Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Burnout Paradise Review

This is a discussion on Burnout Paradise Review within the Game Reviews forum, part of the Trophy Guides, Reviews & Articles; 40 Comments and no mention of it being an ancient game As much as I hate people mentioning only the ...

PRO Member

40 Comments and no mention of it being an ancient game

As much as I hate people mentioning only the scores, I really do disagree with what you've gave the game. At the time of release, I'd have probably gave this game a 9.5/10, gameplay does the job perfectly, the soundtrack is brilliant, party game modes are a laugh, and the singleplayer was too fun to be stale in my eyes.

However, considering that the game is soon to be five years old, to still get a seven out of ten from (I'm guessing) someone new to playing the game that's pretty impressive in my eyes. I'd imagine that the online modes are dead now, which is a real shame, it was one of the first games I played on the PS3 in a big party and we had a right laugh. The next burnout will undoubtedly be fantastic

Lvl 4 - Silver

Watched some reviews of it and it looks fun. I never played an open world racer but this might be my 1st.
    Sucker Punch and Guerrilla Games
    Are awesome

Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by Curse View Post

As much as I hate people mentioning only the scores, I really do disagree with what you've gave the game. At the time of release, I'd have probably gave this game a 9.5/10, gameplay does the job perfectly, the soundtrack is brilliant, party game modes are a laugh, and the singleplayer was too fun to be stale in my eyes.

However, considering that the game is soon to be five years old, to still get a seven out of ten from (I'm guessing) someone new to playing the game that's pretty impressive in my eyes. I'd imagine that the online modes are dead now, which is a real shame, it was one of the first games I played on the PS3 in a big party and we had a right laugh. The next burnout will undoubtedly be fantastic
    Same here! People were comparing too many of the newer games that the review seemingly dropped... A lot of the other racing type games that come out nowadays cannot even compare to Burnout Paradise. Heck, this game is really at a new level, personally.
    Please NO Blank Friend Requests, otherwise I will simply ignore them.

PSN: Doksuri

PRO Member

Easily my favorite driving game this gen. And that's after having a bad taste in my mouth from the PSN store, reducing the price from $30 to $20 only a few hours after I bought it. And to top it off...it was the only birthday present I got that year, which I bought with my own money...*forever alone* (and no, I'm not exaggerating...this actually happened)

Yeah, so this game and all DLC for only $20 is a retardedly good deal. Anyone remotely interested in pressing buttons needs to play this game.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Disagree too and nothing truly great under technical? It might look a little cartoony, maybe a little dated since this game out at the start of 2008 but it's an open world driving/racing game runs at a solid 60FPS with no slow down and there's not even a mention when it's still a big deal, that alone should bump the technical score up another point or two, can't think of any other open world racing game that accomplished that even after nearly five years.

I had a ton of fun just driving around exploring smashing through billboards and gates along the way. I do wish there was more that could've been done though and I'll even agree that it got a bit repetitive but even still given the genre that's to be expected. Had no problems with any of the modes though. BP was my second Platinum. 9/10. Not to mention you could get the bundle for relatively cheap and random people online could be a big pain in the ass which is why to me it's not a 10/10.. There's a reason this game is still fairly alive online after all this time..

Anyway, NFS:MW2012 comes out in just over a week and for all intended purposes it's the spiritual successor to BP with a lot of NFS thrown in. Can't wait, got it pre-ordered and it's, gonna be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Curse View Post

Actually, last I checked the online was still doing fairly well, I imagine the sales on the game+DLC bundles helped that a bit. But holy hell after moving on to other, newer racing games (including Criterion's Hot Pursuit) and then back to BP recently, it was overwhelming for a bit and took getting use to due to the game's sense of speed and high frame rate.

EDIT: Holy crap! Just saw that Amazon currently has the PCDD version of the BP Ultimate Box with all DLC for $5 and a bundle that also includes Hot Pursuit 2010 for only $8. *Head explodes* There's others too but who cares about them?
    Last edited by PHOENIXZERO; 10-21-2012 at 07:13 AM.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I don't agree with this review at all,
    I have been playing this game for years and it never got boring.

#cutformesa

Despite this being a very old review I want to give my 0.02 on things as I find there are a few misleading things mentioned, and as I'm very fond of BP I feel I should 'correct' a few of them. Sorry ds

"The problem I had with these different cars is that each class is specifically directed for certain events, meaning you will have to switch cars each time you want to do an event"

This isn't necessarily correct. Your opponent racers are tailored to the car you are using, so whether you're using a light speed car or a heavy rage car the computer will adjust those you're racing to be more appropriate. The idea of having to switch to a new car for a new 'race' type is also incorrect. I did the majority of the game using the same stunt car as they're the most versatile. True is you're using a speed car and about to do a road rage then it would probably be best practise to switch to a different car type but it isn't necessary as the event is still completely do-able with a speed car only it will be more difficult.

"Unfortunately there isn't a feature to customize your own car, which would've been a great feature to include."

It's been a while since I played but iirc technically you can customise your car by changing the colour scheme. While it's not the customisablility that you'd find in earlier NFS games it's still an option

"In Burnout Paradise, you complete events to earn marks on your license until you earn a Burnout license. That's pretty much it. This would work in theory, if there weren't only four different events total, and you didn't have to change your car class to successfully do each one"

Mentioned above, it's not necessary to change your car for each event to 'win

"It's also tedious to have to bring up your map every 10 seconds to see if your still on the right track or not."

I think it should be mentioned here that while you're not given an explicit route to take (as in other roads are blocked off) you are presented with an indicator at the top of the screen which will direct you to take a turn if it is the best suited to get to your destination. This is simply a flashing street sign on the centre left or centre right of the screen at the top that will persuade you to take this turn as it will get you to the finish line quickest. If you miss the turn they the game will recalculate the best route and let you know when you should take the next turn if any. So it's not you just blindly driving through the city / outskirts trying to find the finish line, of which there are actually only 8 places in which you can in fact finish a race so you will get to the point where you recognise certain parts of the city and can make your own way to the finish line without using any guides.

"The problem with this though is that the host has to activate it, meaning if the host doesn't want to then you have no access to them whatsoever. The best thing to do is host your own game to do them, but they're only such a small feature so I wouldn't bother."

True for the most part but completing some freeburn challenges is required for and there are also some specific ones that need to be completed. While they are a small feature they're still quite necessary, and as you said hosting your own game is the best for completing them. For some challenges though it'd be best to organise a boosting group as there's always one eejit who will mess things up otherwise.

"The soundtrack is quite good and add to the cinematic act of smashing through cars on a freeway, especially when Paradise City (the theme song) plays."

It could also have been mentioned that BP is one of the few games that allows you to use your own music as the soundtrack. Any and all music stored on your PS3 system is available to use as a custom playlist through the easydrive menu.

All in all I think this is a decent review but you just skimmed over a few things a bit too much. I loved the game and regard it as one of my favourite games this generation if not all time so I'd definitely rate it higher but you've argued your case for your scores well enough for me to not contest them

- PS3T OG -
    All Hail The Eyepat
    "If I find out that LeeMcD slags my good name off to anyone else I will personally track him down and teach the little puff a lesson." - LEE200

The One and Only

Can't say I completely agree with the review, but still, nice review!

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist back in contruction!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop with knuckle and Bladia, currently taking requests!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123