Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Resident Evil 6 Review

This is a discussion on Resident Evil 6 Review within the Game Reviews forum, part of the Trophy Guides, Reviews & Articles; im on my way to platinuming RE5, and i don't think its that bad, though i wouldnt necessarily keep playing ...

Lvl 7 - Gold

im on my way to platinuming RE5, and i don't think its that bad, though i wouldnt necessarily keep playing it after ive got the platinum. i have RE6 but am waiting till it get the RE5 platinum for it. thanks for everyone's opinions, at least now i know not to have high expectations. i was hoping at first...

Legend...Nuff Said

Quote Originally Posted by Curb View Post
    Hey idiots - reviews are opinions and impressions, not facts. They CONTAIN facts, sure; it'd be hard to write a review with basic info like the number of players and release date and such. But saying a review has to be factual is a contradiction in terms. It's supposed to be one player's opinion of the game, and that's all. By no means is it definitive, and should only provide one perspective out of many that are available.

So don't think you can get off by saying this isn't a review, because that's exactly what it is. If you disagree with the final score, then by all means feel free to say that. But none of you are on the Review Team, most of you haven't written any reviews here on the site, and you clearly don't know what actually constitutes one because here it is, staring you in the face, and you're tearing it apart because it's 'not honest' and 'incorrect' and blah blah blah.

A REVIEW is an OPINION that happens to be presented in a specific way. It's not a preview, it's not a press briefing; it's your take on the finished product and Nero did exactly that, and did it well. It's nice to notice that most of you guys that decry him as a reviewer have never posted anything even remotely resembling a review, whether it's a real review or your own imagined definition of one.
    BULLSHIT on this, complete and utter bullshit. Reviews are not just opinions anymore. Reviews are big business. When companies can plaster 'opinions' all over game ads and covers proclaiming this game for a 10/10 from this site, or that game was Game of the Year on another site, reviews stopped being just an opinion. Additionally, reviews are supposed to be informed and unbiased and should show the whole picture. Its called good journalism. Its the difference between wanting to be considered an amateur and a professional. To just call it an 'opinion' denigrates it's worth and you might as well just ax them from the site if they are 'opinions'.

Also, don't go condescending people by saying they don't know what they are talking about because they are not on the review team, nor wrote a review for a site. If getting on the site staff wasn't an old boys club where you have to be chummy with everyone already on the team, so people could actually write reviews, you might see less armchair reviewers and people contribute more. What's the point of contributing for a hopeless cause that no one cares about?

L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.
    Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter @LasombraFiles
    My first novel can be found here: The Lasombra Files: Choice and Consequence
    Big thanks to the site for giving me my start as a writer!

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by Lasombra View Post
    BULLSHIT on this, complete and utter bullshit. Reviews are not just opinions anymore. Reviews are big business. When companies can plaster 'opinions' all over game ads and covers proclaiming this game for a 10/10 from this site, or that game was Game of the Year on another site, reviews stopped being just an opinion. Additionally, reviews are supposed to be informed and unbiased and should show the whole picture. Its called good journalism. Its the difference between wanting to be considered an amateur and a professional. To just call it an 'opinion' denigrates it's worth and you might as well just ax them from the site if they are 'opinions'.

Also, don't go condescending people by saying they don't know what they are talking about because they are not on the review team, nor wrote a review for a site. If getting on the site staff wasn't an old boys club where you have to be chummy with everyone already on the team, so people could actually write reviews, you might see less armchair reviewers and people contribute more. What's the point of contributing for a hopeless cause that no one cares about?
    There being a bussiness behind reviews doesn't change the definition of what a review is, even if it does change the way the review is written. Some reviewer at GameInformer may be paid to write a good review for the next big game, but that won't mean the universal definition of 'review' changes.

You can't be unbiased in a review. The momeny tou tell me the game plays smoothly is the moment you tell me that, for you, it played smoothly. Experiences diverge throughout the world and the way they are perceived as well, so you can't stop a reviewer from being biased (even if just a little).

Being on the so-called "old boys team" has nothing to do with someone getting to be staff. As someone's who has been lurking this forums for quite a while, I've seen a lot of people get promoted to one staff team or another, and most of them had to do with them being fit for the job, not for them being "old boys" in the site or getting along with the team members (afterall, Skordy became a mod and later an Admin). Now, getting along obviously helps as with anything in this world, but it isn't the reason for which people get to sport a different color name.

If people want to write reviews, they can, afterall, there's nothing stopping them. They're supposed free men that may do as they please and there's no stopping them in doing what they want. On the other hand, if they only want to write them to be on the Review Team and get attention, then there's no use for them to be around. Same goes for those who write Trophy Guides just to earn a possibility of becoming TGT, or who post news just to be noticed by the TLT/NT.

Now, on that note, I'll ask all of you to drop any conversation regarding what is/isn't a good/bad review and what-not. Now, if you wish to criticize the review itself or argue about what you think about the game, then do so (politely, obviously).

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Trophy Guide Grand Master

None of you can ever be happy...the review team doesnt do reviews and you guys bitch that they dont do anything.....when they do reviews you guys bitch about the review score...sad...

From this point on, any insulting, bickering, or trolling of the reviews or the review team will result in Infractions.

If you would like to DISCUSS your thoughts on the game please do so here...if you would give them game a different score, please tell us your reasons on why you gave it the score you did instead of insulting the reviewers opinion of the game

If you cant politely post your thoughts without being insulting...go away

Lvl 5 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by DaveyHasselhoff View Post
    None of you can ever be happy...the review team doesnt do reviews and you guys bitch that they dont do anything.....when they do reviews you guys bitch about the review score...sad...

From this point on, any insulting, bickering, or trolling of the reviews or the review team will result in Infractions.

If you would like to DISCUSS your thoughts on the game please do so here...if you would give them game a different score, please tell us your reasons on why you gave it the score you did instead of insulting the reviewers opinion of the game

If you cant politely post your thoughts without being insulting...go away
    If the review team cant take other opinions and if you guys have to erase people comments then the next time I would lock up the reviews and make Review Discussion Topics, I agree, People must not disrespect each other specially the reviewer but you have to consider that If I say that the review was not made with the fullest interest on trying out the game with excuses like the campaign was a grind till beginning to the end then somethings wrong. It's an opinion yes, one that I accept? no. But It doesnt mean I cant defend a game that I liked and pretty much other people that were expecting a better review, a more complete one.

I wish to see more reviews of Nero, just because i might have been drive by my inner RE fanboy and It might have me disliked the review, not Nero. Wish to see more reviews, and seriously, I'm not tracking Review Team reviews or what they do, But It would improve a lot if the review team gets New Games reviews on time the game gets released or at least some days after. Of course, All the review team buys their games and make honest review of those games, yet again, It doesnt mean that because they do reviews with the kindest of their hearts we cant argue them, At the end we all learn out of this.

Additionally, reviews are supposed to be informed and unbiased and should show the whole picture. Its called good journalism. Its the difference between wanting to be considered an amateur and a professional. To just call it an 'opinion' denigrates it's worth and you might as well just ax them from the site if they are 'opinions'.
    This guy has true written all over his post, You are definitly giving the axe to your own site if you defend your reviews by saying ''Hey guys those are just opinions please dont fight, this is just an opinion review'' You are killing your own Reviews and admitting your reviews are not worthy of be taken as an full, It denigrates their whole worth and well, doesnt inspire much confidence.
    PS4: jGezze7
    ''War... War Never Changes...... Men do, through the roads they walk.''

PRO Member

The review is very well constructed, but I wish you would have gone into more detail about your statements. This is the one issue I had throughout the review, "poor controls". How so? If anything, this is easily one of the better Resident Evil games as far as controls were addressed. I've played through every RE game (excluding most of the newer on-rails spin-offs), and this easily has the most fluid character control of them. I bought the Anthology release, and I ended up playing RE1 and RE4 instantly, and much more-so then 6 (nothing against it. It's been a while since I've played them and they're my favorite games) and they're easily triumphed by 6 concerning controls.

To be honest, I find it hard to really see how you've came to your final score. Most of what was written is what I one would assume to read as a description about the game, until you include pieces like "takes you out of the experience" (QTEs) and "takes a step back" (gameplay).

Like I said, it's not a bad review, I just wish you would have gone into detail on why and how these issues (or even what is good) play out.

YouTube: Sk3pT1kaL

Aes Dana

Haven't played Resident Evil 6 yet but i will pick it up maybe next year. The review seems fair

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Nero View Post
    Thank you Comp . The comments could of stayed. They just said a point and Irock had valid points in his first EDITED version of his comment lol. . I'm not denying that at all.

But yes guys . The review will be helpful to some people, while some may still thoroughly enjoy the game. Some will hate the review and think differently, and I am sorry. I can't please everyone, but just gave my own opinionated thoughts of it.
    I agree with all the points you raised in the review, except for the length of the chapters. Leon's campaign alone took me about 12 hours to complete on first playthrough. I also died..a lot. I consider myself to be an average, casual gamer and I'm no stranger to Resident Evil games.

If I factor in the replay value of this game, there's a minimum of 50 hours of "enjoyment" to be had here. Roughly 1 dollar per hour of value.

I think I would have scored this at a 7, but again..aside from the differing opinions on length of gameplay, we're pretty muhc on the same page for everything else.

As a personal side note, I'll agree that the multiplayer/co-op aspect of the game is very well done, unfortunately for me.. I despise playing online with strangers (and none of my "real-life" friends play video games). So your highest score for this game is basically the only aspect of the game I'll never take advantage of, lol. Sucks to be me.

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by iRock View Post
    If the review team cant take other opinions and if you guys have to erase people comments then the next time I would lock up the reviews and make Review Discussion Topics, I agree, People must not disrespect each other specially the reviewer but you have to consider that If I say that the review was not made with the fullest interest on trying out the game with excuses like the campaign was a grind till beginning to the end then somethings wrong. It's an opinion yes, one that I accept? no. But It doesnt mean I cant defend a game that I liked and pretty much other people that were expecting a better review, a more complete one.

I wish to see more reviews of Nero, just because i might have been drive by my inner RE fanboy and It might have me disliked the review, not Nero. Wish to see more reviews, and seriously, I'm not tracking Review Team reviews or what they do, But It would improve a lot if the review team gets New Games reviews on time the game gets released or at least some days after. Of course, All the review team buys their games and make honest review of those games, yet again, It doesnt mean that because they do reviews with the kindest of their hearts we cant argue them, At the end we all learn out of this.

This guy has true written all over his post, You are definitly giving the axe to your own site if you defend your reviews by saying ''Hey guys those are just opinions please dont fight, this is just an opinion review'' You are killing your own Reviews and admitting your reviews are not worthy of be taken as an full, It denigrates their whole worth and well, doesnt inspire much confidence.
    Personally, I didn't like the fact that someone deleted your first posts (and the replies to all of 'em) for they were contributing to the review. Afterall, you were saying you (semi-respectufly) disagreed, which is fine, since it brings up different points of view and some interest to the thread itself.

On that note, I think it's very clear that the Review Team has nothing against criticism (even if some of the mebmers take it differently than others) nor different opinions, that's why, on my last post, I clearly stated that any kind of criticism and different opinions of any sort are welcome, but that changing the topic from one thing to another isn't.

His post might have some truth to it if it didn't had falacial arguments all over it.

And with that said, I'll ask you, again, to drop the subject entirely and stick to the review (whether you want to keep criticizing it or not). That's what the thread is here for, not for arguing about what a review is or isn't.

Toggle Spoiler

My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Angel of Death

Actually, now that I think about it, Leon's last boss was

Toggle Spoiler

Aussie Furry, Bitch

In a multiverses of different bodies and souls

Quote Originally Posted by iRock View Post

A review is an opinion. It's a guideline that we publish; you can choose to ignore it or agree with it, or in some areas both. They do have facts within them, but for the most part, as I have stated before - they are opinions presented in a formal way. We've asked you to stop with the constantly bashing. You have defend a game you feel deserved better or worse, but do so in a respectful and dignified way. If you can't do that, then don't even bother posting.

Change is good

If there weren't opinions in reviews, how would you know if something is bad or good (thus, reviewing the thing)? Just a question, as I have no idea how that works.

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by Kerwan_Ratchet View Post
    A review is an opinion. It's a guideline that we publish; you can choose to ignore it or agree with it, or in some areas both. They do have facts within them, but for the most part, as I have stated before - they are opinions presented in a formal way. We've asked you to stop with the constantly bashing. You have defend a game you feel deserved better or worse, but do so in a respectful and dignified way. If you can't do that, then don't even bother posting.
    Quote Originally Posted by dsluckay View Post
    If there weren't opinions in reviews, how would you know if something is bad or good (thus, reviewing the thing)? Just a question, as I have no idea how that works.
    As I said on my previous post, drop the conversation. Entirely.

Toggle Spoiler

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Nicely written, Nero! If I was to write a review for this game I would've given it the same score. I played the demo and I felt it was crap so I knew I needed to think if I should stay away from this game. But I thought it was only the demo that sucked, then I read your review and it really helped me decide whether or not to maintain a 100-meter distance from the game for good. It's not about the aspects game for me, really, it's about how I felt when I was playing it. And I imagine how much you had to endure while playing this game forcibly, I know I'd feel the same way as you if I were to play it. Happy I bought Sleeping Dogs instead. Rock on, Nero! \m/

EDIT: I agree with Mr.Nagflar, drop the conversation. It won't do us any good. And for the people who have some gripes on the review, tell the reviewer what you think he needs to improve upon and do so politely. Peace! (Y)
    Last edited by Candy_Man20; 10-23-2012 at 09:44 AM. Reason: peacemaking :DD

***Now the real game begins!***

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Candy_Man20 View Post
    Nicely written, Nero! If I was to write a review for this game I would've given it the same score. I played the demo and I felt it was crap so I knew I needed to think if I should stay away from this game. But I thought it was only the demo that sucked, then I read your review and it really helped me decide whether or not to maintain a 100-meter distance from the game for good. It's not about the aspects game for me, really, it's about how I felt when I was playing it. And I imagine how much you had to endure while playing this game forcibly, I know I'd feel the same way as you if I were to play it. Happy I bought Sleeping Dogs instead. Rock on, Nero! \m/

EDIT: I agree with Mr.Nagflar, drop the conversation. It won't do us any good. And for the people who have some gripes on the review, tell the reviewer what you think he needs to improve upon and do so politely. Peace! (Y)
    It happened to me as well but i gave it a chance and now Im having so much fun with it definitely an awesome game xD Good for me

That Southern B****

I haven't played myself but have seen a bit of the game. The graphics, especially Leon's campaign, are spot on. So is the music. Really wish they had did a better job on the important stuff like say the storyline instead of just making it look pretty.

Nice review, Nero. You succeeded in being fair. I'll accept this score
    Hitmon133: "Today's passage is taken from the Book of Coug. Chapter 56, Verse 46. >.>"

Epic Banner by Fawst <3

Toggle Spoiler

Harvester of Souls

I've already admitted that I didn't explian things as well as I should have, such as some the mechanics and the controls.. THUS WHY when I get my time caught up since I do have a real life too and do this in my spare time, I shall edit and include a few sections I HONESTLY forgot to write. I was meeting a deadline and had alot goin on. The points I touched on in the review, I truly meant and I staand by them and that's what I FELT when I played it. I can defend it if you have any questions or ask me why I thought something a certain way, but demanding I change the score isn't going to change anything here at all.

Will some people LOVE, absolutely love Resident Evil 6, most certainly. Will some hate it more? Yep.. they will... Plenty agree and disagree with my score. WHY should I change it to appease the ones that did like it? What about the guys that agree and hated it and thought I should give it "lower"? This review was my best attempt at being unbiased towards the game. I hated Resident Evil 5, yet I still platinumed it and finished it. I just gave this game the score I best felt it deserved and was as honest as I could. YES this is all my opinion and what i felt when playing, i can't help that. I can't like something and review it differently if I thought it were garbage.

I am sorry some don't feel the score is justified, but you are MORE than welcome to post your criticism here and tell me what will make it better. and you can even write your own review. I highly suggest some of you do so, as it will only help more gamers out there see a different side of the game. I played through it and gave it what I felt it earned. I can't do any differently than that. Sure I'm not a professional writer, AND I don't get paid to do this. I just happen to be on the Review Team and contributing to the site. That is all. Sorry, but I thank you all that read it . I appreciate it.

HOSTED BY GREAT DAZE TAZER!!!!! COME JOIN THE MAYHEM!!!

Guide Bar Created by Ds_luckay

Harvester of Souls

Also, as I've stated already... 5/10=AVERAGE SCORE.. something that can be bought and enjoyed by some, but not everyone will.. IT won't be a GRAND HIT out there. I gave RE6 an above average score. 6/10. That is nearly equivalent to a 3.5/5. :/

HOSTED BY GREAT DAZE TAZER!!!!! COME JOIN THE MAYHEM!!!

Guide Bar Created by Ds_luckay

Cipher sent us to hell

I feel this review is pretty spot on with the game. I just recently finished RE6 and I feel a score of 6/10 is well warranted for the overall experience. In some areas, it excels (such as visuals and audio) but in others it is severely lacking (gameplay balancing, story). Overall a mediocre experience and this review paints that exact picture.
    PS3/Vita/PS4: x13ucketHeaDx | X360: x13ucketHeaDx | Steam: x13ucketHeaDx

"Kaz... I'm already a demon."

Gothams Silent Protector

From what I have been playing with Broken so far Id have to say that this review is pretty spot on. I dont really give number reviews, because well, read the thread lol, so my take on it would be ' A play, but not for full price. '

So far we've beaten Leons campaign and it was quite annoying at times. Especially the market. I find that the game in general is too dark, most of the time you cant see where and what you are supposed to be doing/going. The market was a prime example where you have to retrieve the 3 keys. That one key that you cant get to unless you find the ladder was annoying as hell due to the enemies in that area. We ran around that area for 20+ minutes till we said screw it and Youtubed it.

The visuals to me as an artist are sub par. There are texture issues where you can see the seems between two textures as a giant white line. A lot of the textures of the game look very much dated to the point where I felt like I was playing on the Ps2. The more intensive sections of the game also do not help. See spoiler. Though these issues dont appear all the time, when they do they are quite apparent, at least to me they are.

Toggle Spoiler

What really makes me rage at this game though is the quick time events. Im sorry, but they are just fucking horrible. Its always the same every single time, rotate the thumbstick in the same direction every sing time and mash square or X, there are no variations what so ever. I got to the point while trying to protect Broken while he was on Youtube looking at how to get to the 3 key in the market when those enemies grapple you and you have to twirl the thumbstick, got to the point where I wanted to throw my controller out my window, which is 12 floors up. Each time you go into that state it gets harder and harder to achieve the QTE to the point where you seriously need to have woodpecker momentum and skill to mash or let alone rotate the thumbstick at super speeds.

The cutscenes are decent, nothing ground breaking but not horrible either.

Another thing that really annoys me is the amount of space you have in your 'backpack'. You can carry so many weapons, then you need at least one slot for each type of ammo, which leaves you with about 4 spots left. Those are taken up by bombs, grenades first aid sprays and then herbs.
    I had to toss my bombs to make space for one slot for herbs. The problem I have with this is because of the skills mechanic, why is there no skill that allows to hold more things on you? When ammo is so important that if I reach an entire stack of ammo, why does it have to take up another slot in my bag to have another stack of ammo, thus making it two stacks for one weapon where it could be one thus allowing at least 1-2 slots left for herbs/sprays etc.

The online co-op though I will say has improved quite a bit since 5. Except one thing. The melee. Broken and I continuously find ourselves doing more harm to each other by using it and kicking each other down instead of the enemy. Besides that its fine, quite responsive, no lag or framerate issues. Not sure though if it has happened to anyone else where it randomly kicks on of the players in a game but that happened a couple times on Sunday, though hasnt happened since.

This game really I believe to get the best experience possible is to play co-op with a friend. I dont think I would be playing this single player because I doubt it would be as fun. I think it was meant for co-op which is why they worked on the mp aspect where 5 failed so much.

Its not a terrible game as most have said it to be, but its no where near perfect either. I think that the gameplay is decent but a bit clunky at times and very frustrating with the QTE's because I dont want to be mashing buttons and twirling thumbsticks all the time. Story so far isnt that bad, but I will agree about Leons final boss issue, like honestly... come on. We finished the first chapter in Chris' campaign and thus far its been going smoothly, at least more than Leon's.

Those are just my opinions on the game, so in essence I do agree with the number roughly.
    Good review, Nero.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast