Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Review

This is a discussion on Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Review within the Game Reviews forum, part of the Trophy Guides, Reviews & Articles; Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Review by dsluckay Basic Information: Developer: Valve, Hidden Path Entertainment Publisher: Valve North American Release Date: August ...

Change is mediocre

by dsluckay

Basic Information:
    Developer: Valve, Hidden Path Entertainment
    Publisher: Valve
    North American Release Date: August 21st, 2012
    European Release Date: TBA
    Trophies: Yes, 1 | 9 | 6 | 3

Overview
    Counter-Strike: Global Offensive is an online first-person shooter and is the fourth instalment into the franchise. Play as either Terrorists or Counter-Terrorist, and work together to defeat the other team. Can Counter-Strike: Global Offensive hold up against such multiplayer giants as Call of Duty?

Gameplay
    The gameplay in CS:GO can either be fast and intense with everyone running all over the map, or slow and steady with your team taking it slow to claim their victory over the others. It's balanced really well between the game modes so that if you like fast and intense action, then Arms Race would be for you, and the other modes would be for the slow and steady people.

Unlike a lot of multiplayer games, teamwork is strongly encouraged in CS:GO. Since health doesn't regenerate and there is no way to gain it back once you lose it, you're gonna want a partner to assist you (or many). This fits into the classic game modes that I'll go into detail about later. Working together with a team, especially if you have a microphone, is very satisfying if pulled off, and if you don't then you may want to tweak your strategy a little. CS:GO definitely gets points for teamwork, since that's how it should be in real life if you are in the military.

Teamwork is extremely important in any mode other than Arms Race. You need a few partners by you if you're planting a bomb.

Small things weren't included in CS:GO like being able to sprint, and aiming down the sights of your weapon (unless there's a scope attached). There were times when I wanted to be able to sprint to get out of tough situations. A small complaint but a complaint nonetheless. Instead of aiming down the sights, crouching is the best option for a smaller crosshair, and opens up a new way to play multiplayer games in general. It teaches you to be slow and accurate. A worthy alternative to a feature that was missing.

Multiplayer
    There aren't many game modes in CS:GO, but the ones that are there are pulled off quite well. If you are familiar with Call of Duty's "Gun Game", then Arms Race will ring a few bells. You start off with a small weapon, then by getting kills you unlock another weapon and you work your way up until you reach the very last weapon, which is a gold knife. The knives take more than one swing to kill someone, so it's a challenge to kill someone with this knife (as it should be, since it's the last weapon in the cycle). As said before, this mode is for people that like the fast and intense gameplay that shooters have to offer.

Next is Demolition, where Terrorists have to plant a bomb on a target, while protecting the bomb-holder and the bomb-site. This mode really encourages teamwork, and dying actually feels like losing, as opposed to Arms Race where you can respawn with the touch of a button. You have to wait for the round to finish before you play again. To get weapons you need to get kills with your current weapon (kind of like Arms Race, but this isn't the point of the mode).

"X" marks the spot. Plant that bomb soldier!

There are also two classic modes, difference being one is more competitive, with friendly fire turned on. These modes feature Hostage Rescue and Bomb Defusal missions. Terrorists are trying to protect the hostages and plant the bombs, while the Counter-Terrorists are trying to rescue the hostages and defuse the bombs. To get weapons, you are awarded money for kills, and other things that you do within the round. You can then use this money at the beginning of the next round for different weapons and equipment. Weapons are pretty much the standard set, you have pistols, sub-machine guns, rifles, snipers, etc. Equipment consists of armor, either full body or pieces, and grenades. If you are doing good then you should have more money, and get a step-up from the other team.

These modes feel very balanced and are just fun to play. If Valve had more time to polish them, I think CS:GO couldn't suffer from a little more variety in the game modes, perhaps adding more to keep players interested. While playing these modes you earn awards, some show up on your "profile" on the leaderboard while playing a game. When you get closer to earning one of these it will tell you.

Technical
    Right off the bat, I feel that the guns are extremely well balanced. If you died, it was your fault for either not looking behind you or you were bested by the other player. No overpowered guns that kill in two seconds, it actually takes time to kill the enemies.

While playing I didn't experience lag (though I'm not sure if that's just me). What I did experience is the loading screen between games would go wonky, showing either green or blue in the background, and the loading bar would go all over. Again, I'm not sure if this was just me or not but I experienced it.

A bigger complaint is that there really aren't many maps. There are certain maps for each game mode, but Arms Race only has two. It would make for a boring time, but it takes longer than usual to get bored because it really is a good game. The rest have 2-3 maps, but there's a large variety between the maps. From an airport baggage station, to a factory it's still a fun time.

In addition to players vs players, if there aren't enough then bots will come into play, and they play like normal players would. They are programmed well and while some may be easier than others, don't expect them to be easy.

Trophies
    The trophies in CS:GO shouldn't take long legit, and even shorter if you play offline with bots. They are good and fun trophies that will make you play your best to try to earn them. Some are easy like shooting an enemy while they are reloading, but others like Bunny Hunt which requires you to kill an enemy while they're in the air can be frustrating. It's good mix and will motivate you a lot.

Closing Thoughts
    Overall, CS:GO is a great game that I think most, if not all FPS-lovers will enjoy. There are only minor problems with the game, and they are greatly overruled by everything good and fun about it. There's lots of fun to be had with Counter-Strike: Global Offensive.

Gameplay: 9/10
    I'm one that loves fast games, so playing Arms Race was a complete joy. Everything else just adds to the fun.

Multiplayer: 9/10
    There isn't much variety between modes, but they are fun nonetheless. Earning money to buy guns feels satisfying, and that you are part of a squad for reals.

Technical: 8/10
    Minor hiccups hold back the score, there aren't many maps and that's my biggest complaint.

Overall: 9/10
    Last edited by dsluckay; 09-08-2012 at 05:04 PM.

Angel of Death

I got the automatic 60 minute trial thing, and was not impressed. It felt odd to me; not a fan. Good review though.

Death is Awaiting....

Great review DS. I thought the game was absolutely fucking awesome.. but then again that's just me. I definitely agree with the score.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sig by Achantion

PRO Member

Still pissed off and waiting for the EU PSN release of this. But time on the PC version is what my opinion is based on

The only areas I disagree with you are where if they were changed, it'd be changing the core experience of playing counter-strike. Such as where you mention it'd be good to include a sprint button, if you wanna move quicker then you pull out your knife or secondary gun.

You said "Call of Duty's gun game" even though my first experience of it was a custom game mode on counter strike: source, a long time before the first CoD gun game

And where you mention the lack of variety in maps, I'm sure it's pretty much eight classic maps for the classic gamemodes and eight new ones for the new ones?

But hell, atleast it supports custom maps and mods, right? :stare:

Also

the fourth instalment into the franchise
    Huh?

Counter-Strike (Up to 1.6)
    Counter-Strike: Source
    Counter-Striker: Global Offensive

--

Anyway, I'm done being an ass good review outside of those points, Luck

PRO Member

In a multiverses of different bodies and souls

Great review, man. I'm not going to pick it up, but it does look promising....

Change is mediocre

Quote Originally Posted by Curse View Post
    Still pissed off and waiting for the EU PSN release of this. But time on the PC version is what my opinion is based on

The only areas I disagree with you are where if they were changed, it'd be changing the core experience of playing counter-strike. Such as where you mention it'd be good to include a sprint button, if you wanna move quicker then you pull out your knife or secondary gun.

You said "Call of Duty's gun game" even though my first experience of it was a custom game mode on counter strike: source, a long time before the first CoD gun game

And where you mention the lack of variety in maps, I'm sure it's pretty much eight classic maps for the classic gamemodes and eight new ones for the new ones?

But hell, atleast it supports custom maps and mods, right? :stare:

Also

Huh?

Counter-Strike (Up to 1.6)
    Counter-Strike: Source
    Counter-Striker: Global Offensive

--

Anyway, I'm done being an ass good review outside of those points, Luck
    Thank you, appreciate it.

It's the fourth instalment counting Condition Zero.

And I'm sure most people that play Global Offensive haven't played the older ones, and I know many people have played Call of Duty so I used it as an example.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by dsluckay View Post
    Thank you, appreciate it.

It's the fourth instalment counting Condition Zero.

And I'm sure most people that play Global Offensive haven't played the older ones, and I know many people have played Call of Duty so I used it as an example.
    Ah, I don't count Condition Zero, aha

It makes me really sad to have to agree that people will be buying GO without ever having experienced the older ones

Change is mediocre

Ah, I don't count Condition Zero, aha

It makes me really sad to have to agree that people will be buying GO without ever having experienced the older ones
    I bet many people didn't know it was created from a mod of Half-Life that Valve bought rights to either.

Administrator

Sprint = changing to your knife or pistol.

Good game, worth the $15. I just wish the aiming was a little more smoother. Otherwise pretty well and I would give a 9/10. Don't pass t up

#cutformesa

Quote Originally Posted by dsluckay View Post
    I bet many people didn't know it was created from a mod of Half-Life that Valve bought rights to either.
    I remember playing that over LAN with my dad in like, third or fourth grade. Good memories.

Current Playthrough Counts:
    Mass Effect: 25 || Mass Effect 2: 44
    Mass Effect 3: 15
    Add me for ME3 multiplayer shenanigans.
    First legit Mass Effect 3 100% on PS3T.

SERBIA STRONG

Thanks to Luckay for the ETGWG bar and avy, and Qurb for the sig!

PRO Member

I enjoyed reading your review, but I'm not a fan of the game, not on my platinum list

People fear what they can't understand, hate what they can't conquer

PRO Member

So they've made it real team based, no health regen etc, so it's all more realistic... BUT then you cant aim down the sight?? What the shit is that about *sigh*

Kid, not loser

Great review man. I really enjoyed the game when I bought it, especially with how easy the trophies were just rolling in with natural play

Thanks to Bladia for the amazing Sig and Avy.

Crocodile Hunter

Nice review man, ill have to pick it up at one point

Sig by Apokolypz

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Curb View Post
    I remember playing that over LAN with my dad in like, third or fourth grade. Good memories.
    I had the same with my brothers, good times!

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisValentine View Post
    So they've made it real team based, no health regen etc, so it's all more realistic... BUT then you cant aim down the sight?? What the shit is that about *sigh*
    They didn't make it like that, they kept it that way to stay true to the tried and tested formula thats been good for over 10 years. Changing stuff like that would begin to take away the essence of how the game is

Lvl 2 - Bronze

They didn't make it like that, they kept it that way to stay true to the tried and tested formula thats been good for over 10 years. Changing stuff like that would begin to take away the essence of how the game is
    But when it comes to COD everyone says that every year they make the same game...

Anyway I think the only things different from COD are the "hostage rescue" mode, the way you take weapons and the way you sprint. Not enough to spend $15 or whatever it will cost in Europe

Toggle Spoiler

Sig and Avy by Wadefan1 *_*

Change is mediocre

Quote Originally Posted by Tusca96 View Post
    But when it comes to COD everyone says that every year they make the same game...

Anyway I think the only things different from COD are the "hostage rescue" mode, the way you take weapons and the way you sprint. Not enough to spend $15 or whatever it will cost in Europe
    There isn't an annual Counter Strike release though, and usually with Valve they won't take or add in things that would take away from the original if they aren't needed.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tusca96 View Post

lol, you mean the other way around, right? The game-modes have been within CS long before they were introduced in CoD.

And that's because they do make the same game every year, the only selling point now is zombies

PRO Member

Really??? I thought they had the iron sights etc????? Christ, shows that I'm drinking too much... I mean, how long ago I played it on PC..............

Go Blue Jackets!!

the game is to hard for me to play honestly haha I'll stick with homefront :p

nice review though, it was easy to read.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast