Borderlands 2 - Mr. Torgue's Campaign of Carnage DLC Review

This is a discussion on Borderlands 2 - Mr. Torgue's Campaign of Carnage DLC Review within the Game Reviews forum, part of the Trophy Guides, Reviews & Articles; Borderlands 2 - Mr. Torgue's Campaign of Carnage DLC Review by JackAttack Basic Information: Developer: Gearbox Software Publisher: 2K Games ...

Legendary...Nuff Said

by JackAttack

Basic Information:
    Developer: Gearbox Software
    Publisher: 2K Games
    North American Release Date: November 20, 2012
    European Release Date: November 20, 2012
    Trophies: | 0 | 1 | 1| 1 |

Overview
    The Borderlands 2 content keeps on coming. The second DLC, Mr. Torgue's Campaign of Carnage, has arrived and Borderlands 2 fans can once again dip their toes into the extraordinary game. Outrageously over-the-top, the new add-on content fully encompasses "Badassitude," but is it worth your purchase?

Gameplay
    Still all about shooting and looting, Borderlands 2's gameplay is always fun and never grows stale. I've put over 100 hours into the main game and I've had a blast doing so. With a DLC, my eyes aren't glued to how well the overall gameplay is done however. Instead, I care about what kind of additions are added, and how great they are.

For this reason I was left utterly disappointed by Mr. Torgue's Campaign of Carnage. There simply aren't any worthwhile additions in this DLC, which makes the downloadable content boring. It's unable to separate itself from the main game.

Basically all that's added are a few new wave-based arenas. However, because Borderlands 2 already contained two arenas, these bring nothing new to the table and become repetitive quickly. The only reason I could even fathom someone wanting to put a lot of time into these arenas would be to collect Torgue Tokens - the new in-game currency. Tokens are collected through natural questing and progression, but you can farm them by taking part in the arenas.

Pyrocaustic Pete isn't very invincible after all.

However, the currency is poorly executed. The Tokens can be redeemed at Torgue vending machines that are litered throughout the new areas, but there's nothing worth getting from them. For a hefty amount of Tokens, you can purchase a random 'high-end' Torgue weapon, but they're really no different than the ones you can pick up from random loot locations. To sweeten the deal, if you collect an obscene amount of Tokens, you can buy a Legendary Torgue-grade weapon. However, the amount of time it would take to farm for the Tokens mirrors that of which it would take to farm for the weapon from the enemy it drops from anyway. It's a pointless feature.

Ultimately, the DLC adds nothing exciting and fresh in terms of gameplay. While the core aspects of Borderlands 2 are still great, the DLC itself is bland.

Singleplayer
    Mr. Torgue's Campaign of Carnage is an over-the-top roller coaster ride about another vault discovered on Pandora. You (the Vault Hunter) are in search of it, but with the location of the vault being buried in the Badass Crater of Badassitude, you're going to have to apease Mr. Torgue and become the ultimate champion of Pandora in order to gain access to its riches.

The story is just plain stupid, as is the writing. Gearbox kept caps lock on for the majority of the script, and the word "badass" is overused to smithereens. While initially perhaps charmingly funny due to Torgue's delivery, the writing soon becomes annoying. To quote Sir Hammerlock, I felt my brain cells committing suicide while attempting to endure this.

The Badass Badassasaurus of Badassitude... Badass.

Missions are extremely repetitive and get boring from the get-go. Most of the 4 hour-long DLC is spent climbing your way up to the top of totem pole by killing off random bosses that offer little challenge. Side missions are equally uninspired.

Even the new Invincible boss, Pyrocaustic Pete, is a let down due to the fight being considerably easy, especially when compared to other Invincibles.

It's boring, it's unenjoyable, it's repetitive, it's uninspired, and it's annoying.

Multiplayer
    Borderlands 2 is always better with a friend along - and that holds true here - but there just isn't much to do here that makes co-op worthwhile. Pyrocaustic Pete can be felled pretty easily by yourself, so co-op isn't required like it was with the Hyperious and Master Gee boss battles from the previous DLC. Additionally, because the content is uninspired, it's hard to add that much extra enjoyment to it by playing with some pals anyway.

That said, what's here is still solid. Drop-in and drop-out co-op still works well, making transitions between cooperative and solo seamless. It's a shame that the multiplayer portion of the game relies so heavily on the quality of what's offered in terms of missions. Not even the multiplayer can save this boat from sinking.

Technical
    Borderlands 2 looks crisp and unique - it always has. The new environments once again carry an uninspired color palette, similar to Captain Scarlett's, but it isn't as bad this time around due to some extra variation in terms of volcanic and town-like vistas, and detailed in-door environments.

Gray, meet Gray. Thankfully this isn't all there is.

Voice acting is superb once again, bringing characters to life. Mr. Torgue, while annoyingly over-the-top, still delivers his poorly written script with power. Piston, the main antagonist, is also rightfully menacing, and the rest of the returning and new cast of characters are done well.

The game is clean as well, with no noticeable bugs it's a step up from the previous DLC's sloppiness. It's still not fun, but the experience at least holds up well.

Trophies
    While fairly simple, the DLC's three-trophy suite is hindered by one of them because it involves collectibles. Bad collectibles at that. While the other two trophies encourage players to complete all story and side missions offered in the downloadable content, the third trophy involves picking up ten collectibles that will randomly drop from enemies at any given time. Ladies and gentlemen, this is not how you do collectibles, and it's a shame they tacked on a trophy for such a poorly done gameplay mechanic.

Closing Thoughts
    Mr. Torgue's Campaign of Carnage is bad. Really, really bad. There's nothing new that was added here to spice up the gameplay, the missions and writing are unusually awful, and there's nothing that can save the DLC from its flaws. Unless you have the season pass and need more Borderlands 2 in your life, I cannot suggest you play this one. It's horrible enough to make you not want to play the game again for months.

Gameplay: 4/10
    The core of the game is still fun, but there's nothing new here worth tearing into.

Singleplayer: 2/10
    As bad as it gets, a serious disappointment from Gearbox.

Multiplayer: 4/10
    It's better with friends, but it's still lackluster at best.

Technical: 9/10
    Looks, sounds, and performs well.

Overall: 4/10
    Last edited by JackAttack; 12-13-2012 at 09:05 PM.

Kiwi Defender

Nice review Jacko. Such a shame the DLC wasn't as good as it could've.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Change is good

That's too bad the DLCs have been getting low scores, yet the main game was considered legendary (nuff said ). Surprising, to say the least.

Hunter-Scholar-Gentleman

I'm going to take this with a grain of salt until I get to play it. The original Borderlands suffered from quite a bit of repetitiveness and I was expecting this to be the DLC that reminded me of the arenas in the first installment. With that being said, I appreciate the honest review and I am disappointed that the game's amazing team couldn't put together a more impressive showing. A wait and see on my part since I already have the season pass.

The Road So Far And The Road Ahead
    `2nd place Trophy Checklist (2013)
    `Checklist Spotlight #2 Winner (2014)

Currently Playing
    `Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor [100%]
    `LEGO The Lord of the Rings [100%]
    `Tomb Raider (PS4) [59%]

Signature & Avatar
    `courtesy of DaRe_xLw

#cutformesa

Are you old enough to be playing these kinds of games?

Current Playthrough Counts:
    Mass Effect: 25 || Mass Effect 2: 44
    Mass Effect 3: 15
    Add me for ME3 multiplayer shenanigans.
    First legit Mass Effect 3 100% on PS3T.

SERBIA STRONG

Thanks to Luckay for the ETGWG bar and avy, and Qurb for the sig!

Lvl 5 - Silver

I actually thought this DLC was pretty awesome, guess I was the only one.
    INTERESTED IN YOUTUBE PARTNERSHIP? APPLY NOW!
    https://partner.makerstudios.com/?re...0UU00000048Wmj
    Check out my Videos!

Legendary...Nuff Said

Quote Originally Posted by TerminalPhoenix View Post
    I'm going to take this with a grain of salt until I get to play it. The original Borderlands suffered from quite a bit of repetitiveness and I was expecting this to be the DLC that reminded me of the arenas in the first installment. With that being said, I appreciate the honest review and I am disappointed that the game's amazing team couldn't put together a more impressive showing. A wait and see on my part since I already have the season pass.
    There's already 2 arenas within the main game. The DLC just added a third, which is stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Curb View Post

deviantART | Gifts | SOTM XXXVI
    Circumstances may change, but circumcisions are forever.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by JackAttack View Post
    There's already 2 arenas within the main game. The DLC just added a third, which is stupid.

Three arenas if you count the creature slaughter dome also a gearbox developer asked if we wanted repeatable arenas for addons in a later date patch awhile ago.

The DLC is more of just a few go here kill them missions with some mr torgue lines and a raid boss thrown in without the raid boss there would be pretty much nothing to do really, If the third DLC isnt any good I'm kind of regretting getting the season pass but i thought they would be much better going off the previous games DLC.

Quote Originally Posted by dsluckay View Post
    That's too bad the DLCs have been getting low scores, yet the main game was considered legendary (nuff said ). Surprising, to say the least.
    This DLC scored like 8s and 9s from a few game reviewers but well.. the DLC seems way to quick they need at least another hour of content in the main story just to get the plot flow(or lack of one in the first place for either really) to get going i pretty much guessed what would happen after the first or second missions in both.

Also, i probably would of given it a 6.
    Last edited by Waystedyou; 12-15-2012 at 11:57 AM.

Lvl 6 - Silver

Couldn't disagree with this review more. Thought it was a far better DLC than the previous one.

"Stay Positive & Love Your Life"
    - 311 -

Retired trophy hunter

I admit the dlc isnt the greatest, but it is what I expected. I mean, I wasn't expecting Borderlands 3 when I was playing it. I wouldnt base anything off this review, a 4/10 is a pretty unfair score.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Hopefully the 3rd DLC pack (Hammerlock one) will be better. I'm not a fan of arena combat in these games, and have held off on buying the DLC for that very reason. Scarlett was fun for me, but Torgue just doesn't seem appealing.
    > LIKE my Facebook page, where I post Gaming News!! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Evere...22814831104589 <

Add me on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/The1TheBob?ref=tn_tnmn

Follow me - https://twitter.com/The1TheBob

My FAVE FIVE:

WWE: Goldust, Zack Ryder, Bray Wyatt, Cody Rhodes, Big E Langston

CMN
    PS4 - Christmas 2014

So the DLC really brings nothing new to the table?

Sig and Avatar from one of the Elite, Dare

Trophy Guide Grand Master

I wouldnt rate the DLC as low as this, while it isnt the best Borderlands DLC, it certainly isnt as bad as Moxxi's Underdome. Finding the collectibles sucks ass, BUT I thought it was still worthwhile. I personally liked the story in Captain Scarlett's DLC better than this one, BUT this one did include more interaction and humor from Tiny Tina, and that is always welcome. The new weapons didnt really bring anything to the table, but let's face it, they are easier to earn than the Seraph Crystals in Cpt Scarlett and in Borderlands 1, we didnt get better weapons from the DLC until the second to last DLC when the Turquoise weapons appeared with Crawmerax. Not everyone spent time replaying the same enemies over and over and over again just to get al the Orange weapons in the game, so this might be a good way for them to unlock some good guns. I would also score a little higher because Moxxi makes a new appearance and is hot with big boobs..

Hoff's final score 6.5/10

#cutformesa

Quote Originally Posted by DaveyHasselhoff View Post
    ...because Moxxi makes a new appearance and is hot with big boobs..
    You, sir, really are a gem. A true treasure of PS3T.

Current Playthrough Counts:
    Mass Effect: 25 || Mass Effect 2: 44
    Mass Effect 3: 15
    Add me for ME3 multiplayer shenanigans.
    First legit Mass Effect 3 100% on PS3T.

SERBIA STRONG

Thanks to Luckay for the ETGWG bar and avy, and Qurb for the sig!

The Site Mascot

Though it has such a low score I still plan to buy the DLC for 100%. I did it in Borderlands and I can do it in Borderlands 2

Avater and signature created by my Best Friend and brotha DaRe_xLw
    Aqua's Furry Adventures Through Time and Space.

PRO Member

I got the season pass played because i like trophies and I Generally enjoy the game play. As far as dlcs go I liked this one better than captain Scarlett dlc. Scarlett was kind of a tool bag. Torgue actually gave a bit of comic relief to the situation. Borderlands has a simple formula: Fast travel, shoot, loot, kill boss, loot , kill dickhead invincible, and enjoy the story if you want. The fact is borderlands hasn't changed since it debuted and if you think it got repetitive and boring maybe your just bored of the game itself.

On a side note 29 palms blows super hard monkey cock

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I think this one is better than Scarlett. While I enjoyed the first DLC, this one just blew me away with humor. Scarlett was about a new pirate theme, pretty new locations and a new vehicle. The characters weren't that great, while here... Mr. Torgue fits perfectly into the universe and with Tiny Tina and Moxxi, they create a great, fun trio. If you are going to look at those DLCs gameplaywise, you will be probably dissapointed with all of them. 4/10 is poor and this DLC does not deserve that kind of score.

I hope the last DLC will have something to do with Vladof. The "commercial" for their company was hilarious.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Curb View Post
    Very interesting point

Seeing someone of such a young age review such a mature game insults my beliefs, and represents the site poorly

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by DaveyHasselhoff View Post
    I wouldnt rate the DLC as low as this, while it isnt the best Borderlands DLC, it certainly isnt as bad as Moxxi's Underdome. Finding the collectibles sucks ass, BUT I thought it was still worthwhile. I personally liked the story in Captain Scarlett's DLC better than this one, BUT this one did include more interaction and humor from Tiny Tina, and that is always welcome. The new weapons didnt really bring anything to the table, but let's face it, they are easier to earn than the Seraph Crystals in Cpt Scarlett and in Borderlands 1, we didnt get better weapons from the DLC until the second to last DLC when the Turquoise weapons appeared with Crawmerax. Not everyone spent time replaying the same enemies over and over and over again just to get al the Orange weapons in the game, so this might be a good way for them to unlock some good guns. I would also score a little higher because Moxxi makes a new appearance and is hot with big boobs..

Hoff's final score 6.5/10
    daveys rates 6.5...4.5 for the gameplay and 1 for each boobie...class act

Lvl 2 - Bronze

The Butt Fumble LOL!!!!! Damn that play was funny in real time, summed up the Jets season in 1 play!