Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Medal of Honor: Warfighter Review

This is a discussion on Medal of Honor: Warfighter Review within the Game Reviews forum, part of the Trophy Guides, Reviews & Articles; Medal of Honor: Warfighter Review by dsluckay Basic Information: Developer: Danger Close Publisher: Electronic Arts North American Release Date: October ...

Change is mediocre

by dsluckay

Basic Information:
    Developer: Danger Close
    Publisher: Electronic Arts
    North American Release Date: October 23rd, 2012
    European Release Date: October 25th, 2012
    Trophies: Yes, 1 | 2 | 10 | 38
    Trophy Guide: Medal of Honor: Warfighter Trophy Guide by Bushpig94 and dsluckay

Overview
    Medal of Honor: Warfighter is the sequel to the 2010 series reboot. You play as Stump and Preacher, with Voodoo and Mother at your side. They need to stop the PETN weapons from tearing America a new one. We all know most people that play FPS games play them for the multiplayer, but is it worth it in Warfighter?

Gameplay
    Warfighter is a typical first-person shooter. Much like the others in the series, you can run and you can gun, with everything in-between. For those that have played the 2010 reboot, you will notice the game plays similar if not exactly like it. There isn't much innovation in terms of gameplay that we haven't already seen. Warfighter even has the dual-scope feature that MW3 had. Warfighter does do the dual-scope feature much better, but is on par with 2010 and even other Call of Duty titles in gameplay altogether.

Warfare has never felt more tense, but it does feel uninspired.

My biggest complaint in the gameplay aspect of Warfighter is it doesn't do much to wow you. Most of the game you are on your feet and shooting. Other military shooters feature piloting helicopters, or something unique in that sense. Warfighter does not, except for one mission where you are driving a car. That mission was arguably the most fun, because it even integrated stealth, hiding in dark places to evade security. The only other time you get to not be on your feet is a small part when you are in a helicopter, shooting from the side. That's only for the first part of the mission though. 2010 had far more than this, such as the bunch of helicopter piloting missions.

Warfighter does well what it tries to do, but doesn't do much else. It ultimately feels like a step back from 2010, and that is critical in this day and age. I wish we could've seen tanks or something, tearing up villages. Instead we get to run around the villages, shooting people. One of my complaints in Kane & Lynch 2 was that all you do is run and gun, and this is almost the same. Warfighter has lots more to offer than Kane & Lynch 2, but the feeling is similar.

Singleplayer
    Warfighter has some kind of story, but it was hard to follow for me. Cutscenes hardly explained anything, and then I would be plopped down into the next mission, given a gun and told to kill. I think there's something to do with dangerous weapons that try to get into America, but that's all I could make out from it. There are moments that tug on your heartstrings (however slightly) near the end, and the game got more interesting. But then it just ends, and I had no idea what was going on. Warfighter can be completed in 4-5 hours on Easy or Normal, and most of that is grabbing cover so you can wipe the jam off of your face.

The singleplayer campaign feels as tacked on as any other current-generation shooter, but boy does it show here. It felt almost like a chore to complete, like the game was just forcing me to play the multiplayer game (which would make sense, as it's EA after all). The campaign is very cinematic though, as if to brag about the Frostbite 2 engine.

Despite everything, it's still fun. Shooting up hard to see dots on a dusty battlefield has never been better, but it still could've been much better. They could've copied the sequences from Medal of Honor 2010, maybe while they were busy copying everything else from 2010 (like the damn helicopter missions). Hardcore FPS fans will love Warfighter, but not many others I'm afriad.

Multiplayer
    This is basically where the game shines. First off, the amount of customization is staggering. You can choose your nation, your class, your gun, your optics, etc. In this case Warfighter takes a huge step forward from 2010's Medal of Honor. How many guns were there in Medal of Honor 2010? Like 10? Now there's 72! 12 per class, each from their own special forces group. It's great to see this much effort spent on customization.

Each class is suited for your play style. You've got the snipers, the guys that like to sit back and protect their team from afar. The assaulters, the normal infantry guys. Demolitions experts that like to make things go boom. The heavy gunners, with big guns and you know what they say about men and big guns. The point man, the guys that like to lead and are generally annoying. And lastly the Special Operatives, that like to be all sneaky, quick and silent.

Fight from all across the globe!

With these classes you feel like a team, especially when playing objective-based game modes. Combat mission is a great example of this, essentially Demolition from Call of Duty. One team attacks and plants the bomb, the other defends and defuses the bomb. And if that wasn't enough, there is a unique feature known as Fire Team Buddies. Within teams there will be groups of two that are buddies, and they can heal or resupply each other. You can also spawn on your buddy, to be taken right back to the action. This brings the team closer, and makes teamwork a vital part of winning.

The ranking system is vast, with many different ranks to be earned. Each rank usually unlocks a new unit, class or weapon for use in the game. Like I said, the amount of weapons and units/soldiers is staggering, and that means the amount of ranks are too. This is why it's clear that most of the money and development when into the multiplayer game, as it truly does shine above the rest. Now this is good and all, but they removed vehicles from the multiplayer which were an awesome addition to 2010's game.

Technical
    One thing undeniable about Warfigher is that it looks absolutely beautiful. The Frostbite 2 engine is stunning, with realistic explosions, and various other things that make it a graphical gem. The lighting is very well done and everything about the graphics make me drool from the mouth. Then......oh damn, the game froze.

If you're one that loves graphics, you should check out Warfighter.

Warfighter is riddled with so many bugs it isn't even funny. The campaign would often drop it's frame-rate until it was frustratingly slow, and not just once but several times during the game. If not that, the game would freeze slightly during cutscenes. The cutscenes sometimes jumped about like a gorilla on cocaine, with frames going back and forth. This happened to me during the last scene, and I couldn't be bothered with watching it because of that. I've also heard that it's difficult to talk to your friends in a mutliplayer game with a mic.

The graphics is the only thing Warfighter does right, but you can't possibly hold that up on a pedestal with all of the bugs littered about. It's a shame really. Twice in one multiplayer match I spawned underneath the map, dieing both times.

Trophies
    The Warfighter platinum is by far no easy task. With a minimum of three playthroughs, one on Hard, one on Tier 1 (no HUD) and one on Hardcore (one life, you die you restart the campaign). Then you've got the multiplayer trophies. If you thought 2010 was hard, then you shouldn't bother with Warfighter. You need a 2000+ pointstreak for an Apache helicopter, you need to be the MVP in a match and far more. 20 kills with each weapon (equalling out to 1440 kills), 50,000 points with each class (300,000 points total) and more. This is a tough game to platinum.

Closing Thoughts
    Medal of Honor Warfighter is for the huge fans of the FPS genre, and fans of the Medal of Honor series. Casual gamers may be interested, but may soon get bored. Warfighter does few things right, with an outstanding amount done wrong. They even took away vehicles from multiplayer, you know the coolest thing about 2010's multiplayer?

Gameplay: 6/10
    Nothing really innovative, with more of the same from 2010.

Singleplayer: 5/10
    A hard to follow story line, with a terrible length of 4-5 hours. I expected at the very least 8-10.

Multiplayer: 9/10
    Best part of the game by far. Even better when playing with friends. Many unlockables to keep the player playing to unlock them all. EA's Battlelog website is a great place to keep track of stats, and really enhances the experience.

Technical: 4/10
    Bugs, bugs and more bugs. While the graphics were amazing, getting a headache from trying to watch the cutscenes were bothersome.

Overall: 6.5/10
    Last edited by dsluckay; 10-28-2012 at 05:04 PM.

Kiwi Defender

Nice review, Luck. Sucks to know it is one of those games where the develper totally forgets about one of it's portions and concentrates on the other one.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Resident PHD

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA the game only got a 6.5 out of 10. Now I have never played the game but obviously you are the worst reviewer ever. The game should get a 10/10 and games like Crap Of Dooty should get 6.5/10

Ok, people I wrote the troll post, now there is no need for anyone else to write one.

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

Retired...

This is why I skipped MoH: Warfighter and waited for Battlefield 4.

Thanks for the review kiddo.

Signature made by dsluckay & PPS bar made by RaveNScythE18

★ Extra Astronomical ★

I haven't tried multiplayer yet but I agree with your thoughts on the campaign

Quote Originally Posted by Smashguy View Post
    This is why I skipped MoH: Warfighter and waited for Battlefield 4.
    Same

NSFW

Yeah, I wasn't particularly interested in the game, and from what I've seen and heard I find a 6.5 very fitting... Nice one Luckay .

Sig made by Beam. Platbar by Thunder.

Sig made by Beam.
    Platbar made by Thunder.

Kid, not loser

From what I've seen this is actually one of the higher review scores, sadly. But great review man, I can see where you're coming from. I'm so glad I decided to skip this one.

Thanks to Bladia for the amazing Sig and Avy.

Change is mediocre

I'm glad people agree so far, I was really surprised at how little effort was put into the campaign, but I do love playing the multiplayer. Most bugs are in the campaign too, with the multiplayer just having a few trophies that don't pop correctly. It's too bad because I did like 2010.

Nope, nothing

That's a shame, it doesn't sound too good. It looked promising too.

Nice review, Luck.

Angel of Death

I liked the review overall, but your SP part of the review seemed to just detail your experience with the campaign rather than the campaign itself. And they really kicked Medal of Honor into the ground; DICE, just stick to Battlefield.

Kid, not loser

Quote Originally Posted by cengizbobengiz View Post
    I liked the review overall, but your SP part of the review seemed to just detail your experience with the campaign rather than the campaign itself. And they really kicked Medal of Honor into the ground; DICE, just stick to Battlefield.
    DICE actually didn't work on this one, like at all. They did the last ones mp, but not this time. Danger Close worked on it all, which is perhaps why it was made so poorly.

Thanks to Bladia for the amazing Sig and Avy.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

I was pretty excited for this game, then I heard about the glitches bugs etc. That immediately turned me away from this game which is a shame because I was considering buying the 2010 MoH before this one. Even though I haven't played the game myself (thank God) I think 6.5 might be a little generous.

Check Those Corners

Congratulations EA. You ruined possibly your best Shooter franchise in a record 2 INSTALLMENTS! Everybody, round of applause for EA!

(I rented it for X360)

#cutformesa

Quote Originally Posted by CallmeNasty View Post
    Congratulations EA. You ruined possibly your best Shooter franchise in a record 2 INSTALLMENTS! Everybody, round of applause for EA!

(I rented it for X360)
    ...since when is Battlefield not the(ir) best shooter franchise?

Current Playthrough Counts:
    Mass Effect: 25 || Mass Effect 2: 44
    Mass Effect 3: 15
    Add me for ME3 multiplayer shenanigans.
    First legit Mass Effect 3 100% on PS3T.

SERBIA STRONG

Thanks to Luckay for the ETGWG bar and avy, and Qurb for the sig!

Crocodile Hunter

Nice review man, told you it was a shit game

Sig by Apokolypz

PRO Member

Im enjoying this game, since it came out didn't take out the disc from my console, didn't finish campaign yet, but graphics is great I like the gameplay also, not complicated at all, when it comes to multiplayer absolutely love it, there are some bugs but they do not bug me at all

People fear what they can't understand, hate what they can't conquer

The Deathly Rhythm

So happy i cancelled my preorder before i can buy this shit, this game itself is the reason why i don't look at FPS the same anymore
    Avy and Sig made by the awesome DaRe_xLw

Feel free to add me: New PSN ID AzureBlaze99

Angel of Death

Quote Originally Posted by Kid_Loser View Post
    DICE actually didn't work on this one, like at all. They did the last ones mp, but not this time. Danger Close worked on it all, which is perhaps why it was made so poorly.
    Ah, I see. My bad. Then yes, Danger Close...Stick to just not making Medal of Honor.

Lvl 6 - Silver

I was going to get this because i used to play Medal of Honor back at the days at PC plus The Plat Image wasfreakin awesome but there's nothing more i hate than a game with Bugs i might still get it but not full price anymore Thanks dsluckay !!

Toggle Spoiler

For me trophies have become an integral part of gaming, like a stereo in a car. Is it really necessary? No. Is it a lot more fun with it though? Hell yeah!

quoted by Robinworldwide

Rangers F.C

Why do they keep making big blockbuster games with amazing graphics and amazing action scenes then forget to add actual good gameplay , you would imagine there would be a massive team working on these games , are they all YES men and afraid to say the game sucks , surly they notice before its release that it looks great but plays like shit
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast