Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Batman Arkham City Review

This is a discussion on Batman Arkham City Review within the Game Reviews forum, part of the Trophy Guides, Reviews & Articles; Nice review! well done Kerwan...

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Nice review! well done Kerwan

Gab
    Lvl 1 - Bronze

I havent beaten the game yet! but so far the game is everything i hope it to be! the wait has been worth it!!! was there any doubt?? there are some many things to do aside from the main story! im OVERWHELMED!! AWESOME review! i just cant wait to get home and keep playing!!

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Denaratuck View Post
    I'm curious as to what you thought of the game Gauss as your taste in games is similar to mind judging from your past reviews and thoughts on games.
    I don't mean to insinuate this game was bad. I got to play a bit over at my brother's house when it came out (he is a huge Batman fan), and just don't feel like this is one of those games that really stands-out from the crowd.

The story, from as far as I got, felt like alot of fan service (very similar to the previous title). Much like the previous title my primary complaint is the story isn't well structured for people who don't already know the batman universe. To someone like me, whose only exposure is from the movies, I spend large chunks of the game lost in the shuffle of poor character development.

It also doesn't help that this game has TOO MANY CHARACTERS. This compounds my previous point, its fine if you already know the characters coming in, but to someone on the outside (or just in terms of traditional story telling) too many characters get muddled, harming the final presentation.

Couple that with the fact that this game has alot of busy work... Alot...

I don't know, my personal opinion this is a good game, but really doesn't stand out for me. Its kind of like GTA4 for me, alot of fun to play, but the moment I turn the game off I forget about it. The story doesn't have alot of staying power, isn't intellectually challenging, and doesn't have any real stand-out characters or character development (unless, as I said, you go into the game already knowing all of them).

Before I get blasted, just note this perspective is coming from someone who is not entering the game as a Batman fan. I have no preconceived notions or knowledge of most of these characters.

Even as a casual observer of Batman, this story is nothing special. Dark Knight and Mask of the Phantasm both run circles around this story.

That being said, thats really my only complaint. The gameplay is flawless, I wish more games adopted this style of combat. I also really like the way this game handles stealth and you as a Super Hero, it adds alot of good tension. I am also really happy with how Rocksteady has painted Arkham City. It has both scale and character.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

Perfecting since 1996

Great review! Too bad I probably will still not be getting it.

Sig by Bladia

Lvl 3 - Bronze

great review!!!! this game is next on my 2-do list!!!!

PRO Member

Wow a very EXCELLENT review, you answered the questions I had about the game and trully made my decision to repurchase the game, as my first copy was stolen before I even played it,

Aussie Furry, Bitch

In a multiverses of different bodies and souls

Quote Originally Posted by Gauss View Post
    Don't agree with the score, but nice review nonetheless.
    That's fair enough. We all have our different tastes and styles.

Quote Originally Posted by BurBode View Post
    I actually agree with the score. Probably one of the best games ever made in my opinion. But Again, I'm a huge Batman fan.
    So am I; but that doesn't matter as the game is so brillant.

Quote Originally Posted by dsluckay View Post
    oh my god, I need this game. Great review Kerwan
    Thanks, and yes you do need it. Right. Now.

Quote Originally Posted by Curse View Post
    Holy reviews, batman!

Great review Kerwan, just picked the game up today and reading that was a nice introduction to what I can expect. I'll have to see about the 10/10 score though
    Indeed so. You may be surprised - as I was - at how awesome it is.

Quote Originally Posted by apokolypz View Post
    Nice review, I lol'd at the "Riddler taking SAW movies too realistically." I do agree with the score, and I hope to plat this game when I get it for Christmas!
    Well when you see a fair amount of the Saw movies and then see how The Riddler acts that comment is inevitable.

Quote Originally Posted by The-Game View Post
    just started playing it, it's perfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by ShindaUsagi View Post
    Where's the catwoman love?! ~laughs~

Nice review. I missed out on the first. Definitely getting this one.
    Then make sure to get the first one and then work your way to this.

Quote Originally Posted by digitalman123 View Post
    I find this score well-deserved. This game did something that the PS3 hasn't yet: deter me. I was in the first Deadshot side-mission, but I ended up finishing an hour or more after I started because of the huge side-tracking ability this game has. Absolutely amazing.
    Yeah, I really enjoyed this aspect; it happened to me a few times. You could stumble across a side mission and completely forget what your real objective was because of how fantastic the mission was.

Quote Originally Posted by thirtle1705 View Post
    Good review. I got the game but have not played it yet. I need to get on it now!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by njdog102 View Post
    Nice review Kerwan. I've had the game since its release but just haven't gotten around to it yet. I'm looking forward to enjoying this just as much as I did Arkham Asylum.
    What? You haven't played it yet? You're missing out on a lot guys. Seriously...

Quote Originally Posted by NOFORPAIN View Post
    This is a KR score I can put myself behind!

I said when I was 2 days in that if whoever reviewed it didnt give it a 10 they should be banned! And having started NG+ and gotten all riddles and all but 2 challenge rooms done, I am still interested! I am only 2 campaigns in and they seem the difficult part this time around! The single challenges are not to bad but be wary of those modifiers in the campaigns...
    Wow, thanks.

Don't worry, I won't be banned anytime soon at this rate. And is NG+ really that much more difficult? I wouldn't have thought so. I'll have to see that for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Denaratuck View Post
    Nice review Kerwan but I have to ask if you read it over a few times before posting as there are several grammatical errors and mistakes? I know they're easy to miss but some of them you should of noticed. For example you referred to Mark Hamell as Mark Hameii twice in the review. Don't take this the wrong way, as I'm only providing constructive criticism, but perhaps you should spend more time reviewing or rereading what you write before posting it. This is my only gripe. Other than that, an excellent review and I look forward to playing the game.

I'm curious as to what you thought of the game Gauss as your taste in games is similar to mind judging from your past reviews and thoughts on games.
    No problem; a quality and self-respecting member of RT should always be open for criticism and constructive feedback. I'll made use to fix that in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by badreligionbomb View Post
    here is my take on it... Game Informer RARELY gives 10's for games.... this was one of them
    And I rarely do the same. Actually, I haven't ever done the same. So this is an exeception.

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderStick View Post
    Great review Kerwan

A definitely buy, no doubts
    for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ12302 View Post
    why is everyone saying whether they agree with the rating or not??? do people even read the reviews??? its up to the reviewer to say what THEY think...anyways, awesome review and very humorous. I love this game, and it is possibly the greatest story game (to those who haven't played the mgs collection). It seems like a short story, but theres an endlessness to gameplay including riddles, fighting medals, and side missions. I think they balanced it out perfectly.
    True, but it's also up to others to say if they agree with the actual review and score itself; and I love reading through all these comments like this.

Quote Originally Posted by saumiyan View Post
    maybe i will pick up the game when the price drops
    Quote Originally Posted by marccap View Post
    Nice review. Once ive finished off a few games Im on this!
    Don't wait around. Get it now, and make sure you buy it new. Rocksteady more than deserves it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    I believe the 10/10 is fully justified, as I would go so far to say that this is definitely one of the best games in existence!

Great review Kerwan!
    Thanks, and I couldn't agree more.

Lvl 4 - Silver

10/10 for me too. game of the year so far but still got uncharted 3 and ac3 to come yet

Lvl 5 - Silver

This is a great game and a nice review. I agree 10/10.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I agree with the score. This is one of the best games I've played. Graphics are AMAZING!! This game has the BEST combat fighting style. No game can even come close to that. The fight with that Demon guy forgot his name is EPIC. The way we had to take down Mr feeze was AMAZING. The way that fight was setup was great.. AMAZING GAME !!!

PRO Member

I agree 100% with the score and review!

MY PLATINUM TROPHIES
    Assassin's Creed II | Borderlands | Godfather II | Spare Parts

Sig credit goes to "BLADIA" from Sigs & Beyond

KANSAS CITY METRO AREA GAMERS GROUP

Banned

I agree with the score and review. 10/10.

My top three GOTY of 2011 (so far)

1. Batman AC
    2. Deus-Ex
    3. Portal 2

Trophies soon.

I was getting this game anyway but I enjoy reading your reviews and I can see this game deserves no less than 10.

Aussie Furry, Bitch

In a multiverses of different bodies and souls

Quote Originally Posted by omnislash View Post
    I was getting this game anyway but I enjoy reading your reviews and I can see this game deserves no less than 10.
    Thanks. I knew I could count on your support.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Nice review, I give this game a 10 as-well. Got it the first day and it's the bomb. For those who don't have it, I suggest you get it or try your hardest to.

PRO Member

i just finished it 30mins ago great game love it!

PRO Member

I love how the length of the game is long to for the playthrough i didn't feel like i needed to rush it or wanted to since i had to answer phone calls and save political prisoners and all of that going for the plat though will be a bitch in a half can't wait for late november when robin and nightwing DLC will be on the PSN btw will be 6.99 each character and will come with all the challenge maps even the ones that were preorder only.

Lvl 6 - Silver

Batman i want it i want it Now getting mine next Thursday damn Shipping delay Can't Wait !!

Toggle Spoiler

For me trophies have become an integral part of gaming, like a stereo in a car. Is it really necessary? No. Is it a lot more fun with it though? Hell yeah!

quoted by Robinworldwide

Lvl 6 - Silver

great reveiew, i am still waiting for mine to come hopefully it will arrive today

Lvl 2 - Bronze

If it's better than previous game then it deserve a 10. Nice Review!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast