2012 Review Team Game of the Year Awards: Most Surprising Game of 2012

This is a discussion on 2012 Review Team Game of the Year Awards: Most Surprising Game of 2012 within the Game Reviews forum, part of the Trophy Guides, Reviews & Articles; As 2012 comes to a close, the Review Team took a look back at all the great games of 2012 ...

Kiwi Defender

2012 Review Team Game of the Year Awards: Most Surprising Game of 2012

As 2012 comes to a close, the Review Team took a look back at all the great games of 2012 and decided to bring PS3Trophies.com our selection for:

Most Surprising Game of 2012

We define a title as surprising if it came in with no or low expectations and ended up surprising us with its overall quality or uniqueness. Each member of the RT voted on a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place game and the results below were based on the results of each members' votes. Eligible titles were released between 12/1/2011 and 12/1/2012.

This year, we decided to add a "Legacy Vote", which consists of asking previous note-worthy RT members to have a say in these awards, with the purpose of trying to take into account a bigger list of games than those only 6 of us played.

Come back tomorrow as we will award Best Technical Game of 2012.

First Place

Journey

Quote Originally Posted by Gauss
    Like most games made by thatgamecompany, generally speaking take whatever you think a game will be based on the screenshots and summary and then bet your life savings it won't be that. How this company is able to come up with these ideas is astounding, but in the most pleasant way possible. Journey was a little title that came in without any expectations and ended up being one of the titles in 2012 that reminded me why I love gaming and why, even after over a decade of gaming, I really can't imagine where this industry can go and what it can do.

Second Place

Dishonored

Quote Originally Posted by JackAttack
    Dishonored is one of those games that looked good before release, but never really got much time in the limelight. When it finally landed in stores, it blew people away. The gameplay, such a change from the normal 'pew-pew' of most FPS, surprised many with its hardcore stealth mechanics and deep options.

Sleeping Dogs

Sleeping Dogs

Quote Originally Posted by Kerwan_Ratchet
    I've never been one for modern, open world games that take place in cities, but this game took me completely by surprise, especially its emotionally and engrossing tale of violence, corruption and crime. It's everything that GTA 4 should have been, and is well worth picking up.
    Last edited by Nagflar; 12-22-2012 at 04:01 PM.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

PRO Member

It seems Journey is quite popular I missed the deal on psn and I probably would've picked it up, I'll have to try it out soon though... as for the other two games I don't think I'll ever play.

Sig by Smashguy

#cutformesa

Quote Originally Posted by DRAGON1NINJA View Post
    It seems Journey is quite popular I missed the deal on psn and I probably would've picked it up, I'll have to try it out soon though... as for the other two games I don't think I'll ever play.
    Journey is incredible, and I highly recommend it. I'm hoping to nab the disc-based Collector's Edition this Christmas.

As for the other two, Sleeping Dogs is fun but ultimately I don't think it's quite as special as everyone gives it credit for. I'm ultimately ambivalent toward it. Dishonored, however, is absolutely my pick for GotY and I recommend giving it a rent at least.

Current Playthrough Counts:
    Mass Effect: 25 || Mass Effect 2: 44
    Mass Effect 3: 15
    Add me for ME3 multiplayer shenanigans.
    First legit Mass Effect 3 100% on PS3T.

SERBIA STRONG

Thanks to Luckay for the ETGWG bar and avy, and Qurb for the sig!

Synthwave <3

Great choice for #1! Journey was definitely one of my favorite games this year. I haven't played Dishonored or Sleeping Dogs but I'll check them out soon. Sounds like a lot of people enjoyed them!

Sig by PixieofDarkness
    Platbar by djunglist

My trophy checklist

Latest :

The Last of Us

Angel of Death

Meh, I thought Journey is overrated. Didn't really catch my attention.

Grandmasterpiece

I'm glad about how much praise Journey is getting for a downloadable title.

Outdated Plat-bar by ThunderStick, sig by DaRe, avatar by ROBO3AG13
    Click the sig and be whisked away to my checklist (now with updates!)! Or click here to visit my YouTube channel! Vote on my Playstation Grandmasterpiece HERE!

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by cengizbobengiz View Post
    Meh, I thought Journey is overrated. Didn't really catch my attention.
    That's what we all thought about RE6 as well .

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    That's what we all thought about RE6 as well .
    You beat me to it

Cant wait to try Journey out. The amount of amazing reveiws and feed back on that game really impressed me because I mean I would have never heard of it if it wasnt for this site.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I saw Dishonored videos and it looks very interesting, plus the trophy list is like no other, seems like a fun title

Go Blue Jackets!!

I really don't see the whole deal with Journey. Played it, and beat it I just couldn't get into it. Its one of those games (uncharted 3) that if you don't like EVERYONE calls you out and says you have no taste. (but again I have a very obscure taste in games)

Yeah it has amazing graphics, music, and concept but for all these major websites to call it GOTY worthy seems a little to much. But thats just me.

I loved sleeping dogs though, really glad that game is getting praised.
    I don't own a PS3 anymore because my games of gaming have come to an end...

Lvl 7 - Gold

Want to play sleeping dogs. Dishonored was amazing and is probably my GOTY. Havent played FC3 or ME3 yet

Ice Cream Firefighter

looks like a awesome list there

PS3/PS4/PSVita
    great_daze_tazer
    Xbone
    GreatDazeTazer

Now Playing
    FFXIV A Realm Reborn
    Infamous Second Son
    Lego Titles

PRO Member

All really good games and I have them all

Aussie Furry, Bitch

In a multiverses of different bodies and souls

Quote Originally Posted by bnecker717 View Post
    Great choice for #1! Journey was definitely one of my favorite games this year. I haven't played Dishonored or Sleeping Dogs but I'll check them out soon. Sounds like a lot of people enjoyed them!
    They're both awesome games, and ones that I really enjoyed playing. I expected them both to be average, in all honesty.

PRO Member

I don't remember how I even heard about Dishonored but I remember telling people about it and none of my friends had heard about it either... was just a flat out awesome game and pretty fresh concept if there is such a thing anymore... still gotta check out Journey though!