Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Sly Collection Review

This is a discussion on The Sly Collection Review within the Game Reviews forum, part of the Trophy Guides, Reviews & Articles; The Sly Collection Review by dsluckay Basic Information: Developer: Sucker Punch Productions, Sanzaru Games Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment North American ...

Change is good

by dsluckay

Basic Information:
    Developer: Sucker Punch Productions, Sanzaru Games
    Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment
    North American Release Date: November 9th, 2010
    European Release Date: December 3rd, 2010
    Trophies: Yes

Overview
    The Sly Collection features three best selling games from Sucker Punch remastered in HD. The series started in 2002 and was released for the Playstation 2. These games feature the dynamic group of Sly Cooper, the thief, Bentley, the brain and Murray, the brawn. These three conduct elaborate schemes to pull off heists against some of the biggest crime lords.

Gameplay
    The Sly series is all about stealth, given that Sly Cooper is a world-renowned thief. This means you will need to sneak past many items of security. These usually have lights to show their viewing range. The levels and the games themselves are built around the stealth, so there may be multiple ways to defeat a guard if you're creative. Sly Cooper does stealth well, but it'd be terrible if this was the only thing the games do.

Platforming is another major mechanic used in these games. Like most third-person adventure games, you will need to jump from place to place. Unlike most games though you will need to jump and press another button to actually land on a thin object (wires, poles, etc.). Forgetting to press the button will cause some frustration though, so I'm not sure that was the best way to go about doing this.

Sly 2 and 3 focused partially on vehicular or machine combat. In Sly 3 you actually have to take part in a dog-fight, meaning you get to drive a bi-plane. I found this was on of the more fun moments in these games combined. That being said you have to repeat things in levels a lot. You could tell the formula for levels in Sly 2, first you need to take recon photos, do various jobs to make the heist a breeze and finally; Operation: ____. You need to repeat this process quite a few times.

If Sly 1 had things like this I would have found it a lot more enjoyable. What it is is a rather boring experience.

Sly 1 doesn't do much to surprise us. It's a standard game where you sneak past security, jump around levels and hit guards. It's a linear experience with mini-overworlds if you will that allows you to go to each level in the section. This is changed in Sly 2, you are open to roam the various cities and collect bottles around them. This is a lot better than collecting them during the various levels.

In Sly 1 you only played as Sly Cooper. In Sly 2 and 3, it's focussed more on the entire gang so Bentley and Murray are playable with their own unique jobs and abilities. It's nice that not all levels are stealth oriented when playing as Murray or Bentley since they don't have Sly's thief abilities.

Singleplayer
    Sly 1 and 2 are all about collecting things as the main plot. Sly 1 has Sly trying to acquire each page of the Thievius Raccoonus that his ancestors wrote. It's filled with thief techniques and abilities. In each level of Sly 1 were green clue bottles, which you could collect and ultimately get the combination for a vault. These vaults contain moves and upgrades. You would also gain abilities from collecting the pages of the Thievius Racconus and each one was actually used quite frequently, as a lot of other games contain abilities that are rarely used it was nice to see.

Sly 2 focused on collecting Clockwerk parts, to prevent the evil Clockwerk from being reconstructed. Also much like the first there are clue bottles, but they are instead scattered around each city. They also allow you to open a vault and unlock upgrades. It's much harder in Sly 2 though since you are free to roam the cities and the bottles are scattered all over. You can buy abilities and upgrades with coins collected throughout the game in both Sly 2 and 3.

Sly 3 had something really unique in it that I struggle to see whether it should've been added or not. For one section the gang controls their own pirate ship, and can use cannons to take down others and earn coins. Controlling the ship was difficult, as in turning it. When you defeat a ship, you can either jump on and kill the captain or just sink it entirely, but it was very difficult at times to get the boat lined up enough to be able to jump onto the other ship.

These battles can get pretty intense, but also very frustrating when you are getting hit from ships behind you and you can't turn fast enough.

The Sly games have pretty generic enemies, in each place you will be fighting 2 or 3 different ones and it can get boring, especially in the first. That being said the bosses in each game are each quite unique and fun, and a great example being well, pretty much every boss in Sly 3. It ranges from dog-fighting and brawling with a boss, to protecting your ship from a giant kraken.

Additionally, there are mini-games for the Playstation Move, some of which are unlocked by playing each of the original games. These games are things like target shooting, controlling a helicopter and more. You won't spend much time with these unless you have a kid that loves to play them and want a second player to tag along and compete with them.

Technical
    The graphics and textures in the Sly series are cartoony (cel-shaded), with outlines on everything. It works quite well with the sarcasm and overall feel of the games, just generally directed for younger kids and teenagers. Most of the time I despise cel-shading but it works in Sly.

I have no real problems with the collection in a technical aspect, a small complaint would be that way-points were sometimes on high buildings with only one or two ways to get up to which would cause some backtracking and frustration if you hadn't memorized the area (which I would hope most of you wouldn't).

Trophies
    Each game is quite easy, and is composed of just story-related trophies, some collecting (mainly in Sly 1) and buying things in Sly 2 and 3. There are 3 platinums and there are more than 100 trophies, so if you love trophies (which I would assume most if not all of us do) then I would recommend this collection to you.

Closing Thoughts
    The Sly Collection features three classic games that most people have played on the PS2. I thought the first was mediocre but the second and third (especially the third) make up for it. It's not the best collection and some may get tired of it after the second game, but if you like games like Ratchet and Clank you may like this collection as well.

Gameplay: 8/10
    There's nothing truly wrong with it, just not too creative in terms of combat (in Sly 1, which drags the score down a little). The thief abilities however made platforming quite fun when you remember to press the correct buttons.

Singleplayer: 7/10
    The stories aren't the strongest but some sections in Sly 2 and 3 are very fun to play.

Technical: 7/10
    Like the gameplay, there's nothing wrong with it, but there's nothing extraordinary either. The cartoon graphics work and everything else is done alright.

Overall: 7.5/10
    Last edited by dsluckay; 09-06-2012 at 07:05 PM.

Kiwi Defender

Good review, luck. Personally I always liked the first Sly more than the other two, but I get where you're coming from when you say it's much more linear.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

All out of bubblegum.....

Very nice review, and if i hadnt already bought this trilogy, I'd take your review to heart and go out and buy it. I have Sly 2 and 3 waiting for me when we do the big trophy comp later this year.
    Scogg34's House of Splatter
    Avy/Sig by the Awesome Stupot

illegal in 9 countries

7 is about right.

The games are pretty dull, the characters uninteresting, the combat repetitive, the overall experience dated.

Not classic platformers by any measure, but fun enough to play for a day or two and worthwhile buying or renting for three cheap and easy Plats.

PSN | Steam | XBL | Wii U | 3DS | iOS | OUYA : ant1th3s1s | Checklist of the Year (2012,2013)

Let Me Watch

7.5?! First one of your reviews that I disagree with, deserves much higher.
    Thanks to djunglist for the sig and avy

"A favor for a favor, this d*ck is what I gave her"

Lvl 8 - Gold

good guide iv done 1 and 2 and the 3rd is my 'mid season' game when the good games dry up borderlands 2 and darksiders 2 will be taking up my next month... or 2

Lvl 3 - Bronze

nice one! Sly 1 is not boring though.

BRÜTAL Avy & Sig by dsluckay!

Lvl 4 - Silver

7.5 for the the Sly Collection ? To me, they are better than Ratchet and Clank and Jak series. It gets a 8.5 from me and that is because Sly 3 was shorter and had bad multiplayer. Can't wait for Sly Thieves in Time!

Change is good

Quote Originally Posted by Randy66 View Post
    7.5 for the the Sly Collection ? To me, they are better than Ratchet and Clank and Jak series. It gets a 8.5 from me and because Sly 3 was shorter and had bad multi player.
    Jak and Sly are both good series, but I think Ratchet and Clank is superior. Sly 3 was my favorite of the bunch for it's vehicle sections alone. It changed up the gameplay from the hacko-slasho-button masho a little, and were extremely fun in my eyes.

Lvl 4 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by dsluckay View Post
    Jak and Sly are both good series, but I think Ratchet and Clank is superior. Sly 3 was my favorite of the bunch for it's vehicle sections alone. It changed up the gameplay from the hacko-slasho-button masho a little, and were extremely fun in my eyes.
    Yeah we all have different opinions, but Sly was 1st and Ratchet was 2nd to me because of Sly had a better story. I agree with Sly 3 variety of missions but I wished they made it longer. Ratchet was good too with so many weapons to do with.They are both great games in different ways.

Crocodile Hunter

Great review man

I always thought they were not as good as R&C and J&D personally

Sig by Apokolypz

Lvl 4 - Silver

Jak and Daxter was mix of Ratchet and Sly. It had collectibles and humor from Sly but the humor isn't as funny. It doesn't have as many weapons as Ratchet and Clank. It only had bigger open world from Sly and no loading screens.

*insert Latin phrase*

Nice review, though I disagree with your score. I personally thought the Sly 2 plot was great, everything always went awry, but how was always a mystery that kept me going. Also, you seemed to focus on the pirate ship for all of Sly 3's plot subsection, not going over the gist like the other 2. Other than that good review, but it deserves more to me. Then again, I grew up with these games, so I may or may not have inert bias.

Outdated Plat-bar by ThunderStick, sig by DaRe, avatar by ROBO3AG13
    Click the sig and be whisked away to my checklist (now with updates!)! Or click here to visit my YouTube channel! Vote on my Playstation Grandmasterpiece HERE!

Indie Game Developer

When I played through these games, I thought they were absolutely fantastic. I had never played any of the Sly games when they were on PS2, so playing in HD was the first time I had played the games. I thought the variety of the platforming, the characters, and the level design were all great, and I was so upset that I had missed such gems the first time around. I guess reviews aren't meant to define everyone's experience with a game, but you did review them honestly, so I think it's still a fair opinion.

Nice review.
    Hey. Hey. Look. Look at me. I'm playing video games.

Resident PHD

I personally feel Sly 1 was the best and from what I have played of Sly 4 (the demo and the beta) it feels like they have gone back to the roots (and I am excited for it).

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

Angel of Death

Good review, and definitely a 7. The series is okay, but nothing special to me. I wonder what Sly 4 will be like.

Needs More Rum

Definitely agree with score. Sly 1 is totally boring much prefer 2 and 3 is just ok.

Awesomely awesome sig by Beam
    The Local Drunk's Experience With Trophies

Lvl 2 - Bronze

I first played Sly 1 in a friend's house and I've been very lucky to try it. I suddenly loved it. I bought the collection as soon as it was out... great games! It never gets boring Imho

PS: I prefer it to R&C too and I would give it a 8/10

Toggle Spoiler

Sig and Avy by Wadefan1 *_*

Lvl 6 - Silver

a 7 ... really?!?! I thought they were an excellent series.... and Bentley is rad

Will Love you for Food

Nice review Dsluckay. Agree with the score 100%, good games and an easy 3 platinums. The thing that brings the series down is the repetitiveness of it. It got extremely boring playing the games back to back, because they were all pretty similar and easy to beat in like 2-3 days. Sly 3 takes the cake I would say, because it has more twists and more diverse missions in it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast