Transformers: Fall of Cybertron Review

This is a discussion on Transformers: Fall of Cybertron Review within the Game Reviews forum, part of the Trophy Guides, Reviews & Articles; Transformers: Fall of Cybertron Review by Kid_Loser Basic Information: Developer: High Moon Studios Publisher: Activision North American Release Date: Aug. ...

Kid, not loser

by Kid_Loser

Basic Information:
    Developer: High Moon Studios
    Publisher: Activision
    North American Release Date: Aug. 21st, 2012
    European Release Date: Aug. 24th, 2012
    Trophies: 1/ 2/ 6/ 42

A direct sequel to the 2010 hit, Transformers: War for Cybertron. This time around you will be tasked as playing the Autobots to try and flee their now uninhabitable home world, Cybertron. You will also play as the Decepticons, to have total dominion of the Autobots and to try and stop them from escaping. Now, does this sequel live up and improve upon its predecessor?

Transformers has one the most unique changes in gameplay you will come across in any game. Just as the series is famous for, you can transform at any given moment from a giant robot to a destructive vehicle. Not only is it pure fun to play all the characters in the game, but it is also exciting to find out what each character transforms into, and how strong they are in both forms.

One of the greatest parts of Transformers, is the constant change up of characters you get to play as. In the single player and multiplayer modes, you will constantly be able to switch between playable characters, making it seem almost like a new game every time. Even though the robot forms of most characters seem similar by feeling like a heavy gunman with lack of maneuverability compared to other third person shooters, you still find satisfaction when experiencing a new person’s vehicle form.

Getting to play as some of the most well known Transformers, and seeing some the greatest is one of the best parts of FoC.

The gameplay for FoC is very similar to WfC, but it certainly has improved. The shooting mechanics feel tighter making it even more enjoyable to fire all the weapons. The vehicle forms for all characters have precise controls, making it easy to maneuver where needed. Though, when in robot form, as I stated above, you feel very heavy. This is expected however from a game like this, and rarely detracts from the gameplay. You will play from small to large sized Transformers, although they do differ in the way they feel; ultimately though, every character has a bit of a weighty feel to them making many of the characters feel like the same. A problem I had in the game, was having to quickly turn around at an enemy shooting at me. On harder difficulties, this became even more troublesome and a bit frustrating to deal with as I either died from the enemy or came close to death.

With this being a sequel to WfC, you may feel a little lost as to what is happening at first. However, after playing the game more you will understand what is going on with ease. Also if you’re a fan of the Transformers series at all, it is quite simple to get the story from the get go.

As exciting and awe-inspiring as the campaign gets with its cinematics and gameplay, you do feel a lack of story being told. Most, if not all the story told is very brief and at times only makes sense if you already know the whole storyline of Transformers. Just about every cutscene is either a briefing to a battle you are about to play or an all out battle scene you wish you could just play instead.

The single player portion to the game is fairly short, as it is with most shooters now, but it is definitely the highlight of the whole experience. This time around you will start out playing as the Autobots, and halfway through you will play as the Decepticons with the ending being a fun little mix between the two. Going through the whole campaign you not only get to experience both sides of the battle, but also get the experience of some of the most fun action packed gameplay there is. With many explosions occurring all at once, you leading a major fight, firing off some of the biggest guns, you will see jaw dropping gameplay all the way through.

The biggest highlight of the single player was getting to play as some of the most exciting characters in the Transformers universe. Now, I won’t ruin it by telling you all the characters you get to play as, as you will be surprised they added a few, like I was. There were some you saw that you wish you could play, but it becomes understandable that you can’t. Almost every mission you get to play as a new Transformer, and it only gets more exciting as you progress and find out who you will play next and what their abilities are.

They took out co-op play in the campaign portion this time around which is a little disappointing. Though, playing the game you realize it is a feature that could have perhaps hurt the game from performing at its peak. Overall the single player experience alone is worth the price of the game with many additional features added making it much further ahead of its predecessor and adding much replay ability.

The multiplayer for Transformers returns and it is better in terms of customization and unlocks. Through natural progression you can unlock many more weapons, perks, and even now the new addition to customizing your own Transformer to make him your own. The customization isn’t quite ahead of many other games with their features to change your gear, but it still is a worthy addition that you will be glad was added.

Customization can be fun to experiment with and also lets you express your creative side.

Playing through many of the game modes, it felt all too familiar to me. Yes, I was having a great time playing it and leveling up, but the problem I found with it was that it played exactly like WfC. Not that this is a major problem, but it would have been nicer to see some added gameplay elements besides new maps and unlocks, for that’s all the additions that seemed to be added or are actually worthy to point out. Don’t come playing FoC expecting the next big thing, for you will be disappointed in seeing only a little upgrade of the old thing.

Just like it was in WfC, Escalation mode makes its return this time around as the only co-op mode. Escalation is a survival type mode where there can be up to 4 people fighting off waves of enemies. Just like with the competitive multiplayer portion of the game though, it feels exactly like it did in WfC with even less changes added to it. It is a fun mode that you play and strategize with your friends, but ultimately feels like it was a quick copy and paste add on from WfC.

The color scheme for Transformers and the world of Cybertron can be quite dark and have a heavy gray tint to it at times. Though, with all the explosions happening and many of the Transformers having many colors to differentiate themselves you will see a dull world painted over by rich colors adding much feeling to the battlefield. You forget about the gray and black metal made world in the background and find your focus put on what is being made of it now out the war torn battlefields.

Graphically the game has made a leap forward in terms of the sharpness seen with the character models and the broken architecture. Fire looks like fire, and buildings look just like you would think they would when being destroyed. The metal grinding Transformers are on a whole other level than they were in WfC. Seeing them all in each of their forms as they transform is a unique and fun little site to behold.

As it is with most of the games and movies you still see, you get a sense of nostalgia when hearing the voices of each Transformer. Optimus Prime, Megatron, Starscream and many others sound just as good as you have ever heard them before. Voice actors aside, the sound of the game is actually just a little above subpar. The weapons do sound like they’re different from one another and they certainly have an identity of their own, but explosions and destruction of the whole world and fight scenes all sound the same. It is almost as if it is just recycled sounds used over and over again. This is not a big issue, nor is it a detriment to the gameplay but can be noticeable at times. Some issues I actually had when playing through some levels was that the background noise would cut out and it wouldn’t come back on for a couple of minutes. This happened at some annoying spots where I could not hear the enemy or know exactly where they could be coming from. It was almost as if some of the sounds of the game were halved, making some other sounds like the grinding of metal louder and a little annoying to hear. As I said though, after a couple of minutes it would come back on but this happened more frequently than I would have liked.

Even in the darkness, it is quite easy to see the character models.

Playing through the campaign there was one issue that definitely popped out more than the rest, and that was little pop up loading images in the middle of the mission. This usually happened before something major was about to begin or I made it to a checkpoint. They were about 4 second pauses and not too troublesome, but they did become more annoying as I progressed.

The trophies for FoC are very diverse. You have all you would expect for the single player portion with little collectibles, beat this mission, beat on hard and do this little thing in this mission and other little ones like grinding for energon to buy everything as trophies. For Escalation you must beat all maps up to wave 15 which is pretty easy as you can do it with up to 4 friends and on any difficulty. The competitive multiplayer portion is the true grind, as you must level up all 4 classes all the way. Not only that you need to get an MVP and accomplish some feats in other game modes that can be pretty tricky if you’re on your own and not so good with the mp. You’re looking at a 50 hours plus to achieve platinum, but overall it really shouldn’t be too difficult compared to some others.

If you need help with the trophies, see the Official Trophy Guide by Marccap

Closing Thoughts

Overall, Transformers: FoC is a great fun game that has an awesome single player component. The Muliplayer portion is fun with a few added additions from the first game, but really feels like it is the same thing. If you’re looking for the perfect Transformers game, this really is as close as you will get, and you will be satisfied with the purchase. If you still feel like spending your money on it is going to be a waste, go pick up War for Cybertron, as that one is cheaper and still is a great game that may not be as good, but still will give just about the same mp experience as this one.

Gameplay: 8.5/10
    You will feel like the heaviest guy around when playing it, but that just makes it even greater with how strong you feel playing it. The game offers all around fun for a TPS with non-stop action.

Singleplayer: 8.5/10
    Not the greatest story out there, but you will forget about it and love every second of all its action sequences and its amount of replay ability.

Multiplayer: 7.5/10
    The mp really is fun and it really offers a lot, but it truly is not so different from its predecessor making it seem like a simple copy over with little extras. You can play WfC and get the same amount of satisfaction mp wise.

Technical: 7.5/10
    The game can look great and can even sound great, but there are just little hiccups along the way that are quite annoying.

Overall: 8/10
    Last edited by Kid_Loser; 10-07-2012 at 02:14 PM.

Change is mediocre

Nice review Kid, I've seen and heard good things about this entire series so I may need to try them at some point.

Resident PHD

Very good review and Luck the series is great you should check it out.

Also to all those who would like to play, check out Marccap's thread

Prayer Warrior

i personally didn't like that game as much as the last entry in the series but that's a really nice review and made me rethink some things on how i felt about the game. i may give it another go now because of your review member since April 2009

Fight the Future

The Wind Squid Pub

I've been playing this for the last few days and absolutely love it. I've completed it on Normal and am currently dabbling in the Multiplayer as well as a Hard playthrough and am still enjoying it as much as the first run. It's a very good third person shooter made even better if you're a Transformers fan.

Local Drunk

Nice review, I'll definitely pick this up in the future.

Awesomely awesome sig by Beam & social group bar by DaRe
    The Local Drunk's Experience With Trophies