Remember Me Review

This is a discussion on Remember Me Review within the Game Reviews forum, part of the Trophy Guides, Reviews & Articles; Remember Me by Rubicant81 Banner by Ramon3110 Basic Information: Developer: Dontnod Entertainment Publisher: Capcom North American Release Date: June 4, ...

Korean Girl Group Groupie

Remember Me Review

Remember Me
    by Rubicant81

Banner by Ramon3110

Basic Information:
    Developer: Dontnod Entertainment
    Publisher: Capcom
    North American Release Date: June 4, 2013
    European Release Date: June 7, 2013
    Trophies: 1 | 3 | 4 | 43
    Trophy Guide:
    Remember Me Trophy Guide by: DaveyHasselhoff

Overview

Remember Me
    is an action-adventure stealth game by first time developer Dontnod Entertainment. In a world in which memories are everything, and can be manipulated, altered, in the most dire of cases, deleted, your every decision has a profound effect on the destiny of the world around you. The question is, does this unique game offer enough to be a memorable experience, or will Remember Me be a game that you will wish you could delete from your own memories?

Gameplay

The thing you will notice quite quickly from the moment you take control of our protagonist is that this game feels a lot like many other titles out there. The initial instant you gain control of your character, you will feel almost as if you are playing a re-skinned version of Batman: Arkham Asylum's opening and as the game shifts into your first battle, you will get a second heavy dose of Batman deja vu as the combat is very similar to the "freeflow" combat of that title. For those who never played the title (shame on you first!) you basically have a system in which you hit the punch button, and you get a punch to the closest enemy in front of you. If you press the stick in the direction of an enemy behind you and hit punch again, you will punch that person instead. Along with punches, you have a kick button and a dodge button, and all of these pretty much flow together to give you an experience in which combat is jumped in and out of quite easily.

What differentiates this game from titles you might be used to is the fact that you are able to unlock each additional button to be added to your combo (which are also unlocked as you proceed, offering four different varieties: a three, five, six, and eight hit variations), and able to create your own combos with each new button. Along with your standard punch and kicks, each new button press comes in one of four forms. These are "regen" (for healing), "power" (for pure damage), "chain" (which copies the previous move and doubles its power) and "cooldown" (which decreases the timer on your individual special powers that use their own separate meter). These buttons, or as the game calls them, "Pressens", allow the player a lot of flexibility in creating your own individual combos for each situation. There may be an occasion in which you need to down something (big) quite fast, so you load up on power and chain Pressens, other times you might be ganged up on by a large group that your special abilities are needed more, for those it would be better to load up on cooldown and regen Pressens to stay alive long enough to use your specials. The choice is yours, as long as you remember you have options.

The Combo Lab - where experimenting with buttons has unique effects (buttons subject to change for PS3 version!)

There is more to the combat than simple combos, as I touched on earlier, there is a meter called your "Focus Gauge," which is used to activate your special powers called, "S-Pressens." These powers come in many varieties that unlock with standard progression of the game and range from a move that lets you hack robots to fight for your side (and then conveniently blow-up in a pool of cybernetic guilt) or go into a "Fury" and unleash a spam-filled combo of devastation. Joining your special moves is a weapon called the "Spammer" that lets you shoot data bursts at your foes, providing you a ranged option into your own memory altering arsenal.

The combat is fun, intuitive, and offers a lot more strategy than you would expect as you often find yourself adjusting your combos to deal with particular enemies. The camera is often going to be your most annoying opponent to overcome, however, as it has a tendency to get locked up in the most annoying of angles at the most inopportune of times. Luckily there's a little red warning symbol that will appear to let you know danger is coming, and as you learn the ropes and muscle memory takes over for your combo execution, you will find yourself marking your next opponent, and focusing on when the next red symbol pops up. I personally, wish there was a counter button, but even without it, the combat is only tough if you try to muscle your way through a situation, or end up in a corner or stuck on an object the camera can't get past.

Not everything in Remember Me is all punching bad guys in the faces. For those who have played a Prince of Persia title before, you will feel very at home as you climb, jump, traverse, and occasionally, fall to your death in similar fashion. The adventure is fairly linear, but for those times you do get an occasional nook or cranny, it will likely be for one of the games collectables, or to open up a pathway to progress back along the line.

At quite a few junctures you will also encounter some stealth portions in which you will have to sneak past a robotic sentry, or hide from something shooting at you. These don't offer anything too special and are normally you just learning the pattern of your opponent and running past or into a little nook from time to time. Occasionally you will need to access a "remembrane" to use another person's "borrowed" memories to see a solution. Other times the remembrane will be used to help you solve one of the game's small handful of puzzles. The stealth portions are unspectacular, and the puzzles are very simple memory (how apt!) based. Not particularly the game's strong points, but a nice short respite from the climbing and punching portions of the game.

You didn't think I was going to forget about the memory remixing portions of the game, did you? Well, normally when you come to the end of a level, there are three possible conclusions: the standard reach the finish point and a level ends, a couple of boss fights, or the game's most unique feature, "memory remixes." Memory remixing involves you watching a person's memory, and then rewinding/fast-forwarding your way through it to find objects to alter in order to get to a few possible solutions. Sometimes you end up with a happy ending. Most of the time you get minor changes that slightly alter the memory, but don't change the outcome. Then there are the possibility of finding "memory bugs" that, if changed, cause the individual in the memory to die (often in awkward ways), or you are able to reach the ending the game wants to achieve by changing the proper objects and reaching the desired memory ending outcome.

For being the game's only really unique feature, the memory remixing is a novelty that wears thin quick. Quite often you will find the controls clunky (they basically use the left stick like you're rewinding an old audio cassette or VHS tape) and a bit too sensitive at times. The trial and error aspect can also cause these segments to take way too long and really cause a damper on getting back to the story. With a bit of work, and less emphasis on having to do things in an exact order to be right, these could have been special, but sadly they are the game's weakest portions.

Singleplayer

Set in 2084, in the rebuilt city of Neo-Paris, you are thrust into the role of Nilin, an "errorist" (unique mix on computer speak and terrorist) who has recently been captured by Memorize, the corporation that controls most of the world since discovering how to alter memories. While standing in line, about to have the final stages of a "memory wipe" performed on her, Nilin's comm device (which in the future is built into your body right at the brain stem) activates, and a man by the name of Edge contacts you and gives you instruction to escape the procedure before any traces of the person you once were are erased forever.

What follows is a story of intrigue, self-discovery, and reparation as Nilin is given a chance to relive her past, without the weight of years of baggage to hold her down. The story is told in a mixture of cutscenes, dialogue, and inner monologues that are all shot with a film maker's touch that leaves you often feeling as if you are watching a brilliant science fiction movie. Other times, you get caught up in some dialogue that is a bit cheesy, forced, and awkward. Overall the experience, for a first time developer, is surprisingly stunning and leaves you with a unique self-contained story that doesn't force cliffhangers or added tension. I even went through the game a second time to see how certain pieces fell into place, and came out with even more respect for what Dontnod was able to accomplish. Many developers aren't able to accomplish a narrative this good on their fifth or sixth attempts, much less their first.

This robot's face was designed to give you comfort and a sense of peace. For me it gives me the heebies and jeebies.

Aside from the memory remixes, the other element that really hurts this game from being one for the ages, at least in the singleplayer department, is the fact that there is an excessively large amount of collectables. Quite often you won't move more than 20 feet before you find yourself looking (or listening in the case of scaramechs) for the next item. All four of the collectible types are useful in their own ways, whether it be to get PMP (Procedural Mastering Power, the games variation of experience points), Health upgrades, Focus upgrades for added special blocks, or Mnesist memories. Mnesist memories are left over data reserves from when individuals had their memories altered. These are what give the game most of its exposition, and for those who are interested in every aspect from the world's power source to how the world turned out, this is where the world of Remember Me is fleshed out and takes shape. I'm normally not a person who's put off by collectables, but for a game with seven-ish (a prologue and last boss level don't really count too much in my book) levels, to have 125 collectables is a little much.

Technical

First off, pardon my French, but holy sh** what a soundtrack this game has! Oliver Deriviere has created a masterpiece of a soundtrack that seamlessly blends orchestral and electronic music to breathe life into the narrative and the city of Neo-Paris that makes this one of the most perfect musical accompaniment in a game I have ever. With the perfect blend of classical and futuristic, each song adds a layer to the game that makes this one of those soundtracks that you want to hear time and time again.

The voice acting for the game is decent, although campy at certain points. Never does it get uneven though or have a voice that feels out of place, as the more serious moments do maintain a more serious tone. I still find it odd that for a futuristic France we end up with British accents, but that's been the way most European English voice-overs are done. The script could have used a few revisions to help affect the flow a bit better, but for the most part I can't frown too heavily upon the writing. I love the use of the memory particularly as in the future it is the colloquialism of memory that is used in passing, as opposed to hellos or goodbyes, that really puts a nice finishing touch on the importance in memory in the world.

As for the graphical aspects of the game, the game looks a bit dated, despite using the unreal engine. The environmental effects and beauty of the world are particularly impactful in the Saint-Michel District and game's boss fights stand out. The character models themselves are decent, but nothing too special, with hair that is unnaturally still at times, faces that are oftentimes devoid of emotion, and movements that seem a bit wooden. The world itself though is fairly consistent, and when you get to see the site of the rebuilt Eiffel Tower it is as breath taking as you would hope. Overall, not the most beautiful of games out there, particularly this late in the console's lifespan, but good enough that it never takes you out of the game or feels awkward.

The only thing better than this view (stop looking at Nilin's butt) is the music that comes with it.

The controls are responsive, although a little slower than what you might be used to. With only a small learning curve, the controls will become second nature. The only real issue is changing your targeted enemy is a bit of a chore, and will likely get you killed a couple times when you're trying to destroy a shield, and instead damage an enemy that reflects its damage back at you. The movement is solid, although some of the targeting for ledges will cause you to fall to your death as the collision detection is a slight bit off.

It may sound like there are some minor technical hiccups, but I assure you the package works well once you get out of the habits that other games taught you. The world of Neo-Paris is brilliant and is easily one of my top worlds of this generation to be created, you can often stop, take in the scenery, and feel like you are in something tangible. The music will add another layer that will blend the classical beauty of gay ole Paris, and the modern world in which technology is slowly engulfing the artistic elements of the city into something new. Everything from the battle music, to the tiny nuances of ceaseless rain will bring life to the world and make the ambience something that is special and truly memorable.

Trophies

The trophies for Remember Me are a bit of a melange. You've got to beat this game on the hardest difficulty, which does have a couple moments in which you're going to have to stop, take a deep breath and focus. The collectables which I mentioned are a bit of a pain, seeing as there are so many of them, but only a small few are really difficult to find. There are a few trophies that are a bit annoying, mainly focused on your S-Pressens, such as one having you hit five enemies with a logic bomb, another doing two "L-bombs" in 15 seconds, and one particularly annoying one involving killing a mob before killing its underlings. For the most part, nothing is too difficult, but you will have to do a bit of set-up and replay a few levels to knock out some of the more specific ones.

Closing Thoughts

Remember Me
    borrows a lot of elements from games out there for its gameplay, but the story and its heroine are one of a kind. The story is a unique, complete, and beautiful take on memories and their implications. The soundtrack is one of the best I've ever heard in any game, and is something I've gone back to numerous times since my initial play. For a first time developer, this is an amazing first effort, and is something that anybody who likes action games should give a go, and will walk away from feeling satisfied. There are enough memorable elements, rather than forgettable ones, to leave a good impression.

Gameplay: 7/10
    The borrowed elements are tweaked to work for the format. Sadly, the Memory Remixes don't particularly work as well, and could have used with some extra alterations in order to be less of an afterthought.

Singleplayer: 8/10
    Nilin is a refreshing take on the video game heroine. The story is very good, and doesn't insult the player by forcing elements that aren't needed. If you want the full take though, be sure to check those Mnesist memories and do some extra reading.

Technical: 9/10
    One of the most memorable soundtracks for a game ever, really bringing the story and setting to another level. The writing could have done with an extra revision or two to reach unforgettable status, but doesn't hurt anything too bad - campy, but in the good science fiction way you would expect from the genre.

Overall: 8/10
    Last edited by Rubicant81; 06-19-2013 at 10:38 AM.

Kiwi Defender

Great job, Rubi. The game definitely sounds like something I'd enjoy, especially with the sci-fi setting and the free-flow combat. I'll wait for the game to get a little price drop before buying it, but I sure as hell will get it eventually.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Lvl 8 - Gold

Very nice write-up, and I agree with it fully. The music was downright amazing. I found myself setting my controller down sometimes in safe areas and just letting the music play while doing other things.
    You basically touched on everything that I noticed, as well. The hardest difficulty isn't too tough, as long as you don't try going gung-ho when there are more than two to three enemies. The boss fights throw some interesting tweaks into the combat (though the second one actually glitched on me, where I couldn't proceed passed phase 2, so some people may want to watch out for that), and the story just kept getting more and more intriguing the further I got into the game.

Really enjoyed my time with this game, and agree with the solid 8 score. Could have been better in some areas, a little more originality wouldn't have hurt, but overall a very good first effort from Dontnod. Looking forward to whatever they bring to the table next.

I'm the Oogie Boogie Man

Nice review, Rubicant. I loved the Batman combat system, so this might be something I should check out.

Outdated Plat-bar by ThunderStick, sig by DaRe, avatar by ROBO3AG13
    Click the sig and be whisked away to my checklist! Or click here to visit my YouTube channel!

Sic Vis Pacem Bellum

too many games i want atm and this is in my sights
    but by the time i get this it might be free on ps plus lol

Lvl 3 - Bronze

If your looking for a easy plat get this game and its quite easy on hard difficulty also on hard difficulty it took me 7 and a half hours to beat
    Daniel Kelly

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Very nicely written review. I've had this game on my radar for a while now, the aesthetics and combat system seems right up my street. I'll probably pick it up after I'm done with TLoU and the price has come down a bit.

Aussie Furry, Bitch

In a multiverses of different bodies and souls

Seems like something I'll pick up eventually. Good job.

XCON: Enemy Without Bail

If the music is as great as hailed here then i'm looking forward to it a bit more, should be getting it through later today.

Another solid review Rubi, kudos.

XCON: Enemy Without Bail

Having played the game for a bit i can now make some points.....

1- The soundtrack/score is indeed fekking briliant, best this year and one of the best i've heard full stop.

2- It looks wonderful for the most part.

3- the fighting is interesting but a little formulaic.

4- the remix system is cool but i can see it getting old quickly.

Overall, a surprise game to date, it's simplistic in gameplay terms but adds the variety in gameplay types and the design and sound are top notch. Not game of the year but a worthy sidebar of 2013's gaming legacy. It's impact will outlive the actual core of the game, a sequel would surely improve upon the current formula.

Goons everywhere

I'm going to have to disagree with this review. Story was good but that doesn't make up for average game play with little things that are annoying. Some of them were a bad camera during combat making it frustrating at times. Not being able to skip the cutscenes, dialog or the tutorials when replaying sections from a loaded save or dying. Also some sections won't let you progress for some reason with having to reload check points in which you got to find the collectibles again and watch the cutscenes, dialog and tutorials all over again. The combat while trying different things just felt hollow. Actually the game felt hollow except for the story which was quite interesting. Overall I say only get this if you can find it cheap or just prefer good stories over gameplay. My score would be a 6.

Now waits for getting