Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Max Payne 3 Review

This is a discussion on Max Payne 3 Review within the Game Reviews forum, part of the Trophy Guides, Reviews & Articles; Max Payne 3 Review by dsluckay Basic Information: Developer: Rockstar Vancouver Publisher: Rockstar Games North American Release Date: May 15th, ...

Change is mediocre

Max Payne 3 Review

Max Payne 3 Review
    by dsluckay

Basic Information:
    Developer: Rockstar Vancouver
    Publisher: Rockstar Games
    North American Release Date: May 15th, 2012
    European Release Date: May 18th, 2012
    Trophies: Yes, 1 | 3 | 5 | 38
    Trophy Guide: Max Payne 3 Trophy Guide By Marccap

Overview
    Max Payne has left the NYPD and is now located in Brazil where he is working as private security. See how Max deals with being an ex-cop with nothing to lose in the next installment of the Max Payne series.

Gameplay
    Max Payne is mostly recognized for it's bullet time sequences. And by god is it pulled off extremely well. Upon being shot at, you can initiate a bullet time sequence where everything is in slow-motion, giving you the opportunity to survey the area and pick off certain enemies (or just have fun shooting guys in slow-motion like a normal person). In addition to just initiating this, you can also "shootdodge"; dive in slow-motion while shooting the baddies and feeling like a bad ass. The most gratifying feeling is doing a shootdodge and nailing 4+ enemies in the head.

The bullet time sequences are also initiated in certain parts of the game automatically, giving a more cinematic feel to the "shoot all enemies and advance" game that it is. Cars bursting through walls in slow-motion, and grenades flying through the air that you need to shoot before it hits you. This is the definite high-point that Max Payne has, a great feature that the game (and series) was built around.

If you don't feel like the ultimate badass doing this, something is wrong with you.

You have a health bar in Max Payne 3. The only way to gain health is to collect painkillers found throughout each level (naturally they relieve the pain). This gives it a grasp on reality in between slow-motion shootouts with 10+ enemies. If you do happen to lose your health though and you have at least one bottle of painkillers left you enter a "last stand" mode. This gives you a chance to kill your attacker in slow-motion and if successful, you automatically take the painkillers and are ready to get back in the action. This feature gets a little frustrating though when you are shot by someone and then you can't see them when in the last stand mode (if you are in cover, a wall or two may be in between yourself and the guy).

Taking cover is also one of the main features in Max Payne 3. While I myself am not a complete fan of cover-based shooters, at least Max Payne 3 doesn't center entirely around cover (it's second to bullet time). There was a problem I had though where I got shot and killed when behind cover, through a tiny space between connecting walls. I know there's a chance you can get shot between a space, but I went from 1/3 of health to dead in a matter of two seconds (granted I was playing on hard).

Singleplayer
    Max Payne is now a drunken, miserable, depressed and depressing ex-cop. You follow him as he narrates his latest job through hell as private security for the rich family the "Broncos". The story goes back and forth, between when you were working the job and how you came to it. It's a nice mix that gives some backstory to the story which is always a good thing. My only real problem with the story is that Max Payne is so miserable that you feel like telling him to suck it up and move on. Watching a sad sack mope around for over 10 hours isn't entertaining, but this is balanced out with the sarcastic humor found in the narration.

Max is just a lonely, depressed man.

The entire game you basically just keep seeing how things can screw over Max even more, and I'm not sure this was the best way to go about it. Most of the game you are either trying to find someone, or doing something that still continues the story but seems random. The story itself is quite bland, but that isn't exactly the focus of the game. Since all Max Payne is doing is private security work, it shows everything that can go wrong in an "actiony" way so as to entertain the player. If the story was a little stronger though, it would've been a gem. Like I said before, the game explains the backstory to the game and that's probably the best thing about the plot.

Max Payne 3 feels a lot like Kane and Lynch, where you are thrown into a world where everything is turning into madness (seemingly) and you are just stuck in the middle. I can say however that Kane and Lynch doesn't come close to the quality of Max Payne, the games are just similar if you know what I mean. A gritty story with hardly likeable characters shows this.

Multiplayer
    If the singleplayer game would have been co-op (with a different story, or altered story so the co-op fits) it would've been even better. Some sequences seemed like it was asking for co-op, quite notably a part when Max and his friend Passos are riding in a boat. Max shoots the enemies that are attacking the boat, but cooperatively a friend could've been Passos driving the boat.

Now onto the actual multiplayer. Someone's first thought about there being multiplayer in Max Payne 3 might be that it seems "tacked on" so it has a wider appeal. I personally don't think this is the case, as you can see some effort in the multiplayer, with all of the grinds, guns, and other unique things thrown in (like looting bodies for valuables and slow-motion with another player).

Like most games' multiplayer, you have the ability to create custom classes (after achieving a certain level, or rank) with many things to choose from. There's two-handed weapons, two single-handed weapon slots and many different perks and equipment that really just gives the player the ability to play how they want. If the multiplayer seemed tacked on to you before, it shouldn't now.

In terms of game modes, it doesn't stretch far. You've got your Deathmatch, your Team Deathmatch, larger versions of the two and then two unique modes. These being Gang Wars and Payne Killer. Gang Wars has you progress through "chapters", in different modes that are unique to this one mode. Payne Killer allows the player to be either Max Payne or Passos in a multiplayer game. They are overpowered, with lots of health and start with two bottles of painkillers. When you kill either, you become them.

Technical
    I only ran into a few problems in Max Payne 3. One time during a between-level cutscene, all of the sounds disappeared except for obnoxious footsteps whenever Max would step. I'm one that likes subtitles so I know that there was monologue occurring, it wasn't just a silent cutscene.

Another was stated above, but I would get shot through walls (more than just one time) and would be in last-stand, while not able to see, let alone shoot, my attacker. It felt cheap and unnecessary.

My last problem with Max Payne 3 was the matchmaking. I got kicked from lobbies due to connection errors more times than I got in them. It meant that I couldn't quickly start the game up and play one match of multiplayer within a small time limit and be ready to go once the match was done. It took me maybe five minutes one time to actually find and join a game.

Other than those problems, the technical aspects of Max Payne 3 are great. The levels and environments look great and diverse. The character models are well animated and detailed, with fluid movements. Even the voice acting is quite top-notch. If only those hiccups wouldn't have been present, the technical aspect would've been perfect.

Also, Max Payne 3 has a weird sort of video-effect thing that it does every few seconds, with text coming up about keywords being spoken. I'm not sure what this symbolizes, that Max is a drunk and is going crazy? I'm not sure it was necessary.

I'm just not sure if this was needed, but it does give Max Payne 3 even more character.

Trophies
    Max Payne 3 isn't a walk in the park. To get all of the trophies takes many hours and multiple playthroughs. A minimum of four playthroughs to be exact. You first need to start off on hard (which I did, and got frustrated countless times). You need to actually beat the game on the hardcore difficulty setting without dying once all while completing each level within a certain time frame! It's madness.

In addition, there are plenty multiplayer and collectable trophies to keep you occupied. Reaching level 50 in multiplayer will take a long time. All in all, if you are looking for a fun game that you expect to earn the platinum in within a weeks time, you should look elsewhere.

I also experienced a trophy glitch with looting a body in multiplayer. I looted maybe 40+ bodies before I got the trophy after looting a single body in a different game mode. If you are having trouble with any of the trophies, consult this wonderful trophy guide by Marccap.

Closing Thoughts
    Max Payne 3 is another beauty from Rockstar. Anyone who is a fan of action movies will absolutely love this game, as you are basically in one. If you like Grand Theft Auto's gameplay, then this is just a glorified version with less stealy stealy scenes, more adrenaline rushing slowy slowy scenes.

Gameplay: 9/10
    What a game should be in terms of gameplay. Just pure slow-motion fun.

Singleplayer: 8/10
    A mediocre story, but it was still fun blowing stuff up along the way.

Multiplayer: 7/10
    There was nothing really there to grab you, but if you liked the singleplayer you will still like the multiplayer. It's great but it's more of the same, with the exception of great custom classes.

Technical: 9/10
    A few hiccups prevent a perfect score unfortunately.

Overall: 8.5/10
    Last edited by dsluckay; 10-01-2012 at 06:56 AM.

Kiwi Defender

Great review, Luck. This is one of those games I wanted to try but wasn-t so sure about. Must definitely pick it up someday and give it a try for myself.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

CMN
    PS4 - Christmas 2014

Fantastic review Luckay.

I loved Max Payne 3, the story was cool to me and the multiplayer was decent. Worth AT LEAST a rent, but a purchase is even better because you can go back and play this amazing game.

Sig and Avatar from one of the Elite, Dare

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

Good stuff Luckay! Nailed it.

One of my favourites in terms of Soundtrack, Look, gameplay and narrative this year but once it was finished i felt no compulsion to do it again.Not one of Rockstar's best but easily better than the first two Max Payne titles ever were.

Amazed how Max cannot seem to go anywhere without causing a full scale bloodbath, the man is beyond misfortune and into superior fuckup land.

Kid, not loser

Great review DS. I heard some people say they love it, and a few say they were really disappointed with it. I'm gonna have to check it out for my self soon. Hopefully a Christmas sale will motivate me to get it then.

Thanks to Bladia for the amazing Sig and Avy.

Change is mediocre

Quote Originally Posted by Larrydavidsavatar View Post
    Good stuff Luckay! Nailed it.

One of my favourites in terms of Soundtrack, Look, gameplay and narrative this year but once it was finished i felt no compulsion to do it again.Not one of Rockstar's best but easily better than the first two Max Payne titles ever were.

Amazed how Max cannot seem to go anywhere without causing a full scale bloodbath, the man is beyond misfortune and into superior fuckup land.
    I can't say about the other Max Paynes as I've never actually played them But I agree, Max just goes screwing stuff up everywhere he goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid_Loser View Post
    Great review DS. I heard some people say they love it, and a few say they were really disappointed with it. I'm gonna have to check it out for my self soon. Hopefully a Christmas sale will motivate me to get it then.
    If you can find it for about $15-20 I would say it's worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by CallmeNasty View Post
    Fantastic review Luckay.

I loved Max Payne 3, the story was cool to me and the multiplayer was decent. Worth AT LEAST a rent, but a purchase is even better because you can go back and play this amazing game.
    Story wasn't big for me, as it's a pretty cliche one taken from any action movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    Great review, Luck. This is one of those games I wanted to try but wasn-t so sure about. Must definitely pick it up someday and give it a try for myself.
    It's definitely worth a try.

Harvester of Souls

Another nice review and finished very quickly . NICE WORK Man! Good read there . And definitely helps to move me towards playing this game eventually when I get caught up on older games. . Thanks again!

HOSTED BY GREAT DAZE TAZER!!!!! COME JOIN THE MAYHEM!!!

Guide Bar Created by Ds_luckay

Crocodile Hunter

Nice review mate

Im gonna give this whole series a miss tho lol

Sig by Apokolypz

PRO Member

Great review im playing single player on hard right now on chapter6, great game ton of action

People fear what they can't understand, hate what they can't conquer

PRO Member

I liked thiis game only the story mode but disliked it as well this game is hard 4 casual players and worse 4 newbies

Blood in the Streets

Great review . This is one platinum that I'm proud of having on my list.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

As a long-term Max Payne fan I can honestly say that I was deeply impressed when I played this game at a friend's house. It is currently firmly at the top of my 'to-buy' list. Glad to see that Rockstar have kept the core values of Max Payne at the heart of the newest iteration of the franchise; infallible atmosphere, dire moral compasses and above all, a simply depressed, lonely man floating around in a life he no longer cares for. It's fucking awesome, and quintessentially Rockstar.

Good work on the review, man.

"Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much."

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Great Review....this is one of most my most proudest plat so far

Lvl 4 - Silver

Rock star never fails. Their worst game was L.A. Noire.
    Sucker Punch and Guerrilla Games
    Are awesome

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Rockstar only produced L.A Noire. And it is far from a bad game, in my opinion anyway.

"Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much."

Change is mediocre

Quote Originally Posted by Gotakibono View Post
    Rockstar only produced L.A Noire. And it is far from a bad game, in my opinion anyway.
    I thought LA Noire was a great game, I don't understand the hate for it. It was a unique idea that I've never seen done before (but I'm sure it has been).

Lvl 2 - Bronze

It is a great review en I find the score also a 8,5/10

Just because it was great experience but not the best I ever had. And I agreed with the points in the review
    Gaming is my second life!

Resident PHD

Quote Originally Posted by Randy66 View Post
    Rock star never fails. Their worst game was L.A. Noire.
    Well since you are including games they published, then I would say you are far off your mark.

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

Rangers F.C

This is a must buy for me but am waiting for a while till price drops and clear my other games , great review mate but surprised by the story comments normally the Max Payne story is fantastic
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I think the price for this game has dropped so might now have to check it out

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast