Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Resident Evil 6 Review

This is a discussion on Resident Evil 6 Review within the Game Reviews forum, part of the Trophy Guides, Reviews & Articles; Resident Evil 6 by NeroRadec707 Basic Information Developer: Capcom Publisher: Capcom North American/European Release Date: October 2, 2012 Japan Release ...

Harvester of Souls

Resident Evil 6 Review

Resident Evil 6
    by NeroRadec707

Basic Information
    Developer: Capcom
    Publisher:
    Capcom
    North American/European Release Date:
    October 2, 2012
    Japan Release Date:
    October 4, 2012
    Trophies:
    1 / 2 / 7 / 42

Overview

Resident Evil 6 takes place many years following the events from previous titles. You assume the roles of Chris Redfield, Leon Kennedy, Ada Wong, and the new guy Jake Muller. Seems yet again some bio-terrorists have caused a massive outbreak of a new virus, the C-Virus, infecting nearly the entire world. Controlling each of the playable characters over 4 intersecting story-lines, you will face zombies and new bio-weapons in the repeat of the Raccoon City outbreak and stop the efforts of Neo-Umbrella.

Gameplay

Throughout Resident Evil 6, you will be able to choose between several characters and scenarios, each providing a different gameplay experience. Throughout Chris Redfield and Jake Muller's scenarios, you will have a more action themed game, Leon's being more survival horror and slower while still having some action segments, and finally Ada Wong's being a general mix of all. You will be able to utilize several different weapons ranging from pistols to shot guns and assault rifles to use to take down your many foes. As in typical Resident Evil fashion, you will face several versions of zombies including some new versions that will use firearms against you and may evolve during combat. There will also be several special bio-weapon boss enemies that you will encounter throughout your gameplay.

Does that zombie have a gun or .. oh S*** HE DOES!

Out of the the few drawbacks I experienced throughout Resident Evil 6, one was the different set piece events that continued to happen and always seemed to take me out of control of the game and offered nothing to my gaming experience. Also, there are many QTE (Quick Time Events) that will occur and require you to tap buttons, similar to Resident Evil 4's cutscenes, and also really throw out the experience and slow down the action it seemed Capcom wanted to go for. As a gamer for me, I really hate these and they have never seemed fun when forced repeatedly throughout the game's storyline.

Along with the main storyline and co-op features within Resident Evil, you will have several other game modes that you will be able to play. One of these is a multiplayer only experience called Agent Hunt mode, where you invade other players' worlds as enemies and attempt to kill them. Also, the Mercenaries mode returns and can be played alone or co-op as well.

What the hell is this crap?? What kind of menu is that.. where is my pause and status screen???

The in-game menu for Resident Evil has taken a radical update when compared to past titles. You can pause the game, but the in-game menu is activated in real time so you have to combine items such as herbs you locate and change weapons in the midst of battle or when you find the time. Your partners will sometimes help defend you if you need to change something, but it can be a bit stressful when you're used to having an in-game pause screen to manage your inventory. It feels very sloppy and isn't shown to you very well how to interact with this system. Once you get the hang of it, it does make healing very simple with the press of one button to automatically use a healing item in combat.

Singleplayer

You take over the roles of one of several different playable characters through 4 separate storylines in Resident Evil 6. The entire storyline for each is made to be a co-op experience with two players, either being controlled by the computer AI or a real player. You have the choice of playing through the stories of either Chris, Leon, Jake, or Ada. The game gives you the choice of playing as the main character in each scenario or as their co-op partner which will slightly change up the experience.

The primary Resident Evil team. Looks good right?

During the game, the president of the United States has become infected and dead before he can reveal some secrets about the Raccoon City outbreaks and Umbrella. The world is now completely infected with a new virus, known as the C-Virus, unleashed by the bio-terrorist group Neo-Umbrella in an effort to cover everything up. This has caused zombies, other monsters that you will recognize from previous Resident Evil games, and in addition some new creatures that can mutate and become bigger and stronger as you try to weaken them.

The stories aren't that long so take this in mind when you think about the number of possible paths you can take. They are each divided into chapters that you have the option of replaying through later and have periodic checkpoints to save progress within. Each of the approximate 5 chapters within each playthrough will take about one to two hours to complete depending on your difficulty and playstyle.

Resident Evil 6 jumps right into events skipping alot of what happened in between the previous game and this title. You may feel slightly lost starting the game up, but you can get involved into the story in the beginning. Most of the game afterward will feel like a chore and just a grind to finish it. Despite the number of short playthroughs and character scenarios, this game doesn't have an interesting enough story to keep many gamers satisfied.

Multiplayer

For Resident Evil 6, you don't have any real competitive co-op modes to play generally as other shooters have. Instead, through the stories of the playable characters, you will have co-op features available to join and drop into other players games taking control of their partner character to help fight through the waves of zombies.

Also, you have the option to turn on a mode called Agent Hunt. This mode will allow other players to join into your game as different monsters and enemies that you will have to face. These invasions can occur throughout most chapters of the game and multiple players may invade into your world at one time. Also, after you have completed the game, you are given the option to invade other players' games as monsters as well for a bit of replay value.

What are you waiting for??? HELP ME ALREADY!

The multiplayer aspect of Resident Evil 6 is one of the few things that it got correct it seems. You have a good matchmaking system to drop in and join in the middle of a player's game if they allow it and multiple co-op modes to enjoy with friends. This also works for offline co-op with a real player as well for those that lack some online capabilities. Just as in Resident Evil 5, you and your partner will be able to assist and help one another too, saving the other if they get grabbed or their health drops too low.

Technical

The soundtrack of Resident Evil 6 is very fitting and is on par with previous titles from the series. You will find that the sound themes and music fit your situations and can somewhat elevate the tension or the sense of action throughout the game. You will find the voice acting is generally acceptable as well. Some of the dialogue is off and the cutscenes could of been skipped in some instances, but this isn't a big factor against the game. The game is very well designed and the graphics are very nice looking and smooth. There aren't any graphic tearing issues that I experienced and the sounds of the games were very well done. The controls of the game are a bit touchy so be prepared for this as you play.

Trophies

All trophies can be collected offline and there are no competitive online trophies to acquire throughout Resident Evil 6. You do have several difficulty trophies but these aren't so bad once you level up your skills and unlock special weapons. Also, the game brings back a few collectible emblem trophies that you will need to acquire as well. Most trophies will require you to complete each character's scenario and a few specific events through the game.

Closing Thoughts

Resident Evil 6 is the latest in the Resident Evil series, but also seems to be the one that has stepped back the most. Graphically and character wise, this is the biggest game to date from Capcom for Resident Evil, however, poor controls, mediocre storylines, and short playthroughs for chapters as well as the number of small action changes really hold the game back. They seemed to try to appeal to all the crowds, while disrupting what made Resident Evil the fun game that it used to be and not many gamers are satisfied and like these changes.

As far as action/shooter games go, Resident Evil is just another generic game with Resident Evil slapped on it. In terms of sound and technical aspects, however, the game works fine. You will not notice any tearing or game freezing errors and so the game did have enough time to finish it's development in this regard.

Gameplay: 6/10

Some parts of Resident Evil 6 are fun to play, and you have many unique weapons to use and monsters to face. Everything Capcom tried to change and update the game, however, has taken it a step back into boredom and a very generic style game not able to stand up to other games out there.

Singleplayer: 6/10

Resident Evil 6 has the biggest and most expansive story of the series to date. Unfortunately, that did it no justice at all and even with all the character scenarios involved, the game still feels very mediocre and boring. You will experience alot in the Resident Evil storyline, but it's a forgettable experience.

Multiplayer: 9/10

Capcom really tried to add in some multiplayer aspects into their games as it does give some replay value and fun factor to the games. Resident Evil isn't one of the type of games that generally needs this added to it, but the multiplayer co-op can really save this game and make it a fun time with friends offline or online.

Technical: 8/10

Here is an example of where Capcom invested their time to create a finished product in terms of graphics and function. The sound and music of Resident Evil works very well for the situations. Also, graphically, this is probably the best looking game in the Resident Evil series yet. They actually developed it so that load times aren't that bad and there are few tearing and freezing issues that occur. I experienced no known notable glitches or problems with Resident Evil 6.

Overall: 6/10
    Last edited by NeroRadec707; 10-20-2012 at 07:04 PM.

HOSTED BY GREAT DAZE TAZER!!!!! COME JOIN THE MAYHEM!!!

Guide Bar Created by Ds_luckay

Kiwi Defender

Nice review, Nero! Sounds like Resident Evil 5 all over again, but with a very improved multiplayer, which is actually nice. Will make sure to give it a try for myself later .

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Angel of Death

Good review, but I think it deserves more than a 6; more like an 8 or 9 even. I don't really understand the low scores for the game, it's a lot of fun.

Kid, not loser

Great read here Nero. I played the demo and really didn't like it. Probably would have given it the exact same score in the end if the whole game was just like the demo.

Thanks to Bladia for the amazing Sig and Avy.

Lvl 7 - Gold

short playthroughs for chapters

Most chapters I played were 30+ minutes, how is that short?
    DIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIE!

~There is no such thing as an unemployed gamer. You can either pay to play or you don't play at all~

Harvester of Souls

That sounds pretty short to me - 30 minute playthroughs. I was able to drage them out to about an hour and still said it was short.

I was only honest with the game. I had to force myself to play through it and in that case and the lack of desire the game gave me is why I got that score. Normally I average the scores out a bit differently, but that's what I gave it and how I review it. Bordered on 7 for some aspects but just how I did. .

Angel of Death

Quote Originally Posted by zz383 View Post
    short playthroughs for chapters

Most chapters I played were 30+ minutes, how is that short?
    Yeah, and they were usually 45 minutes on Amateur for me. The Pro chapters I finished sometimes took up to 2 hours.

Let Me Watch

I'd say it deserves a higher score.
    Thanks to djunglist for the sig and avy

"Got more soul than a sock with a hole"

Change is good

Quote Originally Posted by Ramon3110 View Post
    Butthurt RE fanboys in 3....2.....1....
    I believe you may be a little late.

I've played RE5 for about 10 minutes and I didn't enjoy myself, and if this is worse.... Nice review Nero.

Harvester of Souls

Quote Originally Posted by dsluckay View Post
    I believe you may be a little late.

I've played RE5 for about 10 minutes and I didn't enjoy myself, and if this is worse.... Nice review Nero.
    Lol. yeah. I gave the game what I thought it deserved and experienced when I played it. . Sorry I can't please everyone with the scores and it will appeal and please alot of people and they will think of a different score. Just how the cookie crumbled this turn around. Thanks for everyone that reads it.

Aussie Furry, Bitch

In a multiverses of different bodies and souls

I've heard mixed things about this game, but it seems to me that overall it's less than satisfactory.

Anyway, good job Nero...and your comments about the images never fail to raise a smile to my face.

Crocodile Hunter

Seems pretty average, might skip over this game

Sig by Apokolypz

Trophy Guide Kitten

Not a debating thread. Take it else where. K? Thanks
    K? Thanks

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Great review Nero! I thought it was honest, purely simple and straightforward. The score you gave it was spot on.

Lvl 5 - Silver

Good review, might have to think about if i really want to get it or may just wait till it cheaper as there a no online trophies so no hurry

Harvester of Souls

Thank you Comp . The comments could of stayed. They just said a point and Irock had valid points in his first EDITED version of his comment lol. . I'm not denying that at all.

But yes guys . The review will be helpful to some people, while some may still thoroughly enjoy the game. Some will hate the review and think differently, and I am sorry. I can't please everyone, but just gave my own opinionated thoughts of it.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

nice review Nero! Resident Evil is a great game! the co-op is impressive. the trophies are a walk in the park, and most inprotantly, every single campaign has a very good story and incredible plot twists to the story. i especially cant wait for the add on to where Ada will have a co-op partner, she will be available from the start, and a new difficulty.
    overall, another good review to another good game

Lvl 2 - Bronze

The demo was enough for me. If the camera makes my eyes hurt there arent any excuses left to play this crap.

Lvl 4 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by NeroRadec707 View Post
    That sounds pretty short to me - 30 minute playthroughs. I was able to drage them out to about an hour and still said it was short.

I was only honest with the game. I had to force myself to play through it and in that case and the lack of desire the game gave me is why I got that score. Normally I average the scores out a bit differently, but that's what I gave it and how I review it. Bordered on 7 for some aspects but just how I did. .
    horrible, horrible review how can you be honest when you had to force yourself to play the game. sounds like you already knew what the game was like before you reviewed it and just threw it together to appeal to the majority
    THE NOOSH
    BABAGANOOSH08

Change is good

Quote Originally Posted by babaganoosh08 View Post
    horrible, horrible review how can you be honest when you had to force yourself to play the game. sounds like you already knew what the game was like before you reviewed it and just threw it together to appeal to the majority
    Well there's such a thing as playing a game, discovering it's shit and, you know, forcingyourself to play it. It happens to all of us. If that's how he felt playing the game that's an honest statement. What is he going to do, lie in the entire review and say it's a masterpiece when he trudged through it with little excitement?

People feel different feelings for games, I'm sure there's people that love Duke Nukem Forever but there are obviously people that don't.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast