Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

The Last of Us Review

This is a discussion on The Last of Us Review within the Game Reviews forum, part of the Trophy Guides, Reviews & Articles; That was amazingly written Faust and I feel like you included detail on everything. It's one of the best games ...

Still the Chocobo

That was amazingly written Faust and I feel like you included detail on everything. It's one of the best games I've ever played and an Epic rating is no joke.

I highly reccomend every gamer experience this game.
    Last edited by Hall_Of_Game; 07-01-2013 at 02:08 PM.
    Currently Playing:
    Zombie Tycoon 2
    Brainhov's Revenge

Nothing is true,
    everything is permitted.

Flashy Avatar by K.I.D
    Beautiful Signature by Beam & K.I.D

If I could, I would GLOW

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I troll forums defending this EPIC tittle. All is Kosher here!..... Well done... the war continues.

KCCO!

Another solid review, Faust. Your attention to detail is only paralleled by Naughty Dog's.

I have one question, though. One aspect of TWD that I think people found riveting and added to the depth of the story was the inclusion of choices, which weren't pivotal turning points la RPG's, but still added some complexity. Does The Last of Us contain that type of dynamic? Unless I missed something, it's not evidently clear.

Labels

Quote Originally Posted by Hitmanchan View Post
    Another solid review, Faust. Your attention to detail is only paralleled by Naughty Dog's.

I have one question, though. One aspect of TWD that I think people found riveting and added to the depth of the story was the inclusion of choices, which weren't pivotal turning points la RPG's, but still added some complexity. Does The Last of Us contain that type of dynamic? Unless I missed something, it's not evidently clear.
    Other than one small little choice at the beginning of the game, there are not any story-related choices you can make.
    Thanks to djunglist for the sig

"I went from the slums of hell to paradise in heaven, from a sling shot to a wall of Mac 11's"

KCCO!

Quote Originally Posted by AlecDawesome View Post
    Other than one small little choice at the beginning of the game, there are not any story-related choices you can make.
    Cheers!

XCON: Enemy Without Bail

I'm flat out stating that anyone, having played this, then giving it a simple shrug of the shoulders and a virtual 'meh' is wrong. I'm all for everyone's opinion being their opinion but this is a rare exception where i refuse to accept nitpicking and apathy.

The Last Of Us is nearly everything i could want or expect. SOS The Final Escape and Manhunt came to mind for me while playing, only miles more refined. Lots of things get done to death genre wise, you just have to look for the differences not the similarities.

The immense greatness of Bioshock Infinite seems to have been beaten to game of 2013 unless of course, GTA V turns out to be 101% spectacular.
    Credit to the awesome ERICVOLTAGE for that. ^

the dead don't speak

Although the very idea of giving a perfect 10 to a game is abject to me, this one is very much close to the perfect video game experience. There isn't anything at all that I truly dislike about The Last of Us, besides its linear plot - yet still it all makes sense in the grand scheme. Everything detail is a passionate pixel that fits right in a beautiful, immersive and twisted apocalyptic version of the classic zombie feature. This game is a must to any serious gamer. The best single player feel I've ever felt in years. Hard to describe, really. Audio is minimal yet hypnotic. Voice acting is brillant, way superior to most games out there. The script is simple yet effective and believable, the main character Joel is unforgettable. Game mechanics are at the same time easy to master and put forward some new ideas that feel fresh and exciting. Not enough trophies in my opinion, the one of a trophy hunter but every one feels precious. I never liked the Uncharted franchise but this one is different, it's epic. It's mainstream yet not at all at the same time - like a Kubrick movie. It's violent at times but never does it drown in it. Everytime Joel kills, it feels necessary and uneasy. Every bullet counts and after some encounters, I need to pause the game and relax a bit because I am overwhelmed. Whew.

Lvl 9 - Gold

This is a masterpiece of a game. Naughty Dog have really come to be one of the greatest story developers of all time with the great stories of Uncharted now Last of Us. They are so good at creating memorable characters in the history. First Crash Bandicoot, then Jak and Daxter, then Nathan Drake and now Joel and Ellie. Also I'm 20 years old and a few scenes even made me shed a tear which proves how great a story is how it makes you connect with the characters. It's one of those games you can say "This would make a good film" but want it to stay as a game.

#cutformesa

I find your language and elocution to be superfluous. What ho.

Current Playthrough Counts:
    Mass Effect: 25 || Mass Effect 2: 44
    Mass Effect 3: 15
    Add me for ME3 multiplayer shenanigans.
    First legit Mass Effect 3 100% on PS3T.

SERBIA STRONG

Thanks to Luckay for the ETGWG bar and avy, and Qurb for the sig!

Lvl 5 - Silver

I'm sorry, but this game is severely overrated. People calling it the greatest game of the generation are highly exaggerating. I take issue specifically with the clunky controls, AI issues, decent visuals at best, too "grimdark" artistic style, copious amounts of filler, predictable, boring story, the fact that it added nothing that hasn't been done before, and repetitive "puzzles" (if you could call them that). I mean, everyone can say how amazing the character development was, but I just didn't feel like the game was fun, I felt like the game was actively fighting me in regards to the clunky controls and forced walking.

I know some of you are going to say "go play CoD," or something like that, and my issue isn't that I need to be doing something at all times, I just feel that the game slows you down to pad the gameplay time a little. I'm not saying that it's a bad game by any means, but it isn't even the best game to come out this year (that honor goes to BioShock Infinite), let alone this generation.

Labels

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I'm sorry, but this game is severely overrated. People calling it the greatest game of the generation are highly exaggerating. I take issue specifically with the clunky controls, AI issues, decent visuals at best, too "grimdark" artistic style, copious amounts of filler, predictable, boring story, the fact that it added nothing that hasn't been done before, and repetitive "puzzles" (if you could call them that). I mean, everyone can say how amazing the character development was, but I just didn't feel like the game was fun, I felt like the game was actively fighting me in regards to the clunky controls and forced walking.

I know some of you are going to say "go play CoD," or something like that, and my issue isn't that I need to be doing something at all times, I just feel that the game slows you down to pad the gameplay time a little. I'm not saying that it's a bad game by any means, but it isn't even the best game to come out this year (that honor goes to BioShock Infinite), let alone this generation.
    Thanks to djunglist for the sig

"I went from the slums of hell to paradise in heaven, from a sling shot to a wall of Mac 11's"

Banned

The _ is silent.

Great review Faust, it was a nice read and I agree with everything said but with the way you scored it individually it seems that the overall score would be a 9 or 9.5? But great review nonetheless.

Sig and Avatar by SideEffect

The Roy

Ironically enough this is coming from a guy who had non stop complaints about the game and then got to the Winter season and started praising it and then after he beat it started complaining about it again. Make up your mind.
    This is my signature.

Editor in Chief - Editorials

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I'm glad most of you enjoyed reading my review.

I'm getting a few questions and comments about the score, so allow me to explain.

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalman123 View Post
    I will admit though, it seems weird to score a game a perfect 10 when you only gave some sections 8.5 and 9. Then again, I'm not the reviewer, so I'll just shut my face-hole now.
    Quote Originally Posted by KILLER_ View Post
    Great review Faust, it was a nice read and I agree with everything said but with the way you scored it individually it seems that the overall score would be a 9 or 9.5? But great review nonetheless.
    The score is obviously broken down into four sections: Singleplayer (pertaining to the story), Gameplay (mechanics, controls, immersion, difficulty etc), Multiplayer (self-explanitory), and Technical (how the game looks, sounds, and runs). Each of these sections, at least in this review, are weighted differently. Multiplayer is not equally as important as Singleplayer, for instance. As the most important component, the Singleplayer section carries the most weight, followed closely by Gameplay, then Technical and Multiplayer. In the draft of my review there was a line I wrote which basically stated that this game is greater than the sum of its parts, and it is for that reason that I awarded it an overall score of 10.
    It was not a spur of the moment decision, nor was it a "me too" score. It was the product of lengthy evaluation, and discussions with others who had played The Last of Us.

Moreover, a 10 out of 10 does not mean a 'perfect' game. Mathematically, yes, 10 out of 10 is 'perfect', but in the realm of human endeavours, there is no such thing as perfection. The Last of Us is in my mind, however, the closest thing.

Hopefully that answers any questions regarding the assignment of scores you may have.

While I'm here, though...

Quote Originally Posted by Curb View Post
    I find your language and elocution to be superfluous. What ho.
    I find your rhetoric to be shallow and pedantic. Come at me, Camarada.

Well, that's like, your opinion, man. But also, you're wrong. Seriously though, your incessant complaining about this game is the first mention I've ever come across of The Last of Us having poor controls. I think, possibly, plausibly, potentially, perchance, perhaps, maybe, you just suck at it. Furthermore, if your goal in The Last of Us is to sprint from A to B as quickly as possible, you're playing the game wrong. It's a game that needs to be explored and appreciated, not sped through. When I play games I hate forced walking. Hate it. Not just because my character is usually faster than the NPCs I'm supposed to be following (which pisses me off to no end), but because I just want to get on with it. The conversation I'm being forced to endure doesn't engage me, and the environments don't hold my attention. The same cannot be said of The Last of Us.

Quote Originally Posted by Troy View Post
    Ironically enough this is coming from a guy who had non stop complaints about the game and then got to the Winter season and started praising it and then after he beat it started complaining about it again. Make up your mind.
    Sorry, Troy. That's not Irony.

If people have more questions, please feel free to ask them, or if you have more comments, please post them .
    Unless you're Ryan, in which case, shuddup.

#hashtag

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post

Well, that's like, your opinion, man. But also, you're wrong.
    AH! The Life of a critic summarized into one sentence.

Lvl 5 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    Well, that's like, your opinion, man. But also, you're wrong. Seriously though, your incessant complaining about this game is the first mention I've ever come across of The Last of Us having poor controls. I think, possibly, plausibly, potentially, perchance, perhaps, maybe, you just suck at it. Furthermore, if your goal in The Last of Us is to sprint from A to B as quickly as possible, you're playing the game wrong. It's a game that needs to be explored and appreciated, not sped through. When I play games I hate forced walking. Hate it. Not just because my character is usually faster than the NPCs I'm supposed to be following (which pisses me off to no end), but because I just want to get on with it. The conversation I'm being forced to endure doesn't engage me, and the environments don't hold my attention. The same cannot be said of The Last of Us.
    First of all, I was not "talking smack at your review," as you put it, nor did you "own" me, so I have no idea why you are taking it as a personal attack.

Now that's out of the way, I can begin my response. The controls are most definitely clunky and awkward for me. It is the first game I've seen on PS3 that uses R1 to reload (yes, I know Gears and Halo use RB, but that is different) and L2 to sprint. Just because I have complaints about them doesn't mean I "suck at the game," in fact, I cannot comment on the difficulty of survivor or hard, I played it on normal, as I feel was intended by the developers (hence why they call it "normal").

I never said my goal was to sprint from point A to point B, but I will admit, I found the game went for "grimdark" and slow pacing so much, that I found myself a little bored at times. I'm not talking about walking while there is dialogue, but the game forces you to walk at so many different, seemingly random points. The only explanation I can think of for that are hidden loading screens (probable) and padding the game time (not so probable). In creating the tense, dark atmosphere that Naughty Dog wanted to make, they forgot the core concept of a game, in that it is supposed to be fun to play.

The environments were nothing too special. Like I said, they've been done before. Post-apocalyptic wasteland (for lack of a better term) with zombies. Stop me if you've heard that one before. The exploration of the environments was a good feature, but again, nothing new brought to the table.

I can say whatever I desire about The Last of Us, because opinions are subjective. You cannot claim that my opinion is wrong, rather that you disagree with it.

Gods Reign

Nice review Agree with it

PRO Member

That's odd, i never once ran into any glitch in game or with any trophy, i just flat out hated the online! lol....but this game killed it with the SP, and for that alone it is a 10 in my book......

Lvl 2 - Bronze

well that's just great even I after I return my copy & got my money to me this game would had a perfect 10 but nope its a 6 no thks to multiplayer & MP trophies

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast