Trine 2 Review

This is a discussion on Trine 2 Review within the Game Reviews forum, part of the Trophy Guides, Reviews & Articles; Trine 2 Review by dsluckay Basic Information: Developer: Frozenbyte Publisher: Atlus Genre: Side-Scrolling Platformer North American Release Date: December 20th, ...

Change is mediocre

Trine 2 Review

Trine 2 Review
    by dsluckay

Basic Information:
    Developer: Frozenbyte
    Publisher: Atlus
    Genre: Side-Scrolling Platformer
    North American Release Date: December 20th, 2011
    European Release Date: March 7th, 2012
    Trophies: Yes, 1 | 11 | 1

Overview
    Trine 2 is the sequel to the surprising hit, Trine. Trine 2 continues with the characters from Trine as they embark on another journey. Amadeus, the clever wizard, Pontius, the fearless knight, and Zoya, the mysterious thief's souls are entwined with an ancient artifact known as the Trine. Trine 2 is a magical and luscious adventure that will be difficult to forget.

Gameplay
    The Trine series has always had a unique style of gameplay. Trine 2 is a side-scrolling platforming title, with real-life physics thrown in to the mix. Now, at first thought you may be a little skeptical. "A side-scroller with real-life physics? This would never work!". You would be wrong, and if you have played the first Trine, you know this already. There are multiple traps and puzzles that require physics and your understanding of them to complete and pass. Things like large boxes blocking your path, swinging logs that could be painful if you get hit, avoiding carnivorous plants, etc. Using the unique abilities each character has is crucial. There is often more than one way to continue. An example being you could either break a large wall with the knight's brute strength, or telekinetically lift an object to smash the wall. This is a great feature that I think many other side-scrollers should consider, as physics and thinking is often very rewarding and fun in games.

As I progressed though I found that Trine 2 begins to repeat itself a little, and may seem boring in some levels. You will see a trap or a puzzle that you have done 2 maybe 3 times prior, leaving little challenge. There may be some enemies included to try and throw you off the train of thought but it's never anything big enough to seem different. Not a big problem, but still there nonetheless.

The characters each have unique abilities that, when used correctly, can result in your progression. The wizard Amadeus ( Amadeus Amadeus, Amadeus ) has telekinesis that moves objects. Not only this, but he can create objects such as boxes and planks that may help build a path to a high ledge. Pontius, the Knight, is a strong character, his ability being to perform well in a fight. He has access to a large hammer, which when unlocked (I will get to that soon) can be thrown to take out the monsters in your way. He also has a charge ability (also unlockable) that makes Pontius plow through the monsters and kill them in bulk. The thief Zoya has a bow and arrow, which can take out enemies from afar. She also has access to a grappling hook, which she can use to swing from the ceiling or other high objects. This gives the characters a really neat contrast.

Amadeus can create multiple objects with his magic.

You can also earn experience points, level up, and upgrade your characters as you play the game. "What? A side-scroller with real-life physics and upgradable characters? This isn't a true side-scroller!". You're right, it's not. You can earn experience points from killing monsters, and collecting blue bottles scattered throughout the levels. They are usually difficult to reach, but a lot are right in front of you when you go through the levels. Each character has their own unique unlockables, such as the thief's frost arrows that can be used to freeze enemies. The more you explore the more you are rewarded with an easier time playing the game.

Singleplayer
    The story is told through a story-book fashion, with a narrator reading from a book. This advances the plot between levels where you kill things and solve puzzles. Though I have to admit, I don't even know what the plot is in Trine 2 after playing it. It's basically the same general medieval plot, an evil force of Goblins threaten the land and the 3 heroes must kill them. While the Queen is usurped, you must restore peace to the kingdom once again. Not the strongest of plots, but again, it isn't made to tell a fantastic story. The entire game can be completed roughly over the course of five hours, even less if you are quick. Each level takes 10-20 minutes to complete, but this is a good deal for a PSN title.

I enjoy a book themed narrative at the beginning of the levels.

During the course of the game, at the end of most levels you get to fight colorful bosses. These range from snakes to giants to basically anything that is a large creature. Sometimes you will need to figure out ways to kill them indirectly, while others you kill with brute force. Something that Trine 2 surpasses it's predecessor with, since they aren't the same generic giant thrown in for extra experience points. The same goes with the monsters.

In Trine, you would fight only skeletons and a few giant ones. This is not the case in Trine 2, you fight many variations of Goblins, lizards, spiders, eels and even plants! There are many more, but those are the most common.

Like many games, as you go along it gets harder and harder. Well, near the end of Trine 2, the last 4 or so levels can really be a pain. Some puzzles can be really tricky to figure out, like directing water to where a plant can grow with nothing but the wizards objects that he can conjure. It seems like smooth sailing in the beginning and then they throw fastballs at you, keeping you sharp and ready. And while this isn't necessarily a bad thing, be ready for it. A few times I spent a good five-eight minutes thinking of how to solve the problem. I actually wish more games would do this, instead of mindlessly wailing on monsters. Having to stop and think, while it may be hard, can be relaxing with no pressure.

Multiplayer
    The multiplayer is essentially three player co-op. Each player chooses one character of the three and you play together to beat the levels. The co-op is a small feature and it's difficult to get in to great detail about it. Imagine you playing Trine 2 singleplayer. Now imagine two of your friends along for the ride and there you have it. It's a level based game, so I'm not sure co-op was really needed but it doesn't take away from the core game.

Of course it's fun to go through the game cooperatively with your best buddies, so it does add to the game in a sense. You basically need to play and think together to solve the puzzles and progress as you would in the singleplayer game. You can never say going through a game with a friend or two is less fun than by yourself, because more often than not it's the exact opposite. I feel it is a lot more fun with another player in this case, and should be played with friends and not by one's self if possible.

Technical
    Trine 2 is beautiful. Simple as that. The levels are luscious and full of vibrant colors. It's really easy on the eyes, with so much going on it's a wonder. You will be in one room where it may be mostly yellow, then head to the next and be blinded by colors of deep blue. There is some really nice contrast and it is just great to look at these levels in the game. I'm one for vibrant colors and I can't stop drooling when I see them. It's such a refreshing thing after a Call Of Duty game where all you see are different tones of brown splattered in the color palette.

This is just pure eye-candy. I love it.

The level design, whilst being fairly repetitive, is quite good. There are many different elements, at one time you could be swimming and the next you are threatened by fire in a puzzle that requires thinking. Again, another refreshing thing is that all levels aren't just copy-pasted to fill up the time quota, there is some real creativity here. Having to build planks to get across a canyon as the wizard is neat, as is grappling around with the thief and charging through walls as the knight. It's a good variety and contrast with levels that can fall slack at times. Please keep in mind though that when I say it can get repetitive, I mean the structures and puzzles. You may encounter the same sort of trap or puzzle but the scenery is always different and more spectacular than the last.

There have been reported glitches but I have not experienced any. So either they are very rare or have been patched. Things that others have encountered though are under the world glitches, where you are trapped beneath the floor with no escape. Another is when fighting the final boss (which will remain unspoken of) a message will pop-up telling you to reconnect your controller. So while I have not personally experienced any glitches, there are some out there that could be annoying.

Trophies
    This is one of the easiest games out there in terms of trophies. All of them can be done before level eight, which means you don't even need to finish the game to earn the platinum. This is mostly just a number booster for you trophy hunters. 11 gold trophies that are all easy is always a delight. They are all easy and fun to do, like submerging a bubble for three seconds or standing on a plank above an air pipe for ten seconds.

Closing Thoughts
    Trine 2 is a great PSN title that I think the fans of side-scrollers and platformers should definitely buy. Others should wait for a possible price drop, but should consider buying if possible. It's a colorful, unique title that warrants a lot of fun for the few hours it lasts. A fun game that uses physics and platforming to tell the story of three contrasted heroes.

Gameplay: 9/10
    Physics that are well polished isn't exactly seen much in side-scrollers (that I have played), and with the different characters it was an all around fun experience.

Singleplayer: 7/10
    I struggled to understand the plot, so that gets points off for me. The varied monsters that you fight are a welcomed change.

Multiplayer: 7/10
    Basically the same as singleplayer, which earns it the same. The fun you have with another player is obvious and won't count towards the score.

Technical: 9/10
    Since the levels did get repetitive (while not actually being the same, I had the illusion that I was there before) the levels were beautiful eye-candy.

Overall: 8/10
    Last edited by Curse; 08-12-2012 at 01:27 PM.

PRO Member

Good review dsluckay

I played the first one but never really got into it, I thought at the time though that the game was begging for co-op, and now it has it!

Resident PHD

Too many reviews...I, I give up

Quote Originally Posted by Curse View Post
    Good review dsluckay

I played the first one but never really got into it, I thought at the time though that the game was begging for co-op, and now it has it!
    The first one had co-op (offline, but still).

Great review Luck, I agree the story was not its strong point but the game was a lot of fun.

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

Change is mediocre

Quote Originally Posted by Curse View Post
    Good review dsluckay

Yeah Trine had three person couch co-op.

Trine 2 is a great improvement over Trine.

Kid, not loser

Great review here man. I agree the game certainly was fun and a great improvement. I however, never finish it Just got the plat and left it behind

Thanks to Bladia for the amazing Sig and Avy.

PRO Member

In a multiverses of different bodies and souls

Nice review here. I enjoyed the game, even though it only took me two hours to get the platinum in it.

Lvl 10 - Platinum

nice review, but i think i might be the only person to absolutely hate this game, i dont like the controls, i dont like the way too bright colors, im not even sure if ill go back to it to get the rest of the trophies, cannot exress how much i hate this game, so glad i didnt pay any money for it

PRO Member

Very well detailed review but u forgot to mention bout the asia glitch

Crocodile Hunter

So thats why you were playing it yesterday

The game is still crap IMO tho lol, you gave DNF a 4 yet this an 8 ?
    who bought you offf huh!?!?!?!

Sig by Apokolypz

Change is mediocre

Quote Originally Posted by AngeldeLeo View Post
    Very well detailed review but u forgot to mention bout the asia glitch
    Asia glitch? I have no idea what that is and that isn't exactly telling me much. Is it something only people in Asia can see? Is it a glitch where and Asian man walks on screen and says "Hey guys, stop playing for a second and look at me. I'm an Asian guy on your screen, and this is a glitch."

As I mentioned I didn't experience any glitches and only mentioned ones that I found posted frequently by others around the web.