. Great review BTW

Lvl 6 - Silver

I paid 20 for the game.. I enjoyed it a bit... the difficulty was a bit nuts on the octoking boss battle....Id give it a 6 myself.. but I can deff see why the low score was earned

Lvl 2 - Bronze

You forgot one major downfall to the game that makes it worth low score,,THE LOADING TIMES, the loading would take up to min+, and what was worse was in tougher diff you play die in 30 sec, wait min to load, die in under min, min load, I GOT sick of all loading the game did.

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by EVApunk View Post
    You forgot one major downfall to the game that makes it worth low score,,THE LOADING TIMES, the loading would take up to min+, and what was worse was in tougher diff you play die in 30 sec, wait min to load, die in under min, min load, I GOT sick of all loading the game did.
    yeah that bummed me out too... I recall yelling at my tv "COME ON" numerous times

PRO Member

You think this game is bad someone should review MindJack

hal
    Lvl 1 - Bronze

i got every damn trophy in this recently. even the dlc. so im pretty proud of that since insane difficulty is rather ridiculous. the last boss took me so many tries..

i like this game a lot but it is pretty crappy.. but its a kind of crappy you can still appreciate.. unless you are just really dumb and have no patience at all. if you never played duke 3d dont even bother

Lvl 4 - Silver

i didnt think it was that bad. and maybe its just me but i like the fact that its harder than the bull shit like cod or battlefield. separates the men from the 10 year old boys
    THE NOOSH
    BABAGANOOSH08

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

Even taking out the criticism for the endless waiting, the troubled development, the outdated graphics, simple gameplay and creepy rather than crude smut puns, it's still a below average title.

If it was any other generic game it would have been sneered at and left to rot in discount stores for years to come, a forgotten footnote in gaming history. Unfortunately a fun, silly franchise has been dragged through the dirt and cleaned up with shards of glass and jagged rocks before being lumped out as a game.

Gearbox are fairly blameless, they could have scrapped it and started anew but it's done, it's out of the way and now maybe they can get a fresh start with The Duke.

INTJ

i spent most of the game in that dream level anyway because i kept playing pool and pinball.

seriously the game was good, it wasn't tragic or bad, nor was it amazing or GOTY, just good. It felt like a old fashioned 90s game and thats something the industry kinda needs right now to break the monotony of this stupid modern fps bullshit

Lvl 4 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    i spent most of the game in that dream level anyway because i kept playing pool and pinball.

seriously the game was good, it wasn't tragic or bad, nor was it amazing or GOTY, just good. It felt like a old fashioned 90s game and thats something the industry kinda needs right now to break the monotony of this stupid modern fps bullshit
    I really don't see where you got that from. If you don't like fps's don't get them. There's still plenty of great, original games to play that are nothing like shooters anyway if you pay attention enough to find them. There's Journey, Heavy Rain, Mario Galaxy, Minecraft, Sly 4 coming out, Little Big Planet, Batman Arkham City, etc. and those are all great and vastly different. There's still something for everyone in today's gaming world. I mean you look at "monotonous fps's" and there's like 2 popular ones a year >_>

"Jigglypuff is the Finest"

PRO Member

I dont think its worth a 4...
    yeah.. its a very simple game, repetitive as hell and there's no story at all... but It's still fun most of the time. i'd give it a 7..
    I think a score that low should be given for games that are almost unplayable... like Kane and Lynch 2!! oh my god.. what a broken mess.
    but great review anyway!!

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Great review, sir! Keep 'em coming!

***Now the real game begins!***

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Im curently playing it atm and I quiet like it. At times it is a little poor but overal not that bad. Maybe a 6/10

Harvester of Souls

From what I have seen from and heard of the game, I see where this score came from right from the start. . Good review my friend and you're making a nice addition to the team. Keep up the good work.

HOSTED BY GREAT DAZE TAZER!!!!! COME JOIN THE MAYHEM!!!

Guide Bar Created by Ds_luckay

Lvl 10 - Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by thedevilsminion View Post
    You think this game is bad someone should review MindJack
    I actually enjoyed the game of course I never beat it. I just buy way to many games. But what I did play I liked and I didn't mind Duke Nukem Forever. I'd give it a 5.5-6.

Quote Originally Posted by GUUUUU2099 View Post
    I dont think its worth a 4...
    yeah.. its a very simple game, repetitive as hell and there's no story at all... but It's still fun most of the time. i'd give it a 7..
    I think a score that low should be given for games that are almost unplayable... like Kane and Lynch 2!! oh my god.. what a broken mess.
    but great review anyway!!
    You can say that again, I enjoyed the first game so I decided to buy the second Kane and Lynch for 2.99 thinking of all the poor reviews warning me in the back of my head. Man, was I wrong this game isn't even worth pissing on. But, I will try to beat the game but will have to do it one step at a time.

The Playboy Wikipedia

Great review. You know, I actually didn't mind the game. The main thing I wasn't a fan of was that there were no cutscenes. I also hated it how some guns took ages to kill an alien, yet throwing an item or punching them will almost kill them instantly.

I also felt there was no point for Multiplayer. You'd think there would have been at least 1 or 2 trophies you could get by playing online...I was disappointed when I saw that there wasn't any.
    Amanda Cerny - Playboy's Miss October 2011

Credit to Saul (from another site) for the sig!

Lvl 5 - Silver

I recently saw this game for 4.50€ and thought why not. Turned out it's not half as bad as all review make it out but that's probably expectations vs. delivery. I'd never pay full price for this game or if I did I'd certainly be disappointed but for a low price it's entertaining.
    I actually enjoyed all the small puzzles a lot and I think compared to other nowadays games they're pretty inventive. The game didn't feel very repetitive, there was always something new. The car controls were pretty good for a shooter, in my opinion. Most shooters with driving sequences do it worse with far more minimalistic physics. I liked the exaggerated macho humor as well and it was even fun the second time I went through the game, also the ego collectibles were very cleverly made with so many outdated stereotypes of mannishness, it was just hilarious.
    The biggest letdown are obsolete controls, especially if you're used to precise FPS controls of games like Modern Warfare. This game is just very old school and when you can't exploit the situation by finding a hallway where enemies will only reach you from one side you'll probably stay on the move often running backwards and... get stuck on a corner of the environment when you least need it and a second later a melee pigcop will put you to death because Duke just couldn't avoid that stupid corner. Expect invisible walls as well and things that look like you could jump on them but you can't because of an invisible barrier. This is obviously especially frustrating on the highest difficulty, most noticeable for me in the lady killer level where you are thrown in a room with pigcops a few times and there is no real strategy you can apply apart from of running around and be quick.

I recommend this game to anyone who likes old school shooters and can get it for a low price, it'll certainly be a nice one weekend entertainment.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12