Meta-review: Assassin's Creed Unity

This is a discussion on Meta-review: Assassin's Creed Unity within the Game Reviews forum, part of the Trophy Guides, Reviews & Articles; Basic Information Developer: Ubisoft Publisher: Ubisoft Platform: PlayStation 4 North American Release Date: November 11, 2014 European Release Date: November ...

Editorial Team

Meta-review: Assassin's Creed Unity

Basic Information

Developer: Ubisoft
    Publisher: Ubisoft
    Platform: PlayStation 4
    North American Release Date: November 11, 2014
    European Release Date: November 13, 2014
    United Kingdom Release Date: November 14, 2014
    Trophies: 1 | 1 | 13 | 36

Gamespot - 7/10
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Walton
    Assassin's Creed Unity is at once comfortingly familiar, yet drastically different. For all its recognizable tropes, and for all its throwbacks to Assassin's Creeds of old, Unity is surprisingly progressive. The sprawling narratives and endless procession of historical figures that have come to define the series have given way to a sharply focused, personal tale that eschews moments of joviality for something altogether much darker in tone.
    IGN - 7.8/10
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Sliva
    Assassin’s Creed Unity leverages the new-generation consoles to add spectacular new sights and successful co-op multiplayer, but in doing so, it’s created some substantial new problems instead of solving the series’ most persistent ones. The scope is stunning, the customization is satisfying, and the multiplayer touches upon some really ambitious ideas. But the lack of a strong main character or interesting take on the Assassin’s Creed universe costs it momentum and excitement, and the persistent control problems are still a thorn in its side. The first truly new-gen Assassin’s Creed game is a gorgeous, entertaining, and successful proof of concept for what lies ahead for the series, though it isn’t what I’d call revolutionary.
    Eurogamer - 7/10
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bramwell
    As the seventh major instalment in the series, though, not to mention the first designed for new console hardware, Assassin's Creed Unity feels like a missed opportunity. Going back to basics at this point may have resulted in a less substantial game than recent years have led us to expect, but it might have delivered a more satisfying one.

Polygon - 6.5/10
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Gies
    The ingredients are all here for a spectacular new standard for the series on Sony and Microsoft's new machines. But in the quest to build something that looked and sounded "next generation," Ubisoft Montreal failed to fix the problems that have accumulated over so many annual release. Combined with an uninspiring story, and a long list of considerable technical problems, Unity falls short of the fresh start Assassin's Creed needs.
    Joystiq - 5/10
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Prell
    Unity is capable of inspiring loving adoration while simultaneously bringing you to boiling hatred. It aims high, fails more often than it triumphs, and is in dire need of a technical re-tweaking. At the same time, whenever the pieces align, it feels like coming home
    Destructoid - 7/10
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Carter
    Assassin's Creed Unity doesn't live up to the new standard set by Black Flag, but it's a journey worth taking if you're already into the series, and proves that the franchise is still sustainable.
    So that's what a selection of reviewers throught about Unity. Do you agree, or are you surprised? Let us know in the comments below
    Last edited by Faust; 11-11-2014 at 12:50 PM.

Lvl 4 - Silver

Ew, polygon.
    I knew this asscreed was going to be just another game to throw in the series.

Lvl 5 - Silver

For those of you disappointed by the scores posted here, know that as of my writing this, the metacritic scores are:
    76/100 on Xbox One, based on 32 reviews
    81/100 on PS4, based on 9 reviews

There are a handful of reviews in the 50-70 range, but nothing below 50, and the majority of reviews are around 80 (with a few on either side of that). This meta-review only seems to include some of the best known websites.

It sounds to me like the game is standard AC fare, but gorgeous in visuals and scope thanks to the new generation of consoles. The story is weak and Arno isn't very interesting, but the gameplay is solid as always, and there is a lot to do. There are, however, apparently a number of technical problems with the game, but nothing of the sort that can't be patched out in the next month or two I would think.

Ultimately I think it boils down to a good game that just doesn't have as good a story we were hoping for, and doesn't improve upon the series as much as we'd hoped the first entry on the new consoles would. So, not as good as AC2 or Black Flag, but worth a purchase. Anyway, that's my two cents.
    The Jolly Green Giant
    Has a stable full of hos
    Except instead of ladies
    He pimps out potatoes

-Roast Beef

Hunter-Scholar-Gentleman

This is unfortunate; I was really hoping AC Unity would push the series into a great new direction. A little bit like the new Call of Duty game has built on a good foundation of gaming mechanics and is pushing the genre forward in the right direction. I think it will always be debatable as to how innovative a new game in a franchise can be, some people want more, others are okay with less. But the more I read about Unity, the more disappointed I get. I'll be picking up my copy this afternoon and make my own opinion on it, but I had higher hopes.

The Road So Far And The Road Ahead
    `2nd place Trophy Checklist (2013)
    `Checklist Spotlight #2 Winner (2014)

Currently Playing
    `Assassin's Creed: Unity [83%]

Signature & Avatar
    `courtesy of DaRe_xLw

Kiwi Defender

I'm glad I don't buy Ass Creed games at release anymore. I was rather interested in Unity due to the French Revolution setting, but alas, it seems that's not a good enough reason to play the game until it's got a bargain bin price tag.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Gorilla see, Gorilla do

Having thoroughly enjoyed Black Flag I was looking forward to this, but after reading various reports and watching various videos showing the games shitty performance and seeing it has more popin than an urban dance competition, I'll give it a pass. Dragon Age next week to boot.

Big thanks to Bladia for awesome sig
    "Unfortunately the Nazi's don't play cricket - if they did, we wouldn't be on opposite sides now."

Lvl 7 - Gold

This, as with all games, should be played before it's judged. I bought the game and I like it a lot so far. Try to ignore the scores and play it for yourself before you say you were glad you didn't buy it.

Trophy Guide Grand Master

I haven't started playing Unity yet as I decided to start AC Rogue first. I'm betting the game is better than the scores and can't wait to play it. I'll be curious to see what kind of scores they give Rogue compared to my thoughts on the game

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by DaveyHasselhoff View Post
    I haven't started playing Unity yet as I decided to start AC Rogue first. I'm betting the game is better than the scores and can't wait to play it. I'll be curious to see what kind of scores they give Rogue compared to my thoughts on the game
    Metacritic has 4 reviews up for the 360 version right now. Post Arcade (90), Game Informer (83), Canadian Online Gamers (80) and Multiplayer.it (80).

The PS3 version has only 3 reviews, one of which is Game Informer's. The other two are Power Unlimited (80) and IGN Italia (75).

Either way, it's doing better than Unity so far, but there's hardly any reviews as of right now to be able to claim it's been better received.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Dull Ember

I gave up on Assassins Creed after playing 2 for a couple of hours. I can't believe the series has even got this far, definitely not for me.

Needs More Rum

Well I'll decide for myself whether this is a good game or not tomorrow when I pick it up.

Awesomely awesome sig by Beam
    The Local Drunk's Experience With Trophies

Lvl 8 - Gold

I never enjoyed the series, its extremely boring.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

main story games or side games?
    anyway connected from 2 and on?

Needs More Rum

Quote Originally Posted by SirWaWa View Post
    main story games or side games?
    anyway connected from 2 and on?
    Main story game. It's not connected to any of the other games in the series except AC: Rogue.

Awesomely awesome sig by Beam
    The Local Drunk's Experience With Trophies