Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale Review

This is a discussion on Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale Review within the Game Reviews forum, part of the Trophy Guides, Reviews & Articles; Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale Review by dsluckay Basic Information: Developers: SuperBot Entertainment, SCE Santa Monica Studio Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment ...

Change is good

by dsluckay

Basic Information:
    Developers: SuperBot Entertainment, SCE Santa Monica Studio
    Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment America
    North American Release Date: November 20th, 2012
    European Release Date: November 21st, 2012
    Trophies: Yes, 1 | 1 | 8 | 45

Overview
    Playstation All-Stars took many by surprise. The premise was simple, making an all-out fighting game with some of Playstation's biggest and baddest characters. "Super Smash Bros. with a Playstation paint-job" is actually fairly accurate, but is that for better or worse?

Gameplay
    The aim of the game is to hit your opponents for attack points, which accumulate to level up your "supers" which allow you to kill others. I'm not sure I like this approach, because it feels like you aren't damaging the characters when you're pummeling them, which is true. It would be better if the characters had some sort of health bar, or something that makes it feel like what you are doing actually affects the others. It makes the experience rather boring, just attacking to build up your attack points. Still, the supers are unique and generally fun to use.

There are three different levels of supers, level one being the least powerful and if you get hit while you're trying to do it, it's basically countered and the super is stopped. Level two is a more powerful super and for the most part makes it easier to get more than one kill. Level three is unstoppable, you either instantly kill everyone or you get a chance to do it yourself. Each character has different supers.

Sweet Tooth's level three super, definitely bad-ass.

The characters each play differently, with many possible combos that can be pulled off. This is done rather nicely, but it's very easy to find unfair attacks that keep your opponents unable to attack back but still rack up your attack points. For example, Cole's down + circle attack (which makes a sharp block of ice shoot up) knocks the other characters back so they can't attack. As does the Big Daddy's ground-pound attack. It's so easy to be unfair in this game, which is definitely not a good thing.

Singleplayer
    The main singleplayer portion of All-Stars is called "Arcade Mode", where you can pick your favorite characters and see their stories. Truth be told after the first or second character, arcade mode becomes extremely boring.

All arcade mode consists of is four three minute matches, where you need kills that act as points and you need the most amount of points to move on. After those, you have two matches where the first person to get three kills wins. Then a boss battle (the boss is a different character for each character) and a final battle against Polygon man. One playthrough of these takes me about 30 minutes. There are 20 characters. If you're doing the math, that takes approximately 10 hours to actually finish everyone's arcade mode. You will not want to do that.

Multiplayer
    Multiplayer is essentially the same as the rest of the game, just with real people. It's less boring than singleplayer, however. That being said, there isn't much to it. There are few different modes and basically, people use and abuse characters that are unfair (Kratos, for example). Your best bet for enjoying multiplayer is to play with a friend in the 2v2 game modes. There isn't much variety between game modes either, just 2v2 or Free for All, be it against bots or players. You play in the same arenas with the same characters so there isn't much different from playing solo. You can level your characters up but you can also do that in the singleplayer game modes. Leveling up also unlocks various things like mascots (called minions), and a sort of calling card where you can choose an emblem and background for others to see. Again, all of this is present in singleplayer.

Technical
    All-Stars admittedly looks dated, like it's a few years older than it is. It's also easy to exploit characters. I also had a hell of a time trying to connect to online matches, so I'm not sure what's up with that. Nothing else is wrong with the technical aspect other than those complaints, though. Each arena is unique and interesting, each one starting to be from one game and later clash with another. For example, there's an Uncharted arena where you're in the plane from Uncharted 3 that explodes while your in it, whoever played Uncharted 3 surely knows this. Anyway, the arena has you fighting on the trucks and before you know it, you see Columbia in the background, with blimps and Songbirds. This resembles Bioshock: Infinite. Ties like these made the arenas really interesting.

The game's soundtrack also is fairly good I found. The opening video when you boot up the game has a catchy tune in it, as does the menus. The music in the arenas are also quite varied and some (like the Uncharted arena 'Stowaways' and Bioshock's 'Columbia') are quite good. However you may get sick of hearing the same songs in the arenas as you play arcade mode 20 times.

By far one of my favorite arenas in All-Stars, even the music shifts as it transitions from Uncharted to Bioshock.

Trophies
    The list is relatively simple, you've got some online trophies for various things, using level three supers with certain characters on certain arenas, and more. I say "relatively simple" because there's also trophies for completing arcade mode with each character. This will hold many from the platinum I'm sure. While this isn't a hard thing to do, it's so boring and time-consuming doing even one arcade mode.

Closing Thoughts
    Playstation All-Stars tried to compete with Super Smash Bros but ultimately failed. All-Stars doesn't have the polish that Smash Bros has had multiple games to achieve. It's good for a few laughs but becomes extremely boring after not too long. The premise seemed great, but they failed to deliver. All-Stars is fun with friends for a few matches though, until they find an exploit and repeatedly abuse it. I did have fun playing Playstation All-Stars for a while, actually; that just didn't last very long.

Gameplay: 7/10
    There was nothing ground-breaking here, but it is still fun to mash buttons and beat the shit out of Fat Princess. However, I'm not sure if the supers were a good thing to include.

Singleplayer: 4/10
    The character's stories in arcade mode are the only reason anyone would play them (assuming you aren't going for trophies) but the stories aren't very good either. Arcade mode is boring after your first or second character.

Multiplayer: 6/10
    It's singleplayer with real people. I found it more fun only because you can play with a friend, which actually made strategy present in 2v2 matches.

Technical: 5/10
    All-Stars looks like it could be from 2008, I wouldn't have known the difference. On top of that, there are exploits for many characters that hinder the experience.

Overall: 6/10
    Last edited by dsluckay; 01-14-2013 at 03:55 PM.

Kiwi Defender

Nice job, Luck. Sounds like they couldn't really make a great rival for Smash Bros., even with the tweaks they tried to add. Might still be worth renting to have fun for a while.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Angel of Death

I'm glad my friend gave me his Disc Benefits, because this game is bad. Definitely won't play again after the Plat, if I even bother eith the online trophies.

Change is good

Quote Originally Posted by cengizbobengiz View Post
    I'm glad my friend gave me his Disc Benefits, because this game is bad. Definitely won't play again after the Plat, if I even bother eith the online trophies.
    The online trophies can be knocked out within an hour or so. But yeah, I'll be the same.

Platinum Procrastinator

Great review. I think everyone besides the die hard Sony fan boys seen this coming. When you introduce characters like the new Dante and Raiden from their upcoming games in a title called Playstation All Stars its easy to see they were just hoping to attract older fans of both series.

That being said though, hopefully they decide to make another game eventually and are given the time to work out the issues and turn it into a batter franchise so it can compete with Smash Bros.
    Like TV shows, join the Small Screen Gossip group!

Lvl 5 - Silver

This is a great review. This is a good game to play when u have alot of friends over. I just wish there were more characters in this game.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Nice review, but I actually found myself enjoying All-Stars a bit more than Smash. My only major problem with it was it's lack of in depth character intros and endings. It didn't make me want to beat arcade with everyone in order to see them all.

Also I dont have as much of a problem with "cheap moves" like Big Daddys ground pound attack. I think that just comes down to having a tier list. Like I find Raiden for example to have an easy time with it, yet slower characters that run more of a melee offense are a bit harder to play with against him.

But that's just personal opinion

Lvl 7 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by cengizbobengiz View Post
    Yupp, i got the vita version free. Ill get the ps3 version when is cheap to get another platinum though.

Latest : #112 / RAYMAN: Origins [VITA]

NSFW

I'll probably have given it a 7... I like the core of the game itself more enjoyable than Smash Brothers, but it really lacks characters and more importantly modes and maps.

Sig made by Beam. Platbar by Thunder.

Sig made by Beam.
    Platbar made by Thunder.

PRO Member

Wait wait wait, it's not another "8" review score?!

Good review luck, it seems like your time with the game was just tainted by your dislike for the health system but I can see that happening with this type of game

Is there no other singleplayer modes at all?

I'll probably pick this up when it's cheaper just for a laugh with some friends

Lvl 9 - Gold

I agree with this score, and I just want to add that I am not a huge fan of the character lineup they have. Some of them aren't even real "All-Stars" persay.
    > LIKE my Facebook page, where I post Gaming News!! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Evere...22814831104589 <

Add me on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/The1TheBob?ref=tn_tnmn

Follow me - https://twitter.com/The1TheBob

My FAVE FIVE:

WWE: Goldust, Zack Ryder, Bray Wyatt, Cody Rhodes, Big E Langston

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Good review. I personally would give it a 7

Change is good

Quote Originally Posted by Curse View Post
    Wait wait wait, it's not another "8" review score?!

Good review luck, it seems like your time with the game was just tainted by your dislike for the health system but I can see that happening with this type of game

Is there no other singleplayer modes at all?

I'll probably pick this up when it's cheaper just for a laugh with some friends
    Other than arcade mode, there are other things like trials for combos and such, and there's a versus match mode where you just play against bots or people, but there really isn't anything else that's different for singleplayer.

Hunter-Scholar-Gentleman

I see some of your points but at the same time I found myself having more fun with PS All-Stars than Smash Bros and for that I will be playing this for a long time. Yes, there are characters that are obviously better than others and it could definitely use a few patches. But I think there is a lot here to like and with the addition of new maps and some minor fixes to attacks I think it can be a good 8/10.

I'll admit I was extremely frustrated with the Vita version's online matching until I reset my modem to factory settings and then it was solved. Overall, I'd give this a 7/10 but for my money and the amount of fun I've had playing it, it's close to a 9/10 in my books. Very easy platinums as well.

Good, fair review.

The Road So Far And The Road Ahead
    `2nd place Trophy Checklist (2013)
    `Checklist Spotlight #2 Winner (2014)

Currently Playing
    `Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor [100%]
    `LEGO The Lord of the Rings [4%]
    `Tomb Raider (PS4) [0%]

Signature & Avatar
    `courtesy of DaRe_xLw

Lvl 9 - Gold

Solid review, for me personally I enjoyed All-Stars and have had a lot of fun playing it. I agree the arcade mode is fairly boring but even single player vs. matches are fun at higher difficulties. The real enjoyment though is with friends though, that's for sure.
    "I do not agree with a word you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."- Voltaire

The First Wrestling Platinum Grand Slam Winner on PS3Trophies.com

Trophy Checklist: http://www.ps3trophies.com/forums/tr...-doghouse.html

PRO Member

I think its unfair to compare this game to Smash Brothers, did they get the idea from the game likely but is every FPS just a one off from the original ? The game is very fun, has a crap load of moves and ways to play, the game is an easy 8 to me, but that's why opinions are like are asses we all have one and prefer to wipe our own.

*insert Latin phrase*

I think this game is an 8, but not a bad review. I think you could have touched on the single-player more, like the actual stories and rivalries, and brought up the trials. Plus, every fighting game has easy exploits, I don't see why you should single out All-Stars for that. A bit of bias from the dislike of the health system, but I can see where you come from.

Outdated Plat-bar by ThunderStick, sig by DaRe, avatar by ROBO3AG13
    Click the sig and be whisked away to my checklist (now with updates!)! Or click here to visit my YouTube channel! Vote on my Playstation Grandmasterpiece HERE!

All out of bubblegum.....

Hrm, I may have gone a 7, 7.5... but you have very solid view points, and I trust your judgement. This one I'll be keeping, only because I can play it with my nephews and daughter, and not worry about getting my ass kicked too hard like in SF or MK. lol.
    Scogg34's House of Splatter
    Avy/Sig by the Awesome Stupot

Lvl 6 - Silver

Awsome review bro just when I knew it was "whatever" you confirm it for me. Proly get it to play with my little girl. Thanks luck.
    Sync Unison: Element of Spirits

Lvl 6 - Silver

Smash Brothers stinks... I'm shocked this is similar in crapiness

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast