Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Burnout Paradise Review

This is a discussion on Burnout Paradise Review within the Game Reviews forum, part of the Trophy Guides, Reviews & Articles; Burnout Paradise Review by dsluckay Basic Information: Developer: Criterion Games Publisher: Electronic Arts North American Release Date: January 22nd, 2008 ...

Change is good

Burnout Paradise Review

Burnout Paradise Review
    by dsluckay

Basic Information:
    Developer: Criterion Games
    Publisher: Electronic Arts
    North American Release Date: January 22nd, 2008
    European Release Date: January 25th, 2008
    Trophies: Yes, 1 | 2 | 10 | 38

Overview
    Burnout Paradise continues the wildly popular Burnout series through a trip on the PS3 side of gaming. It's set in the fictional city of Paradise City, and lets you, the player, roam free in it to do basically whatever you like while driving a car.

Gameplay
    Burnout Paradise greatly influences you to roam Paradise City and do whatever you want. You can do a vast number of things; like smashing through billboards or finding shortcuts. You can set "Road Rules" where you drive the full length of the road in record time, or do a "Showtime" (which used to be called Crash Mode in previous Burnout titles). Showtime lets you crash your car, and hit other vehicles to rack up points, or rather damage costs. The bigger the vehicle, the more money gets added to your damage cost counter. Also, hitting buses gives you a +1x multiplier. This mode is extremely fun and I'm glad it was kept in and improved.

There are many different vehicles that can be unlocked, each are in a certain class. There's Stunt cars, which are for, you guessed it, stunts. It's the most efficient way to earn boost (which greatly increases your vehicle's speed, and is displayed with a bar in the HUD) to perform stunts. There's Aggression cars if you're in to taking down and ramming other cars. Lastly there's the Speed class of cars. This are obviously the fast set of cars, they are also weak. The problem I had with these different cars is that each class is specifically directed for certain events, meaning you will have to switch cars each time you want to do an event. And anything but the Speed class I had a hard time with, usually with the handling. The turning on most other cars are slow and frustrating, especially when you get rammed and do a 180 degree spin.

The Super Jump, quite fun to pull off.

Playing Burnout Paradise means you're in for a fast-paced adventure, all you need is the right car for you. You unlock cars by finding them and taking them down (when prompted that there's a driver in Paradise City. You can tell they are "drivers" when they drive fast and dangerously around the city). You can also get them from completing the various events around Paradise City.

Unfortunately there isn't a feature to customize your own car, which would've been a great feature to include. If you unlocked skill points after each event and were able to upgrade your car, I would've fallen in love. This is a great idea for a future Burnout title though, and hopefully gets implemented sooner rather than later.

Singleplayer
    In Burnout Paradise, you complete events to earn marks on your license until you earn a Burnout license. That's pretty much it. This would work in theory, if there weren't only four different events total, and you didn't have to change your car class to successfully do each one. First, there's the classic Race event. A free roam race that lets you choose your own path to get to the finish line. Again, this would work in theory but when the game is designed to make you crash a lot, and you have to get somewhere you're gonna be far more than angry. Sure flying through the air while you look back at the chaos you just caused is fun when you don't have somewhere to get to. But you do! It's also tedious to have to bring up your map every 10 seconds to see if your still on the right track or not.

You may want to get used to this.

There's also Road Rage, an event that has you try to take out a set amount of vehicles before the time runs out. It's a fun event but lacks inspiration, because all you do is make others crash and avoid crashing yourself. Stunt Run is another type of event. You need to pull off jumps and other tricks to get the highest score possible. I wasn't fond of this as I would always have to change my car from speed to stunt, as I also had to do with Road Rage (from speed to aggression) because, like I said before, the speed cars have the best handling. Marked Man is the final event type. All it has you do is get from point A to point B without being taken down by men in black...cars. There's not much to say about this event because there isn't much to it.

All in all it's more fun to explore Paradise City, while doing the events every so often. This drags the game on though and you will probably get sick of grinding out each event just to upgrade your license. I wish there was more to the game than this, but there really isn't.

Multiplayer
    The multiplayer has a drop-in drop-out online feature, that lets you go online wherever you are in Paradise City with a mini-menu pop-up that you can access while driving. This type of feature was a good add to a game such as this, as people don't want to stop what they're doing, exit, then go play online in a free roam game.

Multiplayer is essentially singleplayer with more people. The differences are though that you can compete for Road Rules, and can complete Freeburn Challenges. Freeburn Challenges have to be activated by the host of the game, and require each player to complete them. Basically, they are mini challenges such as "Drift for 500m". Once every player has done so you will have completed it. The problem with this though is that the host has to activate it, meaning if the host doesn't want to then you have no access to them whatsoever. The best thing to do is host your own game to do them, but they're only such a small feature so I wouldn't bother.

Technical
    The graphics make the cars look sleek and clean, which I really enjoyed. The soundtrack is quite good and add to the cinematic act of smashing through cars on a freeway, especially when Paradise City (the theme song) plays. The crash animations are gorgeous. You really see the spark of Burnout Paradise when you car's rusty carcass is mangled and broken after giving the soccer mom in the mini-van the worst day of her life. But there really isn't much to it, if you get a good speed car the driving is nice and smooth, but when you pick a tough aggression car the driving is clunky and irritating. My best advice is to choose whatever type of vehicle that suits your play style. You'll have less broken controllers that way.

Being an ass is even more fun when doing it to others!

Trophies
    The trophies aren't that hard, but require some dedication. Mainly with just acquiring the Burnout license. Most trophies can be obtained by just freely playing the game and having fun, which is always a good thing.

Closing Thoughts
    Burnout Paradise has a great concept, but I found myself get bored after playing it too long. Unless you create the fun yourself, you certainly won't have fun grinding all of the events that are found in Paradise City (unless you're one that likes doing the same things over and over, in which case carry on).

Gameplay: 9/10
    It does what it tries to do perfectly, and is fun to just drive around Paradise City.

Singleplayer: 6/10
    Can get boring fast, with nothing really there to do but events and small things that don't matter much scattered around the city.

Multiplayer: 7/10
    Fun can be had while crashing into other players, or doing Freeburn Challenges and Road Rules, but it's more of what the singleplayer game was.

Technical: 8/10
    Nothing wrong with it, but nothing truly great except for the crash sequences.

Overall: 7/10
    Last edited by dsluckay; 10-07-2012 at 06:36 PM.

Kiwi Defender

Nice review, Luck. Never been too fond of Burnout, but it's nice to hear it's still an entertaining game.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

September MotM 2013

Nice review DS and i totally agree

Sig & Avy by Dare /#KILLER_ 4 Gotham (TV Show)

Lvl 9 - Gold

Played this when i had PS+ i still prefered burnout takedown from the Ps2.

I agree probably would of given it a 6 instead of 7 though.

#cutformesa

What happened to the original review?

Current Playthrough Counts:
    Mass Effect: 25 || Mass Effect 2: 44
    Mass Effect 3: 15
    Add me for ME3 multiplayer shenanigans.
    First legit Mass Effect 3 100% on PS3T.

SERBIA STRONG

Thanks to Luckay for the ETGWG bar and avy, and Qurb for the sig!

Administrator

I liked the game, suprised they haven't followed it up with a newer release of the same since it seemed to be a well liked game.

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by Curb View Post
    What happened to the original review?
    I couldn't find it, so approved the making of this one. If you can find it and prove I suck at searching (because I do ), please do so .

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Breakpoint View Post
    I liked the game, suprised they haven't followed it up with a newer release of the same since it seemed to be a well liked game.
    See Need For Speed: Most Wanted (2012).

I liked this review. The gameplay is definitely a 10 for me (the free-roam is amazing) but the singleplayer does get drawn out. The multiplayer is annoying with a lot of people being trolls. As for technical... I thought it was pretty well done. The cars can be a challenge to handle from time to time, but yeah, so would other things going at 300 MPH or something XD

Fair review tho, nice job

Synthwave <3

Nice review, but I'd give it a 10/10 personally! This is one of my favorite games and is perfect for people who aren't good at really technical racing games (like me lol).

Sig by PixieofDarkness
    Platbar by djunglist

My trophy checklist

Latest :

The Last of Us

#cutformesa

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    I couldn't find it, so approved the making of this one. If you can find it and prove I suck at searching (because I do ), please do so .
    Just as long as there was one and I'm not imagining things, that's okay haha. I don't have access to the archives anymore anyway

Current Playthrough Counts:
    Mass Effect: 25 || Mass Effect 2: 44
    Mass Effect 3: 15
    Add me for ME3 multiplayer shenanigans.
    First legit Mass Effect 3 100% on PS3T.

SERBIA STRONG

Thanks to Luckay for the ETGWG bar and avy, and Qurb for the sig!

Kid, not loser

Nice review here DS I personally loved the game more when it came out. I thought it had the best soundtrack in a game ever.

Thanks to Bladia for the amazing Sig and Avy.

Lvl 5 - Silver

Great review, personal opinion i loved this game so much and that made it so much sweeter when i got that the plat for it, one of my favourite games and plats to get

Retired

Nice review, although it's a definite 10/10 for me.

The Site Mascot

Nice review, I have to say Paradise is my least favorite Burnout game. Compared to Takedown or even Revenge or Point of Impact it wawsn't as awesome as it should have been.

Avater and signature created by my Best Friend and brotha DaRe_xLw
    Aqua's Furry Adventures Through Time and Space.

PRO Member

It is one of my favourite game this gen. I got during my whoring days, mainly because it is an easy plat. I just couldn't put the controller down, it was great fun. I love Criterion because of this game. I would give it a 9 though even feeling a bit dated nowadays.

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

Great game, Burnout Takedown may be the greatest smash and crash racer ever but the ideas added in Paradise ( including custom soundtrack, which i love in a game ) make this a close second for me.

Also have to say i found little frustration outside some online MP which was odd because racing games usually irritate the beejesus outta me.

Definitely my favourite racing game of this generation.

Hunter-Scholar-Gentleman

Strong review dsluckay. Agree with everything you said; the only thing that I disliked about Burnout Paradise was the fact I could never take part in the multiplayer. Only game that would not work, no matter how much time I spent fixing my firewall settings etc. Aside from lacking the ability to crash and destroy human players as opposed to AI, fun game. Probably the most bang for your buck in terms of trophies - there's only 90 of 'em.

The Road So Far And The Road Ahead
    `2nd place Trophy Checklist (2013)
    `Checklist Spotlight #2 Winner (2014)

Currently Playing
    `NFS Rivals [64%]
    `Diablo 3: Ultimate Ed. [64%]

Signature & Avatar
    `courtesy of DaRe_xLw

Lvl 6 - Silver

Definitely one of my all time favorite PS3 experiences.

Definitely THEEEEE all time favorite trophy experience.

And to day...the only online gaming experience I actually ever enjoyed.

I absolutely love this game and run a thread in the forum I came from to help people get the Wildcats trophy.

Long live Burnout!!!

EDIT: I would also like to add that (for those who don't know) the song Cities In Dust was originally a Siouxsie & The Banshees Song and if you like that song, you should check them out.
    Last edited by lucy diamond; 10-08-2012 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Edit marked.

Playin some Deadpool :/

For the record, Lucy Diamond is a movie reference and I'm a guy.

What are you doing right now? thread

Lvl 1 - Bronze

10/10 for me to love the MP still haven't got all freeburn challenges . Witch makes me keep returning for more.

I also liked the DLC except that it was expensive but now that the DLC collection out its actually worth my while.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I'd prefer it if they returned to the old Burnout style of actually having proper tracks. It doesn't really feel like a proper racing game to me without laps. I'm all for the alternate routes but alot of the time I just felt I was driving from the end of one short race to the start of another. Thats what menus are for in my opinion.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast