Deadliest Warrior: The Game Review

This is a discussion on Deadliest Warrior: The Game Review within the Game Reviews forum, part of the Trophy Guides, Reviews & Articles; Deadliest Warrior: The Game by NeroRadec707 Basic Information Developer: Pipeworks Software Publisher: Spike Games North American Release Date: October 5, ...

Harvester of Souls

Deadliest Warrior: The Game Review

Deadliest Warrior: The Game
    by NeroRadec707

Basic Information
    Developer: Pipeworks Software
    Publisher: Spike Games
    North American Release Date: October 5, 2010
    European Release Date: PSN - N/A
    Trophies:

Overview
    Deadliest Warrior: The Game is a PSN fighting game developed by Pipeworks Studios and based off the Spike TV show. It features several warriors from the show and allows you to pit them against each other in several game modes and features an online battle system allowing you to challenge your friends. You are able to choose from 8 of the warriors from seasons 1 & 2 of the series, with more said to come as DLC, over 4 different areas used to portray the battles in the show.

Gameplay
    The way this game works is you face opponents one on one until the round time is up or until someone's health bar is depleted completely. You will be capable of breaking limbs, chopping off arms & legs, decapitating your opponent, and whatever you see fit really to kill him. Combat wise, it's pretty solid. You have your basic fighting game attacks of high, mid, & low strikes, the ability to block with your weapon or shield, & can evade in any direction. You'll have to master each skill blocking, counter-strikes, parrying, & evading to take down your opponents if you hope to survive as death comes quickly. One cool feature is the destroying limbs or opponents weapons making them drop them onto the ground or being unable to use that appendage.

Also, each warrior comes with a unique set of weapons to choose from, armor and projectile weaponry. You are even able to unlock better gear from playing the Arcade mode and defeating your enemies and completing the challenges set forth in between bouts. There won't be any huge unique combos or anything. Most you have is a one special ability unique to each warrior, but it's up to you to figure out how to use these moves.

Overall, the gameplay is pretty decent. You shouldn't be expecting too much, say Mortal Kombat for instance, as it's a PSN game for $10.00, but it delivers gameplay-wise for it's price I feel.

Spartan VS an Apache Indian... Seems legit.

Singleplayer
    Well... as this is a fighting game, there isn't much story behind it. You have the story of each warrior desiring to be the greatest and deadliest one in history .... that's it ... that's your story. There is no narrating, there is no cutscenes of Helen of Troy being taken, warriors gearing up, and then going into war, there is nothing. BUT how much story do you need for a fighting game? It's just all about killing your opponent and moving onto the next victim in your warpath.

You do get a few extra game modes later on though. Such as a survival mode where you try and defeat as many enemies as you can before you die. But mostly it's just about battling one on one with friends or the computer and getting online to try your skills against other players. Through the story you get the variety of playing as the following warriors: Pirate, Ninja, Samurai, Viking, Apace, Spartan, Knight, and Centurion.

TIS only a flesh wound. Come at thee!

Multiplayer
    The multiplayer is just a few versus rounds of fighting amongst your friends or other players around the world. With the age of the game now, there isn't alot of activity online anymore. Even when the game was new, there was very few people to find online. The match making system of the fights isn't too bad, it works just as other games online do. You can select to fight with friends or random players but you don't have alot of options for fights other than traditional vs mode.

Technical

Well, being a low budget PSN game based off a TV show, there will be quite a few cuts in the development of it. There are no substantial areas that shine in this game at all other than the smooth fighting and controls. The soundtrack is alright, but fades in an out at times. Voices do the same thing and are quite terrible to listen to a few grunts and then odd silence for moments on end. This is normally fixed by ending one round or restarting the match.

Graphically, the game is sub-par, being very outdated for this age of gaming, even with being a PSN title. The graphics aren't very polished at all and are very smudgy. The most you really get is that you can see minor details and facial expressions of your warriors. The levels aren't too magnificent either, just shaded patches of grass here and there and a bit of background scenery.

There will also be times that you'll notice some lag and slowdown which will come and go randomly through matches OR if both warriors fighting decide to do alot of fancy footwork and swordplay. These will last only a few moments and then go away, but it happens enough to mention it. So get used to it if you wanna play this game.

"That was a close one.. watch where you're swinging that thing. Might hurt someone."
    Trophies
    Trophy wise, this game is pretty simple to 100% if that's your thing, but online modes aren't exactly bustling with action. I haven't even been able to find one match and when I do find other people, they are trying to fight against their friends to boost the 10 wins. Do make a note of this and make sure you have someone to play with for 100%.

Closing Thoughts
    This is a cheap PSN title with not much to really show off why you should buy it. If you like fighting games and the show, you may wanna give this game a try if you have 10 spare dollars laying around and a bit of time to download it. Do remember though that it has several flaws such as it's hardly mediocre graphics, some technical slow down issues, OH and lame voice acting for the grunts and gurgles of a few warriors. There isn't much more here in this game other than the mindless slaughter of a single opponent over and over and over again as ancient warriors.It's pretty neat concept and I love the show, so playing the fighting game kinda appeals to me, but it won't to everyone, no. It makes for a cheap way to waste some time and earn a few trophies while killing all sorts of warriors.

Gameplay: 7/10
    The gameplay is really fun and can make the game overall worth it. If you love the shows and like a simple fighting game, then pick this up.

Singleplayer: 6/10
    There isn't much story as it is a fighting game based off several warriors that have nothing to do with one another fighting to the death. But still giving some points here for the game itself.

Multiplayer: 4/10
    Multiplayer would be good if it were capable of playing it anymore. Lack on online players makes the game very difficult to play this mode.

Technical: 4/10
    Deadliest Warrior has a number of flaws that really hold it back. Sound quality and graphics are very poor and it has some other technical hiccups too that you will have to deal with.

Overall: 5/10
    Despite the low score, I really enjoyed the game for what it was: A cheap basic fighter based off a TV show. This game is NOT for everyone, but is your average old fighter that can offer a lot of fun but nothing more in the long haul or alone.
    Last edited by Nagflar; 09-22-2012 at 09:40 PM.

Crocodile Hunter

Nice review man, i wont be getting this game tho lol

Sig by Apokolypz

Kid, not loser

Great review Nero. I used to like the show quite a bit, but knew when this game came out that it was a bust. Thanks for confirming it.

Thanks to Bladia for the amazing Sig and Avy.

Harvester of Souls

I actually got alot of enjoyment out of it and for me I am glad I bought it. But I can find good qualities in shit. I just know that most people will be very unhappy with this game and judged it as thus. Wrote it from memory but I'm sure I got down everything. If you really like the show, you can enjoy this game. Or if you have some offline friends to play with IRL.

HOSTED BY GREAT DAZE TAZER!!!!! COME JOIN THE MAYHEM!!!

Guide Bar Created by Ds_luckay

Resident PHD

I remember Spoony's review of the game

He got a lot of hate for that review (even from the developers) so he had to release another review defending his points

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I personally liked the game, it reminded me of Time Killers (1 of the best arcade games ever) You could get killed with the first hit, just like Time Killers, as for an easy 100%??? LoL Hell no not even close, a few of those trophies are still some of my rarest trophies. As for the online, you need more than 1 boosting partner. Don't know if you knew Nero, but you get matched with someone your same rank and can't get matched with someone higher or lower than you(Theres only 3 ranks), think you need 6-8 people to boost it correctly, and it turned into a nightmare when Ballz, Helyx, and myself boosted it, 1 guy would use poison arrows and set it to a 30 second match and run around for 30 seconds after he threw a posion dart at you(even if you block it you still lose a little health) since he was an agile guy he'd win. I would suggest shelling out the extra $5 to get the DLC from the get go, you can start knocking out 2 trophies at once, you need to kill 300 Spartans and you would need 1000 kills with Rajput(DLC guy) to get those trophies. Well its now been released on disc with Deadliest Warrior: Legends...its $20, but you get 2 Deadliest Warrior Games and 2 DLCs so its not a bad buy.