Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days Review

This is a discussion on Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days Review within the Game Reviews forum, part of the Trophy Guides, Reviews & Articles; Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days Review by dsluckay Basic Information: Developer: IO Interactive Publisher: Eidos Interactive North American Release ...

Change is mediocre

by dsluckay

Basic Information:
    Developer: IO Interactive
    Publisher: Eidos Interactive
    North American Release Date: August 17th, 2010
    European Release Date: August 20th, 2010
    Trophies: Yes, 1 , 3 , 3 , 44

Overview
    Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days is a sequel to 2007's Dead Men. It follows Kane and, you guessed it, Lynch as they traverse through Shanghai. You play as Lynch, after he starts a new life in Shanghai with his new girlfriend. After Lynch hears about a job to smuggle guns to Africa, Lynch calls Kane for his assistance in the job. Kane & Lynch 2 is gritty and shows what it's like to have a thug life.

Gameplay
    This game plays like most other third-person shooters. You run, gun, and take cover. Lots of cover. The cover system seems broken and doesn't function properly in the midst of a gun fight. A few times I would try to grab some cover on a nearby wall or chest-high obstacle and Lynch would be getting shot in cover. It really defeats the purpose of the so called "cover". That would often result in me getting killed and getting quite frustrated.

It seems like all you do is shoot people in this game. Because really, that is all you do. You run through corridors, shoot people and take cover so you can repeat that process over and over. While there is nothing wrong with the mechanics of shooting (though the shotgun is more accurate at farther distances than assault rifles at times) it gets bland. There's really only one point in the game that changes this up, but only for a few minutes. You get to control a turret in a helicopter, but I won't get into details as it's near the end. I found this fun and wanted it to last a while, but it doesn't. Instead your are right back to shooting people yourself, which was sort of the last thing I wanted to do after that.

The general gameplay mechanics are a step forward from Dead Men but that really isn't saying much. A few problems and bugs may have been improved, yet it still feels sloppy since running and shooting are the only things you do. The point I'm getting at is there is a lack of innovation here. Nothing feels original or fresh, it feels like a low-effort sequel. A sequel I am quite baffled at the existence of. Were people really demanding a sequel to Dead Men? At the very least you should step up a sequel, make it better than the first. But other than the mechanics, it's a step back.

What's that? You can shoot while crawling before you die? Very original.

Singleplayer
    Lynch is in Shanghai, starting a new life with his new girlfriend. He works for a crime organization, and gets a big job; to smuggle guns to Africa. He can't do this alone. Lynch calls Kane for his assistance and they agree to split the money. They get their first assignment, threaten an informant named "Li Brady". Brady has a gang to back him up, and after a gunfight, Brady's girlfriend gets shot. Shortly thereafter, Brady commits suicide. They are now hunted by one of the biggest crime lords in Shanghai, Hsing.

Kane & Lynch 2 has an extreme lack of innovation. Even the story sounds generic, "people in Shanghai being hunted by a crime lord". The most innovative thing here is running naked in the streets. You read that correctly, running naked in the alleyways of Shanghai. After a rather disturbing cutscene, Kane and Lynch are stripped of their cloths, and full of cuts all over their bodies. This adds the fact that this game is gritty and real, with no one to really "root" for. Everyone is as bad as the others, which I like in games when pulled off correctly.

It's hard to feel sympathy for Kane or Lynch. They may have things done that could cause one to feel bad for either of them (like things that happen to Lynch's girlfriend) but that feeling is swept away when they open their mouths. When every sentence has a cuss it feels lazy, and perhaps a little too vulgar. I just couldn't stand it when I would enter a building and hear "Holy sh*t!" or "What the f*ck?". It's fine to use these at times but not every single sentence. It takes all character out of the characters, if you know what I mean. The characters were pretty bland to begin with so this isn't helping at all.

If all that wasn't bad enough the game can be completed in 4-5 hours. It's just 4 hours of Kane and Lynch running around, shooting guys with nothing really happening and nothing being learned. It's insulting for a game to last this short, and the end boss isn't even the ending climax! The end boss is 2 dogs if you want to be technical, but anyway; instead, you have yet another level to complete to see the most abrupt endings I have ever seen. It just ends. With music that will make you think you are watching a snuff film. There is nothing fun about this game, and no reason to really play it at all.

Multiplayer
    Here's something you don't see everyday. I feel that the multiplayer is a step up from the singleplayer game. With actual unique game modes such as Arcade Mode, Fragile Alliance, Undercover Cop and Cops & Robbers. It was refreshing to not see a sign of Deathmatch anywhere. What's more is these are actually quite inspired game types. There are teams, with cops and robbers in each game mode. You will need to either utilize teamwork to pull off a heist to earn millions, or backstab your teammates and claim it all for yourself.

Arcade Mode can be played offline with AI. You are robbers in the act of pulling off a heist. You need to collect loot and prepare for a battle against the cops. You're teammates can kill you for your loot and reach an escape vehicle, earning a lot of money while you earn nothing. Arcade Mode is similar to Fragile Alliance which is arguably the best game mode in Kane & Lynch 2. Instead you play with online teammates and have a goal of $4,000,000 in under 4 minutes while dodging cop bullets. You can kill teammates and steal their loot but will be branded a traitor and hunted by other teammates.

Killing these traitors gives an even higher reward, giving a purpose to killing traitors and ultimately not being one in the first place. It's better to work together, even if you split the earnings. There is always some prick though that will kill anything that moves and everyone hates. When you get killed as a robber, your game time doesn't end there. You then respawn as a cop, amongst other AI cops trying to stop the robbers from escaping. This gives the player a chance to have revenge on the guy that killed him which is quite satisfying if successful.

Everyone loves Cops & Robbers!

If you don't like disloyal people you can look at each players' loyalty rating before the game starts. This ranges from Scum to Saint, and lets you know which players to look out for or work with while playing. This can be changed by actually be loyal/disloyal in-game. If you are trigger happy and kill teammates you will get a rating reflecting this. It's a good feature that I think other games could benefit from.

Undercover Cop picks a cop at random from the players, and plucks them alongside AI in a chance to stop the rest of the players which are robbers. A "zombie" mode if you will. As a cop, you need to kill robbers to assimilate them to your side. As a robber, you need to collect the loot and escape without dying. Cops & Robbers is essentially the same sort of gameplay as Fragile Alliance or the others, but with people on both sides. A take on Team Deathmatch that doesn't feel like it's been done and overdone. As cops you still need to kill robbers and stop them from collecting loot. Surviving cops share the scores and robbers share the loot.

Now these modes are all fun and there is nothing wrong with the multiplayer of Kane & Lynch 2, it 's still the same game that had problems. Everything you didn't like about the singleplayer game (AI, cover mechanics, etc.) is still present in multiplayer and has to drag it down. If it were a little more polished I think it could have been a lot better than it is. There are only 6 or so maps and the AI spawns in the same places meaning that you will get bored after a while. There's little variation, which is saddening because the multiplayer had promise. There's also a choice to play the singleplayer game cooperatively with a friend but it's still the same game, now just with a friend that will hate you for making him play it.

Technical
    I like the fact that Kane & Lynch 2 uses video effects to present itself. It's a good thing to have in theory but it couldn't be pulled off right. I guess it's made to be like someone unspoken of was there recording the events and ventured unharmed behind Kane and Lynch. Recording them as they die or commit crimes. But like a normal "not-so-good" camera would have, there are digital artifacts at times, as well as censorship when you shoot innocents. In the face. There are also beams from lights to show a lens glare that just looks ugly most of the time, and the "camera man" shakes while Lynch runs four feet which gets very annoying. Luckily that can be turned off but if you have an option to turn something that frequent off why add it to the game at all? It just seems redundant.

So the graphics were made intentionally bad to have the effects from a video camera but even the character models aren't done well. They look like plastic, especially in cutscenes. It adds to the game's overall ugliness and it's just plain bad.

It's the latest Kane toy!

The levels are also very repetitive. Get used to seeing the same dirty alleyway in Shanghai about five gazillion times. Seriously though the levels lack creativity, they are all just grey and brown with bright colored lights thrown in at random. I like bright colorful lights and vibrant colors, but it wasn't used in a way that would make me say "Wow, these colors are beautiful." That's what I expected from the box-art but was sadly mistaken. You can see bright lights in the streets of Shanghai (bright signs on buildings and whatnot), but that's not where the majority of the game is. Being indoors and in the alleys are mostly what the levels are.

The enemy AI can be just plain stupid. Either they will sit behind cover, and wait for you to move up just so they can kill you. That may be fine, but they can literally not move until you get to an easy killing point at which point they will then move and kill you. The enemies can also rush you like crazy, being suicidal. Lastly they will have a pattern when behind cover. Stand up for five seconds, sit down for five seconds, repeat.

Trophies
    The hardest thing about the trophies for Kane & Lynch 2 is the multiplayer ones. Pulling some off legit will prove to be a challenge, especially with traitors ruining things for you. There's also a few co-op trophies, so grab your best friend and play! He will slowly hate you but you will be happy. After all of that there are regular story-progression trophies and a few misc. ones that can be fun to achieve.

Closing Thoughts
    Kane & Lynch 2 didn't need to happen. What we got seems like a low-effort sequel in which the characters learn nothing from being through the events that happen. This means that the events didn't need to happen. If you like gritty games, with repetitive levels and boring gameplay with a promising multiplayer then this game is for you.

Gameplay: 4/10
    The cover can feel broken at times and the game is just so repetitive. All you do is shoot, and move forward while taking cover.

Singleplayer: 2/10
    A four hour long game, with one of the most abrupt endings I have ever seen.

Multiplayer: 5/10
    I like it but the problems from the singleplayer game carries over to here. The lack of more maps and random AI holds it back even more.

Technical: 2/10
    This game is dirty and ugly, with character models that can look like toys and the AI can be quite stupid.

Overall: 3/10
    Last edited by dsluckay; 08-28-2012 at 06:53 AM.

#cutformesa

3/10? That's too bad; I was just starting to like you.

Kane and Lynch might not be the greatest game ever, but it's definitely not that bad.

Current Playthrough Counts:
    Mass Effect: 25 || Mass Effect 2: 44
    Mass Effect 3: 15
    Add me for ME3 multiplayer shenanigans.
    First legit Mass Effect 3 100% on PS3T.

SERBIA STRONG

Thanks to Luckay for the ETGWG bar and avy, and Qurb for the sig!

NSFW

Didn't this release like... 2 years ago? Oh well, It's nicely done review. Don't know if I agree with it since, I've never played the game.

Sig made by Beam. Platbar by Thunder.

Sig made by Beam.
    Platbar made by Thunder.

Angel of Death

Yeah, it's a pretty old game. lol Good thing I stayed away from it.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

For my opinion, the end was worst than the Mass Effect 3 one
    "Really, what's with that? Such a power doesn't even appear in Academy City's databank. If I am a 1-in-328,571 prodigy, then aren't you, the only one in Academy City, a 1-in-2,300,000 disaster?"
    Misaka Mikoto (To Aru Kagaku No Railgun

Forget I Was Ever Here

It was a nice review, however being as old as it is i remember since a year ago there has been pretty much nobody online in that game and when you play multiplayer it kicks you out A LOT… i wouldn't recommend this game to anyone now to get it and platinum. nice job DSLuckay

It is time for me to go underground

Lvl 9 - Gold

the game is that bad i didnt play past the 2nd level good review

Administrator

I was actually interested in picking up so it was good to see a review. The gameplay looked unique with their approach to the third person view. I may see if I can find it cheaper then $5.

Lord of all Goat-Men

Just wondering what's the point of reviewing such an old title?
    Unless it has been patched or has had DLC released, its the same game that almost every other online media outlet has reviewed, and panned.
    It just doesn't provide us with anything new.

Having said that, I'm a fan of the reviews and I hope they continue; hopefully with more relevant subject matter in the future <3

Legendary...Nuff Said

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    Just wondering what's the point of reviewing such an old title?
    Unless it has been patched or has had DLC released, its the same game that almost every other online media outlet has reviewed, and panned.
    It just doesn't provide us with anything new.

Having said that, I'm a fan of the reviews and I hope they continue; hopefully with more relevant subject matter in the future <3
    We like to attempt to have reviews for every game possible. Regardless of how old the game is, if a new member has played a game that we haven't reviewed yet, they may as well still write it to add to the community and enhance discussion. It's better to have a late review for a game rather than no review at all, in other words.

And we enjoy writing them too!

deviantART | Gifts | SOTM XXXVI
    Circumstances may change, but circumcisions are forever.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quick note to all that are interested in picking this title up because you saw it cheap and wanted the platinum. DONT DO IT, save yourself the pain. I recently got the plat for this and it took me many many hours of frustrating boosting online with some nice and not so nice people. Impossible to plat legit. Not to mention the amount of time you get kicked from the game. You might be lucky to complete 1 in 10 games on line. I can't begin to exprees my utter disappointment with this game.

Resident PHD

Quote Originally Posted by JackAttack View Post
    We like to attempt to have reviews for every game possible. Regardless of how old the game is, if a new member has played a game that we haven't reviewed yet, they may as well still write it to add to the community and enhance discussion. It's better to have a late review for a game rather than no review at all, in other words.

And we enjoy writing them too!
    Also since Luck is a new member of the RT the more reviews he gets to write the more he can hone his skills.

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

Crocodile Hunter

3/10 DS hahaha

nah i heard that it really was terrible
    Last edited by Ac3dUd3-; 08-29-2012 at 05:57 AM.

Sig by Apokolypz

Kid, not loser

Great review here DS. I played the demo before it released and thought it was pretty bad, not this bad though. I think I will always stay away from it regardless of the price.

Thanks to Bladia for the amazing Sig and Avy.

VII

Damn shame. The first Kane & Lynch (I thought) was incredible and refreshing, especially the multiplayer and it had an engaging story. I had high hopes for the sequel, but judging by your review and others, it isn't even worth it. Good review DS

PRO Member

In a multiverses of different bodies and souls

Yep, the game really is that bad

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Way too low. I thought the game deserves a 7. I would have given it a personal 8.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Komrade View Post
    Way too low. I thought the game deserves a 7. I would have given it a personal 8.
    a 8 for this CRAP holly shit 0.o...... this depressing kick every time from the servers the killing me . .. from me personal deserve a 2 " the worst SP & MP game out there

Lvl 1 - Bronze

get out'a'here you must be sick . you talk like those pirates who did not read the game manuel for the first Kane & Lynch and later talk about the cover system was broke . Well its not broke , you just dont know to play Kane & Lynch 2 Remember this , Io-interactic is making games in denmark and we are one of the most expensive state in the world and Io-interactic made 2 games for only 200 mio danish kroner wile squer enix was owertaken Eidos so show them a bit respekt , Io-interactic did not force you to play Kane & Lynch 2

Change is mediocre

Quote Originally Posted by HEADSTAR View Post
    get out'a'here you must be sick . you talk like those pirates who did not read the game manuel for the first Kane & Lynch and later talk about the cover system was broke . Well its not broke , you just dont know to play Kane & Lynch 2 Remember this , Io-interactic is making games in denmark and we are one of the most expensive state in the world and Io-interactic made 2 games for only 200 mio danish kroner wile squer enix was owertaken Eidos so show them a bit respekt , Io-interactic did not force you to play Kane & Lynch 2
    So you are saying that because I wasn't forced to play this game (got it for free by the way) that I should go easy on it, and not give it a low score? I gave it a 3/10 because that is how I view it, you can agree or disagree with it all you like. Giving Kane & Lynch 2 a low score doesn't reflect my feelings for IO Interactive or Eidos.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast