Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DmC: Devil May Cry Review

This is a discussion on DmC: Devil May Cry Review within the Game Reviews forum, part of the Trophy Guides, Reviews & Articles; DmC: Devil May Cry by Nero Radec Banner by JackAttack Basic Information Developer: Ninja Theory Publisher: Capcom North American Release ...

Harvester of Souls

DmC: Devil May Cry Review

DmC: Devil May Cry
    by Nero Radec

Banner by JackAttack

Basic Information

Developer: Ninja Theory
    Publisher: Capcom
    North American Release Date: January 15
    European Release Date: January 15
    Trophies: Yes; 1 / 3 / 7 / 38
    Trophy Guide: DmC: Devil May Cry Trophy Guide - PS3 Trophies Forum by Broken

Overview
    DmC: Devil May Cry is the latest hack and slash title in the series from Capcom and is a reboot of the series, developed this time by Ninja Theory. You still play as the demon slayer, Dante, re-pictured as a youth with short black hair instead of his normal self. This is the biggest change in the game, and you still are the brother of Virgil and the son of Sparda. In this universe, Dante lives in Limbo City, hunting demons and being tracked and hunted by the demon lord, Mundus.

Gameplay
    DmC may be a reboot, but it plays very similarly to past Devil May Cry games and doesn't deviate much from this element. You will still use your signature sword, Rebellion, and pair of pistols, Ebony and Ivory, as you fight and chain your attacks together using a combination of , and attacks. The Stylish Combos are also still very much present in the game and, though they haven't been modified much, feel very fluid and still really fun. As in previous games, you will still be able to acquire many new weapons and upgrade Dante with new abilities and more power as you play through the story.

Some of the new weapons brought into DmC are a scythe and an axe that will be your main secondary weapons, each being known as angel or demon weapons. These classifications will also be used through the game to defeat specific enemies and survive through environments. Also, each secondary weapon is automatically equipped at all times and is used by holding either for angel attacks or for your demon weapons. You also will acquire a pair of demon gauntlets, more guns, and another angel weapon that acts like giant bladed discs that can be thrown or attacked with. Some side missions and hidden passages are opened with only being smashed from a specific weapon as well adding some additional usage to these new toys.

The Angel Scythe, Osiris. Ripping and grinding enemies into Limbo!

Upgrading Dante still works as it did before as well. As you killed demons and enemies, you will acquire souls and upgrade points based on your stylish combos and mission ratings. You can either go to the shop in between selecting missions through the story or as you play, you will come across a green light lit angel statue that you're capable of restocking on items or upgrading your abilities. Souls will be used to acquire more items such as health stars or devil trigger (which you unlock partway through the story) and used to upgrade your health bar by acquire other stones. The skill points you acquire will be used solely to purchase new abilities through the game. Most of the original moves are present again, but they generally won't have a good place to be used and feel almost wasted for me some of the time. There are a couple on each weapon that will be useful and the rest you will find yourself just throwing points into because you have them.

The combat and gameplay are what make DmC really fun. Everything is responsive in your attacks and it just feels really awesome and natural. It's a bit hard to put into words why this hack and slash game felt so fun, but it didn't feel boring through my first playthrough and a half as I knocked around enemies like there was no tomorrow.

One problem I did find when playing was the constant need to use your abilities to grab objects and swing across jumps. It seemed constantly they were pushing these new abilities as they did with Nero in Devil May Cry 4 with his arm. It serves its purpose, but felt too pushed on the player and took me out of the experience more often than not. Plus, often these moves are used as QTE, quick time events, where you have to quickly grab something during a cutscene or you fall and have to restart. Many of the secret areas are located through these abilities and you will have to really explore to experience it all.

Also, most of the enemies you will face are rather generic blobs of mass, but there are some that have some variety in their designs. Just something to point out, but you won't really notice as you cut them all down. Boss fights are all pretty much the same as well. You will face a very large demon and have to use your abilities to grab at weak points and then target those until it falls and then attack away to deplete their health bar. The game lacks here in design for the enemies and battles, but it's still fun to play.

The Hunter Demon, one of several giant bosses you will face throughout the story. He smells as bad as he looks.

Singleplayer
    In this reboot of Devil May Cry, you still play as Dante, who has been re-imagined as a younger more angst version of himself, minus the white hair, and a tad bit more cocky. You live in Limbo City hunting demons and being tracked down by the demon king, Mundus who wants you dead for being a nephilim and son of Sparda. A nephilim is simply the offspring of an angel and a demon, meaning in this story, Sparda hooked up with a angel somewhere named Eve.
    You will play through and control Dante killing demons in search for revenge from Mundus after learning that he killed your father and will meet several other characters to help you along the way. Your main ally is an NPC named Kat that can phase into Limbo from the human world and assists Dante in his journey. Also, you will meet Virgil, who is still Dante's brother and is also nephilim, though this is unknown to the other demons that only want to kill you.

Through the story, Virgil and Kat lead a group known as the order and recruit you to help join them and stop Mundus. They make you remember everything from your past and ultimately Dante joins up with them. You will travel through the city and fight through hordes of demons in Limbo, ultimately gaining more and more power in the quest to stop Mundus and the hell-gate that he draws power from. He's embodied in a human form while in the human world and basically rules over mankind.

Kat, a Member of the Order, with Virgil. Also shows off the game's lack of needed polish.

DmC has a decent storyline, and follows some of the old Devil May Cry lore and traits such as Sparda, Virgil, and Mundus, but I found I didn't really care much for what was going on and simply liked playing the game. It's not a story that will really make you feel the plight of the world or care as you play. A lot of the enemies and boss fights you will experience are not that memorable either and really takes away from the game. Even Mundus felt a bit boring for what he was. It's not a bad story, but it could of been better, especially with everything Capcom and Ninja Theory had to work with being a reboot and the infinite lines they had to cross.

Multiplayer
    There is no multiplayer gameplay for DmC, however, there are online leaderboards to upload your mission ratings and compare with other players.

Technical
    DmC is very average here in the technical compartment for several reasons. My main issue was that the cinematics and overall graphics of the game were very outdated and unpolished.Though the game still looks nice in some areas, it's very bland looking and rough. The environments do feature some differences and look really good, but if you look closely, they are as unpolished as the characters and enemies. The cinematics use the same in-game graphics and it doesn't look that great to watch at times.

Another problem I had was constant issues with the graphics shading. Even in those same cinematics, you will notice that the world slowly gains its color and texture and will occasionally flash from a bland look to normal, and then back again. This will occur with the enemies and characters sometimes as they speak as well. These are minor issues and it doesn't break the game, but it can take you out of the element of playing it. Overall I didn't experience any major glitches except for once getting stuck off screen and having to reload a checkpoint to get back in control.

Everything else through the game seemed fine and worked for the most part. Control wise, everything feels really smooth and responsive and your attacks and combos hit as they should. I didn't really experience any issues here as I played or have any problems from the enemies' own attacks. Sound wise, DmC has a great soundtrack that really fits the theme and elements of the game, being similar to the music typically featured in Devil May Cry series. The sound quality in game is also very good, though there was one time in a cutscene that the sound dropped and I couldn't hear anyone's voices or the music anymore.

Trophies
    As you may expect for the trophies, this platinum will be no walk in the park. You will have to complete over 5 playthroughs, each on a difficulty higher than the previous including Heaven and Hell difficulties from previous Devil May Cry games. Also, you will have the run of the mill story trophies you can't miss, acquire specific ranks on all missions, and the collective kill count trophies. You will be required to acquire all collectibles through the game in the form of hidden keys and complete all side missions the game has to offer. DmC will prove to be a very time consuming platinum experience fraught with difficulty but very rewarding for the players that strive for it.

Closing Thoughts
    DmC is a very fun new title in the Devil May Cry series developed now by Ninja Theory. They did a very good job with it, even if there was no need to re-image the game and characters such as Dante's new look, but this is appealing to some, while many old fans are not pleased. The game still plays as the originals do and that is what counts here. The new story arc is alright and enjoyable, but does contain some albeit forgettable moments and will drop you out of the action at times. Graphically, it's an outdated work and more time should of been invested to make it a much more top notch looking game. It has a very good soundtrack and sound quality that fits with theme and elements in the game. DmC is definitely worth checking out for fans and is an overall enjoyable experience with a great deal of replay value added into the bundle.

Gameplay: 9/10
    DmC really shines here and plays just like the old Devil May Cry games. Stylish combos and demon slaying come natural through the game. Plus the weapons you acquire are fun to use in addition to your standard sword and gun arsenal.

Singleplayer: 8/10
    A decent Devil May Cry storyline, set in a different universe from the normal story arc. You can have fun and enjoy the story, but it's nothing special that will hold everyone's interests. You will have a different experience on the other difficulty settings as new enemies will spawn and have different combos and moves. You will have a great deal of replay value in the game.

Technical: 7/10
    Outdated graphics and polish hold the game back from really being what should be a game this generation. No major glitches or faults, good sound quality and soundtrack, and good control scheme unchanged from previous games.

Overall: 8/10
    Last edited by Nagflar; 01-22-2013 at 12:30 AM.

HOSTED BY GREAT DAZE TAZER!!!!! COME JOIN THE MAYHEM!!!

Guide Bar Created by Ds_luckay

Kiwi Defender

Nice review, Nero. Glad to know that the game remains the same at it's core, which is the gameplay, regardless of the new looks and story-tweaks. Might be worth checking out one of these days.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Harvester of Souls

That's pretty much it Nag and while there fans are going to split, I truly loved the old Devil may Cry games, but still felt somewhat oddly satisfied with how the game was. Despite the numerous things story wise that could of been a lot better, it was still really fun and kept me entertained and that's where my judging the score went.

Definitely worth checking and trying. Play the demo if you're undecided, as a review is just an opinion and this is how I felt from my experience through the story.

September MotM 2013

Nice review Nero. I might pick this up though when it goes down in price

Sig & Avy by Dare /#KILLER_ 4 Gotham (TV Show)

Rise and Shine.

Great review, Nero! Might pick this up soon probably when theres a price drop though.

Banned

Great review Nero! DmC is a game I've been a bit interested in, really liked playing Devil May Cry 3 so I should like this alright. Trophies look tough as I said on the trophy list, but it might be fun trying to get the platinum.

Change is mediocre

Nice review Nero, basically summed up what I've heard about this game so far. The gameplay seems to be the same, if not better than previous Devil May Crys, but they changed the characters and their personalities too much for hardcore fans to really enjoy the game.

Harvester of Souls

Quote Originally Posted by Luckay View Post
    Nice review Nero, basically summed up what I've heard about this game so far. The gameplay seems to be the same, if not better than previous Devil May Crys, but they changed the characters and their personalities too much for hardcore fans to really enjoy the game.
    Yes and no Luckay. They did in fact change that up a lot, but some fans will enjoy it, like myself. Some may even grow attached to the new characters' personalities and changes, even liking Dante more now. I like the gameplay this time around more sorta, but I don't agree with all the changes. I still found myself enjoying the game. it's like Resident Evil 6, just not as bad a fuck up change as it didn't affect the gameplay, just tried a new direction with the series as they were burying themselves anyhow.

But yeah, a great many of the hardcore fans are not pleased and can't stand what they have done with the characters and lack of specific other important figures.

That Southern B****

I accept this as a good review. Still not touching it.
    Hitmon133: "Today's passage is taken from the Book of Coug. Chapter 56, Verse 46. >.>"

Epic Banner by Fawst <3

Toggle Spoiler

Angel of Death

Good review. Can't wait until my copy comes in. Really looking forward to getting the Plat.

Harvester of Souls

Quote Originally Posted by cengizbobengiz View Post
    Good review. Can't wait until my copy comes in. Really looking forward to getting the Plat.
    Good luck with that. The plat seems to be a long bitch lol. But does seem manageable.

Lvl 6 - Silver

Nice review, hurry up pay day i want this game!!!

No Game No Life

Good review man. I am having fun with this game myself. Story is. meh. But the gameplay makes up for it. One thing that I didn't like here is the new design of Vergil and his personality. He is much more of badass in DMC3. I look forward though to playing his DLC this February. I also didn't like the camera for the final mission because it's quite hard to keep up with the final boss with him jumping around with an annoying something near the end.

Currently Playing:
    I dunno what to play anymore.. Too many JRPG

Checklist || GFX Showcase

*insert Latin phrase*

Nice review, Nero. I'm hoping to get this game eventually. The demo has some pretty slick gameplay. glad to know the full edition is just as cool.

Outdated Plat-bar by ThunderStick, sig by DaRe, avatar by ROBO3AG13
    Click the sig and be whisked away to my checklist (now with updates!)! Or click here to visit my YouTube channel! Vote on my Playstation Grandmasterpiece HERE!

Harvester of Souls

I kinda want to drop the story score one point lower but its set now so oh well lol but yeah its different. Game is super fun tho. Thanks everyone lol

All out of bubblegum.....

Nice review, but still not going to touch it for a while.
    Scogg34's House of Splatter
    Avy/Sig by the Awesome Stupot

Platinum Procrastinator

Quote Originally Posted by NeroRadec707 View Post
    I kinda want to drop the story score one point lower but its set now so oh well lol but yeah its different. Game is super fun tho. Thanks everyone lol
    Go back and change it then. I was expecting a lower review and doubt I'll be buying this game. From all of the videos I've seem online, it looks very repetitive and boring to me.
    Like TV shows, join the Small Screen Gossip group!

Harvester of Souls

Quote Originally Posted by Denaratuck View Post
    Go back and change it then. I was expecting a lower review and doubt I'll be buying this game. From all of the videos I've seem online, it looks very repetitive and boring to me.
    It will be just like any other hack and slash action game, there are times when if you play it long enough everything would normally get boring to some people, while others love it. The combos and chains kinda make up for it and it never seemed boring to me as I played through it. I judged it fair enough really. the overall scored would still technically be rounded up to the same so it's a moot point. Nagflar doesn't like us changing scored, but the story did seem a bit weak and needed a tad drop. maybe even if just a .5 of a score haha.

It stayed fun the entire time playing for me and I'd still be finishing up all the secrets and stuff if not for having to finish a trophy guide and 2 other reviews as well lol. Work load is slowing me up hahaha.

Thanks for reading the review though guys .

PRO Member

I like the demo picking this when it drop price ^^

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

Quote Originally Posted by Denaratuck View Post

Come on, videos of someone else playing a game is hardly the same as actually playing a game is it?

Not bad so far, I see this and the original like the difference between Infernal Affairs and The Departed, same source material given two versions with a flavour of the country it was made in. The usual modern day problem of a game deciding it will freeze at whim aside, the combat is fluid, the visual style is well presented and i don't hate Nu-Dante yet.

Certainly needs more time to playthrough but it's hardly the abomination some people want it to be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast