Terraria Review

This is a discussion on Terraria Review within the Game Reviews forum, part of the Trophy Guides, Reviews & Articles; Terraria by Kankri Banner by Ramon3110 . Basic Information: Developer: Re-Logic Publisher: 505 Games Platform: : PlayStation 3 North American ...

Banned

Terraria Review

Terraria
    by Kankri

Banner by Ramon3110.

Basic Information:
    Developer: Re-Logic
    Publisher: 505 Games
    Platform:: PlayStation 3
    North American Release Date: March 26, 2013
    European Release Date: May 15, 2013
    Trophies: 1 | 2 | 19 | 17
    Trophy Guide: Terraria Trophy Guide by: Vulgar

Overview
    Terraria isn't exactly a new game, being released some time during Summer 2011, but Re-Logic and 505 Games have decided to make a console version. You will be able to experience multiple worlds by yourself, or with friends. It's a game about exploration, survival, and crafting, but is it worth your $15?

Gameplay

Terraria is a 2D platformer, but with elements of games like Minecraft. You'll find yourself digging, crafting, building, and pretty much anything else you'd find yourself doing in those games. What makes it different from those games are the 2D graphics and sheer amount of items, which you can find or create. The platforming is solid, and it has some neat little extras that you can earn throughout the game, such as a Grappling Hook or Rocket Boots. Even with those things, there are multiple factors that can impede your adventuring, such as lava, water, and most annoyingly: fall damage. Still, the items will make getting around the world so much easier. The only potential problem with these pecial items is that you only have five special equipment spots for them to go in, so you will end up needing to combine some of them, and even then you'll still need to switch them out every now and then for maximum ease of mobility, so inventory management is a must.

Character creation in the game is nothing too special, with most of the options you'd expect to normally be available. You can choose your character's gender and hair type, and you also have many options for colors. You can choose the colors for your shirt, undershirt, pants, shoes, eyes, skin, and hair. The color options have a lot to choose from, but not in the way you'd expect. Instead of a slider to choose from the whole spectrum of colors, you have 100 boxes to select from. These go from solid colors to gradients, but it is still a let down if you're crazy about having an exact shade you want. The last option you'll notice has a lot of impact on how you play game itself, and that would be difficulty. You have three options: Normal, Difficult, and Hardcore. With Normal, you'll only drop half of each type of coin you're carrying upon death. On the Difficult setting, you will drop every single item you're holding when you die. On Hardcore, death is permanent. None of these difficulties affect enemy strength, they're just different penalties for dying, and dying is something you'll be doing a lot of in this game. The game won't forgive you much for mistakes, instead making you search for or create items to stop things like taking massive fall damage or drowning in water.

The world you make in Terraria is randomly generated, which makes each one a new experience. When you first create it on a free slot, you have three choices regarding the size of your world: Small, Medium, and Large. With a Small world, your world will be 4300x1200 blocks width and height,(Blocks are considered a foot long in this game), and the world nearly doubles in size when you select the Large world option, going straight to 8400x2400 blocks. In your world, there are areas generally called biomes. These are randomly placed throughout your world, with the few constants being the Space biome at the very top, the Underworld biome at the very bottom, and two oceans on the edges of the map. There are also deserts, a jungle, and a special one called the Corruption. Every biome is different from the other, and having them randomized keeps the worlds fresh for a time. A new map feature was added, and it makes keeping track of the world you're in very easy. It is located in the Multiplayer menu, which is accessed with the Select button. When here, you can scroll through it and see every part of the world you've been to. It also keeps track of ore you've seen, so you can quickly locate it if you're in need, and it even notes the locations of every NPC in your world, and nearby monsters too. This is a much needed feature in my opinion, and makes the game less of a headache than the PC version, where this feature didn't exist within the game.

You'll be doing a lot of crafting in this game, as that is how you progress in the game, if you want to call it that. You will have to harvest ores such as silver or gold, and it only goes up from there. Ore isn't the only thing you require, you will also have to collect various items scattered throughout the world to craft most of the good stuff. Once you have everything you need, you can go to various crafting stations, such as a forge or anvil. Items in the same subcategory are placed to the side (and are usually just variants of the same item), but can also be completely different items like the one with the Work Bench, which contains various other crafting stations. In the end, the main purpose of the crafting system is to create new weapons and armor. What you have affects how well you do against the game's many enemies and bosses. The crafting in the game is very satisfying, and I feel it works well in a game like this. Many games with crafting offer little choice, so it's refreshing to have a game give you so much to create. You'll be spending a lot of time working towards upgrading what you have, whether it be a tools, weapons or armor.

Combat in this game is very simple, all you need to do is turn in the direction you wish and press the attack button to use your weapon. Lots of items can be used as weapons, and there are quite a lot in this game. You have all sorts of swords, spears, axes, and even guns to use! Enemy AI only serves to be infuriating, as you have two types: walk/jump around back and forth forever, or teleport/dig/fly around. The ones that walk or jump around forever aren't a problem, but the other kind are a big problem, especially the teleporting ones, who will throw magic at you. Boss fights are about the same, except they fly around like smug assholes and crash into you, doing lots of damage no matter what tier of armor you have. Defeating one feels satisfying the first time you do it, but it will almost instantly wear off when you finding yourself doing it multiple times for materials. Magic (unsurprisingly), exists in this game, collected inside tomes that you need to find individually. You can cast them repeatedly until your MP (which will always be pitifully small), runs out. Magic ends up having a very limited use, seemingly only useful in enclosed places, which is a bit uncommon, so you'll realize quickly that weapons are just plain better.

The last thing I'd like to cover about the gameplay are the controls, and how well they translated over from the PC, seeing as this is the main difference between them. Initially, I was very skeptical about a console version of Terraria. It was a mouse & keyboard game originally, so how could a controller possibly match? Surprisingly
    well, it seems. I'd even go as far to say that the controller makes Terraria easier and more fun as an experience. Instead of a single cursor for the screen, you get two that you can toggle between at any time. The first one is called Auto Cursor Mode. You can control it with the left or right stick, and it will come back to you when you let go. As the name suggests, it will automatically target blocks, making it inconvenient in most cases. I found myself using this for quickly digging tunnels, or placing the background for the rooms in my house. The second cursor is called Manual Cursor Mode, and it is designed to be like using a mouse as you would on the PC version. This is the one you will want to use for combat and pretty much anything else besides the two examples I gave for the first one. They put some decent effort toward this version of Terraria, and my fears were dispelled almost immediately. The controls are also very responsive, with no delay to annoy you with, but a bit too responsive. This can be a bit of a problem if you're going for precision though, as the slightest nudge of the control sticks could move you or your cursor out of place. This is obviously annoying, as accidentally letting loose a bomb or stick of Dynamite inside the house you've spent time working on would be a damn shame.

Singleplayer
    Singleplayer is the weakest part of Terraria, and trying to play it on your own is just plain discouraging. There is no story to keep you going, and the world feels lonely when it's just you and whatever almost-lifeless NPCs you earn from completing various tasks. The only way to progress in the game is to constantly seek new gear, and you're better off just doing that in Multiplayer, where you'll at least have friends to help you defeat the game's bosses and get new equipment.

After defeating a certain boss you unlock Hard Mode, where enemies hit harder and Corruption will spread at incredibly fast rate, unless you've taken precautions. Unfortunately, the difficulty increase is quite steep, which makes playing Hard Mode, and ultimately Singleplayer, on your own a frustrating and inadvisable experience.

Multiplayer
    Terraria was made for multiplayer, and that's where the real fun begins. It features a Drop-In/Drop-Out system that supports up to eight people at once, and you can play on your world or a friend's. Also included are small features like Voice Chat, PvP, and four teams. The PvP is accessed by joining one of the teams: Red, Green, Blue, and Yellow. Once you are on a team, you need to toggle PvP on, and then you will be able to attack anyone that isn't on your team. Unfortunately, PvP gets old fast, and later on becomes pointless when everyone has powerful items that can kill you in just a few hits, but it's still nice that they included a feature like this.

The main appeal of the Multiplayer is getting to adventure through a world with your friends, where you can spend countless hours digging or just building a house. The focus, however, is still the same as it is in Singleplayer, with no differences aside from playing with people. You'll find that digging is faster and boss fights can be easier with multiple people as well, with having more than one person attacking being the difference between life and death. Playing Multiplayer is only possible with people you have on your friends list, but then again, would you really want to play this game with random assholes? Especially random assholes with Dynamite.

Technical
    One of the first things you'll notice about Terraria are the graphics, and more specifically, how they're two-dimensional. The sprites look like something you'd find on one of the Final Fantasy titles for the Super Nintendo. Even with the same general style, the game still manages to have its own.
    All of the sprites (aside from the damn recolors which make up 99% of the new content), look great, and almost manage to be completely unique (again, damn recolors). The graphics definitely get the job done, and I have to give extra praise to the individual areas. The Corruption looks just how it should, filled with varying shades of purple and filled with unholy abominations that shouldn't exist.

This lucky player was graced with the rare Snow biome, which has all the effects you'd expect of a snow area

The music fits the game even more than the graphics, setting different moods for every area. One of the first songs you'll hear when you start this game is the one for the Forest. It's a very upbeat song, and you'll find yourself welcoming it, because you'll quickly associate it with the time you're able to go outside safely (or as safe as it can get in Terraria). Meanwhile, the theme that plays when nighttime hits will evoke feelings like you're alone while still managing to somehow feel catchy. Other notable songs are the ones for Boss fights, the Jungle theme, and the Hallow. I find this to be one of the strongest parts of the game, and find myself listening to the music quite frequently.

Unfortunately, the game has had many bugs and connection issues reported, most of which have been patched, but a few still do exist. One issue I had was having a friend play and leave, but his character remained there, taking up a slot even when he rejoined, the Voice Chat is still buggy as well. The most frequent issue I had was having the frame-rate drop constantly. While these didn't even last for a second, they were still noticeable and were frequent enough to be quite annoying when trying to quickly get through your world.

Trophies
    The trophies for Terraria will take you quite a while, if you do decide to go for them. While it is possible for a friend to help you defeat every boss, and hand you every item required for trophies, those won't even be the most time consuming. The worst one is smelting 10,000 bars of metal, which will take 30,000 ore. Even with help, you only have 40 slots to hold items, and the maximum stack of ore you can hold is 250, meaning it will take you at least four trips to smelt all of the ore. This is definitely a game you'll have to put a chunk of time into, no matter what.

Closing Thoughts
    Overall, Terraria is a great game if you have friends to play with, and the patience to get through the slow beginning with them. The worst thing about the game would actually be its price, $15 is simply too much for the game when the PC version is often on sale for $5 or even less. Despite the price issue and a couple of glitches, this is still the best version of Terraria available.

Gameplay: 7.5/10
    Terraria translates well from PC, with the new control scheme feeling natural. Crafting items is strangely addictive, and you'll find yourself relishing the creation of bars from ore. Combat can get dull, or even frustrating at times, though.

Singleplayer: 4/10
    The same excellent gameplay, but severely lacking without multiplayer. A decent last resort for those without a good connection, but hardly the highlight of the game.

Multiplayer: 8.5/10
    Adding multiplayer to a 2D Platformer manages to work. Fun times will be had whether it be boss fights or just mining.

Technical: 7/10
    The 2D graphics work well in this game, with lots of vibrant colors. Nearly every item is unique, so you can spend a lot of time appreciating them. The music is fantastic , fitting the mood of the game perfectly. Glitches still exist, unfortunately, so points are lost there.

Overall: 7/10 Good
    Last edited by thedirtyburger; 12-11-2013 at 02:12 AM.

Kiwi Defender

Nice work, mesa. The game's not really like I thought it was, and it seems playing alone is more boring than I originally imagined. Might give it a try someday, even more so if they decide to put it on sale or something.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    Nice work, mesa. The game's not really like I thought it was, and it seems playing alone is more boring than I originally imagined. Might give it a try someday, even more so if they decide to put it on sale or something.
    When you play it alone, you'll most likely get sick of it within thirty minutes.

If you ever decide to get it, I'll play it with you.

DeadMansHand

great review mate, i personally love this game! played it on Steam with some buddies on thier server..

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by djunglist View Post
    great review mate, i personally love this game! played it on Steam with some buddies on thier server..
    Haha, I put too many hours into it on the PC. There were some great mods for it.

#cutformesa

This review is pure sex. I approve.

Current Playthrough Counts:
    Mass Effect: 25 || Mass Effect 2: 44
    Mass Effect 3: 15
    Add me for ME3 multiplayer shenanigans.
    First legit Mass Effect 3 100% on PS3T.

SERBIA STRONG

Thanks to Luckay for the ETGWG bar and avy, and Qurb for the sig!

Lvl 9 - Gold

Still doesnt show up on the store for me lol has the name but not able to buy it think ill end up giving it a pass anyway D:

KCCO!

Mesa, I thoroughly enjoyed your review. It was quite detailed, and explained many of the nuances of the game and it's different modes, the gameplay mechanics, the appeal of the multiplayer, and so forth. One thing that I still didn't see (and perhaps I missed it) is an overarching plot. What's the point of the game?

Still the Chocobo

I enjoyed reading this yesterday but didn't have time to post. It gave me some good insight on the bad and good of the game. I'm a little interested but becuase I don't really have friends yet on PSN or any with Terraria, this game looks like a major loner fest of building and upgrading.
    Currently Playing:
    Zombie Tycoon 2
    Brainhov's Revenge

Nothing is true,
    everything is permitted.

Flashy Avatar by K.I.D
    Beautiful Signature by Beam & K.I.D

If I could, I would GLOW

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Mesa, I thoroughly enjoyed your review. It was quite detailed, and explained many of the nuances of the game and it's different modes, the gameplay mechanics, the appeal of the multiplayer, and so forth. One thing that I still didn't see (and perhaps I missed it) is an overarching plot. What's the point of the game?
    There is no story. It's just beat these guys, explore here and build this.

KCCO!

Quote Originally Posted by AceOfKnaves92 View Post
    There is no story. It's just beat these guys, explore here and build this.
    Ok, that's kind of dumb.

Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by Hitmanchan View Post
    Ok, that's kind of dumb.
    It's almost a literal sandbox - try telling Mojang they're dumb.
    I personally love both this and Minecraft.

KCCO!

Quote Originally Posted by Swanny View Post
    It's almost a literal sandbox - try telling Mojang they're dumb.
    I personally love both this and Minecraft.
    I'd like to think I'm aiming towards some goal.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Hitmanchan View Post
    I'd like to think I'm aiming towards some goal.
    Killing all of the bosses I think is kind of the goal of this havent played it myself though, it only just decided to show up on the PS store today for me.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I think that I wil wait for a sale, then get it. My coworker swears that it is the greatest game ever