Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2012 Review Team Game of the Year Awards: Best Technical Game of 2012

This is a discussion on 2012 Review Team Game of the Year Awards: Best Technical Game of 2012 within the Game Reviews forum, part of the Trophy Guides, Reviews & Articles; As 2012 comes to a close, the Review Team took a look back at all the great games of 2012 ...

Kiwi Defender

2012 Review Team Game of the Year Awards: Best Technical Game of 2012

As 2012 comes to a close, the Review Team took a look back at all the great games of 2012 and decided to bring PS3Trophies.com our selection for:

Best Technical Game of 2012

We define a game's technical experience as its overall visual package: Environment and Character design, Graphics, Sound, etc. Each member of the RT voted on a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place game and the results below were based on the results of each members' votes. Eligible titles were released between 12/1/2011 and 12/1/2012.

This year, we decided to add a "Legacy Vote", which consists of asking previous note-worthy RT members to have a say in these awards, with the purpose of trying to take into account a bigger list of games than those only 6 of us played.

Come back tomorrow as we will award Best Multiplayer Game of 2012.

First Place

Journey

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar
    Journey is a game that simply takes your breath away due to how well-made it is. The way the game conveys emotions and tells a story through the sole use of audiovisual material is incredible, and it's all thanks to the amount of work Thatgamecompany put into the game's technical side. Afterall, the game not only looks brilliant, but said brilliant graphics are accompanied by an amazing score that makes this game a true master piece that simply makes your jaw drop in awe.
    Second Place

Far Cry 3

Quote Originally Posted by Curb
    Far Cry 3 is gorgeous. Its visuals are crisp, its environments and characters are richly detailed, and its character animations should be an example to the rest of the industry. I wouldn't go as far as saying it's the current benchmark, because that's abjectly not true, but as far as console games go you'd be pretty hard-pressed to find another game of this quality.
    Third Place

Mass Effect 3

Quote Originally Posted by Gauss
    Although Mass Effect 3 came out of the gate with some poor reception of its story, it is hard, if not impossible, to deny its technical achievements. The depth and character of the universe is astounding and the attention to detail is undeniable.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

supreme choices, especially with placing mass effect 3 in them. really want to play Journey and Far Cry 3.

Lvl 4 - Silver

Journey sounds interesting. Am I the only one who haven't played it yet?

Quote Originally Posted by A random guy on youtube
    If you want to marry a Korean woman, you will have to beat their father in StarCraft first \(-.-\)

Lvl 7 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by jooakim View Post
    Lol i havent played it too

Lvl 9 - Gold

Why do people gotta keep steering me towards getting farcry 3 ? already so much i wanna get next year.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I can't believe I missed out on the "12 Days of Christmas" sale for the Journey/Unfinished Swan bundle.

55% off, darn it!!!

God of War (2010/08/29) God of War II (2010/09/06) FIFA10 (2010/09/16) God of War III (2010/09/18) Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (2010/10/05) Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (2010/10/11) Assassin's Creed II (2011/07/11) Trine 2 (2013/05/27) The Walking Dead (2013/07/15)

PRO Member

Congrats Journey I seriously need to buy that eventually. I just know that it will be on PS Plus soon though

Sig by Bladia

The One and Only

That's it, I'm getting Journey!

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist back in contruction!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop with knuckle and Bladia, currently taking requests!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by DaRe_xLw View Post
    That's it, I'm getting Journey!
    Yeah me too!!

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by brotherfranciz View Post
    I can't believe I missed out on the "12 Days of Christmas" sale for the Journey/Unfinished Swan bundle.

55% off, darn it!!!
    I got the deal. Its great.
    I started to play Journey on Wednesday night and couldn't put my controller down till it was finished. I was extremely tired and it was way past my usual bedtime. So that tells you it's a great game. Although I played the demo and my impressions were meh. Well done thatgamecompany well deserved.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by jooakim View Post
    I haven't either. It really never interested me. now with the awards it has gotten It has got me curious at least.

Sig and Avatar by Jondeere

Lvl 6 - Silver

everybody is talking about journey and how it is the best game this year i haven't played it yet and as much beautiful and peaceful everyone saying it is i still don't think a PSN game is entitled to be the best game this year we have many other retail games out this year don't tell me than none is as good as journey besides where is dishonored, Spec ops the line and the walking dead just to name a few !!

Toggle Spoiler

For me trophies have become an integral part of gaming, like a stereo in a car. Is it really necessary? No. Is it a lot more fun with it though? Hell yeah!

quoted by Robinworldwide

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I want Journey so bad.......

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Definately agree with Mass effect 3 being up there, im hoping to get far cry 3 soon aswell.

Good choices all round guys

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by abhinandhan22 View Post
    Likewise. What really is Far Cry......?
    Sync Unison: Element of Spirits

#cutformesa

Quote Originally Posted by Aboelsas View Post
    everybody is talking about journey and how it is the best game this year i haven't played it yet and as much beautiful and peaceful everyone saying it is i still don't think a PSN game is entitled to be the best game this year we have many other retail games out this year don't tell me than none is as good as journey besides where is dishonored, Spec ops the line and the walking dead just to name a few !!
    Cost and number of trophies don't determine the worthiness of a game. Give Journey a try and you'll understand.

Those games made our other lists, but they weren't as impressive technically. Cel-shaded and cartoon-esque art styles don't necessarily impress as much as quality in realistic graphics, and the audio may not have been impressive as it was in these titles.

Current Playthrough Counts:
    Mass Effect: 25 || Mass Effect 2: 44
    Mass Effect 3: 15
    Add me for ME3 multiplayer shenanigans.
    First legit Mass Effect 3 100% on PS3T.

SERBIA STRONG

Thanks to Luckay for the ETGWG bar and avy, and Qurb for the sig!

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by Aboelsas View Post
    Here's the retail version, in case you missed it.

Journey impressed me more than most retail games out there, and the same goes for a lot of people as well. Add the fatc that Dishonored didn't impress me visually nor aesthetically as much, that I never played Spec Ops and that The Walking Dead was just well-done (in other words, it didn't excell on a technical level) and of course I'll choose Journey over all of them all the time.

I'm also amazed you even mention The Walking Dead, seeing how it was PSN-exclusive for a while, too. Talk about double-standards .

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Aussie Furry, Bitch

In a multiverses of different bodies and souls

Quote Originally Posted by abhinandhan22 View Post
    That makes three of us

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    Here's the retail version, in case you missed it.

Journey impressed me more than most retail games out there, and the same goes for a lot of people as well. Add the fatc that Dishonored didn't impress me visually nor aesthetically as much, that I never played Spec Ops and that The Walking Dead was just well-done (in other words, it didn't excell on a technical level) and of course I'll choose Journey over all of them all the time.

I'm also amazed you even mention The Walking Dead, seeing how it was PSN-exclusive for a while, too. Talk about double-standards .
    first of all i knew someone would mention that about the walking dead it WAS a PSN exclusive now it joined the retail games hell it even has it's own CE set anyways back to the point just as curb said i will try it out but lenght of the game does matter, the story mode makes a difference and number of trophies matter well not that much but combine all those things and what u get is game u will never forget it may even touch your feelings and thoughts i of all people know not to judge a game prior to playing it but just think it is way overhyped while other amazing games out there are underrated as fot u nagflar dishonored is a great game i saw my brother playing it and i should start playing it next week once i finish POP just because u didn't like it means it's a bad game and the reason i picked spec ops and walking dead cause those are the two game in my mind atm that have a great story to tell but i am sure there are plenty others out there in the end i am not saying journey is a bad game i'm just saying don't u think guys that it has taken much of ur attention than it should have i will try to get it and try it out myself one day for what it's worth

Toggle Spoiler

For me trophies have become an integral part of gaming, like a stereo in a car. Is it really necessary? No. Is it a lot more fun with it though? Hell yeah!

quoted by Robinworldwide

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by brotherfranciz View Post

55% off, darn it!!!
    Im glad somebody else missed it too

Quote Originally Posted by dividsmythe View Post
    I got the deal. Its great.
    I started to play Journey on Wednesday night and couldn't put my controller down till it was finished. I was extremely tired and it was way past my usual bedtime. So that tells you it's a great game. Although I played the demo and my impressions were meh. Well done thatgamecompany well deserved.
    Now you're just trying too hard to make us jealous

Sig by Smashguy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast