Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2012 Review Team Game of the Year Awards: Best Singleplayer Game of 2012

This is a discussion on 2012 Review Team Game of the Year Awards: Best Singleplayer Game of 2012 within the Game Reviews forum, part of the Trophy Guides, Reviews & Articles; As 2012 comes to a close the Review Team took a look back at all the great games of 2012 ...

Suspended

2012 Review Team Game of the Year Awards: Best Singleplayer Game of 2012

As 2012 comes to a close the Review Team took a look back at all the great games of 2012 and decided to bring PS3Trophies.com our selection for:

Best Singleplayer Game of 2012

We define a game's singleplayer experience as the overall game that is experienced with just one player, everything from the story and campaign to minigames and added content. Each member of the RT voted on a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place game and the results below were based on the results of each members' votes. Eligible titles were released between 12/1/2011 and 12/1/2012.

This year, we decided to add a "Legacy Vote", which consists of asking previous note-worthy RT members to have a say in these awards, with the purpose of trying to take into account a bigger list of games than those only 6 of us played.

Come back tomorrow as we will give out the final award, the coveted Overall Game of the Year.

First Place

Dishonored

Quote Originally Posted by Kerwan_Ratchet
    One of the best and well crafted tales in recent memory, Dishonored is a game that you'll be playing for hours and just want to keep playing. Well worth your cash, which is saying something considering the price of games.

Second Place

Journey

Quote Originally Posted by Gauss
    But Gauss, how can a game without any real characters and no narrative thats only a few hours be the best Singleplayer game of the year? Its elementary my dear reader, Journey is a few hours of everything that is good in gaming. It tells a simple, but tragic story in a way that makes you think, that makes you react to the universe, that stays with you after the game is off. The highs and lows, the way it ends, it all changes you. Journey defines storytelling in a way that only games can tell a story, its the type of game that makes you proud to be a gamer because this is some of what games should be.
    Third Place

Assassin's Creed 3

Quote Originally Posted by JackAttack
    The tale of Assassin's Creed III is as good as it is bold. Delving into intense themes of freedom, justice, and more, ACIII sets a standard for the series in what story-telling can be. Connor is a good character, and the surrounding cast - most notably Haytham - are all developed wonderfully. Though Desmond's story continues to disappoint, Connor's is extremely strong.
    Last edited by Nagflar; 12-24-2012 at 09:17 PM.

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

Probably would have put Journey first personally speaking but Dishonored is a fine singleplayer experience, it did so many things right and was a joy to play. A well contained miniverse of Assassin skills and sneaky bugger antics.

Curious to know what games came close to the top 3? I can only think of Max Payne 3 and Sleeping Dogs that were truly fun to play in Singleplayer, though i enjoyed playing Borderlands 2 on my own.

Korean Girl Group Groupie

A painful omission from here is The Walking Dead. That game is sweeping up awards from every major reviewer, site, and publication in sweeping fashion, and for it to miss out on being in the top 3 is a bit of an obvious oversight.

There were a lot of good games this year, but the one that resonates with me, and is a single player experience that allows your input to dictate the course of actions was Telltale's masterpiece is that is going to be caveat experience of this year, that stays with me long after the controller has been put down. No other game, really made me question the empathetic depths that a gamer can attune with a fictional universe and made me sit there and ponder whether or not the actions I made in the game were the ones that had the adverse affect that I wanted.

I could go on and on about this game, and how it seems to be crossing boundaries with gamers from casual iphones to hardcore market, and having a level of accessibility that is unheralded in it's pairing with delivering a top-notch narrative, but it would likely fall on deaf ears as the detractors declare it an "interactive movie" or "too simple." But one thing that is hard to argue is that a single player title hasn't been as polarizing as this one in it's drawing power, and lasting appeal as The Walking Dead was.

It should have made it, and if it wasn't at the least fourth on the list, is, in my opinion, a poor reflection of the site.

Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

Let Me Watch

I seem to be the only person who didn't like Dishonored. Got my plat today, and there were few enjoyable parts.
    Last edited by AlecDawesome; 12-24-2012 at 09:41 PM.
    Thanks to djunglist for the sig and avy

"Got more soul than a sock with a hole"

Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by Larrydavidsavatar View Post
    Curious to know what games came close to the top 3? I can only think of Max Payne 3 and Sleeping Dogs that were truly fun to play in Singleplayer, though i enjoyed playing Borderlands 2 on my own.
    Max Payne 3, Sleeping Dogs, The Walking Dead and Borderlands 2 were some of the other games that got more than one nomination. A couple of others got a nomination or two as well, but I can't remember them off the top of my head .

Trophy Guide Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by AlecDawesome View Post
    I seem to be the only person who didn't like Dishonored. Got my plat today, and their were few enjoyable parts.
    I agree with you my friend....I am nearing the end of my non lethal playthrough of Dishonored and I find myself thinking, "Isn't this over yet?" I personally rate ME3 and AC3 above Dishonored...but thats just my opinion

*insert Latin phrase*

Dishonored eh? Here's to hoping I get it for Christmas, as it does look like a good game.

Outdated Plat-bar by ThunderStick, sig by DaRe, avatar by ROBO3AG13
    Click the sig and be whisked away to my checklist (now with updates!)! Or click here to visit my YouTube channel! Vote on my Playstation Grandmasterpiece HERE!

#cutformesa

Quote Originally Posted by DaveyHasselhoff View Post
    I agree with you my friend....I am nearing the end of my non lethal playthrough of Dishonored and I find myself thinking, "Isn't this over yet?" I personally rate ME3 and AC3 above Dishonored...but thats just my opinion
    ME3 was my top pick, but the only other person who might've chosen it was Gauss, and I know he wasn't as impressed as he was with Mass Effect 2.

Current Playthrough Counts:
    Mass Effect: 25 || Mass Effect 2: 44
    Mass Effect 3: 15
    Add me for ME3 multiplayer shenanigans.
    First legit Mass Effect 3 100% on PS3T.

SERBIA STRONG

Thanks to Luckay for the ETGWG bar and avy, and Qurb for the sig!

Platinum Procrastinator

This seems to be the worst list of the review team categories in my opinion. No ME3 or The Walking Dead, tut tut tut...
    Like TV shows, join the Small Screen Gossip group!

Sinner and Saint

Quote Originally Posted by AlecDawesome View Post
    I seem to be the only person who didn't like Dishonored. Got my plat today, and their were few enjoyable parts.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveyHasselhoff View Post

Agreed, was hard for me to get into; really glad I rented it and didn't buy it. I've never played Journey though, I hear great things from everyone so I need to check that out. And I also didn't really care for Assassin's Creed 3, but Alec I know Im the only person on that one. I was bored to death with it other than the naval battles which were awesome.. Also disappointed at the exclusion of TWD and Mass Effect 3, they were at least 4th and 5th right guys?

Sig & Avy by the amazing: apokolypz : PPS Bar by: RaveNScythE18

The Warlord's Path to Platinum

Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by Achilles_XLII View Post
    Also disappointed at the exclusion of TWD and Mass Effect 3, they were at least 4th and 5th right guys?
    I can't remember, plus I deleted the Word document where I did all the math .

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Far Cry 3 and The Walking Dead are my SP games of the year.

Aussie Furry, Bitch

In a multiverses of different bodies and souls

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicant81 View Post
    A painful omission from here is The Walking Dead. That game is sweeping up awards from every major reviewer, site, and publication in sweeping fashion, and for it to miss out on being in the top 3 is a bit of an obvious oversight.

There were a lot of good games this year, but the one that resonates with me, and is a single player experience that allows your input to dictate the course of actions was Telltale's masterpiece is that is going to be caveat experience of this year, that stays with me long after the controller has been put down. No other game, really made me question the empathetic depths that a gamer can attune with a fictional universe and made me sit there and ponder whether or not the actions I made in the game were the ones that had the adverse affect that I wanted.

I could go on and on about this game, and how it seems to be crossing boundaries with gamers from casual iphones to hardcore market, and having a level of accessibility that is unheralded in it's pairing with delivering a top-notch narrative, but it would likely fall on deaf ears as the detractors declare it an "interactive movie" or "too simple." But one thing that is hard to argue is that a single player title hasn't been as polarizing as this one in it's drawing power, and lasting appeal as The Walking Dead was.

It should have made it, and if it wasn't at the least fourth on the list, is, in my opinion, a poor reflection of the site.
    I couldn't agree more. It was my first choice personally, and one of the best games this year.

Aussie Furry, Bitch

In a multiverses of different bodies and souls

Quote Originally Posted by Denaratuck View Post
    This seems to be the worst list of the review team categories in my opinion. No ME3 or The Walking Dead, tut tut tut...
    It doesn't reflect all of our opinions, just the majority. I, for one, would have put TWD at the top for almost everything.

Resident PHD

Wait a minute, there are more people on the review team besides Luck? Well I'll be damned

I agree with Kerwan, Walking Dead should be on there. I am glad Journey made it though, that game truly was a unique experience. The quote by Gauss is perfect in summing up why that game is so amazing.

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

Legendary...Nuff Said

Quote Originally Posted by dr_mayus View Post
    Wait a minute, there are more people on the review team besides Luck? Well I'll be damned

I agree with Kerwan, Walking Dead should be on there. I am glad Journey made it though, that game truly was a unique experience. The quote by Gauss is perfect in summing up why that game is so amazing.
    It's funny because Luck didn't actually contribute his votes to the EotY awards.

But anyway, in response to other people's complaints, I do believe that a game such as The Walking Dead should have been considered more heavily in contention. I personally never played the game and was unable to vote for it. Heard great things, however.

I believe the list compiled represents some of the best the year had to offer, however. Even a game like Dishonored, which perhaps isn't considered to have the strongest story, should be considered as a great singleplayer experience because it was a singleplayer only game (pretty rare nowadays) and managed to do well. That in itself says something about the game. Granted, popularity doesn't necessarily make a game good, but it gives a good sense that what's here is good, and it's all singleplayer.

Basically, there's more to a game's singleplayer experience than solely the story. It's the themes, gameplay integration, level design, flow, etc that also define how good a singleplayer is.

deviantART | Gifts | SOTM XXXVI
    Circumstances may change, but circumcisions are forever.

Lvl 6 - Silver

Journey AGAIN nah just kidding i agree with comments above The walking dead is a masterpiece interms of a SIngleplayer Game it should have defintely been there and Far Cry 3 as well but that's my opinion !!

Toggle Spoiler

For me trophies have become an integral part of gaming, like a stereo in a car. Is it really necessary? No. Is it a lot more fun with it though? Hell yeah!

quoted by Robinworldwide

Lvl 7 - Gold

I cannot believe that MIB: Alien Crisis didn't make it!

PRO Member

Did my votes not count? Where's sleeping dogs DAMNIT

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I guess it depends on how you play, but Journey is a Multiplayer game. Co-op, but definitely multiplayer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast