Warhammer 40k: Kill Team Review

This is a discussion on Warhammer 40k: Kill Team Review within the Game Reviews forum, part of the Trophy Guides, Reviews & Articles; Warhammer 40k: Kill Team Review by Gauss Basic Information: Developer: THQ Publisher: THQ North American Release Date: August 2, 2011 ...

PRO Member

by Gauss

Basic Information:
    Developer: THQ
    Publisher: THQ
    North American Release Date: August 2, 2011
    European Release Date: August 3, 2011
    Trophies: Yes, 1 | 4 | 7

Warhammer 40k: Kill Team is a companion game of sorts to Warhammer 40k: Space Marine. The game is a twin-stick arcade shooter that occurs in the same universe as Space Marine and is about a team of Marines trying to prevent an Orc Krooza from reaching a Forge World.

Kill Team is a twin-stick shooter. The controls are simple and straight forward. One analog stick moves your character on a 2D plane, and the other shoots. The flow of the game is all about mayhem and reaction time, and it is brutally fun... For awhile at least.

There is some variety introduced through character classes, there are a total of 4, each with different abilities and weapons. Throughout the game various upgrades are attained to increase your capabilities and stats. I do have an issue that these upgrades seem to come at random; I was unable to find any place that specified the goals for each upgrade.

The Space Marines are designed well, even if they don't look great

Ultimately though the gameplay isnít as elegant as some other twin-stick shooters, such as Super Stardust HD. It lacks finesse and strategy. Every level, every challenge can be overcome through brute force. Some of this may be intentional due to the nature of the space marines, but it also becomes repetitive quickly. The sense of tension isnít there as often as it should be.

Now that doesnít mean the tension doesnít exist. Using a great twin-stick shooter as an example, like Super Stardust HD, the difficulty curve is always going up and the enemies are constantly forcing you to change weapons and tactics. The asteroid sections are a breather between the constant onslaught of enemies, and occasionally can actually make the onslaught worse by providing barriers. Getting through each level feels like an accomplishment.

Kill Team is almost the polar opposite. Enemies feel like filler between the intense boss sections, everything is cannon-fodder just to rack up points, and even then only a few sections carry the type of pacing you expect from a shooter. The end result is a game that is fun, but repetitive, with a poorly shaped difficulty curve.

Kill Team is split into levels, each with a specific objective designed to somehow cripple the Krooza. Much in the same way the gameplay falls, this works and is fun, but repetitive. Orcs have a fixed number of enemies that spawn in waves and are dealt with while juggling various objectives. The objectives all fit well, but ultimately the point of the game is to slay as many orcs as humanely possible in each level.

In this regard the game succeeds; its set up as a classic arcade shooter and the objectives are enough to give you a sense of purpose to the mindless slaughter experienced throughout the game. It works, its a very fun 4-6 hours, and the unlockable challenges give plenty of reason to play the game after its been beaten.

Classic Gauntlet style arcade gameplay

The multiplayer for Kill Team is a mixed bag. Its simple Local co-op, and it is very fun. Killing time by murdering hordes of orcs with a partner is a great way to start a friendship, woo a potential lover, or strengthen an existing friendship. Problem is the way they handle the screen is a way to lose friends and make any sparks between you and a significant other die.

Like many games of its ilk the screen follows one of you not both of you. While games like LittleBigPlanet handle it with some grace and class, Kill Team doesnít really handle it at all. Frequently you will be inadvertently killed or will inadvertently kill your partner by forcing them off screen into a group of on-coming orcs as they wildly flail the joysticks in an attempt to figure out how to get back on screen. Its just annoying in a game with this pacing.

Ultimately Kill Teamís multiplayer is fun, but nothing special.

Kill Team carries all the big, burly Space Marine visuals you would expect and the Orc Krooza has the unique signature that makes it feel right at home in the Warhammer 40k universe. The graphics are what I would call simple, but effective. Everything looks like it should, even if the visuals are simple and a bit dated. The menus are simple but more than a bit clunky.

The sound effects have some issues, explosions and crashes are great, but weapon fire sounds impotent.

Kill Team is a very quick 100%, some of the survival challenges are a bit challenging and the game can be difficult with certain classes. The trophies are all easily attainable on a Saturday afternoon though.

Closing Thoughts

Kill Team is a great arcade game on the PSN, its a fun way to kill time and is worth it just to remember what old-school arcade games were like, both in a good and bad sense. Considering the price, its difficult to go wrong with this game. If you are a Warhammer 40k this game is designed for you, but if you arenít this game wonít bring you into the universe.

Gameplay: 7/10
    - Solid arcade gameplay, but ultimately not up to par.

Singleplayer: 6.5/10
    - Donít expect much here, its a fun shooter, nothing more.

Multiplayer: 6/10
    - Multiplayer is a bit off. Its fun, but the screen handling is annoying.

Technical: 7/10
    - Classic Warhammer 40k, but the sounds need some weight to them.

Overall: 6.5/10 Tolerable
    Last edited by Gauss; 10-18-2011 at 06:39 AM.

The Bushiest Pig

Philadelphia suburbs

Dam, for a $10 PSN game I found this to be pretty good. I personally would have gave it a 7.5/10.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Normally at work

I'm playing it very much segment at a time, just to get the most out of it. I know it is only a PSN game, but I've played pretty much every GW game going over the years, bar Space Marine and when I replace my YLOD'd PS3 (RIP) that'll be coming.

Can't disagree that there isn't much to it, but for me it was nice to see something for the PS3 as a warm-up act for SM.

With regard to the upgrades, it gave the impression of whenever you earned a metric shit ton of points at any given time, they started to get applied to whichever upgrade you were due next, there did seem to be a pattern to it, but can't check right now.

Seems to me to be a perfect little mini-series where they could introduce all of the Warhammer 40k races in little mini-games prior to a much larger DoW style game later on.
    I was thinking about boasting about my :plat:'s and 100%'s, but then I thought why bother, not like they're anything amazing.

YLOD: 9/10/11. RIP

Lvl 9 - Gold

I basically agree with this. The whole game was pretty much filler for Space Marine. However, I will say that I've never played a Warhammer game before this one, and it definitely did bring me into the universe. If I hadn't played this, I wouldn't have bought and loved Space Marine. All in all, it's fun, and it's about what you'd expect for $10.