Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

2012 Review Team Game of the Year Awards: Best Technical Game of 2012

This is a discussion on 2012 Review Team Game of the Year Awards: Best Technical Game of 2012 within the Game Reviews forum, part of the Trophy Guides, Reviews & Articles; Originally Posted by Aboelsas first of all i knew someone would mention that about the walking dead it WAS a ...

#cutformesa

Quote Originally Posted by Aboelsas View Post
    first of all i knew someone would mention that about the walking dead it WAS a PSN exclusive now it joined the retail games hell it even has it's own CE set anyways back to the point just as curb said i will try it out but lenght of the game does matter, the story mode makes a difference and number of trophies matter well not that much but combine all those things and what u get is game u will never forget it may even touch your feelings and thoughts i of all people know not to judge a game prior to playing it but just think it is way overhyped while other amazing games out there are underrated as fot u nagflar dishonored is a great game i saw my brother playing it and i should start playing it next week once i finish POP just because u didn't like it means it's a bad game and the reason i picked spec ops and walking dead cause those are the two game in my mind atm that have a great story to tell but i am sure there are plenty others out there in the end i am not saying journey is a bad game i'm just saying don't u think guys that it has taken much of ur attention than it should have i will try to get it and try it out myself one day for what it's worth
    Length doesn't really matter. If it's profound and excellent, why should matter whether it's five hours or fifty? For example, how would you quantify whether or not a television vs. film adaptation of a book was better? You could argue that a television series or miniseries would have more time allotted and allow for better pacing and development, whereas for a film you could argue that its shorter nature means you need to get down to the essence of the story and themes in a shorter amount of time, making the overall experience more concentrated and profound.

You cannot factor quantity (length) of a(n) object(s) or experience into quality. There's zero causality there.

Current Playthrough Counts:
    Mass Effect: 25 || Mass Effect 2: 44
    Mass Effect 3: 15
    Add me for ME3 multiplayer shenanigans.
    First legit Mass Effect 3 100% on PS3T.

SERBIA STRONG

Thanks to Luckay for the ETGWG bar and avy, and Qurb for the sig!

Kiwi Defender

first of all i knew someone would mention that about the walking dead it WAS a PSN exclusive now it joined the retail games hell it even has it's own CE set anyways back to the point just as curb said i will try it out but lenght of the game does matter, the story mode makes a difference and number of trophies matter well not that much but combine all those things and what u get is game u will never forget it may even touch your feelings and thoughts i of all people know not to judge a game prior to playing it but just think it is way overhyped while other amazing games out there are underrated as fot u nagflar dishonored is a great game i saw my brother playing it and i should start playing it next week once i finish POP just because u didn't like it means it's a bad game and the reason i picked spec ops and walking dead cause those are the two game in my mind atm that have a great story to tell but i am sure there are plenty others out there in the end i am not saying journey is a bad game i'm just saying don't u think guys that it has taken much of ur attention than it should have i will try to get it and try it out myself one day for what it's worth
    I am not saying Dishonored is a bad game by any means (and, to be clear, I don't think it is a bad game). I'm just saying it didn't impress me as much as Journey and that it didn't have the same quality Journey did.

Are we focusing too much on Journey? Maybe, but when a game impresses you, you tend to praise it and give it as much limelight as you can. Had most of us been impressed by, say, Lolipop Chainsaw, then we'd be praising and mentioning Lolipop Chainsaw much more, since that's the way Awards work.

I'm not denying there have been other great games this year, I'm simply stating Journey did it better for me and a few others than they did.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Lvl 6 - Silver

i see ur point here m8 and curb u misunderstood me what i meant by length is the more u play in a game the more u love the characters and get attached and wait for a sequal of course that doesnot apply to a bad game cause then long or short ur not gonna play it anyways take for example Killzone 2 i played the game it was great but i played it again on elite and kept trying and trying until i pulled it off but during that process i actually like the game got so attached to the characters seth and recko i almost shed a tear or two while watching the annoucment of Killzone 3 on the other hand i played the darkness 2 it's a great game with a fun story and a good twist to it too but i played the game and got the plat in two days have i got to know the characters well lived within the enviroment of the game heck no i barely remember the main characters name Jackie the only difference between those two good games is that one is short and the other is long u see where i am going here

Toggle Spoiler

For me trophies have become an integral part of gaming, like a stereo in a car. Is it really necessary? No. Is it a lot more fun with it though? Hell yeah!

quoted by Robinworldwide

Change is mediocre

You do realize this is best technical game of 2012, right? Length of the game, it not being retail and by god certainly trophies don't change the fact that Journey gave the player a better technical experience than others.

Kiwi Defender

Just letting you guys knwo I deleted the double post and the ones that quoted it .

Toggle Spoiler

My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

#hashtag

i see ur point here m8 and curb u misunderstood me what i meant by length is the more u play in a game the more u love the characters and get attached and wait for a sequal of course that doesnot apply to a bad game cause then long or short ur not gonna play it anyways take for example Killzone 2 i played the game it was great but i played it again on elite and kept trying and trying until i pulled it off but during that process i actually like the game got so attached to the characters seth and recko i almost shed a tear or two while watching the annoucment of Killzone 3 on the other hand i played the darkness 2 it's a great game with a fun story and a good twist to it too but i played the game and got the plat in two days have i got to know the characters well lived within the enviroment of the game heck no i barely remember the main characters name Jackie the only difference between those two good games is that one is short and the other is long u see where i am going here
    Dude 1st of all Killzone franchise sucks

2nd u wot m8

3rd That's Their Opinion so deal with it.

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Ramon3110 View Post
    Dude 1st of all Killzone franchise sucks

2nd u wot m8

3rd That's Their Opinion so deal with it.
    1st what's ur probelm
    2nd KZ2 is amazing but he y that'smy opinion
    3rd they are annoucing awards not stating their personal opinons and i am discussing it with them so unless u hv something good to say F off

Toggle Spoiler

For me trophies have become an integral part of gaming, like a stereo in a car. Is it really necessary? No. Is it a lot more fun with it though? Hell yeah!

quoted by Robinworldwide

Kiwi Defender

3rd they are annoucing awards not stating their personal opinons and i am discussing it with them so unless u hv something good to say F off
    Technically, since we are the ones that voted for the Awards, our opinions are the ones that influenced said votes. Thus, in our opinion, the best "Technical games" are Journey, Far Cry 3 and Mass Effect 3.

Toggle Spoiler

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    Technically, since we are the ones that voted for the Awards, our opinions are the ones that influenced said votes. Thus, in our opinion, the best "Technical games" are Journey, Far Cry 3 and Mass Effect 3.
    well but u are speaking on behalf of the site so i assumed i'm allowed to discuss ur choices no need to get all offensive on me guys we are just gamers expressing differen opinons !!

Toggle Spoiler

quoted by Robinworldwide

Kiwi Defender

well but u are speaking on behalf of the site so i assumed i'm allowed to discuss ur choices no need to get all offensive on me guys we are just gamers expressing differen opinons !!
    It's more on behalf of the RT than on behalf of the site, but yes .

I'm not getting offensive, I'm simply arguing with you the same you're arguing with me. Afterall, like you just said, we're all gamers with different opinions and tastes, and there's nothing bad about discussing why we like some things better .

Toggle Spoiler

Korean Girl Group Groupie

Hopefully games like Final Fantasy XIII-2, The Unfinished Swan, and Gravity Rush got some love as well (would be nice to see beyond the top three, and what others had to say about other contenders).

I do love Journey as much as the next person, but I also was a huge fan of Flower and to me there are slight changes between the two, with Journey being a bit more blunt about it's meaning, in which Flower was a bit more subtle with the way it went about it - plus doing it's story in the form of personification was unique at the time. I wonder how many of these Journey lovers didn't play Flower before it, because they were turned off by the idea, or even the name. Hopefully those previous skeptics will go back and play Flower now that they've had their fill with Journey.

Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicant81 View Post
    Hopefully games like Final Fantasy XIII-2, The Unfinished Swan, and Gravity Rush got some love as well (would be nice to see beyond the top three, and what others had to say about other contenders).

I do love Journey as much as the next person, but I also was a huge fan of Flower and to me there are slight changes between the two, with Journey being a bit more blunt about it's meaning, in which Flower was a bit more subtle with the way it went about it - plus doing it's story in the form of personification was unique at the time. I wonder how many of these Journey lovers didn't play Flower before it, because they were turned off by the idea, or even the name. Hopefully those previous skeptics will go back and play Flower now that they've had their fill with Journey.
    I'll spoil the surprise by telling you that none of those made it to any top 3 lists. XIII-2 did get a nomination, but it was a single one, so it stood no chance against most of the other games.

In the case of Gravity Rush, those who own a Vita didn't nominate it, and although I played it on a store and enjoyed it, I can't really nominate something based on just a few minutes of gameplay. Same thing happened with Unfinishwed Swan, which I could only try for a while and, as far as I know, no one else tried it out.

I played Flower and enjoyed it a lot, but never bought it myself. However, I do agree it is an excellent game.

Toggle Spoiler

PRO Member

In a multiverses of different bodies and souls

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicant81 View Post
    I put in a vote for FF13-2, but sadly no one else shares my love and it didn't make the cut.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I have got to disagree with Mass Effect 3. There were many times when I fell through the ground and out of the level or the walls wouldn't load and I would be looking at space. I also think some of the cinematics get sketchy towards the beginning, the people running in the streets of Vancouver are just two dimensional shadows, the piles of bodies at the teleporter at the end are all the same character model, the conversations got neutered and the Codex was the weakest it's ever been. Obviously the glitches probably didn't happen to everyone and the cinematics thing could just be me but the rest I think is accurate. I like the other choices though!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12