Starhawk Review

This is a discussion on Starhawk Review within the Game Reviews forum, part of the Trophy Guides, Reviews & Articles; Starhawk Review by Kid_Loser Basic Information: Developer: LightBox Interactive, SCE Santa Monica Studio Publisher: Sony North American Release Date: May ...

Kid, not loser

Starhawk Review

Starhawk Review
    by Kid_Loser

Basic Information:
    Developer: LightBox Interactive, SCE Santa Monica Studio
    Publisher: Sony
    North American Release Date: May 8th, 2012
    European Release Date: May 11th, 2012
    Trophies: Total: 50 1 1 11 37

Overview
    Starhawk is the spiritual successor of 2007’s hit Warhawk. In Starhawk, you learn the story of Emmett Graves, a Rift Minor who must deal with the threats of mutated humans called the Outcasts in the single player portion of the game. Yes you heard me correctly, there is a single player in Starhawk. Of course, it would not be a spiritual successor without the key component fans of Warhawk loved, and that is the return of its vehicular multiplayer. So does it live up to Warhawks’ standard with added single player?

Gameplay
    Starhawk is a third-person shooter with vehicular combat in its simplest form. In all game modes, you get to use a new system called “Build and Battle”, which allows you to create structures on the battlefield at any given time. The Build and Battle system brings the strategic aspect of the game, with an RTS genre like feel. With this you’re able to build Supply bunkers, vehicle stations, shields, and even walls. The structures you are able to create are limited, but there is enough to cater to most of your needs. Building any structure is beyond fast, as it only takes seconds to call and create what you wanted. It is easy to learn and only takes a couple minutes to understand the basics of Build and Battle. Using this system in all game modes really puts forth a fun strategic element when battling your enemies. It can become just as fun to create bases as it is to penetrate through the enemies’ base. You will think of many ways to create an indestructible fortress when progressing through all modes.

Using Build and Battle, you can crush your enemies to kill them in an instant for cruel fun, and a laughable riot.

The weapons you use within the game vary in different types. You get a repair tool to repair broken structures or vehicles, you get different types of grenades to use in all types of situations, and you have many other choices in terms of basic weaponry to choose from. The game also has a weapon wheel system that allows you to pick up a weapon and keep it for the duration of your life. Dying in multiplayer or starting a new mission in the campaign resets the wheel to its basics. The weapon wheel makes it so you can pick up any weapon without need of sacrifice, and at times allows for an even fight when facing tougher enemies.

I had a little grudge when playing through all the modes, and that was due to the aiming reticle only being on your right side when taking aim. The button is used for nothing, and could have been a perfect use so you could switch shoulder views when you aimed. When peeking around corners, it was difficult to get the jump on someone when they saw you first but you couldn’t see them due to not being able to switch shoulder views. Something that was quite infuriating at times, that could still be corrected.

As it was with Warhawk, Starhawk offers its players the choice of using vehicles. You get many different types of vehicles such as the coral(a hover bike), the Razorback(a jeep with a turret), an Ox(heavy tank), and the Hawk which is a Mech that can transform into a plane at any given time. These vehicles only come when you use the Build and Battle system to create the stations that carry them. The controls for each vehicle are easy and precise to use. You will not be having Battlefield 3 like control problems in this. Each vehicle is fun to use, and offers something that will help you in many predicaments.

Singleplayer
    The single player portion of Starhawk is fairly short, but sets itself as a well made introductory for the multiplayer. That may sound like a negative aspect of it, but when a game like this is so Multiplayer focused, you know the Story offerings should be light. The bright side of the single player is that it may introduce you to many of the multiplayer aspects, but is on par with Story and gameplay wise as any other big shooter out there. The story follows Emmett Graves, a Rift Minor who was exposed to a heavy amount of Rift energy. Most men who are exposed to Rift energy are mutated into outcasts, but Emmett is able to stay human with a regulator implanted into his spine, somewhat similar to Iron Man. You do get this introductory story similar to Iron Mans, but it does a good job separating itself from it as well. Emmett then becomes more of a hired gun to take down the Outcasts as they reap havoc. It’s not a story you will be telling anyone about a day after you finish, but is one that fits well with the setting of the game.

The greatest aspect of the single player campaign is how it showed you the story. You will not be seeing any cinematics throughout the entirety of the campaign. Instead you will be shown a motion-comic-book like style of storytelling cutscenes. The transitions between the motion-comic cutscenes were well implemented and they do not detract at all from the story flow. It was as enjoyable to just watch the cutscene and learn the story from it, as it was to play the game and learn the story.

It may look dull and brown, but still is great fun to watch it play out in comic book style.

Multiplayer
    The competitive multiplayer aspect of Starhawk is where the game truly out does itself. Don’t come playing Starhawk as if it were another Call of Duty type game, instead, play it however you really want. The point of Starhawks multiplayer is to just have pure fun, and it really shines in that aspect. If you’re a gamer who loves the competitive side of multiplayer, you will love Starhawk. You can play the game with teamwork, or as lonesome as you want it. There is a level system in the game that is so well implemented, that those who loved Warhawk for not having one and those that want one will love it. It is not so much in your face that it begs to be paid attention to, but is good enough for those who love ranking systems to be glad it’s there. Starhawks Multiplayer truly is one that can be played anyway you want. Either mess around with the Build and Battle system, play around with the vehicles, or just play the modes to win, it really is up to you.

The competitive multiplayer does have one down side to it though, and that is the lack of game modes. You will only get 4 game modes, Deathmatch, TDM, Zones and Capture the Flag. These are the pretty basic game type modes out on today’s market, and the game surely could have had more modes added to it as Warhawk had six game modes (excluding Dogfight). Two less modes doesn’t sound like much of a difference, but still is a lack of variety and may turn fans of Warhawk off.

Destroying your flying enemy in all game modes couldn't be any more satisfying when you're in your Hawk.

Besides the competitive multiplayer in the game there is also co-operative multiplayer as well, called Prospector mode. In Prospector mode, you will defend a rift extractor with up to 4 other friends in either online or 2 player split-screen. You can play Prospector on 5 different maps, 6 if including the DLC, which is actually a fair amount. The mode is very limited as all you really do in it is defend against Outcasts and use Build and Battle. It can be fun to strategize with your friends on the best possible way to defend your base, but becomes tiresome after playing the mode a few times. The game allows you to up the difficulty if you think it is becoming too easy for you, but still gets just as tiresome to play after awhile. Although it feels just like the same thing over and over, it still is a fun little mode you will come back to every once in awhile just to take a little break from the Competitive Multiplayer or Singleplayer portions of the game.

Technical
    The graphics in the game are nothing special to look at. The game looks fairly old with not much of a big array of color other than a light brown for the most part of it. When you’re in space though, the game really makes you think you’re there, and is really a nice change up in color schemes. Explosions look fantastic in space, and look even better when you’re the one that made it. Space battles really are the greatest aspects on the games graphical side.

The audio for the game can cut in and out at times. I had specific problems when playing the co-operative mode and the sound wouldn’t come back on for a couple minutes. This was minor as it only happened about 4 times though. The sounding of the guns were probably the best aspect in the sound department. The guns have a different sense of power for each weapon you use. You can tell what weapon it is simply by listening to the way it is fired or by the feel you get from shooting it without looking on screen. Definitely better than most shooter games you may play.

Trophies
    The trophies for Starhawk are quite a bit of the grind fest. The single player trophies are all basic by just “Complete this Chapter” and "Beat it on this Difficulty”. When you get to the Co-op mode, you have to beat the mode 50 times and once without dying, which can be extremely boring and tiresome. The competitive Multiplayer trophies are where the real grinding is though. You need to play just about every mode and win 100 times on most of them. You also need to win TDM and Deathmatch modes, perfectly and on top. This all may sound pretty difficult and quite an annoyance, but the game is very easy to boost. You play the game in either Split-screen or online with up to 2 players and get all the trophies this way. You are able to make the game mode with the rules anyway you want them to be and it will still count towards the trophies. This makes it much easier, but still makes it a chore to do as it is really boring to do. This not only makes the Platinum in the game achievable for most, but it also makes it much less of a respectable Platinum to have unlike Warhawks Platinum, even if done legitimately, as no one will know if you did so or not.

Closing Thoughts
    Starhawk really is an amazing game, and is worthy of being the successor of Warhawk. Fans of Warhawk will play and love the game, along with newcomers of the series. The singleplayer may be forgettable compared to its multiplayer part, but still is a worthy addition. If you loved Warhawk, or maybe you’re someone hoping for a new Battlefront with its space battles, get Starhawk, you will not regret it.

Gameplay: 9/10
    Lives up to the gameplay found in Warhawk, with additions you will be glad were made.

Singleplayer: 8/10
    Quite fun and is able to hold itself up on its own two feet. Seems a little bit of an introductory to the Multiplayer, but still is worth your time to play.

Multiplayer: 9.5/10
    One of the best multiplayers around that you can do almost anything you really want to do in. It really caters to all multiplayer lovers in today’s market of games.

Technical: 7.5/10
    Not the prettiest game out there, but certainly not the ugliest. The sound effects are pretty good and makes up for the graphics.

Overall: 8.5/10
    Last edited by Curse; 08-10-2012 at 07:31 PM.

PRO Member

Great review man, I was looking into picking this up but yet again another game slipped by me

What you've said about the multiplayer is starting to make me regret it now though, I'd give it a rent if it wasn't for the cursed online pass

PRO Member

Damn you guys have been kicking the reviews out. Nice work cheers
    Sig by Alison//Avatar by kid420247//PPS BAR by RaveNScythE18

Nope, nothing

WTF IS GOING ON!?!
    There's just so many reviews all of a sudden It's like, god forbid, the site has a Review Team?!

Good review, Kid. I played the demo for this and I wasn't a huge fan, it seemed really cluttered.

Resident PHD

Too many reviews...I don't understand what is happening

I need to get back into this game. I played for a bit, but then went on vacation and never got back into it.

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

Crocodile Hunter

Great review man, you and I need to finish the co-op one of these days

Sig by Apokolypz

#cutformesa

[insert snarky comment about recent quantity of reviews]

Every time I see this come up, I'm reminded of how much I want it. I really need to find a cheapo copy somewhere and get me some 'Hawk love. I don't know how I let it slip by me; I was watching this like a hawk when it was in development (pun definitely intended).

Current Playthrough Counts:
    Mass Effect: 25 || Mass Effect 2: 44
    Mass Effect 3: 15
    Add me for ME3 multiplayer shenanigans.
    First legit Mass Effect 3 100% on PS3T.

SERBIA STRONG

Thanks to Luckay for the ETGWG bar and avy, and Qurb for the sig!

Yankees And Packers <3

I'm going have to disagree with the review, being a hardcore Warhawk fan with 4000+ hours of online play time. This game is nothing that i wanted in the "spiritual successor" of Warhawk. The online is a total let down. The maps are way to big, the flying controls are inferior to the ones of Warhawk. But then again i haven't played the single player, but the online is a let down in my opinion.

Kid, not loser

Quote Originally Posted by Flame808 View Post
    I'm going have to disagree with the review, being a hardcore Warhawk fan with 4000+ hours of online play time. This game is nothing that i wanted in the "spiritual successor" of Warhawk. The online is a total let down. The maps are way to big, the flying controls are inferior to the ones of Warhawk. But then again i haven't played the single player, but the online is a let down in my opinion.
    Well I certainly don't speak for all Warhawk fans, especially how I did not play too much of it(many hours of just playing it in split-screen), but I must say for a "Spiritual Successor" it does its job. It is not a Sequel, and it certainly is not Warhawk. The game needed to differentiate itself from Warhawk, and it did so perfectly by keeping the good, adding the new, and getting rid of the old. Many people like you and me would consider Warhawks mp perfect. So really, there is absolutely no reason to make another game completely like it. No reason to have another series just like COD. This is a Spiritual Successor, that does it right. Thanks for your input though. We are all entitled to our opinions.

Thanks to Bladia for the amazing Sig and Avy.

Lvl 4 - Silver

I forgot about this game. Now I am starting Warhawk again.

Kid, not loser

Quote Originally Posted by Curse View Post
    Great review man, I was looking into picking this up but yet again another game slipped by me

What you've said about the multiplayer is starting to make me regret it now though, I'd give it a rent if it wasn't for the cursed online pass
    Thanks man. I for one have a blast with the mp, and I'm sure you would too. Try to pick it up one of these days instead
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Highway00 View Post
    Damn you guys have been kicking the reviews out. Nice work cheers
    Thanks We hope to get more and more out as time goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by Chambers35 View Post
    WTF IS GOING ON!?!
    There's just so many reviews all of a sudden It's like, god forbid, the site has a Review Team?!

Good review, Kid. I played the demo for this and I wasn't a huge fan, it seemed really cluttered.
    Thanks for reading man... I can see how you think it can be cluttered at times, which is also a good thing they made it so you can make the matches have as many players as you want. That way there aren't as many people doing just random stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_mayus View Post
    Too many reviews...I don't understand what is happening

I need to get back into this game. I played for a bit, but then went on vacation and never got back into it.
    Well I hope you do. It certainly is worth your time imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ac3dUd3- View Post
    Great review man, you and I need to finish the co-op one of these days
    Thanks bro, and yes we do. We can't give up no matter how long the grind is either

Quote Originally Posted by Curb View Post
    [insert snarky comment about recent quantity of reviews]

Every time I see this come up, I'm reminded of how much I want it. I really need to find a cheapo copy somewhere and get me some 'Hawk love. I don't know how I let it slip by me; I was watching this like a hawk when it was in development (pun definitely intended).
    Well I hope you get it soon. They also just released free dlc for it as well, so know that you're really missing out the whole time you don't have it
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy66 View Post
    I forgot about this game. Now I am starting Warhawk again.
    Great choice. Warhawk is a great game. Remember to pick this up once you start feeling warn out from Warhawk... Which may never happen

Thanks to Bladia for the amazing Sig and Avy.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Wow cool review! Really thanks, I think I'm going to buy it when I got more money hehe x)

Please, join the Korra club! http://sot.ag/4Lp2/