Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bioshock Infinite Review

This is a discussion on Bioshock Infinite Review within the Game Reviews forum, part of the Trophy Guides, Reviews & Articles; Excellent review. I want this game so badly......

*insert Latin phrase*

Excellent review. I want this game so badly...

Outdated Plat-bar by ThunderStick, sig by DaRe, avatar by ROBO3AG13
    Click the sig and be whisked away to my checklist (now with updates!)! Or click here to visit my YouTube channel! Vote on my Playstation Grandmasterpiece HERE!

September MotM 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalman123 View Post
    Excellent review. I want this game so badly...
    Too bad you'll have to defeat me for it

On topic now. This is a well done review. BioShock Infinite is amazing . I have been taking my time playing it to enjoy the game

Sig & Avy by Dare /#KILLER_ 4 Gotham (TV Show)

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Eschylus View Post
    I don't normally put down games but i have to with the Bioshock series, it's FAR too over rated IMO. i may get this game eventually... but i REALLY have no need or want to get it now...its a $20-$40 game to me. Bioshock was boring, no interesting story or no story that i found and felt clunky, i missed on bioshock 2 cuz well, the 1st didn't impress me enough now with infinite... i give them props to doing something different and having a new style to the game not only that but it seems like infinite wants to be AS DIFFERENT as the first 2 games, like they're ashamed of them or something... that's the impression i get. overall it really seems like you need to like the other games in order to love this one.
    Enough said. good looks Kerwan.
    Sync Unison: Element of Spirits

Hunter-Scholar-Gentleman

Great review. I'm sorry but Bioshock Infinite is better than Bioschock 1 or 2 in almost every way. Some decisions are a matter of perspective, some enjoy claustrophobic environments, but I felt Columbia to be a much more enjoyable city than Rapture.

The only thing that didn't make sense to me was the vigors. In Rapture, you had a culture of constant improvement, and it made sense why someone would want to improve on the initial biological setup of a human being. In Columbia, the culture is one of control and purity which makes vigors odd that they are advertised almost everywhere. And why am I the only one that uses vigors? None of my enemies ever used them, granted the heavy hitters have vigor-like abilities, but that part didn't make much sense to me.

An outstanding gaming experience, arguably one of the best games at striking a balance between story, gameplay and overall uniqueness.

The Road So Far And The Road Ahead
    `2nd place Trophy Checklist (2013)
    `Checklist Spotlight #2 Winner (2014)

Currently Playing
    `Assassin's Creed: Unity [41%]

Signature & Avatar
    `courtesy of DaRe_xLw

Change is mediocre

Quote Originally Posted by TerminalPhoenix View Post
    Great review. I'm sorry but Bioshock Infinite is better than Bioschock 1 or 2 in almost every way. Some decisions are a matter of perspective, some enjoy claustrophobic environments, but I felt Columbia to be a much more enjoyable city than Rapture.

The only thing that didn't make sense to me was the vigors. In Rapture, you had a culture of constant improvement, and it made sense why someone would want to improve on the initial biological setup of a human being. In Columbia, the culture is one of control and purity which makes vigors odd that they are advertised almost everywhere. And why am I the only one that uses vigors? None of my enemies ever used them, granted the heavy hitters have vigor-like abilities, but that part didn't make much sense to me.

An outstanding gaming experience, arguably one of the best games at striking a balance between story, gameplay and overall uniqueness.
    I believe Vigors act as Elixirs sold by travelling salesmen. The way the booths for vigors are set up and how they're advertised in the carnival area made me think of that (when the guy on the stage was saying "Step right up..."). That's just my rationale for that, though.

Rangers F.C

Great review , I have heard all I need to for me to know I will love this game , its on my Lovefilm list and I should get it soon
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

Hunter-Scholar-Gentleman

Quote Originally Posted by Luckay View Post
    I believe Vigors act as Elixirs sold by travelling salesmen. The way the booths for vigors are set up and how they're advertised in the carnival area made me think of that (when the guy on the stage was saying "Step right up..."). That's just my rationale for that, though.
    True, that could be it. Awesome game...I can't wait to get the platinum. Just need to do 1999 mode now. I'm dreading the siren parts though...

Currently Playing

Signature & Avatar
    `courtesy of DaRe_xLw

Silence is a valid option

Awesome review. I just started the game a few days ago and really enjoy it so far. I can't wait to try 1999 mode
    Sig by Pancake Model

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I haven't got this game yet ans I wasn't even sure I would buy it, but after reading this review (a great one by the way) and the reactions I've got no reason not to buy this game. So Bioshock Infinite, here I come!

Live Life!

Lvl 7 - Gold

just beat it mind blown freaking amazing game and his review is very well written sums up what i though abt the game. 10/10 must own

KCCO!

So, I read the review because this game does interest me, and here are a few points I'd like to make.

Editorial Note: I don't think there's such a word as dystopic. I think what you wanted to say was dystopian. There are other editorial/grammatical errors, but that's the one that really got under my skin.

As far as the review, the gist of what I got from your review was:
    • Gameplay mechanics are better than Bioshock 1 and 2 in terms of the shooting
    • There seems to be a decent selection of guns and vigors (plasmids) at your disposal
    • You seem to like the "Patriot" enemy, but don't really say anything about any other types of enemies, bosses, etc.
    • You have more health/ammo/weapon upgrade options than you did in previous installments
    • The game presents the additional dynamic of equippable gear which enhances player attributes
    • Story is phenomenal and it seems like it's what makes up 80% of what's good about the game
    • Graphics are good, but nothing groundbreaking
    • Soundtrack seems to have more of an effect than the graphics on the enjoyability of the game
    I think your Gameplay section provides a decent amount of information. Perhaps it's me, but I found your Singleplayer section to be mostly full of rhetoric and superfluous verbiage.

I know reviews are meant to be spoiler-free, but it seems like the Single Player section of your review was so cryptic, I knew almost nothing more about the game than I did prior to reading it other than side missions aren't apparent and the way to get to your next objective isn't either. Is the story fast-paced? Are there lulls? How's the character development? Do you get attached to the character and this Elizabeth throughout the game? Are these 'decisions' that you have to make in the game crucial and pivotal, or are they just a nice enhancement to the game that really don't make or break the story?

The Technical section of your review seems ok. It gives me an idea of what to expect. I can certainly appreciate a good soundtrack to a game. The fact that it doesn't make a habit of recycling environments is also refreshing.

I also saw your comment to Nagflar about the score dropping half-way through the game, but you decided to inflate it based on the ending. That's akin to those folks that would've given ME3 a higher score if it weren't for the 5-minute ending, which I found to be utterly ridiculous and petty.

To me, you gave a near-perfect game a perfect score. Based on your review, I would probably rescore this as:

Gameplay: 9/10 - Doesn't seem to be anything revolutionary about the gameplay; Uses many of the same concepts as most other games, although it flows better.

Singleplayer: 9/10 - Based on your comment to Nagflar, I get the feeling the initial admiration of the game started wearing off until you reached the climactic ending.

Technical: 8.5/10 - Seems like the soundtrack is what really makes the game inspirational; graphics are above-average, but suffer in certain spots.

Thanks for taking the time to review the game. I'm still on the fence about it, but it's good to have some additional information.

Lvl 7 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Hitmanchan View Post
    So, I read the review because this game does interest me, and here are a few points I'd like to make.

Editorial Note: I don't think there's such a word as dystopic. I think what you wanted to say was dystopian. There are other editorial/grammatical errors, but that's the one that really got under my skin.

As far as the review, the gist of what I got from your review was:
    • Gameplay mechanics are better than Bioshock 1 and 2 in terms of the shooting
    • There seems to be a decent selection of guns and vigors (plasmids) at your disposal
    • You seem to like the "Patriot" enemy, but don't really say anything about any other types of enemies, bosses, etc.
    • You have more health/ammo/weapon upgrade options than you did in previous installments
    • The game presents the additional dynamic of equippable gear which enhances player attributes
    • Story is phenomenal and it seems like it's what makes up 80% of what's good about the game
    • Graphics are good, but nothing groundbreaking
    • Soundtrack seems to have more of an effect than the graphics on the enjoyability of the game
    I think your Gameplay section provides a decent amount of information. Perhaps it's me, but I found your Singleplayer section to be mostly full of rhetoric and superfluous verbiage.

I know reviews are meant to be spoiler-free, but it seems like the Single Player section of your review was so cryptic, I knew almost nothing more about the game than I did prior to reading it other than side missions aren't apparent and the way to get to your next objective isn't either. Is the story fast-paced? Are there lulls? How's the character development? Do you get attached to the character and this Elizabeth throughout the game? Are these 'decisions' that you have to make in the game crucial and pivotal, or are they just a nice enhancement to the game that really don't make or break the story?

The Technical section of your review seems ok. It gives me an idea of what to expect. I can certainly appreciate a good soundtrack to a game. The fact that it doesn't make a habit of recycling environments is also refreshing.

I also saw your comment to Nagflar about the score dropping half-way through the game, but you decided to inflate it based on the ending. That's akin to those folks that would've given ME3 a higher score if it weren't for the 5-minute ending, which I found to be utterly ridiculous and petty.

To me, you gave a near-perfect game a perfect score. Based on your review, I would probably rescore this as:

Gameplay: 9/10 - Doesn't seem to be anything revolutionary about the gameplay; Uses many of the same concepts as most other games, although it flows better.

Singleplayer: 9/10 - Based on your comment to Nagflar, I get the feeling the initial admiration of the game started wearing off until you reached the climactic ending.

Technical: 8.5/10 - Seems like the soundtrack is what really makes the game inspirational; graphics are above-average, but suffer in certain spots.

Thanks for taking the time to review the game. I'm still on the fence about it, but it's good to have some additional information.
    Just go and get its amazing and 10/10 is what this game truly deserves

Hunter-Scholar-Gentleman

Quote Originally Posted by abhinandhan22 View Post
    Agreed. There is no such thing as being on the fence with Bioshock Infinite; you're either in or you're wrong.

Currently Playing

Signature & Avatar
    `courtesy of DaRe_xLw

KCCO!

Quote Originally Posted by abhinandhan22 View Post
    Did you quote my entire post without reading a word of it?

Lvl 8 - Gold

ive been hearing the fantastic reviews for this game, and it only makes me want it more. stupid lack of good incoming cash flow . great review, still makes me wanna get this game really bad.

hey, just as a side note, does anyone know if this is the first game to receive a 10/10 on this site???

Change is mediocre

Quote Originally Posted by jaws-ate View Post
    hey, just as a side note, does anyone know if this is the first game to receive a 10/10 on this site???
    No.

Batman Arkham City Review
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution Review
    Journey Review
    Mass Effect 2 Review
    Portal 2 Review
    Red Dead Redemption Review

Where The Wind Blows

Hitman, without spoiling anything, this is a game where everything, story-wise, is reliant on the ending. It's "sudden-twist-which-makes-everything-make-sense" storytelling. That may sound bad (it usually does to me), but trust me when I say it's perfectly satisfying the way Infinite ultimately delivers. To not account for the ending's weight would be a huge mistake for any review.

This review is fantastic and true, and although your style remains a little too casual for my taste, you hit the nail on the head when ultimately judging this game.

Click for some context for this signature. It rotates the lyric every time it's reloaded!

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by TerminalPhoenix View Post
    Agreed. There is no such thing as being on the fence with Bioshock Infinite; you're either in or you're wrong.
    There's no such thing as being 'wrong' here. It's all a matter of perspective, and there can be as many perspectives as there are people. Just because 90 people out of a hundred think it is amazing it doesn't mean the other 10 are wrong, it just means they disagree (due to their own reasons, whichever they may be) with what the majority/average agrees, and that's up to them.

Remember subjectivity is present in all forms of media. Even if from a critical and nearly-objective standpoint something should be considered a masterpiece, it doesn't mean everyone should agree, let alone like it.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Hunter-Scholar-Gentleman

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    There's no such thing as being 'wrong' here. It's all a matter of perspective, and there can be as many perspectives as there are people. Just because 90 people out of a hundred think it is amazing it doesn't mean the other 10 are wrong, it just means they disagree (due to their own reasons, whichever they may be) with what the majority/average agrees, and that's up to them.

Remember subjectivity is present in all forms of media. Even if from a critical and nearly-objective standpoint something should be considered a masterpiece, it doesn't mean everyone should agree, let alone like it.
    Simply exaggerating to get the point across that this is a very good game and one shouldn't pass up on it.

Currently Playing

Signature & Avatar
    `courtesy of DaRe_xLw

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Easily the most memorable ending for any game I've played. This game deserves all the praise it has received!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast