Rochard Review

This is a discussion on Rochard Review within the Game Reviews forum, part of the Trophy Guides, Reviews & Articles; Rochard Review by Gauss Basic Information: Developer: Recoil Games Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment North American Release Date: September 27, 2011 ...

PRO Member

Rochard Review

Rochard Review
    by Gauss

Basic Information:
    Developer: Recoil Games
    Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment
    North American Release Date: September 27, 2011
    European Release Date: September 28, 2011
    Trophies: Yes, 1 | 2 | 11

Overview

Rochard is a puzzle-platformer in the vein of old-school Castlevania or Shadow Complex. It follows the chronicles of the light-hearted miner Rochard as he makes a discovery that will take him through a story of betrayal and redemption.

Gameplay

Rochard defines gameplay. Rochard is a throwback to old school puzzle-platformers and is very reminiscent of old-school Castlevania and the more recent Shadow Complex. It centers around puzzles that are handled through physics manipulation, but in a strange twist its not your typical “build a see-saw” puzzles. Rochard can manipulate gravity as well and the game introduces various obstacles through both combat and unique barrier types that only block certain object-types.
    Everything is controlled through Rochard’s unique weapon which can switch modes and carry various types of explosives, all used to solve various puzzles.

Environments are very colorful and unique

Combat can be a bit frustrating though, but its nice to play a game where the main character is not a tank. A part of dealing with the puzzles is figuring out how to navigate Rochard through combat. The upgrades attained throughout the game are balanced by the progression of the enemies.

The end result is a very rewarding experience. Its a very well balanced game that has the right hints of challenge and fun. The game is flat out great to play.

Its worth noting that the controls are a bit cumbersome, but not so much so that it detracts from the overall experience.

Singleplayer

Rochard’s singleplayer is a simple story. Its about a group of miners who stumble onto a big discovery: an Alien ruin, only to be betrayed by the ‘boss.’ The game is about getting the pieces of the discovery’s puzzle solved and out of his hands, while hopefully netting the money to make your time worth it.

Effectively the game is divided into a series of levels which are each comprised of a series of puzzle rooms. During points in each level some story element is revealed, and then at the end of the level there is a cutscene that will lead you to the next level. All in all there is little if any character development, but the story doesn’t fall flat because the characters are still interesting due to the intentional humor with which the story is presented.

Combat is difficult, sometimes cheap, but always rewarding

The whole game is a big tongue-in-cheek joke, but in a good way. It never takes itself too seriously. Thats ultimately the strength of this game as well, it delivers a singleplayer that really allows the gameplay to shine.

Technical

Overall Rochard is a very well done game from a technical standpoint, the graphics all carry a great sense of style. Rochard in particular is very compelling as a somewhat husky miner carrying a goofy gun and fighting robots, police, and pirates. It embraces its identity in the best way possible, and carries its visuals well. The textures are well done and colorful. There is no frame-drops or lag, although I am not a huge fan of the filter.

The voice-acting is stellar because the voice-actors clearly understand the mood of the story, and the sound-effects and music all works well.

Trophies

Rochard is a difficult 100%. Nailing the entire game in 3 hours requires an intense amount of concentration and effectively a completely mistake-free playthrough. On the surface this looks like a simple afternoon 100%, but nailing that gold will take multiple practice runs.

Closing Thoughts

Rochard is a great example of what the PSN has to offer. Its very fun, challenging, and ultimate the story carries the game well. Rochard is that wonderful kind of frustrating that will have you playing just to prove to the game it can’t beat you. Its the type of fun gamers strive for, and it comes highly recommended from me. Its cheap, and you should go buy it.

Gameplay: 9/10
    - Old-school puzzle-platformer at its best. Rochard brings back an art that is too infrequently shown.

Singleplayer: 8/10
    - A simple, but effective campaign. Characters aren’t deep, but are interesting because the story carries humor well.

Technical: 8.5/10
    - A great example of what can be done, the graphics are phenomenal, but its very well done.

Overall: 8.5/10 Great
    Last edited by Gauss; 10-07-2011 at 08:30 AM.

Lvl 6 - Silver

Great Review & the 3 hour Trophy seems like a real challenge frankly i've been playing for 6 hours & a half & i still haven't finished it yet maybe because i die a lot but right now i'm stuck at this place where the ladders are electric & somehow i have to hit the button above me using a fan oh well may be later my mind would be clearer & can think better !!

Toggle Spoiler

For me trophies have become an integral part of gaming, like a stereo in a car. Is it really necessary? No. Is it a lot more fun with it though? Hell yeah!

quoted by Robinworldwide

Lvl 9 - Gold

Brilliant overview, the game does look like jolly good fun!

Love the title font, too!

Aperture Test Subject

Nice review! It's a really fun game. A real throwback to simple puzzle/platformers of old. At $9.99/$7.99 (PS+), it's an absolute steal!

Plus the music is really good!

1000th Trophy | | Resistance 3 | Counter-Sniper | 10-Sep-2011

Platinum Procrastinator

Excellent review Gauss. I bought it and look forward to starting it eventually. Hopefully I'll be able to 100% it but the 3 hour trophy might be a problem.
    Like TV shows, join the Small Screen Gossip group!

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by britinamerica View Post
    Nice review! It's a really fun game. A real throwback to simple puzzle/platformers of old. At $9.99/$7.99 (PS+), it's an absolute steal!

Plus the music is really good!

.....speaking of which, do you know if you can play your own music in it? I can add it to my list, then.

Aperture Test Subject

Quote Originally Posted by HYSTΣR!A⋆➒➑ View Post
    .....speaking of which, do you know if you can play your own music in it? I can add it to my list, then.
    No custom soundtrack on this one.

1000th Trophy | | Resistance 3 | Counter-Sniper | 10-Sep-2011

Player Hater

Good to see a review of a game that might have passed many people by. Rochard is quite decent and well worth picking up.