Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bioshock Infinite Review

This is a discussion on Bioshock Infinite Review within the Game Reviews forum, part of the Trophy Guides, Reviews & Articles; Originally Posted by Hitmanchan So, I read the review because this game does interest me, and here are a few ...

Aussie Furry, Bitch

In a multiverses of different bodies and souls

Quote Originally Posted by Hitmanchan View Post
    So, I read the review because this game does interest me, and here are a few points I'd like to make.

Editorial Note: I don't think there's such a word as dystopic. I think what you wanted to say was dystopian. There are other editorial/grammatical errors, but that's the one that really got under my skin.

As far as the review, the gist of what I got from your review was:
    • Gameplay mechanics are better than Bioshock 1 and 2 in terms of the shooting
    • There seems to be a decent selection of guns and vigors (plasmids) at your disposal
    • You seem to like the "Patriot" enemy, but don't really say anything about any other types of enemies, bosses, etc.
    • You have more health/ammo/weapon upgrade options than you did in previous installments
    • The game presents the additional dynamic of equippable gear which enhances player attributes
    • Story is phenomenal and it seems like it's what makes up 80% of what's good about the game
    • Graphics are good, but nothing groundbreaking
    • Soundtrack seems to have more of an effect than the graphics on the enjoyability of the game
    I think your Gameplay section provides a decent amount of information. Perhaps it's me, but I found your Singleplayer section to be mostly full of rhetoric and superfluous verbiage.

I know reviews are meant to be spoiler-free, but it seems like the Single Player section of your review was so cryptic, I knew almost nothing more about the game than I did prior to reading it other than side missions aren't apparent and the way to get to your next objective isn't either. Is the story fast-paced? Are there lulls? How's the character development? Do you get attached to the character and this Elizabeth throughout the game? Are these 'decisions' that you have to make in the game crucial and pivotal, or are they just a nice enhancement to the game that really don't make or break the story?

The Technical section of your review seems ok. It gives me an idea of what to expect. I can certainly appreciate a good soundtrack to a game. The fact that it doesn't make a habit of recycling environments is also refreshing.

I also saw your comment to Nagflar about the score dropping half-way through the game, but you decided to inflate it based on the ending. That's akin to those folks that would've given ME3 a higher score if it weren't for the 5-minute ending, which I found to be utterly ridiculous and petty.

To me, you gave a near-perfect game a perfect score. Based on your review, I would probably rescore this as:

Gameplay: 9/10 - Doesn't seem to be anything revolutionary about the gameplay; Uses many of the same concepts as most other games, although it flows better.

Singleplayer: 9/10 - Based on your comment to Nagflar, I get the feeling the initial admiration of the game started wearing off until you reached the climactic ending.

Technical: 8.5/10 - Seems like the soundtrack is what really makes the game inspirational; graphics are above-average, but suffer in certain spots.

Thanks for taking the time to review the game. I'm still on the fence about it, but it's good to have some additional information.
    I appreciate the time you took to write this up, and whilst I can't respond right now in detail, I'll do so later. But I do want to address that I had to be cryptic. It's a game where things will seem stupid and pointless, but when it all comes together you'll kick yourself for not understanding it previously.

Also, I'm pretty sure dystopic is a word. It was used by my English lectures frequently (and still is in uni) as the opposite of utopic. Or maybe it's just Aussie slang.

Aussie Furry, Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    There's no such thing as being 'wrong' here. It's all a matter of perspective, and there can be as many perspectives as there are people. Just because 90 people out of a hundred think it is amazing it doesn't mean the other 10 are wrong, it just means they disagree (due to their own reasons, whichever they may be) with what the majority/average agrees, and that's up to them.

Remember subjectivity is present in all forms of media. Even if from a critical and nearly-objective standpoint something should be considered a masterpiece, it doesn't mean everyone should agree, let alone like it.
    This.

Like you said, all forms of media, especially games, are subjective. For me, the answer is clear. You don't like a game that everyone else does? You like a game that everyone else hates? Fine. But back your statements up with evidence. No one, above all me or any other RT member, is going to take you seriously if you don't provide vivid points to back up your statement. That's the way it works.

PRO Member

Good review man, your best yet

I actually asked Nag the other week if you guys had someone reviewing this, was a little bummed out when he said yeah

This is definitely the best game I've played for years though, deserves all of the hype

PRO Member

I agree it's a good game, crisp visual's and a good story, but to say this game is PERFECT which is what a 10/10 is a fan review not a critique and that's fine but there is way to much hype in this game. Its a definitely 9/10

Some of the things I thought were detracting

There were not a lot of different guys to fight, the parts on the ship where your getting shot and cannot find where the shooter is. This was a very frustrating point , eventually after a few deaths and some swearing I was able to locate the shooters but was a bit frustrating a minor fault but still a fault.

The game was short, I was surprised how short it was like real short.

Change is good

Quote Originally Posted by thedevilsminion View Post
    I agree it's a good game, crisp visual's and a good story, but to say this game is PERFECT which is what a 10/10 is a fan review not a critique and that's fine but there is way to much hype in this game. Its a definitely 9/10
    No one, not even Kerwan is saying that this game is perfect. I love the game and I don't think it's perfect, there are still many ways to improve upon it. A 10/10 doesn't mean perfect, hell, Kerwan didn't even give it full scores in all aspects, but a 10/10 is as close to perfect as we're gonna get.

KCCO!

Quote Originally Posted by Kerwan_Ratchet View Post
    I appreciate the time you took to write this up, and whilst I can't respond right now in detail, I'll do so later. But I do want to address that I had to be cryptic. It's a game where things will seem stupid and pointless, but when it all comes together you'll kick yourself for not understanding it previously.

Also, I'm pretty sure dystopic is a word. It was used by my English lectures frequently (and still is in uni) as the opposite of utopic. Or maybe it's just Aussie slang.
    I understand you had to be cryptic and spoiler free; I suppose I wanted a bit more information. I don't typically mind minor spoilers.

I suppose I've never seen the words 'dystopic' or 'utopic' used. I've always read (and used) utopian and dystopian.

Lvl 7 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Hitmanchan View Post
    Did you quote my entire post without reading a word of it?
    I read ur entire post but really u should get this game

Random Access Memories

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    There's no such thing as being 'wrong' here. It's all a matter of perspective, and there can be as many perspectives as there are people. Just because 90 people out of a hundred think it is amazing it doesn't mean the other 10 are wrong, it just means they disagree (due to their own reasons, whichever they may be) with what the majority/average agrees, and that's up to them.

Remember subjectivity is present in all forms of media. Even if from a critical and nearly-objective standpoint something should be considered a masterpiece, it doesn't mean everyone should agree, let alone like it.
    Exactly fucking this. The more this game (or any for that matter) get's hyped to shit, the more I'll expect "too" much from it and not be able to enjoy it myself and possibly be let down in the process. Thankfully I'll be able to "hop on the bandwagon" and jizz myself over the game soon enough.

I did not read your review Kerwan, but I will when I play through the game and personally pass judgement on it myself and compare it to what you have to say. I appreciate your work though so keep it up.

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |Sig by Smashguy | GDT bar by
    djunglist|
    |Avy - Daft Punk returns|

Thanks to GDT for hosting awesome competitions!

Hunter-Scholar-Gentleman

Quote Originally Posted by Kerwan_Ratchet View Post
    This.

Like you said, all forms of media, especially games, are subjective. For me, the answer is clear. You don't like a game that everyone else does? You like a game that everyone else hates? Fine. But back your statements up with evidence. No one, above all me or any other RT member, is going to take you seriously if you don't provide vivid points to back up your statement. That's the way it works.
    I'm sorry but I'm going to ask you both to back off. If you saw my reply I confirmed that I was simply exaggerating the point that one would be wrong to pass up on this game. It was not meant to be analyzed and autopsied, merely a statement that was more humor than trying to convey a hard point. If I were to argue something, you will see backed up facts and information to prove my point because I know how it works. I'm sorry that tone sometimes is not readily discernible from text, but had you read my reply to Nagflar you would have understood that. Next time I will choose my words better and more careful so you can understand me the first time. It's my fault.

The Road So Far And The Road Ahead
    `2nd place Trophy Checklist (2013)
    `Checklist Spotlight #2 Winner (2014)

Currently Playing
    `NFS Rivals [64%]
    `Diablo 3: Ultimate Ed. [0%]

Signature & Avatar
    `courtesy of DaRe_xLw

Aussie Furry, Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Luckay View Post
    No one, not even Kerwan is saying that this game is perfect. I love the game and I don't think it's perfect, there are still many ways to improve upon it. A 10/10 doesn't mean perfect, hell, Kerwan didn't even give it full scores in all aspects, but a 10/10 is as close to perfect as we're gonna get.
    Indeed. No game ever will be perfect, and there are some faults in this game as well. I was being perfectly honest when I gave it a 10/10. It was nothing to do with 'fanboyism'.

Quote Originally Posted by Curse View Post
    Good review man, your best yet
    Thanks, I'd have to agree on that one

Aussie Furry, Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by TerminalPhoenix View Post
    I'm sorry but I'm going to ask you both to back off. If you saw my reply I confirmed that I was simply exaggerating the point that one would be wrong to pass up on this game. It was not meant to be analyzed and autopsied, merely a statement that was more humor than trying to convey a hard point. If I were to argue something, you will see backed up facts and information to prove my point because I know how it works. I'm sorry that tone sometimes is not readily discernible from text, but had you read my reply to Nagflar you would have understood that. Next time I will choose my words better and more careful so you can understand me the first time. It's my fault.
    Oh, I wasn't targeting you, or anyone else for that matter. It was a broad statement.

PRO Member

I'm sorry, I'm sure it's a great game, but I couldn't get past your last paragraph in the gameplay section. Still trying to work out how magic pants can help you reload your weapons. Seems a little anachronistic for a game that supposedly takes place in 1912 on Earth.
    Currently working on: Jak 3

Platinums (25): 3D Dot Game Heroes, de Blob 2, FIFA 14, FF XIII, FF XIII-2, inFAMOUS, Jak 1, Jak 2, LittleBigPlanet, LittleBigPlanet 2, Medieval Moves, ModNation Racers, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, Racquet Sports, Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time, Rayman Legends, Rayman Origins, Sly 1, Sly 2, Sly 3, Sports Champions, Sports Champions 2, Tiger Woods PGA Tour Golf 12: The Masters, Trine 2, WipEout HD

Trophy Checklist

Trophy Guides:
    Racquet Sports

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I don't agree with 80% of the reviews here, but this one, I whole heartly agree. I was afraid infinite was going to be all artsy-fartsy and no substance, and I'm sure glad as hell I was wrong, because this game is fucking amazing. The gameplay, the story, the ear orgasming soundtrack and hell, even the ending was so well done and is probably one of the best ways to end a game ever. Good review.

Thank you to Bladia for the signature

the dead don't speak

This is an excellent review of a superior video game. I love everything about it but I must admit that it is too linear to deserve a perfect score. If only there more side quests and the possibility of investigating the secondary characters' past and/or motivations more deeply, Infinite would definitely earn a 10 out of 10. Booker has incredible potential as a complex and complete character but learning about his past through recordings and vague chatter is frustrating at best.

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

Bravo Kerwan, you handled the review well considering what a deathtrap of spoilers explaining it can be.
    To the quibblers i say... It's a fucking Videogame, enjoy it for what it is, a work of bloody fiction with it's own set of rules.

Anyhoo. I'm throwing my hat into the already large ' This game is Awesome ' pile. Well thought out story, solid mechanics, interesting main characters and a world full of little wonderful details, It's a near dead cert for Game Of 2013 and should be in many best of lists for years to come.

Aussie Furry, Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Larrydavidsavatar View Post
    Bravo Kerwan, you handled the review well considering what a deathtrap of spoilers explaining it can be.
    To the quibblers i say... It's a fucking Videogame, enjoy it for what it is, a work of bloody fiction with it's own set of rules.

Anyhoo. I'm throwing my hat into the already large ' This game is Awesome ' pile. Well thought out story, solid mechanics, interesting main characters and a world full of little wonderful details, It's a near dead cert for Game Of 2013 and should be in many best of lists for years to come.
    Agreed. I don't understand how people come to a game, observe a floating city in the sky and then question how pants make you shoot better...and how there are so many things that aren't possible or can't happen, blah, blah, blah, blah.

I have a feeling these sort of people failed dramatically at fiction writing and literature.

Lvl 4 - Silver

I hate to be that guy, but am I seriously the only one on earth who doesn't like Bioshock Infinite's ending? It's really hard to explain without spoiling but I felt like in general the ending had a massive amount of plot holes and questions left unanswered, and it has the lazy response of 'because alternate universes' to most questions aimed at it, which is what I hate the most about it. If you guys can answer my spoiler-ific questions and tell me why this is such a great ending then please do, but as of right now I just don't see it.

Argument with massive amount of spoilers, do not read if you haven't played.

Toggle Spoiler

EDIT: Just thought I'd add this so everyone doesn't rage at me, I'm not saying the story is necessarily bad and neither am I saying the game is. For the most part I highly enjoyed the gameplay and the way the story was trickled to you throughout felt great, and fluid. Overall the game's still great the only part I do not like is the ending and a few plot gripes.

"Jigglypuff is the Finest"

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by GomletX View Post
    I hate to be that guy, but am I seriously the only one on earth who doesn't like Bioshock Infinite's ending? It's really hard to explain without spoiling but I felt like in general the ending had a massive amount of plot holes and questions left unanswered, and it has the lazy response of 'because alternate universes' to most questions aimed at it, which is what I hate the most about it. If you guys can answer my spoiler-ific questions and tell me why this is such a great ending then please do, but as of right now I just don't see it.

EDIT: Just thought I'd add this so everyone doesn't rage at me, I'm not saying the story is necessarily bad and neither am I saying the game is. For the most part I highly enjoyed the gameplay and the way the story was trickled to you throughout felt great, and fluid. Overall the game's still great the only part I do not like is the ending and a few plot gripes.
    I can answer all your questions very easily. I didn't initially pick up on the answers, but after some pondering and re-watching the ending, it all made sense. I think that's the best part about the ending, it doesn't hold your hand all the way, you still need to ponder some things for yourself. Not a lot of games or movies do that anymore.

Warning Major Spoilers, do not read unless you have finished the game.

Toggle Spoiler

Awesome Sig by TheGeneral09
    My Awesome Checklist

Lvl 6 - Silver

Good review. I really enjoyed this game and I was hooked all the way to the end. Loved the ending.
    Thanks to xEl_Cidx for my awesome Avy and Sig.

Synthwave <3

I shouldn't have read this review because now I want the game even more! I've had several people recommend this game to me so I plan to get it somewhere soon down the line ... just gotta complete some other games first. Nice review!

Sig by PixieofDarkness
    Platbar by djunglist

My trophy checklist

Latest :

The Last of Us

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast