Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Assassin's Creed III Review

This is a discussion on Assassin's Creed III Review within the Game Reviews forum, part of the Trophy Guides, Reviews & Articles; Assassin's Creed III Review by JackAttack Basic Information: Developer: Ubisoft Montreal Publisher: Ubisoft North American Release Date: October 30, 2012 ...

Legendary...Nuff Said

by JackAttack

Basic Information:
    Developer: Ubisoft Montreal
    Publisher: Ubisoft
    North American Release Date: October 30, 2012
    European Release Date: October 31, 2012
    Trophies: | 1 | 1 | 15 | 34 |
    Trophy Guide: Assassin's Creed III Trophy Guide by DaveyHasselhoff

Overview
    If the Assassin's Creed series has supplied us with anything over the past six years, it's been questions. With the series migrating its setting to the American Revolution for its conclusion, fans will finally find the answers they've been waiting for contained within a package bursting at the seams with content. Yet is it a package worth opening?

Gameplay
    Assassin's Creed III is massive in scope and stature, but the game is filled to the brim with incredible amounts of content and things to do. There have been a number of additions that make Assassin's Creed III feel much more fresh than previous outings. The addition of the Frontier is easily the best thing Ubisoft has thought up, with a huge, sprawling forest open for you to hunt animals, check in at cities like Lexington and Concord, and much, much more. Other additions include captaining a ship through naval battles during side missions, which is exhilarating and graphically astonishing. With all of these new augmentations, Assassin's Creed III feels like a true sequel.

Gameplay has also been refined, with controls being streamlined and simplified to make free-running and combat feel much more smooth. The change, while it may take some time to get used to, is generally a big improvement and allows for you to nimbly climb and traverse trees out in the Frontier. Combat is still pretty similar to previous entries, as it's mainly comprised of waiting to counter and then chaining kills together. Thanks to this, the game is still incredibly easy and you'll rarely find yourself close to death, though enemy AI is generally more aggressive than they have been before. Despite this, combat can still be a thrill thanks to Connor's dual-wielding ways and exciting kill animations.

It wouldn't be Assassin's Creed without stealth, which has also seen small improvements. You can still hide within crowds and on benches, but now when walking into high grass or bushes, Connor automatically ducks down to hide within it, creating a stealth-zone. It's intuitive, but enemies are often rather stupid when it comes to stealth. There have been times where I've stayed hidden in a stealth-zone whilst a guard is literally standing right next to me. Amusing, perhaps, but it further hinders the difficulty issues when you can easily hide in a multitude of different places.

Taking down Redcoats, Scorpion style.

A lot of things still feel tacked on. You can still send assassins out on their own missions, leveling them up and then using them in combat to aid you (even though you will never need the help) and there's still some crafting and selling here. That said, the game rarely forces anything upon you, allowing you to spend as much or as little time with the little things. The in-game economy has seen a large overhaul. Whereas in previous entries it'd be easy to quickly be overwhelmed with money, it's now difficult to gain it. Missions no longer reward you with money, and you also don't see a constant cash flow from the Davenport Homestead (the equivalent to the Villa in Assassin's Creed II). Instead, the only way to make money is to sell items, such as skins and meat from your hunting expeditions.

Side missions are plentiful and offer a good amount of variety, especially when you see direct benefits from them. Completing certain side missions allows you to liberate cities, allowing you to gain more assassin recruits. Side missions that pop up on the Homestead can be completed to allow more people to set up shop in the area, which can be taken advantage of to increase revenue or get new items.

However, with so much to do here, not everything works perfectly. As previously mentioned, a lot of features feel worthless and unrefined. It seems Ubisoft focused so much on packing a ton of content into the game that they didn't have time to make everything work at high-quality.

Still, the bulk of the gameplay is impressive and treads perfectly on the line between new and familiar. When there's so much content, and when so much of it is fun to do, it's difficult to complain.

Singleplayer
    Assassin's Creed III puts you under the hood of Connor Kenway, a half Native-American, half European assassin and ancestor of Desmond Miles who lived during the American Revolution. From his childhood to his adulthood, we get to see and experience the Revolutionary War through the eyes of a man whose only intent is to see that his people are safe, and his thirst for revenge is quenched.

The game starts off agonizingly slow, with an incredible amount of buildup and character development very rarely seen in games. It's not until a good three hours in before you even take up the role of Connor, let alone the four more you'll have to spend before you can don the coveted assassin robes. The slow start may be a drag, but for those who love a good plot and enjoy character development done right, you'll grow to appreciate the time Ubisoft took to craft a good story.

Throughout the thirty years in which the game takes place, you'll find yourself traveling anywhere from New York to Boston, witnessing and taking part in key events of the revolution. The historical accuracy is wonderful, and Colonial America is a fantastic backdrop for a game that often toys with complicated themes such as freedom and order.

The recreation of colonial cities such as Boston is wicked cool, man!

Connor, while not as easily likable as the suave Ezio, is definitely a more emotional character, highlighted by his excellent development. Often naive, he is relatable while still feeling distant and hard-skinned. A lone optimist in a world in which he finds himself surrounded by realists, Connor is a great character and an even better hero.

On the flipside, Desmond, the series' constant protagonist in the present day, also gets his share of screen-time with his own missions. Seeking to open a door that will lead to the remedy of the prophesied end of the world, Desmond is thrust back into the Animus to find the key through Connor. Once in a while, as his accompanying allies Shaun, Rebecca, and William (his father) reveal power cells located around the world, imperative to their allowance of exploring the temple, you finally get the chance to fight, hide, and traverse as Desmond. While brief, these missions still hold excitement, and the time out of the Animus can be spent uncovering Desmond's tarnished relationship with his father.

The conclusion, without giving anything away, is nothing other than unsatisfying, adding even more questions rather than giving us the answers we've wanted. For a game labeled as a conclusion to the series, it's difficult not to be disappointed.

However, it's more about the journey than the destination, and Connor's plot is wonderfully woven. His story, while slow to get rolling, later becomes an incredible tale of honor, pride, freedom, and overcoming adversity.

Multiplayer
    The acclaimed multiplayer originally introduced in Brotherhood makes another return here, and while mostly similar to its other versions, Assassin's Creed III's multiplayer offers a decent amount of refinements and additions. The idea of being the hunter whilst simultaneously being hunted still keeps tensions high, and pulling off an assassination or narrowly escaping a pursuer is incredibly satisfying.

Modes range from the classic Deathmatch and Domination to the new cooperative Wolfpack, which allows 2-4 players to run around maps to kill AI targets together before time runs out. Although the overall objective of each will differ, the essence is still either hiding from or assassinating others. The new maps generally have the same overall feel as previous ones, with areas being confined, but vertical, effectively turning into a playground for the many different customizable assassins. There are sixteen different characters to choose from, all with their different aesthetics and unlocks, though customization is limited to your current level and how much XP you have. Expect to grind quite a bit if you're wanting to make your character look especially badass.

I will look for you. I will find you. And I will kill you.

To keep in line with the narrative, the multiplayer is explained as a way to train Abstergo agents to become exceptional killers through the use of the Animus. Making it so that the multiplayer fits into the plot is a strong point that makes it feel much less tacked on than it otherwise would.

Overall, despite it being practically the same as its predecessors, the multiplayer is exhilarating and thoroughly impresses. It's likely that I'll find myself throwing many hours into it, and coming back to the game months later just to assassinate some peers. What more could you ask of a multiplayer, especially when it's as unique as this?

Technical
    Assassin's Creed III is aesthetically breathtaking. While perhaps not as colorful as the Italian Renaissance, Colonial America benefits from incredible weather effects and lively cities. On top of this, the game hosts great looking characters, all complimented by their wonderful animations. Cities are very well done, creating a historical atmosphere that holds true to what Boston and New York were like back nearly 250 years ago. It should also be noted that the water effects during naval battles are impressive, and quite possibly the best ever created. Assassin's Creed III puts to use a new graphics engine, and it shows. It's easily the best looking game Ubisoft has pushed out to date.

I used to be Snow White, but I drifted.

The accompanying musical score also impresses, giving texture and emotion to such a violent, story-driven game. In addition, most voice actors are great. Colonial America played host to a wide variety of cultures with varying accents, and it's great to see all characters getting their own small touches in that department.

In spite of all this, I have many major gripes within the technical department. Unlike its predecessors, Assassin's Creed III is unfortunately riddled with bugs. There's a lot of texture pop in, with some enemies not even showing up until you're standing next to them. Assassination targets can get clipped into moving carts and objects, halting progression and forcing a restart. The worst of all is the constant freezes in dialogue during cutscenes. Lips will keep moving, but no sound will come out until someone else speaks up. However, this results in the first dialogue track starting up again over the second. Perhaps if this happened once or twice, it would be forgivable, but when the bug triggers between one and five times every cutscene, it is incredibly annoying and breaks the otherwise flawless sense of immersion.

Trophies
    A near mimic of previous titles, the trophy list can be viewed as rather boring, save for a few fun ones such as having to perform a double assassination with a musket. Otherwise you get your average story-related, side mission, and collectibles trophies that won't do much to please trophy hunters, but will give the extra incentive for people to experience all there is to this massive game.

Closing Thoughts
    Assassin's Creed III is the definitive Assassin's Creed experience. The gameplay is as tight as it's ever been, the story and setting are wonderful, emotional, and easily come to life, and there's much fun to be had in playing the multiplayer and admiring the game's beauty. If you can get past the small nuances, you'll find that Assassin's Creed III is a game easily enjoyed, and one that is rich in content.

Gameplay: 10/10
    The combat, stealth, and traversal have all been refined, with numerous worthwhile additions added to the mix in order to enrich the experience. A few things still feel tacked on, but because the game never forces you to take part in them, there's nothing to complain about.

Singleplayer: 9/10
    Connor's story is well-developed and emotional, touching on numerous themes that tie in beautifully to the outstanding setting. Desmond feels like a much more important character, despite the ending being as unsatisfying as it is.

Multiplayer: 9/10
    Unique and fun, the multiplayer is a joy in spite of the fact that it's nearly identical to its predecessors.

Technical: 8/10
    The game looks beautiful, and the accompanying soundtrack is masterfully done. Voice acting is also top notch, but the sheer amount of technical bugs and glitches hinders the game in this department.

Overall: 9/10 Brilliant
    Last edited by JackAttack; 11-05-2012 at 09:14 PM.

Kiwi Defender

Great review, Jacko. From the sounds of it, the wait was actually worth it and the game shows off brilliantly (except for the glitches/bugs that the new engine brought along). Will definitely buy it when possible .

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Aussie Furry, Bitch

In a multiverses of different bodies and souls

I've yet to even play any AssCreed game, but I've heard a lot of good things about this and once I finish all the others I'll be buying this. Nice job.

Harvester of Souls

Nice review Jacky . Good read through and nice work. . I won't get the game since don't particularly care for AC games. Thanks for the work dude.

HOSTED BY GREAT DAZE TAZER!!!!! COME JOIN THE MAYHEM!!!

Guide Bar Created by Ds_luckay

Rise and Shine.

Awesome review, Jack! You made me want to get the game even more! I'm definitely going to be having this game by the end of this month, it's a must have!

September MotM 2013

Excellent Review Jack. I will be picking this up around Christmas for sure

Sig & Avy by Dare /#KILLER_ 4 Gotham (TV Show)

Lvl 4 - Silver

I give it a 9.9/10 - would be a 10 if it had more Ezio in it! lol But otherwise, a so far stellar game.

Good News, Everyone!

After finishing the game I agree with your assessment, these games end with a cliff-hanger / "wtf? moment" far too often. But that doesn't make them bad games.

Platinum Procrastinator

Good review Jack, however, I have to ask why is someone who isn't on the review team doing the official reviews? I thought only people who were on the RT were allowed to do them.
    Like TV shows, join the Small Screen Gossip group!

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by Denaratuck View Post
    Good review Jack, however, I have to ask why is someone who isn't on the review team doing the official reviews? I thought only people who were on the RT were allowed to do them.
    I allowed it to happen. Since Sub hasn't been kind enough to formally remove him from the team for quite some time now, and he offered to review a game that I don't think I am (or would've been) qualified to review, I decided to take advantage of that.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

A.W

Great review. Loving the game so much, I can't seem to put it down.

Kid, not loser

Nice review man. I really think I picked the wrong AC game this time

Thanks to Bladia for the amazing Sig and Avy.

Crocodile Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    I allowed it to happen. Since Sub hasn't been kind enough to formally remove him from the team for quite some time now, and he offered to review a game that I don't think I am (or would've been) qualified to review, I decided to take advantage of that.
    I thought he still had staff permissions because he had the 'editorial' thing that seems to be taking off so well.

As for the review I cant wait to play it after i finish Borderlands 2

Sig by Apokolypz

Legendary...Nuff Said

Quote Originally Posted by vettes_4-ever View Post
    After finishing the game I agree with your assessment, these games end with a cliff-hanger / "wtf? moment" far too often. But that doesn't make them bad games.
    Indeed. I was really hoping for more closure with the ending, but it's not like it pulled a Mass Effect 3 and the ending ruined the entire game/series. On the whole, AC3 was superb.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid_Loser View Post
    Nice review man. I really think I picked the wrong AC game this time
    I've heard positive things about Liberation as well, but whenever you shrink console-quality games onto a portable system you're always going to lose some quality. A shame that I wasn't intrigued enough to buy it, though. My Vita has been collecting dust for about 6 months now.

deviantART | Gifts | SOTM XXXVI
    Circumstances may change, but circumcisions are forever.

Aes Dana

This game is incredible. As mentioned in the reviews the bugs are the only minor issue with the game but even so, we are talking about bugs that don't affect gameplay. We are talking about minor bugs that affect the visuals. For example, in a cut scene the character talking won't have lips moving with the speech or not great graphics on the hands. The horse jitters when stuck in certain parts of the landscape and the game has minor detection and collision errrors in a few places. Basically for a game this big and stunning, this games minor and in no way hindering bugs aren't even woth worrying about. I have played this game for 10+ hours and it is the finest AC game i have played.

Rangers F.C

Excellent review mate , had been waiting for a gamer review will be getting this soon , cheers
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

Lvl 5 - Silver

Great review, will be getting this after i get AC Revelations, love the AC Series

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Nice review but so far for me the game is a 7/10 as the gameplay just isn't what it should be in my opinion. There are no stealth mechanic apart from long grass and bushes, you find yourself climbing and jumping when you just want to run and Connor 5 times out of 10 just jumps in a random direction also the combat is very predictable and extremely easy. in my opinion it is just a 'good' game and that is it.

'You're a soldier! Finish your mission! Show your loyalty! Face me.'

F**K AUTHORITY

Quote Originally Posted by RexHound View Post
    Nice review but so far for me the game is a 7/10 as the gameplay just isn't what it should be in my opinion. There are no stealth mechanic apart from long grass and bushes, you find yourself climbing and jumping when you just want to run and Connor 5 times out of 10 just jumps in a random direction also the combat is very predictable and extremely easy. in my opinion it is just a 'good' game and that is it.
    Exactly what I thought a 7/10. The game needed 2 more months of work and they need to learn the definition of OPTIONAL.
    Arguing online is like masturbating at McDonalds sure it's fun but do you really wanna be known as that guy

Change is good

Great review Jack, I wasn't a fan of Brotherhood nor Revelations, so I was hoping the third would be more of a throwback to the second. And seeing as though it adds a lot of new content, I see it's just that. Might just have to try this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast