FIFA 12 Review

This is a discussion on FIFA 12 Review within the Game Reviews forum, part of the Trophy Guides, Reviews & Articles; FIFA 12 Review by Curse Basic Information: Developer: EA Canada Publisher: Electronic Arts North American Release Date: 27th September 2011 ...

PRO Member

FIFA 12 Review

FIFA 12 Review
    by Curse

Basic Information:
    Developer: EA Canada
    Publisher: Electronic Arts
    North American Release Date: 27th September 2011
    European Release Date: 30th September 2011
    Trophies: 1 1 14 30

Overview

Everytime September comes around I seem to be doing the same thing, reflecting on the previous years FIFA and often wondering how the advertised new features will fit in, how I'll like them etc. Mid September will come, the demo will leave me undecided. The end of September will come and the game will leave me in awe, and I'll be impressed at how EA, a company that used to be notoriously lazy, have done it again and made the worlds best football game better. This year has been no different.

Gameplay

FIFA12's main improvements come in three forms. A new collision engine, redefined tackles and better dribbling. The collision engine brings a more realistic look to hard challenges, if you go into a 50-50 challenge with your opponent and come off worse, the game shows this perfectly. You'll feel the crunch of a well timed challenge, you'll fear for your player with how realistic some slide tackles from behind look. But its not all without flaws, on numerous occasions I've saw two players tangled together, not that this doesn't happen in real football, but it looks tacky and clumsy and takes you away from the general realism in the game. The dribbling is much more precise now, and you have more control, meaning you can draw your opponent in for the challenge and skillfully cut by them. A lot of my success online has came from this, manipulating your opponent, waiting for their blunders and pouncing on it. On previous games you'd be forced into using skill moves to get past your opponent, but on FIFA '12 you can dominate your opponent by outsmarting them and knowing the sport well.

The new defensive changes have changed the way the game is played, from the start you'll notice the changes, and this will be greeted with the ugly thought of how difficult it is to pick up the defending. A lot of patience needs to be put into it as it's quite frustrating, but these are all changes that in the long run benefit the game plays massively. The defense is all about positioning, timing and patience. Your positioning comes into play as you don't want to be charging in with all of your defensive positioned players, this leaves massive gaps at the back and anyone with their wits about them will punish you for this. The timing comes into play the most, you miss time your challenges and you'll end up with out of positioned players, opposition players playing the ball around you with ease and you'll be making tonnes of fouls. Piecing those two together becomes needing patience, you can no longer go charging in trying to win the ball back instantly, instead yo need to be patience, time it right and strike at the right moment. Now, compare this to FIFA 11 and the others, where you could hold a certain button, win the ball anywhere and end up with a game that doesn't play like real life. Slight tuning has been done to aspects like the passing and shooting, but nothing groundbreaking. The shooting changes were most noticeable, and I love how you can try to confuse the keeper by switching the ball to the other foot and simply placing the ball into the corner on the net. Skilled passing with R1+X is another personal highlight, this forces the player (If he's capable of it) to execute a skilled pass rather than a regular one, meaning you can force your players to backheel the ball past opposition players, things like that, and its a great touch to make the game even more attractive.

The task of scoring attractive goals is now as difficult as ever, but it's so satisfying when you pull it off

Singleplayer

With each new FIFA, EA seem to add on the foundations left behind from previous games for the manager mode, which is the backbone of the singleplayer, and the same seems to be present again this year. The main addition this year is the changes to the transfer system, finishing with the transfer deadline day. For what seems like the first time ever, clubs will be poaching your players throughout the window, you'll reject their offer and a few days later they'll be back with another improved offer. If you have an upcoming young player you'll have bigger teams trying to sign him for cheaper and lure him away from you. Negotiations with other teams seem much more reasonable than on other FIFA games, once you break down the opposition teams valuation of the player, you go into contract negotiations with the player to finalize the deal. But the highlight of the new transfer system comes on deadline day. Anyone who's into football and watches deadline day on skysports will be familiar with the layout, but basically the game gives you ten more hours to make transfers, but the game only progresses an hour at a time. On the side of the screen you'll have the timer and how much has been spent on the final day. It seems like a simple concept, but once you get into the final hours and a last minute bid comes in for one of your players, you're considering if its worth selling them, if you can use that money in the next two hours to improve your current team. It all becomes a busy and slightly stressful ordeal, but it's so fun at the same time.

Not a lot has changed elsewhere however, the virtual pro system is still there, as with custom competitions etc. But the real depth lies in the manager mode, which doesn't have the realism of say Football Manager, but it can be great fun. Alongside the Manager mode I still loved playing as my virtual pro, and although the gameface feature (Which is ran externally through a web browser) will not work for me, it's still fun to try and create yourself in the game and improve your stats. It was nice to see bigger teams trying to poach my own virtual pro off of me in manager mode too. Again, not much has changed with the virtual pro layout, but it's not something that truly needs fixing, but a few more features would've been nice. It's the same complete such and such accomplishment, achieve x amount of points in such and such skill, and so forth. The custom game modes are still present but with no noticeable changes, but they were never really a key part of the game before. They're still fun when you're playing with friends, but they're such an old idea (But still one that works) so it's no surprise that nothing has truly changed.

Yep, Rooney now has some hair

Multiplayer

The basis of the online modes to FIFA 12 is fairly similar to other entries to the franchise, but the way they've presented it has left me addicted to it. Previously, we only really had ranked matches, matches against friends and the FIWC (FIFA Interactive World Cup). With FIFA 12 they've presented it in the form of a league, although you're technically just playing head to head matches the same as in any other FIFA game. But at the end of the game you'll be rewarded points (The regular format, 3 for a win, 1 for a draw etc.) in your current season in your 'league'. Each season is made up of 10 games, and you have goals to reach to avoid relegation and gain promotion to the other divisions. Sounds like a simple idea but it gets you hooked and really not wanting to lose games. The league format also really helps matchmaking and matching you with an even opponent. You'll be in a game with a player from the same division, and they've also put more thought into matching you to a similar team rating-wise. At the same time as the league, there's a recurring cup that runs on a loop. There will be a few days to wait until the cup window, then you have the opportunity to enter a cup based on your current division. This is ran in the same manner, it's technically just more head to head games, but in a 'fake' knock-out format, your cup is solely based around your own performance of course.

The other main addition is friends leagues, not like the ones in previous editions where you'd set up your own league (In the same way you can in singleplayer) these is all automatic and a great feature. Whenever you play your friends, you'll earn points in the same fashion as the head to head seasons, but this league is private between you and one friend. Myself and a friend started the league without even realizing, and at the end of the games the game would be displaying the points we've just earned/haven't earned. This started adding this whole new intensity to our previously friendly games. We'd go from trying out different teams just to keep it fresh on other FIFA games, to trying our very hardest to beat your opponent and try to win this simple league. These two fairly simple changes (Head to head and friends leagues) have turned regular ranked matches into an addictive, competitive league, and that to me is a great simplistic twist to the online portion. FIWC and FIFA clubs are still there but with barely any changes, but they don't exactly need them for the most part. Another addition is a new points and leveling up system that has you earning points for your actions, after X amount of points you'll level up. The point behind this is for both bragging rights and to represent the club you support. At the start of the game, you'll enter the team you wish to represent, then the game averages out each teams average points based on all of the supporters and places them in a league. This is a pretty cool feature that runs in the background, it also gives players something to aim for if they wish. Matchmaking is a breeze, and is really assisted by the more custom game searching with the league format.

For the first time ever, Ultimate Team has been included as a full part of the game, and its stronger than ever. The foundations haven't changed that much so to say but it still brings in massive amounts of FIFA players just for this completely different game playing experience. Returning is the dynamic Ebay style auction system which has its ups and downs, on form versions of players appear in packs and sell for a lot more, weekly updated competitions, weekly updated team of the week etc. All of this constantly updating and changing business with prices of players going up and down stops ultimate team from going stale, and despite minimal changes being made to it, having it in there adds to the replay value of FIFA massively, especially when you consider how addictive Ultimate Team can be.

The Beautiful game is as beautiful as ever

Technical

As always, every team has been fully updated and authentic players and kits. Changes have been made to the main players' appearance in terms of changes of hairstyles slight again etc. And most impressively realistic looking additions such as Carlos Tevez's neck scars, blemishes on younger players faces etc. They've done a really good job of getting the game looking as beautiful as ever, but it's still let down by the ever-present ugly crowd. They look alright from a distance, but as soon as you have a clear, fairly close view they look like a blur of pixels, and most annoyingly the pre-match section shows it off really badly. The main change comes with the presentation of the game, they've revamped the entire house style throughout the game and it comes with better, more user friendly usability. It also looks a lot better on the eye and matches the team colors to give it that slightly unique twist for each team.

The soundtrack is as up to date and modern as you'd expect, with personal highlights coming from The Vaccines and The Strokes. The commentary has been refreshed (After a certain bit of controversy surrounding Andy Gray) and there are now two commentary teams, one for most games and the other for more exciting cup finals etc. The two sets of teams is primarily based to add an extra sense of realism to the manager mode, but the frustrating thing is, the default team of Martin Tyler and Alan Smith are so boring! It might be due to Tyler using repeated lines from other FIFA games, it may be Smith's monotonous tone, but you can definitely tell the difference when Clive Tyldesley and Andy Townsend commentate. As they actually sound interested in the game.

Trophies

Not as difficult as the platinums in FIFA 10 and 11, but not exactly a walk in the park. I was never a fan of the trophies of 10/11 forcing you to play 500 games with your virtual pro, as that's not what the game is about. Instead there is a moderate amount of time needed to be put into each section of the game, and its spread fairly evenly. Atleast 50 hours needed for the platinum but atleast this time it's an enjoyable experience to get there.

Closing Thoughts

They've released the best football game out there, again, and with fairly significant changes made over last year. The lasting appeal is unmatched for fans of the sport, especially with how addictive Ultimate Team can become. Fantastic game, but it leaves me wondering where they can go from here next year.

Gameplay: 9/10
    Big changes made that take a little to adjust to, might be a little too much for some newcomers though.

Singleplayer: 8/10
    Great changes made to the manager mode section but that's about it. Other game-modes have already been mastered so to say in previous additions to the franchise and there's a lot of time to be put into the singleplayer portion

Multiplayer: 10/10
    I rarely ever give out 10's even for sub-scores, but I truly feel that this is deserving. Last years FIFA I gave 9/10, it was good, but if you're not that interested in constantly playing ranked matches with no real purpose it's not for you. This has been combated and the end result is superb

Technical: 9/10
    No real faults here, stunning visuals only let down by the crowd looking blocky and pixelated

Overall: 9/10
    Last edited by Gauss; 10-24-2011 at 07:12 AM.

PRO Member

Hmm...

Must be a European thing, I'll never understand soccer or why people like FIFA games.

Nice review nonetheless.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

Beast Incarnate

I agree with most, it is a great game. 8/10 for me I'd say so far. EA still need to do something about people quitting online games. I had to win 6.....yes 6 online cup games in order to get the trophy, because my opponents would quit out on the 80th or so minute meaning I got the win, but no trophy.

The Incredible Marccap

Nice review on the game. I agree it's a lot easier for trophies this year as I already have 93% of them compared to the other fifa's which took months. Still a very enjoyable game with a slight mix up of trophies this year focusing on ultimate team. It's a nice change not to hear the usual voice of Andy gray and I like the idea of the head to head seasons with your friends.

Add Me on PSN - Marccap

PRO Member

the list of bugs this game has should bring it down to a 7. but i do 100% with you with your MP score for this year.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Good review, due to some minor bugs I'd say 9/10 is (just a little bit) too high. I was very annoyed with the whole creation center bugs, so that would've made it like 8/10 or 8.5/10 for me.

26:
    AC II, AC Brotherhood, AC Revelations, Cars Race-o-Rama, Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs, CoD: MW2, CSI: Fatal Conspiracy, Fifa 11, Harry Potter: HBP, Ice Age DotD, Leisure Suit Larry, Mafia II, ModNation Racers, PoP: Forgotten Sands, Prison Break, Rachet and Clank ACIT, Saints Row 3, Terminator, Godfather 2, Saboteur, Tomb Raider UW, Trivial Pursuit, Uncharted 1, Uncharted 2, Up, WWE LoW.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Multiplayer shouldnt get 10/10. i guess you dont play fifa to often? the servers are down every fucking day. and there are some bugs in the game aswell. my game always freezes if i go from career mode to play a friendly 1v1. still a good review

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Fifa!

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Adzster5310 View Post
    Fifa!
    lol, that's a way to raise your postcount.
    Quote Originally Posted by Klevzz View Post
    Multiplayer shouldnt get 10/10. i guess you dont play fifa to often? the servers are down every fucking day. and there are some bugs in the game aswell. my game always freezes if i go from career mode to play a friendly 1v1. still a good review
    I don't really agree with you. Yes it's true, servers are out like 5/6 times a week. But most of the time it's for less then an hour (still inconvenient though). The only offline bugs I ran into were the Creation Centre bugs (can't edit created teams tactics and logo's are messed up) and sometime pressing won't get you back to the arena or from the menu back to the match. This mostly happens after offline FUT. So most problems are with SP, that's why rating is a bit lower too (I guess?). Multiplayer is sweet as h*ll I've played more online against friends and random opponents then FIFA 11 allready, and so far I own 12 like 10 months less

Note that I still respect your opinion and am not starting a fued, lol.
    Cheers mate.

26:
    AC II, AC Brotherhood, AC Revelations, Cars Race-o-Rama, Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs, CoD: MW2, CSI: Fatal Conspiracy, Fifa 11, Harry Potter: HBP, Ice Age DotD, Leisure Suit Larry, Mafia II, ModNation Racers, PoP: Forgotten Sands, Prison Break, Rachet and Clank ACIT, Saints Row 3, Terminator, Godfather 2, Saboteur, Tomb Raider UW, Trivial Pursuit, Uncharted 1, Uncharted 2, Up, WWE LoW.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by GFCrens View Post
    lol, that's a way to raise your postcount.

I don't really agree with you. Yes it's true, servers are out like 5/6 times a week. But most of the time it's for less then an hour (still inconvenient though). The only offline bugs I ran into were the Creation Centre bugs (can't edit created teams tactics and logo's are messed up) and sometime pressing won't get you back to the arena or from the menu back to the match. This mostly happens after offline FUT. So most problems are with SP, that's why rating is a bit lower too (I guess?). Multiplayer is sweet as h*ll I've played more online against friends and random opponents then FIFA 11 allready, and so far I own 12 like 10 months less

Note that I still respect your opinion and am not starting a fued, lol.
    Cheers mate.
    I respect your opinion as well its just that im really annoyed that the game always freezes when ive been playing career mode. And fifa is often down when i come home. but hopefully ea will fix all this