Trinity: Souls of Zill O'll Official Review

This is a discussion on Trinity: Souls of Zill O'll Official Review within the Game Reviews forum, part of the Trophy Guides, Reviews & Articles; Trinity: Souls of Zill O'll Official Review by NeroRadec707 Basic Information Developer: Omega Force Publisher: Tecmo Koei North American Release ...

Harvester of Souls

by NeroRadec707

Basic Information

Developer: Omega Force
    Publisher: Tecmo Koei
    North American Release Date: February 8, 2011
    European Release Date: February 11, 2011
    Trophies:

Overview

Trinity: Souls of Zill O'll is an action hack-and-slash RPG developed by Omega Force and is the latest installment in the Zill O'll series. This game, however, takes place several years before the events from the other games in the storyline. You take the role of Areus, a half elf/half human fighter, and join teams with two other unique characters in a quest for revenge and glory.

Gameplay
    Trinity: Souls of Zill O'll is your typical hack and slash RPG. You control a full party of three members, Areus, Dagda, and Selene, each who possess their own move sets and attacks as well as special unlockable abilities. You can chain each attacks together by tapping buttons to switch between them and rush into a new attack that will momentarily stun most enemies. This helps to keep your attacks going, especially if you are about to get hit by an enemy's attack, you can switch off to keep your momentum going and let the computer handle the hit.

Also, you are capable of performing a powerful move, known as a trinity attack when your "trinity" meter is full. This is an extremely deadly attack that combines all three of your parties attacks into one and unleashes it on the group of enemies surrounding you. The trinity meter will fill as you do attacks and chain together combos. At times, along with your trinity attack, you can break enemies by attacking them just right and building up the break meter, which appears as you strike them. This proves very effective on bosses and will generally be how you need to defeat most of the larger enemies in the game.

"Hey, get down from there!!!"

For the majority of the game, you will do fetch sidequests, gathering random items and traveling back and forth from towns and dungeons facing off against a number of fantasy enemies, such as goblins, harpies, trolls, dragons, and many more different beasts. You will face several special "boss" enemies throughout too, these being bigger dragons, griffons, giants, etc. During these fights, you will locate various loot and new gear to equip and customize your party to better face these monsters and survive.

As stated previously, each character has their own array of attacks and abilities. Areus, is your typical sword wielding melee fighter but also uses several fire magic spells and some devastating late game abilities such as meteor, which summons down several meteors to the earth dealing damage to all enemies affected. Selene will be your quick, agile rogue type fighter on the team and uses daggers for precise strikes. She's also capable of double jumping to reach new hidden areas in some dungeons and assist the party with her special abilities. Dagda is your heavy hitting brute and will generally be there to tank and take the majority of enemies strikes. He has more ground based - close range moves and abilities that are generally slower but very powerful.

Angry, pissed off brute twirling fire around just looks like a bad idea.

Trinity: Souls of Zill O'll doesn't offer anything new in terms of progressive or groundbreaking gameplay, but is a fun experience for most fans of RPGs. The combat and controls are spot on and work very effectively, however, could seem like a grind and dull later on in the game for those that get really bored easily. The customization is fun too and there are a number of hidden mini-games to experience and play through out as well.

Singleplayer
    The game opens up and doesn't really explain much about the story, rather tells you of some random war and some crazy messed up prophecy of the emperor in charge. Then, the game throws you in control of a random half elf guy named Areus, who is training to be a gladiator. As time progresses, you learn of his mission to stop the emperor and about his quest for revenge that leads him to meet Selene and Dagda who come to support his cause.

We're off to see the Wizard, the wonderful wizard of Balor? Sorry, wrong movie. I wouldn't mess with these guys though.

The opening could of been a bit better story wise, however, the overall tale of the game is very nice and a fun experience. I was constantly wanting to complete it and help the characters in their missions, but seemed there was always something that left them one step behind. It definitely kept me playing and wanting to experience the entire story. There are alot of points where it throws you on lame fetch missions or you have nothing to do aside from a few optional missions that some how lead back into the story. Be prepared for this and don't let it get you discouraged or drawn away too much from the story.

Also, keep in mind that you have free roam to explore any dungeons and cities that you have open, but you can't go to many new places until you have spoken to someone to learn of the locations or reach specific points in the storyline of the game. This leads to another drawback in Trinity in that you view everything from a map of the world and select which towns you enter and dungeons you go to. The dungeons are very nice the first few times inside, but don't change too much between one another aside from a few that are unique.

Towns and cities you enter are created very poorly as you only have dialogue boxes to choose what you can do and say, rather than being capable of walking through them to interact with the denizens within. This takes away from the game a little bit too and can be very boring, especially when most of the NPCs aren't saying anything you care to hear and you just want to get back to killing things.

Prepare to see alot of screens like this on your map to select places in the world.

Technical
    From a technical standpoint, the game is very average. It doesn't bring anything really exciting or new to the table in terms of other RPGs out there such as Skyrim or Dark Souls. Graphically it's a very unique game in that it uses a washed painting element instead of cel-shading or a realistic factor. You can enjoy the environments and scenery but it can look a bit dull at times. The creators stuck with the "if it ain't broken, then don't fix it" regard which doesn't bother me at all and I enjoy the graphics style of the game.

Example of the "washed" painting graphics style of Trinity: Souls of Zill O'll

Also, there aren't any notable glitches or frame rate problems so you have no worries in that regard. In this game, the controls are very fluid and responsive so that is a plus. Each of the sound bits are very nicely done and the dialogue fits in as well. Trinity will probably be remembered for the fitting background music and it's soundtrack. It's a very structured game, but just doesn't do anything to go out of it's way to stand out.

Trophies
    All of the trophies in Trinity have you discover most everything the game has to offer. You have quite a few grinding trophies to reach max level along with facing each hidden boss and zone in the game. This can be slightly challenging, but at higher levels you will be able to manage them. Nearly all of the trophies will be acquired from random exploring and the story mode. There aren't any missable trophies either so you can play ever how you like with minimal worries.

Closing Thoughts
    This will definitely be a very underrated RPG of it's time as it didn't get alot of hype or presentation time. If you should happen across it, prepare for a few of it's flaws and if you can live with them, you will love the game. Otherwise, you may be slightly bored and might want to pass it by for a time. Graphically, Trinity: Souls is rather washed and old looking, being reminiscent of a PS2 game, but this is due to the painting art style implemented. The sound quality is really good and the game has a magnificent sound track as well to listen to that fits with the story and battles. Combat and killing your enemies will be where this game shines and will either suck you in, or leave you desiring more elsewhere. Once you get drawn into the story, past the gladiator fights and random fetching, you may find a very awesome experience. Though the game overall is a bit generic.. it definitely has alot to offer if you invest your time into it.

Gameplay: 8/10
    Very nice and solid gameplay. Fun fights and combat, however nothing new to offer or bring to the table.

Singleplayer: 8/10
    This is a very time consuming game with a great story, though it may feel slightly generic, it still has alot of feeling and emotion involved and will keep you wanting more. Some fetch quests and bits that will distract you from the overall story, but just push through this to ultimately enjoy the experience.

Technical: 7.5/10
    Technically sound game, with a good soundtrack, but mediocre graphics. Controls function very nicely and the game contains no major glitching or framerate problems.

Overall: 8/10
    Last edited by Nagflar; 09-26-2012 at 07:23 PM.

Kiwi Defender

Great review, nero. Might check this out someday, those graphics look rather interesting afterall .

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Kid, not loser

Great review man I remember being real interested in this game when it was announced awhile back. Glad to see it's pretty good, I'll have to check how much it is next time I stop at a store.

Thanks to Bladia for the amazing Sig and Avy.

Lvl 5 - Silver

Good job dude . For me this was a game that the more I played it the more I enjoyed it, it had its grinds sure. It was one of those plats when i first started i didnt expect to get, but after completing game was very glad I did, and felt i defiantly got my moneys worth.

Lvl 10 - Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by I_Nero_I View Post
    Good job dude . For me this was a game that the more I played it the more I enjoyed it, it had its grinds sure. It was one of those plats when i first started i didnt expect to get, but after completing game was very glad I did, and felt i defiantly got my moneys worth.
    I didn't think I would get the plat either but I got deathly sick and all I did was play this game and I loved every minute of it. I remember playing the demo and I loved how the scorpions looked especially when they came out of the sand I thought that was very cool. It went down to $20 at EB Games but I decided to buy Earth Defense Force instead for $5 and passed on Trinity Souls of Zill O'll and I regretted my descision not because the other game was terrible cause it certainly isn't on any aspect but I just wanted to play the other game so bad so I went back later that week and the game dropped an extra 5 bucks so it was like getting the other game for free. If anyone has doubts about this game you can download the demo and try it for yourself it's pretty linear but still very fun in my opinion.

Great review and I agree an everything including the score.

Harvester of Souls

See I never even knew there was a demo for it. I just happened to see the game, and was like OH that looks really fun. So I bought it thinking it had co-op play and the review I read for it said it did.... I was wrong, BUT still I really really enjoyed this game a great deal. . I tried to point out flaws people may find, but alot of it didn't affect me at all, I just love RPGs, especially this type. Sorry the review is rather old now, but I felt we really needed to get one out for this game so everyone may experience it and get some publicity.

Thank you everyone .

HOSTED BY GREAT DAZE TAZER!!!!! COME JOIN THE MAYHEM!!!

Guide Bar Created by Ds_luckay

Lvl 6 - Silver

sounds good... I'll give it a go

★ Extra Astronomical ★

Wow I've never heard of this game before and it looks like something I'd enjoy. Downloading the demo now

DON'T BLINK

One of my "rarer" plats in my collection. And by rarer I mean all my friends going "What in the hell is that? I've never heard of that game." And I tell every single one of em they don't know what they are missing.

( thanks djunglist for this awesome GDT sig)

Harvester of Souls

Glad to know a few people are checking this out now . it's definitely a really fun game and my lady even liked how it seemed at first, though she's stuck on playing Dragon Age for a bit . Playing older games so it happens.

Definitley try out the demo and/or the real game. . Definitely worth it in my opinion .

HOSTED BY GREAT DAZE TAZER!!!!! COME JOIN THE MAYHEM!!!

Guide Bar Created by Ds_luckay

That Southern B****

To me, this is one of those gems that got pushed to the back of the drawer thanks to not enough publicity and bigger games over shadowing it. I love this game and wish I owned it. I was so emersed into the game that at the end I was in tears xD

As for graphics, take a look at Neir. The graphics aren't up to current "standards" on excellence but that game rocked too. Just goes to show you should never judge a book by its cover or, in this case, a game by the way the colored it
    Last edited by Coug; 09-28-2012 at 01:20 PM. Reason: grammar
    Hitmon133: "Today's passage is taken from the Book of Coug. Chapter 56, Verse 46. >.>"

Epic Banner by Fawst <3

Toggle Spoiler

Lvl 10 - Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by NeroRadec707 View Post
    See I never even knew there was a demo for it. I just happened to see the game, and was like OH that looks really fun. So I bought it thinking it had co-op play and the review I read for it said it did.... I was wrong, BUT still I really really enjoyed this game a great deal. . I tried to point out flaws people may find, but alot of it didn't affect me at all, I just love RPGs, especially this type. Sorry the review is rather old now, but I felt we really needed to get one out for this game so everyone may experience it and get some publicity.

Thank you everyone .
    I don't know if the demo is available for all regions but I usually check out what the demos are for that week and if it's a game I haven't heard to much about and isn't on my radar then I'll download it and from day one I loved the feel of the game.